Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Has Advertising to Kids Changed?

Companies are making headway in trimming their advertising of unhealthy foods to kids. That's the latest from the Council of Better Business Bureau (CBBB), which began implementing The Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative in January 2007. Thirteen food and beverage companies are participating in the program, which aims to not advertise directly to children under 12 unless the products that they are advertising meet specified nutritional standards.

Advertising to children is no small business. In 2006, more than 40 food and beverage marketers spent $1.6 billion promoting their products to children, the Federal Trade Commission reports. About $870 million of that total was spent marketing directly to the under-12 set. Just under half of that money went to television advertising and half of television ad dollars were directed at children under 12, with breakfast cereals and restaurant food leading the charge. Carbonated beverages and restaurant food dominated adolescent-directed television advertising, the FTC report says.

A study of television advertising to children that was released last September, showed that more than 97 percent of ads directed at children under 12 and more than 89 percent of those targeted at teens were for products high in sugar, fat or sodium. The study was funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and looked at ads in a nine-month period in 2003 and 2004.

In 2007, though, the CBBB began its self-regulatory program. Companies participating in the program agree to devote half of their advertising directed at children under 12 to their more nutritional offerings and/or to encourage good nutrition or healthy lifestyles. They have also agreed to limit their use of other companies' licensed characters in advertising, stop actively placing food and beverage products in programming for kids, incorporate nutritional content in interactive games and stop advertising to children in elementary schools.

Many key details, though, have been left up to the companies. For instance, companies define their own "better for you" foods. Their criteria for those foods must be consistent with scientific or government standards such as the USDA 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. And companies also decided how to specify programming aimed at children under 12. For instance, The Coca-Cola Co., which the report says does not "engage in child-directed food and beverage product advertising" defines that programming as all media in which 50 percent or more of the audience is comprised of children under 12. Meanwhile Hershey's, which the report also says doesn't advertise directly to kids, defines that as media in which 30 percent or more of the audience is children under 12. The initiative only applies to "measured media, TV, radio, print, Internet (including company-owned Web sites), interactive games (advergames) and elementary schools," and not venues like Hershey Park, says Elaine D. Kolish, the director of the Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative.

The CBBB says that the companies that have fully implemented its program are Campbell Soup, Coca-Cola, Hershey's, Kraft, Mars and Unilever. Those that have partially implemented: Burger King, Cadbury Adams, General Mills, Kellogg, McDonald's and PepsiCo. ConAgra will begin implementing its program later this year.

The FTC report compliments the CBBB initiative for taking "important steps to encourage better nutrition and fitness among the nation's children" and stressed that more companies need to do the same.

Have you seen a change for the better in television and Internet advertising aimed at your kids? What about product placements in kids' shows?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  July 30, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Elementary Schoolers , Newsmakers , Tweens
Previous: Sore Losers | Next: Mister Rogers and the End of an Era (Maybe)

Comments

I watched the Disney cartoon flick "Peter Pan" on network TV this weekend. A lot of the annoying "commentary" was blatant advertising for street trash Tinkerbell stuff.

Posted by: Tiger Lilly | July 30, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

What is next? Birth control pills shaped like flintstone vitamins?

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Me

"When a 15 year old girl (Mylie Cyrus)is the spokesperson for condoms I say "yes" - advertising will affect my children. I can think of few things less appropriate."

Spelling errors tend to take the punch out of a rant. It's Miley.
Whom would you prefer as a spokesperson for condoms?

Posted by: Wendy | July 30, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey me, along the same idea as your 7:32, what do you think about a free condom that comes with every Happy Meal or as the prize kids will search for in the box of Fruit Loops? I think it would be great if companies began encouraging kids to make healthy choices like practicing safe sex.

Posted by: Do-Gooder Inc. | July 30, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Wendy wrote:
"Spelling errors tend to take the punch out of a rant. It's Miley.
Whom would you prefer as a spokesperson for condoms?"

Um - for one thing this wasn't a "rant". I was stating my opinion which is what was requested.
For another - so what if I spelled her name slightly wrong? You obviously knew who I meant.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

What in the world happened to parents turning the television off and telling the kids to go outside and play, or go read a book, or a scrub a toilet, or something?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

TV is evil!

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | July 30, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"And to answer your rather inane question - I would prefer someone who isn't jailbait as a spokesperson for something that is used for sex."

You mean exclusively for sex. Even whipped cream can be used for sex, you know?

She'd (M.C.) be a great candidate for Gardisil though.

I find it helpful to only take the kid(s) who will be helping prepare the menus and meals. When they have a calculator and a budget, they start to get it that those little things aren't cheap.

Wanna start a sobering family game? Go find foods that have NO high-fructose corn syrup. It's really challenging. (Breyer's doesn't!)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

TV is evil!

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | July 30, 2008 8:39 AM

Put the bong down, Whacky.

Posted by: GC | July 30, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey DB, dude, like do you want to drink the water or something before I pour it out?

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | July 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

i think one thing that has actually helped for me is that i've bought something for my son that he saw advertized on tv. he really really wanted blendy pens & the ad made them seem so cool. son got them for christmas even though i knew that he's not the type to draw. he discovered that the pens aren't nearly as much fun as the commercial made them appear. that started a conversation on how commercials are trying to sell something & don't believe every thing that you see on tv. the pens were $20 but they've been worth far more for the lesson they taught.

Posted by: quark | July 30, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | July 30, 2008 9:06 AM

Save the water for AB. He needs it to "take off the edge"...

Posted by: GC | July 30, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

My stepchildren are little so obviously I don't have to worry about condoms for quite some time to come and that may colour my perceptions but...

I think that Miley could be a good spokesperson for condoms. If a teenager is going to have sex, I would prefer he/she to use a condom rather than have unprotected sex. If using a contemporary of teenagers as a spokesperson encourages sexually active teenagers to use condoms... I am all for it.

Posted by: Billie | July 30, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

fr Wendy:

>...Spelling errors tend to take the punch out of a rant. It's Miley.
Whom would you prefer as a spokesperson for condoms?

How about someone who is NOT a minor??? I wonder if little miss no-talent has ever heard of the term statuatory RAPE?? Were I her parent, she'd be yanked off that stage, and sent to a REAL public high school to finish her education. Then and ONLY then would I consider maybe allowing her a few music lessons.

Posted by: Alex | July 30, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Get it right Wendy!

If you are going to call out a spelling error, you should correct the whole taco!

Flintstone should be capitalized as it is a proper noun.

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"I think that Miley could be a good spokesperson for condoms"

I can see Miley saying it now, "I'm not a sl*t, but I play one on TV..."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Grammar Sheriff, Thank you.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The thought of a picture of a 15 year old girl pasted on a box of condoms to promote "safe" sex is just plain sick.

Posted by: Hanna jumped the shark | July 30, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Flintstone should be capitalized as it is a proper noun.

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:31 AM

Missing comma alert!

Posted by: GC | July 30, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Can't we all just get along? I don't understand why everyone is so mean to everyone on this blog! It makes me so upset and I start crying. Where are my friends Donna and Cecilia? I know they feel the same way. We're just good, decent parents who raise our kids with old-fashioned values.

Posted by: Amy | July 30, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hanna jumped the shark | July 30, 2008 9:41 AM

Spelling Police!!

Posted by: WTF? | July 30, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Corrected Comment

Get it right, Wendy!

Flintstone should be capitalized as it is a proper noun.

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:31 AM

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Grammar Sheriff, Thank you.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 9:37 AM

No trouble ma'am (tips his hat), just doing my job.

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Grammar Sheriff, Thank you.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 9:37 AM

No trouble ma'am (tips his hat), just doing my job.

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 9:55 AM

How do you know "Me" is a ma'am?

Posted by: Cute | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

In 1984, the U.S. government chose to deregulate children's programming/advertising, which had a huge impact, allowing companies to market directly to children under 12.

Thus we saw the rise of product lines across movies, fast food joints, tee-shirts, toys, etc. over the last 25 years.

The FCC has a responsibility to oversee this but does not.

Posted by: SJR | July 30, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

How do you know "Me" is a ma'am?

Posted by: Cute | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM

Because there are only about 3 men who post on this blog. AB is one of them and I forget the other two but "Me" is not one of the other two.

(Brian does not count.)

Posted by: Grammar Sheriff | July 30, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I recommend a book I just finished reading (I'm not connected to the author; in fact, just get it from the library):

Taking Back Childhood: Helping your kids thrive in a fast-paced, media-saturated, violence-filled world
by Nancy Carlsson-Paige, EdD.

It just came out and has some great ideas about protecting your kids -- the author acknowledges we can't live in a media-free world and has ideas about how parents can interact with their kids when they do view violence/sexualized images, etc.

I personally find it sad that we allow our children to be exposed to the violence on TV (as a culture and as a family). Have you ever been watching a show where a commercial came on for a horror movie? Those can be quite scary -- and it's just a commercial!

Posted by: SJR | July 30, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amy | July 30, 2008 9:44 AM

Amy - get a grip. If you think this is bad, wait till ArmyBrat and ATB get on here and start hating and slamming people.

Posted by: Nancy | July 30, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a she.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Another reason to not have a TV ....

....making sure what your child views!

Posted by: loving parent | July 30, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Stacey, this blog is losing a lot of good posters because of all this trolling. I'm one step away from leaving myself.

Is there a way to get back to actual discussions with wide ranges of viewpoints and some type of respect?

I skip over all these troll posts because I find them dull. There's not much left!

Posted by: SJR | July 30, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

SJR

"I personally find it sad that we allow our children to be exposed to the violence on TV (as a culture and as a family)."

If you are so sad about it, why do you allow your children to be exposed to violence on TV?

Posted by: Confused | July 30, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think this is an excellent topic to discuss. I know I have been mocked for what I allow my little precious to see and hear. This is exactly why. I certainly don't need trash like condom ads by underage people and mutilation movies to be viewed by my child. Children grow up too fast as it is. I certainly don't want my little precious to be a jaded and blood thirsty consumer at the age of ten.

Thank you, SJR, for the book recommendation. Since I am at the library right now, I will request it.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 30, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cecilia | July 30, 2008 10:27 AM

Don't forget to order that ball-gag for hubby's birthday!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

There you go again, mocking me. (10:29) I just may not post here anymore. You seem to confuse me with Donna---who I don't know.

Stacey please take this disgusting comment down!

Posted by: Cecilia | July 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

What is next? Birth control pills shaped like flintstone vitamins?

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 7:32 AM

Get your facts right. Miley's not a spokesperson for Lifestyles or any other condom company. The condom manufacturer used her fame to get some press by stating that issued a press release saying it had offered her a contract. It had not. End of story. Except that now you are blaming Ms. Cyrus for something in which she was not, and is not involved.

Do you people actually read any of the news or do you read 2 words of a headline and go off on a rant? You ought to be embarrassed at your ignorance. That would require a conscience, though.

Posted by: Get Real | July 30, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Cecilia -
I'm not mocking you, but don't you sometimes feel like crying after reading these mean posts? I don't understand why people can't get along. You are such a nice person and I think we could be BFFs with Donna too!

Posted by: Amy | July 30, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

AB and I don't hate and slam "people." We hate and slam trolls.

My kid is too young for commercials just yet. We do some commercial-free morning programming (Disney Playhouse [though technically that's a brand], Discovery Kids, and WETA Kids), but not much. I don't like her to get more than 30 minutes of screen time a day. Mostly she wants to see YouTube videos of babies laughing, which we made the mistake of showing her. Really, at this age, just the packaging in a store is enough for her to want something.

Posted by: atb | July 30, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

You certainly have quite a big opinion of yourself. I would not call what any of us have written a rant about Ms. Cyrus - now your writing is up there in rantness (I made up a word - don't hit me Grammar Sheriff but it was necessary). I don't see where anyone has blamed her. We were simply stating our OPINION (still allowed here, right?) that we FEEL that her being a spokesperson would be inappropriate. Period.

Posted by: Me to Get Real | July 30, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

SJR: You bring up a good point. We like watching football, hockey and baseball with the boys, but the ads for some movies and shows are way too violent. I've also been disturbed at G movies to find previews for much more violent fare. The last one we saw had an ad for Transformers, which was rated PG-13.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 30, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex | July 30, 2008 9:29 AM

me to get real - I would call what alex wrote a rant

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"Alright, folks. Back to the topic at hand. In case you need your memories jarred, it's advertising to kids. And I'd still love to hear from parents about what kinds of ads your kids see and whether the junk food ads have slowed to a dull roar."

Dull roar - 41 comments (including spelling & grammar stuff) in 4 hours for this topic.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

so that we all calm down in here a little, here's a little eye candy for you all:

www.dlisted.com/node/27439

or google image search "Jessie Godderz"

Posted by: calm down | July 30, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"I've also been disturbed at G movies to find previews for much more violent fare. The last one we saw had an ad for Transformers, which was rated PG-13."

That brings up another, unrelated point about which I WOULD LIKE TO RANT! When I go to the movies, I don't want to see ads for anything. I did not pay $9 to be subject to more advertising. (The slides at the beginning are fine, I'm complaining about the commercials that go along with the previews). And furthermore, I don't want the flight attendants on airlines telling me about exciting credit card offers.

Posted by: CS Dad | July 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CS Dad | July 30, 2008 11:20 AM

Yeah! And all the ads on this blog really suck!

Posted by: CS Mom | July 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah! And all the ads on this blog really suck!"

Maybe, maybe not. But this blog and washingtonpost.com is free. Something's got to pay the electric bill. I'm talking about being subject to advertising when I've presumably already paid for the service.

Posted by: CS Dad | July 30, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't think my kids see many junk food ads. When they were younger, we'd use the DVR to tape shows that ran without commercials. Now they might see some, but they have never asked me for food that they saw on TV.

If they did, I guess I would decide whether or not it's something I"m willing to buy. If not, I would say "No," maybe give them a reason, and that would pretty much be that.

I don't really get this issue, I honestly don't. Do kids really harangue their parents so much about food they see on TV? And I'm not exactly the world's strictest disciplinarian, but I am the one actually paying for the groceries. I can, and do, say no. What's the big deal?

Posted by: MarylandMom | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylandMom | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM

I agree. People on this blog forget that they are the parents, and should act like one, instead of trying to be Dina "white oprah" Lohan.

Posted by: Nancy | July 30, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

What the heck does this mean:
"trying to be Dina "white oprah" Lohan"

Dina Lohan is NOTHING like Oprah. At least Oprah does some things for the good of others. What does Dina do for anyone other than Dina?

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What the heck does this mean:
"trying to be Dina "white oprah" Lohan"

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM

dina proclaimed that she was the "White Oprah."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks. I hadn't heard that. Now that is funny!

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What the heck does this mean:
"trying to be Dina "white oprah" Lohan"

Loud mouthed know-it-all (with a crappy education) who needs to be in the spotlight. With a big bag of b.s. See the resemblance? Sherri Shepard is another example.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The Dina Lohan stuff is from a troll who tries to stir up some sort of competitive crap between this blog and Celebritology.

Ignore it and it goes away.

On-topic, I don't care what ads my kids see on tv. I control the checkbook and know how to find the off switch on the set. It's not the manufacturers' or advertisers' job to raise my child. They sell products. I raise kids. 'nuf said.

Posted by: Geez Officer Krupke, Krup This | July 30, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy | July 30, 2008 11:49 AM

Nancy

If people had common sense, there wouldn't be a need for the OP or the OB or the Achenblog.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

THIS is a big deal to me. When I take the kids to see Kung Fu Panda, I don't expect to have to explain to my 6 year old daughter suggestive dialogue, and actors engaged in French kisses and placing their hands on their partners' derrieres in ads for PG-13 movies. The content of the preview should match the rating of the show for which I've paid admission.

Posted by: Ardelia | July 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Geez Officer Krupke, Krup This | July 30, 2008 12:11 PM

Makes sense, but what happens to all the OP DEBATES "Barbie v. Bratz", etc.?

Posted by: Baby John | July 30, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Baby John,

That's the difference between Stacey and the rest of the universe of parents. Stacey is all about the products, all the time. Ergo, the quest for The Perfect Water Bottle.

Posted by: oompaloompah | July 30, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ardelia | July 30, 2008 12:16 PM

Your 6 year must be pretty dumb. Why would you have to "explain" anything to her?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"...the quest for The Perfect Water Bottle."

If this is as deep as it gets then you can figure out why people get mean - boredom.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

fr: anonymous

>...me to get real - I would call what alex wrote a rant

Nope, not a "rant". A rant would be me shrieking at the top of my lungs about how can someone with NO discernable talent be seen "singing", wearing virtually nothing, and having a "father" who is trying to revive his sagging career through his child. What I wrote was plain common sense, nothing else.

Posted by: Alex | July 30, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SJR | July 30, 2008 10:22 AM

SJR, what blog were you reading before? It wasn't this one. Since it's inception, this blog has never had discussions with wide ranges of viewpoints and some type of respect.

Posted by: What planet is she from? | July 30, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

My Personal Favorite WaPO.com "Debates":

OB - tied between Wedding Ring and Keeping Maiden Name - both typical female oriented, elitist B.S.

OP - "To Leash or not to Leash"- your own flesh and blood that is, not your pets.

Posted by: LOL | July 30, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex | July 30, 2008 9:29 AM

Alex. It's simple blog arithmetic. Use of allcaps more frequently than one out of every 1000 words indicates a rant. 4 out of 58 words? Not a close call, Dude.

Then there's that little issue of the target of your rant. If you are this worked up about Miley Cyrus, you must need to be physically restrained or severaly medicated when you discuss Britney Spears. Maybe stop reading People Magazine and devote all that energy to some cause that matters.

Posted by: Get Real's Second Cousin Once Removed | July 30, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"The content of the preview should match the rating of the show for which I've paid admission."

I totally agree. I don't like going to see kunf fu panda either and seeing pg 13 crap with 5 year old. Typical hollywood, their values are so out of whack, they actually rated the dark knight as pg 13.

Posted by: yep | July 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: to Alex | July 30, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"...you must need to be physically restrained or severaly medicated when you discuss Britney Spears."
Don't let her start on the Lohan girls then...or MaryKate and Ashley.

Posted by: Me | July 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Because of the Tivo and netflix my children have almost no exposure to TV advertising aimed at children. All they hear about they hear about from their peers or they see in the stores. My kids do request to go to toy websites to play the online games, so in that sense, that is probably the advertising they see and it's not at all like the advertising we saw as kids.

Posted by: DCer | July 30, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yep | July 30, 2008 12:50 PM

Adult sits through Kung Fu Panda without attempting suicide and complains about inappropriate preview....my IQ just dropped 10 points.

Posted by: Um | July 30, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

To the OP lurkers. Jesse is from Iowa. That is what all guys look like in fly over country!

Posted by: not the governor | July 30, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylandMom | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM

A voice of reason in this wilderness! Thank you MarylandMom for cutting through the carp.

Posted by: Vegas Mom | July 30, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Ignore the dlist troll.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 1:21 PM

What is your problem? Someone likes the picture of Jessie, and you're calling her a troll? There is absolutely no reason for you to be calling people names. Perhaps this is why people stop coming to this blog since people like you insult others for absolutely no reason.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylandMom | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM

Do you leash your kids?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah for MarylandMom! it sounds like you're a good mom to me. Nothing wrong with adults standing up and saying 'hey I'm the adult here and I'm the boss' you rock!

Posted by: dotted | July 30, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Do you wash your hands?

Seriously, she gave a good answer and you ask a nonsensical question.

Posted by: To 1:48 | July 30, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Obviously advertising exists for a reason. Obviously people are upset about the IDEA of Miley being a condom spokesperson because they know the impact it has and the message it sends. (Personally I think it makes sense- targeted and educational advertising, our culture is so hypocritical, claiming we want more education, children who make more responsible choices, and then immediately shutting down any reasonable attempt to focus on the REALITY of the situation)

However, no amount of advertising in the world will overcome immediate personal values and influences. They took away a lot of cigarette advertising and I'm still stunned whenever I see someone younger than me smoking.

Don't count on the people selling their product to be responsible when it comes to anything that might lead to FEWER sales. But I would say parents shouldn't worry about it- if they do their job and teach and show good values, keep their kids informed, show how to make good responsible choices, then it's not really an issue at all.

Posted by: Liz D | July 30, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dotted | July 30, 2008 2:09 PM

I agree. Thank you MarylandMom. You sound like a really good parent, someone just like me and Donna and Cecilia

Posted by: Amy | July 30, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

MarylandMom is nothing like Amy or Cecelia. She doesn't break into tears at the least little distress.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Cutting through the carp -- one fish at a time.

Posted by: Huh? | July 30, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Gardisil, several of my friends have told me they had their daughters vaccinated - but didn't tell them what it was for because they didnt think they were ready to hear about sex! Instead, they told them it was 'a shot for middle school'. Wondering if any of the rest of you have encountered this.

Personally, I'm pretty uncomfortable with the commercials for erectile disfunction, his and her intimacy gels, birth control and gardasil, all of which tend to come on during the breakfast TV shows.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

2:49's next comment is:

"Interesting moral compass"

some reference to Leslie Morgan Steiner.

Now that you know what's coming, ignore it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"I did not pay $9 to be subject to more advertising."

In fact, you did CS Dad. Absent the advertising I'm guessing your ticket would have cost a lot a more.

Posted by: hollywoodnomics | July 30, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Also, Captain Crunch doesn't wear any pants, only underwear. don't believe me? Google it.

This stuff was around 30 years ago, nothing has changed except the death of Joe Camel.

Posted by: Sex in Advertising | July 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"I remember watching a commercial for Push-Pops, an ice cream treat packaged in a cylinder about 6 inches long, and an inch and a half in diameter. It was presented on the screen erect at a 85 degree angle as an 11 year old girl with stringy blonge hair took it in her mouth about 3 inches down."

Posted by: Sex in Advertising | July 30, 2008 3:29 PM

The blonde sounds like Leslie Morgan Steiner.

Posted by: AT | July 30, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Whom would you prefer as a spokesperson for condoms?"

Barbara Bush: "If George and I had used Lifestyles, I wouldn't have had that idiot son who's in the White House."

Posted by: Trojan Man | July 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 8:25 AM

This was me, I forgot I'm not automatically identified (OnBalance).

I'm not MarylandMom, but I suspect I'd like her if I met her in person!

MM

Posted by: Maryland Mother | July 30, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

fr to Alex: Alex, do you live in Fairfax County? You sound exactly like an Alex I know who lives there, so now I'm just trying to see that it's not the same one.

Nope. Northern CA. LOVE the WaPo.

And to "for get real": I do NOT get "worked up" about little "singers" like spears and cyrus, as I don't consider them real musicians. Both are in serious need of growing up. Were I a parent, my kid would NOT have anything with pix of those two on them.

Posted by: Alex | July 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Whom would you prefer as a spokesperson for condoms?"

Posted by: Trojan Man | July 30, 2008 3:50 PM

Posted by: Emily think this was funny | July 30, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Alex,
Is that you from the Lizards Blog?

Posted by: Emily | July 30, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Alex is still shouting. He couldn't be a lizard. They'd have shot him by now.

If he ever becomes a parent, he might get some perspective on stuff worth shouting about. Doubtful, though.

Posted by: Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't | July 30, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 1:37 PM

It's not working if you are still here, Hall Monitor. The same post, every day, on a blog that is not devoted to such is bo - ring. Take it back to that other blog where it also if posted every day.

Posted by: oh my my | July 30, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

My daughter did not see any commercials until she was 4 years old. She did not watch tv that often and when she did she only watched pre-recorded material.

When she was 4 I talked to her about advertising and marketing. I told sometimes when food doesn't taste good or is bad for you, companies will try to sell it to us by putting characters that are popular on the box. That advertisements often exaggerate how great the product is. That companies know that parents will often buy things if their kids ask for them and so they try to get kids interested in toys or food by advertising, making references to them within tv shows and movies, etc.

It is amazing how much she picked up from this discussion. It is nearly three years later and she will still make references to this talk. "Just because I like Spongebob, doesn't mean I need to eat snacks in the shape of Spongebob" or "Look, they are trying to trick me by putting this display at the end of the aisle" or "I don't think they needed to mention X-box by name in that show" are all things my daughter has commented on. She doesn't ask me to buy junk (not that I would anyway) and she feels proud that she "knows the secret".

Posted by: BLJ | July 30, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse