Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

The Perfect Water Bottle

I'm in search of the perfect kids water bottle. Durable. Spill-proof. Washable.

Sippy cups were bad enough. Drop them, bang them -- in general, treat them like toddler boys -- and many would start to leak regularly. Usually, the leak-proof insert had simply dislodged. Um. Didn't they say that thing was leak-proof? Did they actually hand these cups to toddlers for a few weeks for testing? And so, off to the next brand I'd go, finally settling on Gerber as the winner in a combination of less leaking than many and not overly expensive. That is, until the boys shredded the plastic on the spouts so much that the cups needed to go.

By then, though, it was time to put the sippies behind. After all, what six-year-old wants to be caught without a "real" cup? Next up: cups with plastic straws. The First Years Take and Toss cups are fine in the house, but I'd certainly never call them spill-proof. And I'm sure we're leaching more chemicals than necessary into the kids by reusing them over and over. I thought we'd found a potential winner with the Luv N' Care Flip It No Spill Straw Cup. But alas, the boys chewed right through the straw. And for some reason, the tops stick, making it difficult every time they need a washing and a refill.

So, now it's time to try again. With all the concerns about BPA in plastics, BPA-Free became an additional criteria. Friends love Thermos' Foogo Cup, and they seemed pretty durable at a recent trip to the park. But trying to find the larger size for the older kids is nearly impossible. They're sold out online and in most stores. Sigg makes good bottles, I heard. As an added bonus, the bottles have lots of colorful, creative designs. They, too, are difficult to find. Even the Sigg site isn't selling them right now because of heavy demand.

So, last week, I shelled out big bucks for BPA-free metal cups for the kids at onlinefitness.com. These things don't come cheap (about $20 per bottle), but they looked somewhat indestructible. Or so I thought. Within just a few days, four-year-old managed to put a dent in his. And washing them's harder than I thought. I'm off to the store, now, to find a bottle brush to fit in the small opening.

Jeremiah McNichols at Z recommends had his 2 1/2 year old test some metal cups last May. Born-Free and Sigg scored the highest in his house. What cups have you tried and loved? Which ones aren't worth the money?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  July 23, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Elementary Schoolers , Preschoolers
Previous: Barbie vs. Bratz | Next: Moving: 719 Miles and a Million Questions

Comments

What did parents do before water bottles were invented?

Posted by: Curious Yellow | July 23, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

We have a Sigg bottle, and, well, I don't love it. Mine hasn't dented yet, but I know that they do dent easily. The opening is small and it's hard to clean.

I've heard good things about thermos funtainers (also fairly easy to find right now in the back-to-school aisles) and about Clean Canteens (that one may be spelled with Ks). But frankly, I'm done with expensive and annoying cups. We're trying to phase out sippies altogether before DD turns 3, and in the meantime we'll rely on the inexpensive and BPA-free Nuby cups we've had since DD was a baby.

Posted by: NewSAHM | July 23, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Since my kid will only drink water out of a sippy/straw/regular cup, I'm less concerned about this. If it leaks, it's just water, so no big deal. I just get whatever is BPA-free and cheap. Even if she did drink milk, we'd restrict it to in a chair. I don't like food and non-water drinks all over the house. Only water and crackers are allowed in the car, and that's plenty messy.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if they are BPA-free but we simply used ordinary sports bottles (what bicyclists used before camelbacks) such as http://www.onlinefitness.com/product.cfm?pr=2625

Sure they're big but the kids don't outgrow them. We just filled them 1/2-full when the kids were little.

Posted by: slacker mom | July 23, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Both Nalgene and Camelbak make BPA free versions of their water bottles now. You can find them at www.campmor.com.

Siggs are a pain to clean, and our Thermos foogo purchased months ago at Target is great because it's well insulated, but my son has chewed up both the straws that came with the cup and the plastic around the bottom has partially broken off from being dropped, so it's not perfect either if you've got a rambunctious little guy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"What did parents do before water bottles were invented?"

Teach them some table manners, to not "drop," "bang," or "shred" their family's property.

Save the crazy plastic drinking contraptions for college.

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

OT,

Got busy yesterday before I could respond a bit. Freida has finished chemo and is on to radiation. Her hair is staring to grow a bit. No longer is she Momma Kojak, she is now Momma Peach Fuzz.

She is doing much better now that she is 7 weeks away from chemo.

All others in the family are doing fine. All 4 children are employed!

F.

Posted by: Fred (and Frieda) | July 23, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

CamelBak sells a bottle with a bite valve and straw. (Now it's BPA-free.) If you ever do something to any of the 3 pieces (bottle, straw, lid), each piece is replaceable. The bottle also comes in several sizes.

Posted by: JAC | July 23, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

We never used sippy ups because we never found a brand that didn't leak for my oldest. Everyone else went straight from the bottle to a regular cup by about 14 months old. We keep our cups at the table and only fill with a little at a time to keep spills to a minimum. I do have little rubbermade cups with flip up straws that work well for the car, but we only take water in the car so small leaks really are no big deal.

Posted by: Momof5 | July 23, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Fred - so glad Frieda is doing well. Maybe the hair will come in better than it was before? We'll keep you in our good thoughts.

I'm with common sense dad. Kids don't need to be toting drinks everywhere and by 4 certainly, they can learn to respect your property and the things you purchase for them or they don't get another. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Moxiemom | July 23, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Alright folks. Another question for you. One big reason I feel we need some kind of water bottle is school/camp and when we're on the go. The kids don't drink enough at school in general and offerings are milk and juice at lunch whereas my kids drink water more than the other two. I always pack a water bottle in with lunch. How do you handle drinks for school lunch if your kids only use regular cups?

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 23, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

It's not about fretting and isn't about mealtime consumption either. We encourage our kids to drink water and the best way to do that is to permit sport bottles, only with water, throughout the house and in vehicles. Glasses don't go out of the kitchen or in our car. We could bar water outside the kitchen as common sense dad and moxiemom imply, but we WANT them to drink water, LOL. It's one of the easiest healthy habits to develop in one's kids.

Other than that, I can't get excited about yet another blog column about buying stuff and using stuff. There is so much more to parenting than what to buy, what's been recalled, etc. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

We always have water, for us and the kid. It's incredibly hot outside, and we spend a lot of time outdoors. I don't feel the need to restrict water. On the other hand, she doesn't always need juice, milk, and snacks.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Common Sense Dad

"We drank out of a glass like the rest of the family. Certainly once children reach the age of three, they can drink out of a glass or normal cup. I did not realize someone would fret over what kind of baby cups to buy for a six year old."

Yeah, I'm really confused about this topic. The MMs on this board are gung ho on B.S MANNERS (Thank You Notes must be in cursive writing or Mummy's vagina will dry up), but can't seem to teach their kids simple table manners. Then the MMs giggle/brag about their kids destroying property.

Posted by: What's the deal? | July 23, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

What MN said. Sheesh. God forbid your kid get thirsty outside of the allotted drinking time.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: What's the deal? | July 23, 2008 8:55 AM

You're here. What does that make you?

Posted by: Angela | July 23, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Stacey

"How do you handle drinks for school lunch if your kids only use regular cups? "

My kids drink out of the water fountain with the rest of the masses.

Posted by: Karla Marx | July 23, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, atb. Back at ya.

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Stacey, check, point noted.

This is still a little surprising to me because my daughter is not in school yet. And when I was in elementary school in the mid 80's, if we wanted a drink we got it from the water fountain. If memory serves, I think there was one in every classroom.

Actually, now that I open up these memories, I remember after recess and after PE classes, we would line up at the nearest water fountain. The teacher would appoint some random child to be the "water buffalo" (God knows where that came from, and I'm sure it sounds offensive now) but his/her authority was to count out the length of time each child was alotted to drink. "One, two, three next..." I think the "water buffalo" had control of the faucet and water supply as well. Now I'm really starting to sound old, and I'm only 28.

Anyway, back to the dilemna at hand. What's wrong with reusing a regular plastic water bottle of Dasani or whatever, like I do? Is that BPA or something?

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

then go with a thermos. My mom used to pack a thermos with a drink every day in my lunch, in the days before juice boxes. Then you could pour your drink from the thermos bottle in the thermos lid, that turned it into a cup. AND, amazingly enough, thermoses are easy to refill at the water fountain. So even if your kid has an after-school activity, they can refill their "water bottle" at the water fountain, and get on with life.

And if you buy the rubbermaid water bottles, that I use at work, you can order extra straws - it's about 25 cents for a dozen of them.

Posted by: jb in va | July 23, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

We quickly stopped using sippy cups when at age 3 both my children needed speech therapy. The speech therapist said that often the culprit is sippy cups which develop the wrong muscles around the mouth. We stopped the sippy cups and did some excersises/therapy for a short while -- no more speech problems!

Posted by: 12SLP34 | July 23, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Why do the kids need a special water bottle? Once the child is in school, they should be able to handle regular drinking cups. For portability, why not just buy a case of water and drink from those bottles? You can get he kind with the sport bottle lid. They are portable for the car, summer camp, etc. And they can be used by the whole family.

Posted by: prarie dog | July 23, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

My daughter needs a good spill-proof cup for camp. It's not about whether or not she can drink out of a regular cup. Camp rules are "water in a spill-proof cup (no sport bottles)". We're currently using Playtex Coolster Tumblers and have had pretty good success with them. I've only had them leak if I overfill them (and the one time I forgot to put the valve in!) They're also BPA free - and they're only about $5 each. Still, I'd like to have some more options, especially as she gets older.

Posted by: Also Looking | July 23, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

praire dog

"For portability, why not just buy a case of water and drink from those bottles"

Or refill bottles from the tap at home!

Posted by: Save $$$$ | July 23, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Some of you need to revisit an elementary school lunchroom. Teachers generally don't permit random, constant marches to the water fountain.

I'm not losing any sleep over BPAs. I'll take my chances on encouraging water consumption in a fiscally sane manner rather than worry about some obscure health risk. I have better things to do than spend my time searching for the perfect crap to buy.

Posted by: Ge Real | July 23, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Give them water in a regular plastic cup/glass. If they spill it, they help clean it up. If they will only drink from a certain type of cup, then they go thirsty. Geez!!!

Posted by: SpareTheRod | July 23, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

We use the litterless juice boxes by Rubbermaid. They're not too pricey, you can get replacement straws, and they seem to wash up fine. Mind you we only put water in ours.

I am not advertising for them but on their website they do say that the litterless boxes are BPA-free (I looked it up).

They don't fit in cup holders but to be honest I am not really a big fan of using the car as a dining room on short hops.

Posted by: Shandra | July 23, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Fred and Frieda, happy to hear from you. Great to hear that Frieda's doing well and the kids are employed.

Re: today's topic: say what? I agree with those who say that by 2 or 3 at the absolute latest we transitioned to regular cups/sports bottles. Water whenever and wherever they want it; clean it up if you spill. Other drinks at the table or occasionally outside in the yard.

If we have to pack a drink with school/camp lunches, they either got water bottles or juice boxes. Water bottles can be either re-usable sports type bottles, or just buy a case of bottled water. Juice boxes are the 100% juice kind. Other drinks? Just drink out of the fountain (although a number of schools have had lead found in the water system, so that can be an issue).

Last thing - I've picked up a number of "travel mugs" as handouts at engineering conferences I've attended. Often, they're good quality insulated mugs with tops that fasten nice and tight. They're made for adults to drink coffee/tea out of "on the go" but they work well for younger kids in the car, too. And I really don't care about the logo - half the time the company's already out of business. :-)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 23, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I remember those thermoses in the plastic lunch boxes. But that was in the lunch box, which was deposited into some bin at the beginning of the day to be retrieved at lunch time.

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

My kids drink out of the water fountain with the rest of the masses.

Posted by: Karla Marx | July 23, 2008 8:59 AM

Our school asks that the kids bring in water bottles so they can just drink when they are thirsty without having to leave class. Our kids just use regular sports water bottles. I know we're bad parents because they are plastic, but they are cheap so if they get lost it's not a big deal.

Posted by: Dennis | July 23, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Save $$$$,
that is a great idea. Invest in one case o water, on sale for 3.99, and you have 24 refillable bottles. No 20-buck shellout for a fancy container.

Also Looking,
as you child gets older the enforcement at camp will not be as strict. Just curious, why the ban on sports bottles?

Posted by: prarie dog | July 23, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't rightly know about bottles but we are always be carrin' our canteens. Every time we sees a creek, we gets a cold drink from its and fills our canteens. Don't a-wanta get plumb thirsty while a-huntin' that weasel and other varmits.

Posted by: Jed Clampett | July 23, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Common Sense Dad

"Either way, there was no drinking at our desks. No air conditioning. And my part-time-work-from-home SAHM certainly never realized she should have been worrying about how much fluid I was ingesting during the day. But alas that was two decades ago."

Ha, ha!
And you probably weren't picking your nose while masturbating 24/7, but I digress from the topic...

Posted by: LOL! | July 23, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Prarie Dog:

Well, it's a morning camp for 2-5 year olds. My guess is they don't want the kids using squeezable sport bottles as substitute water pistols. A couple of kids squirting water out of their sports bottles would get really messy, really fast, I'd guess.

Posted by: Also Looking | July 23, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

You are way too practical for Stacey.

"With all the concerns about BPA in plastics, BPA-Free became an additional criteria."

She likes to impose purchasing criteria based on the last recall or buzz amongst upper middle class parents with nothing to do but wring their hands over something so insignificant, no one with a life would care.

Posted by: anonforthis | July 23, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Dennis

"Our school asks that the kids bring in water bottles so they can just drink when they are thirsty without having to leave class"

Oh, brother!

Posted by: Ha! | July 23, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

We also have that thar new fangled plumbin' at the house in the Hills. But Granny don't be a-trustin' it too much. So, Jethro and me digged a water well right there in the front yard.

Them thar city folks that lives around us don't a-like it too much, so we had to hire one of thems exterior decorators to make it look pleasin' and all. Now, folks comes from all overs to pitch pennies in it. Sometimes we even get a dimes or two. Yeee-Haaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: Jed Clampett | July 23, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"we WANT them to drink water"

From Jane Brody's July 22, 2008 column, "Health 'Facts' You Only Thought You Knew"

I had long believed that eight glasses of plain water or caffeine-free beverages a day were important to keep the body hydrated and to prevent constipation. Perhaps the toilet paper manufacturers were behind this notion. Researchers have been unable to find scientific support for it.

The Institute of Medicine recently noted that you can meet your body's need for liquids in many ways, including drinking coffee and tea (with or without caffeine) and eating fruits and vegetables with a high water content. Two clues that you may need to drink more are thirst and the color of your urine, which should be clear like, well, water.

If you are physically very active, especially in hot weather, repeatedly sipping cold water is helpful. But beyond two quarts, you may need to also replace the salts lost in sweat -- for example, by drinking a diluted sports drink or eating foods with salt and potassium.

Posted by: too much of a good thing? | July 23, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"This is typical. The twenty minutes twice a day devoted to kids lining up at the water fountain is lost instructional time. You wanted NCLB? You got no water fountain time."

Yeah, but now you'll have alot more lost time due to bathroom breaks.

Posted by: anon | July 23, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

What ever happened to kids lining up at the water fountain on their own time during recess?

Posted by: Recess | July 23, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

My daughter uses a thermos in her lunchbox and when my son lost his thermos we switched to refilling a glass, yes glass, Yoohoo bottle in his lunch box. Not broken yet and sometimes I write jokes or draw pictures on the glass that then washes off in the dishwasher. He knows not to throw his lunchbox around. I firmly believe that kids live up or down to your expectations.

Posted by: Moxiemom | July 23, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"The chances of a minor dying in a pool accident or because of a drug overdose are much higher than the chances that BPA will impact him. Those topics are too serious for this blog, though."

Motion affirmed. Most of the topics are about CRAP aka STUFF to the MMs. Today's topic is a classic example. "Perfect Water Bottle",!! Ha! MMs love "perfect".

Posted by: Unintentional humor | July 23, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

too much- The thing about being a toddler is that my kid drinks when she's thirsty, not because she read that she needs X ounces of water a day. I trust my body to tell me when I need a drink, and I trust hers. If I offered her milk and juice all day, I wouldn't trust it. I'd assume she likes the taste/sugar. Talk about low tech and common sense. This is about as basic as it gets.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"I firmly believe that kids live up or down to your expectations."

That's absolutely the most intelligent and sensible line written on this blog all morning.

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Ge Real: "In our experience in 3 different elem schools, kids were not permitted to leave their assigned lunch table to get a drink from the fountain. Add to that, all 3 schools required us to send a beverage in the lunchbox. Last year, our daughter's school required two beverages in the lunchbox: one for school, one for afternoon snack. We prefer water to juice boxes and high-calorie beverage pouches."

Wow. None of our kids' various elementary schools ever "required" us to send a beverage in a lunchbox - for that matter, they never 'required' us to send in a lunchbox. First, the kids could always buy school lunches; and second, kids who brought lunch from home could buy milk. The only rules were on what the kids COULDN'T bring from home; mostly, no glass bottles. (Yes, there are always some kids bringing juice or other drinks in glass bottles the first couple of weeks of school.)

Agree with you on the BPA, btw - in the list of things I consider significant health risks these days, that's pretty darned low on the list. But it's the "toxin of the moment", apparently, particularly given WalMart's decision not to sell bottles with BPA anymore.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 23, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 23, 2008 8:52 AM

Stacey, thanks for the clarification. But I have to say, this is a topic I haven't given a moment's thought to before this AM, and I wonder if you're making it more complicated than it really needs to be. My default is a standard sport bottle. When we go out on a hike, I'll pop on a dorky-looking belt that holds two of them (or one regular sport bottle and one bottle of Gatorade for DH), and the kids manage just fine. For longer hikes, those are supplemented with a Nalgene bottle with screw-on lid, which goes into the backpack.

When leaking is an issue (like if I want to throw something into the baby bag), I use a refilled bottle of Dasani or Aquafina. I don't tend to buy bottled water in general, but sometimes if we get caught without and need a drink, I'll pick one up, and then just keep and reuse the bottle. My son especially enjoys the really small ones, because they're just the right size for him to handle on his own. The last thing I'd want to do is buy a special, expensive cup or bottle to send with them -- it's just one more thing to worry about them losing or destroying. :-)

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

atb

"The thing about being a toddler is that my kid drinks when she's thirsty, not because she read that she needs X ounces of water a day."

Wow! That must be some kid! She drinks only when she is thirsty?

Posted by: Mmm | July 23, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I trust my body to tell me when I need a drink

Posted by: (hic!) | July 23, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: too much of a good thing? | July 23, 2008 9:30 AM

maybe for adults, but kids are not in danger of voluntarily drinking more than 2 effin quarts of H2O per day. The point is that making it easy for your kids to develop a taste for water is a better parenting move than encouraging them to develop a taste for soft drinks, juice or milk.

Next up, some enviro whacko will chastise us about purchasing bottled water and how we're being mean to Planet Earth.

Posted by: Omar | July 23, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

where are donna and cecelia? i'd love to hear what their thoughts are on this.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

None of our kids' various elementary schools ever "required" us to send a "beverage in a lunchbox - for that matter, they never 'required' us to send in a lunchbox. First, the kids could always buy school lunches; and second, kids who brought lunch from home could buy milk."

Duh. The requirement to send beverages is only applicable to those who send a lunchbox. Of course, you can buy school lunch, Sherlock.

Posted by: Ge Real | July 23, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My neighbor who was evicted recently told me about fighting with his girlfriend and said, in a furtive tone, "once I did slap her a leetle beet, jus' to get her attention, thas all".

Posted by: jelo | July 23, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Wrong blog, jelo. Get back. Get back. Get back to where you once belonged.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Probably, but parents and other adults are susceptible to encouraging or forcing them to drink too much water.

That's cuz plastic bottles in the landfill are so good for the environment.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Ge Real - My dear Watson, perhaps you didn't read the rest of that sentence, which says that kids who brought lunch from home can buy milk?

Signed, Sherlock

(Sheesh, this guy's weapon of choice in a knife fight is a plastic spork!)

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 23, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think this topic is dead, so we might as well digress a bit.

How far we've come from my parents' and grandparents' days when the children were encouraged to drink the cream off the surface in the milk bottle in order to help them get more of the fats and nutrients.

Now all we yuppies can talk about is making sure our kids develop a "taste" for water instead of milk. If your water does have a "taste" you should buy a Brita. But I'm kidding, I know what you mean, it's better than a Big Gulp of "juice" all day.

Looking around my work center right now, I'm the only one without a beverage in front of me. I see two Starbucks cups, three coffee mugs, one 20 oz Diet Pepsi (which will probably be the first of three or four today for him) and two water bottles.

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

OMG! My kids are screwed!! No water bottles, and no afternoon snacks/drinks at school! At home, they get water from the tap! Oh, no!! And worst of all, when my kids break a luxury item - they do without. I better check out the lead paint my house. OMG! What about my pets??? And my visitors? Can I give the mailman a drink of tap water?? I must call my Book Club.

Thanks for the Heads Up, Stacey! I don't know what I would do without you!

Posted by: Worried | July 23, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Heads Up, Stacey! I don't know what I would do without you!

Posted by: Worried | July 23, 2008 9:52 AM

LOL! I like your humor. You should come and post on the celebritology blog. You seem to have some wit, unline the typical MM's on this blog. Come have a drink on the island!

Posted by: jelo | July 23, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"I better check out the lead paint my house."

Sir/Ma'am,
That actually IS a big deal.

Posted by: Common Sense Dad | July 23, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

No, but it's modeling unhealthful behavior when a child is most impressionable, and exposing the child to secondhand smoke. Sorry, but you can't rationalize irresponsible behavior with straw men.

Posted by: uh, no | July 23, 2008 9:45 AM

*Sigh* I am not rationalizing. I simply didn't realize this was the ideal parenting blog. I thought we snarked on celebs behaving outside the bounds of generally accepted sane behavior. What's next, faulting them for feeding their kids juice that contains high-fructose corn syrup? Come on. There's more fun material here than that.

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 9:53 AM

Posted by: MN espousing her unpopular views EVERYWHERE | July 23, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I've been lurking on this blog for a while now, and all the discussions seem to focus either on some activity in which your child is enrolled or on some item that is purchased for your child. Surely that isn't all parenting is? Did I miss the era of the non-financial discussion?

Posted by: mlc | July 23, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

After much of the same problems described here, especially including the polycarbonate option and then the impossible to clean stainless bottles, I've come up with a happy solution for myself and my 5yo. I simply use a stainless steel interior coffee commuter cup. The best one I have is my own, which I bought from Starbucks and it isn't "supposed" to be spill-proof, but when it it's flip open cap is closed, it really is! I bought similar ones for my boys at Walmart, but these will spill if they fall over from the car cup-holders. So the next time Sbux has the design I like available, I will buy two for my boys, even at the exorbitant price. They are simple to clean, BPA-free, and we are not dumping more plastic with single serving bottles. My 3yo is currently using a smaller kid-styled (Cars) stainless-steel thermos with a flip top and straw that I was blessed to find on clearance at Kmart for $5 at Xmas. Went right into his Santa stocking.

To those people who ask why are bottles needed, my children have actually been drinking from cups since they could drink at all. They went from breast to cup. No sippy cups. However, we live in Palm Beach County, so a morning out to the library, grocery, etc involves lot of heat, especially now in the summer. I refuse to spend money on drinks for thirsty kids because I don't plan! Small bodies can only take in so much at a time, and they get dehydrated more quickly. Also, my kids don't drink juice, so single serving juices are never really an option, not to mention their impact on the environment.

On a final note, just because there are other risks in life to our kids, like swimming pools, it does not logically follow that as parents we should not also concern ourselves with other issues like whether our children are ingesting hormone disruptors, or pesticides in their food. Being a parent is a multi-faceted and complex responsibility. It does not end with just keeping them from pools and cars in the road, etc.

Posted by: HBrownWhyte | July 23, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jelo | July 23, 2008 9:47 AM

If that's what passes for wit with you, jelo, the Lizards are likely to push you away from the island on your own personal life raft.

You are but a one-legged man in an a$$-kicking contest compared to the Lizards.

Posted by: marc anthony | July 23, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"They went from breast to cup."

Whoa! At what age?

Posted by: Are we really going there? | July 23, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I saw an article about drinking from water bottles on the news. It isn't a very good idea. Here is what I foung for you to read:

Story By: Bea Karnes
Source: NBC

Washington, DC Published 50 day(s) ago
Water is touted by many as the world's healthiest drink.

Some call it the secret to losing weight; others say it can be cure-all for things like dry skin, hair and nails, but one doctor says drinking bottled water could actually be like smoking three packs of cigarettes a day.

According to D.C. dermatologist Dr. Marilyn Berzin, dozens of women have come in puzzled by lines and wrinkles around their lips.

It's a condition termed "smoker's lips" because of the similar pattern of wrinkles found on the faces of long-term, heavy smokers. But many of the women have never smoked a day in their life. Instead, they're drinking from water bottles.

"When you're drinking from a water bottle, you're pretty much making the same face as you are when you're smoking a cigarette," said Berzin. Berzin said that over time that face creates permanent lines.

People who drink from water bottles with either sport or straw tops or nozzles, consistently, all day long, for about two years, will start to develop noticeable smokers lips, according to Berzin.

And it's not just older people. Berzin said she has had patients as young as their 30s.
Berzin recommended that water drinkers use wide-mouthed bottles or cups, allowing the upper lip to stay relaxed while drinking.

Melissa, 54, is the picture of health. She runs, bikes and competes in triathlons. That's why she needs to keep hydrated. She drinks out of water bottles while at work and while working out. "It never occurred to me that hydration was detrimental to my face," Melissa said.

She said she's not giving up her water habit or changing her bottle. Instead, she's choosing to get a cosmetic treatment to fix the problem. Typically, doctors will use a filler to fill in the wrinkles around people's lips.

But, if it's not too late, Berzin emphasizes avoiding bottles that have a sports top.

Posted by: Donna | July 23, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

9:57, your life is pretty empty if I am all you think about, on multiple blogs all the day long.

I seek integrity and fun. You seek popularity and nastiness. Viva le difference.

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

atb

"Using someone else's tag is so cute. I just want to pinch your fat, acne-covered cheeks."

Classic MM.

Posted by: atb | July

Posted by: I rest my case | July 23, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"I better check out the lead paint my house."

Sounds like you ate a few too many lead paint chips in your childhood.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I rest my case.

Classic troll.

Posted by: mamma mia | July 23, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

HBrownWhyte |

"Also, I know the water they get in their SS cups is clean....I fill them from my Big Berkey water filter before we leave the house in the am. An added bonus to the commuter coffee mugs, is they are designed to retain the temp. of the beverage, so if I fill my cup with water and ice and leave it in my car for 1 hour at 110 degrees, the water will still be cold when we get out of the store."

OH, MY GOD! Talk about a life of effing desperation! How much time do you and the kiddos spend in the store?

Posted by: WOW!! | July 23, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Viva le différence"? Zut alors!

Quelle poseur. Vive la difference!

Posted by: Pepe Le Pew | July 23, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

....what is an MM?

Posted by: Embarrased not to know, but... | July 23, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

an MM is someone hated by those who wish they were cool Lizards, but alas are not.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Pepe, that's what you get when your French fluency is insufficient to travel without a handy English to French dictionary. Good enough for blogs. Not good enough for real life.

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

MN - clap clap clap! I love your 'viva le difference'

I've been lurking for a while. I do have to wonder why people fret about this so much. You can buy milk at school. If you want water breaks at a fountain, or filling a paper cup for lunch, then talk to the school about accommodating. I'm sure the school will accommodate. If it won't then raise your advocacy level until they do. I certainly wouldn't waste my time spending money all over the place when a simple paper cup solution would solve it. But then what would Stacey, etc. do with all their angst?

Posted by: dotted | July 23, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 07/22/2008 11:59:16 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH--The director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and UPMC Cancer Centers plans to warn about 3,000 faculty and staff about the possible health risks associated with cell phone use.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the advisory will go out on Wednesday.

It suggests certain measures to limit exposure to the electromagnetic fields emitted by cell phones. The advisory suggests limiting the length of conversations or keeping the phone away from the head by using headsets or speaker phone options. It also recommends against children using cell phones except in emergencies.

CTIA-The Wireless Association, a group representing the wireless industry, told the newspaper that most studies published in scientific journals show wireless phones don't pose a health risk.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Stacey...how old are your kids and why do they insist on chewing through straws? Disgusting! Did it ever cross your mind to tell them "don't chew on the straw!"???? Seriously, I see kids with their sippy cups practically glued to their hands EVERYWHERE and it's so unnecessary! Almost every public place has a drinking fountain and if you need a portable drink, just use something in the house you already have and fill it with tap water! Do you think your kid really cares whether his bottle is stainless steel or plastic or whatever? Overthinking people!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Is HBrownWhyte related to ArmyBrat?

Posted by: Windbags need not apply | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 10:19 AM

Je voudrais (censored)

Posted by: Pepe Le Pew | July 23, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Fred,
Continuing best wishes to Frieda. My MIL went through chemo and was pleased to find her hair came in curly (actually wavy) afterward. I always told her that what she'd been through would make anyone's hair curl!

Posted by: anne | July 23, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

MM = Mean Mommy

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Almost every public place has a drinking fountain?

You haven't been out much lately. First, the average park doesn't even have a drinking fountain, let alone every public place. When was the last time you visited the downtown Mall for whatever reason. Unless you want to buy water, you are looking at one long walk for your 6 year old to find a public drinking fountain that doesn't involve entering one of the museums and dealing with security.

Second, once you get outside a major city, the average drinking fountain you find is either out of service or really disgusting. Fountain maintenance is a pretty low priority for fiscally-strapped municipalities. Why would you want your kid putting his lips near a public fountain? It does not make much sense to teach them to wash their hands before handling food items and then encourage public fountain use.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Cancer from cell phones! I just called DH. He won't give up his cell phone because he needs it for his VIP job, but I'm taking away my kids' cell phones the second they get home from Space Camp!

Oooh, I better call my mother in Pomona! Gotta run.

Posted by: TC | July 23, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

...Fountain maintenance is a pretty low priority for fiscally-strapped municipalities....

It must be Cheney's fault.

Posted by: anon | July 23, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Je voudrais (censored)

Posted by: Pepe Le Pew | July 23, 2008 10:24 AM

Sorry - Pepe - didn't realize you were an enculé.

Fous le [censored] et morte.

Posted by: MN | July 23, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Why would you want your kid putting his lips near a public fountain?

Gee, why don't you teach your kid not to put his lips on the fountain?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

" Unless you want to buy water, you are looking at one long walk for your 6 year old to find a public drinking fountain that doesn't involve entering one of the museums and dealing with security."

Then the kid waits!!! Why is that so hard to understand?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

De même.

Posted by: Pepe Le Pew | July 23, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Then the kid waits!!! Why is that so hard to understand?"

Realize that the kids of most of this bunch haven't waited for anything in their lives.

Posted by: good point | July 23, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I have been on this quest too. I am completely irritated that you have to research a water bottle. I bought one and the damn thing leaked everytime my kid took a drink. Another one leaked everytime it tipped. Not a bid deal but now you have a kid who is getting sports drink on him left and right. I finally found one that worked but i felt pissed that i wasted so much time and money on such a stupid thing. Wish the ceo's got that sports drink allover their suit, maybe they would design a better product.

Posted by: water bottle rant | July 23, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

My little precious uses a sippy cup. I don't understand any of this conversation about the "perfect" bottle.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 23, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Almost every public place has a drinking fountain? "

Guess what , homeless bums are using that public water fountain to bath, drink from, wash their crusty privates etc. I wouldn't let my kid near a public water fountain.

Posted by: dee scuus ting | July 23, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Second, once you get outside a major city, the average drinking fountain you find is either out of service or really disgusting. Fountain maintenance is a pretty low priority for fiscally-strapped municipalities. Why would you want your kid putting his lips near a public fountain? It does not make much sense to teach them to wash their hands before handling food items and then encourage public fountain use"

PLEASE!!!! why can't anyone teach their kids proper behavior anymore? just as i questioned why stacey can't get her kids to stop chewing up their straws, why not try and teach your kids to keep their mouths AWAY from the water fountain spout? or lift them up so they are only touching their lips to the water? and i'm sorry...if you have to give your kid what s/he wants IMMEDIATELY when they demand it, you have bigger problems than leaky water bottles!

Posted by: keep your kids in a bubble, why don't you? | July 23, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Aren't you all afraid of your children and yourselves looking like old smokers? I only use a regular cup or a regular water bottle now.

Posted by: Donna | July 23, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't let my kid near a public water fountain."

During the Civil Rights Movement, Americans protested and marched and were arrested fighting for the right to use public drinking fountains.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't let my kid near a public water fountain."

yeah, and you probably won't let your kid go to the public pool, or use a public bathroom, or use a public phone, or do anything else that might expose him to the unknown and scary diseases that the rest of the "real world" carries!

Posted by: keep your kid in a bubble, why don't you? | July 23, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't let my kid near a public water fountain."

Then the kid can wait. Does your kid wait to use the bathroom?

Posted by: Sheesh | July 23, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Dearest Diary,

I lay pen to paper in the fervent hope that you will know my deepest appreciation for living in flyover country.

Now and forever,

Posted by: To the big city cuckoo birds | July 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Will the unpleasant hyper shrieking exclamation crowd please take an early lunch?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I've moved away from all these things. I only serve water outside the kitchen (or other cleanable location) and when we're out I take a rubbermaid bottle filled with cold water and ice and a cup for the toddler. If she spills a little water in the car or elsewhere, it's not a really big deal.

Posted by: MaryB | July 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: keep your kids in a bubble, why don't you? | July 23, 2008 10:47 AM

Being childless must really suck for you.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Exposure to some of the stuff on the water fountain, while yucky, would probably be a good thing for these kids raise in Purell filled bubbles. Get the immune system going. I'm pretty sure no one ever got anything fatal from a water fountain.

Posted by: Moxiemom | July 23, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

To To the big city cuckoo birds,

Since you think your comment is so brilliant that you have the time and desire to post it on multiple blogs, many, many urbanites are delighted you live elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Being childless must really suck for you."

making assumptions, are we? i have a kid, and she's used public fountains, and she is perfectly healthy despite that (gasp!).

Posted by: keep your kids in a bubble, why don't you | July 23, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who worry about water fountains:
By MICHELE SAGER , The Tampa Tribune
Tampa Bay Online

TAMPA - Those ice-cold drinks from favorite fast food restaurants may not seem as refreshing after a seventh-grader's science project reveals what may lurk inside the cup.

Benito Middle School student Jasmine Roberts examined the amount of bacteria in ice served at fast food restaurants.

Her project won the science fair at the New Tampa school, and she hopes to win a top prize at the Hillsborough County Regional Science and Engineering Fair, which starts Tuesday.

The 12-year-old compared the ice used in the drinks with the water from toilet bowls in the same restaurants. Jasmine said she found the results startling.

"I thought there might be a little bacteria in the ice, but I never expected it to be this much," she said. "And I never thought the toilet water would be cleaner."

Her discovery: Seventy percent of the time, the ice had more bacteria than the toilet water.

Geoff Luebkemann, director of the division for hotels and restaurants at the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said people shouldn't swear off fast food ice just yet. His state agency regulates Florida businesses, including coordinating health inspections.

"Ice machines are part of the health inspections," Luebkemann said. "There are a lot of factors that have to be considered, like how accurately did she gather and test her specimens. Plus, comparing the ice to toilet water can be misleading because there are acceptable levels of bacteria for water."

Jasmine said she has always been interested in water quality and its link to health issues. Last year, she compared hotel ice to toilet water. She decided to branch out to restaurants this year.

She is a previous county winner, and her brother won a top prize last year for his project.

For this project, Jasmine visited five fast food restaurants near the University of South Florida. She collected ice samples from self-service dispensers inside the restaurants, as well as ice from drinks served through drive-through windows. She also collected samples of toilet water from those restaurants.

She placed the samples into sterile containers and tested them at a lab at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, where she volunteers with a USF professor.

Jasmine found that in four of the five restaurants, the ice that came from the self-serve machines had more bacteria than the toilet water. Three of the five cups of ice from the drive-through windows had more bacteria than the toilet water.

Posted by: Fast food avoider | July 23, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Britney Spears seems almost "normal" compared to some of the MMs.

Posted by: Psst | July 23, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

OP-land, where being wrong can be offered up with a straight face as proof of superiority.

Posted by: war is peace, good is bad | July 23, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

o"Of the bacteria found in the ice, three out of the five restaurants tested positive for fecal coliform or E. coli, organisms that come from the feces of warm-blooded animals."

Thse warm-blooded animals woud be rodents & staff.

Posted by: Yuck! | July 23, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"And I never thought the toilet water would be cleaner."

Now you know why I'd rather drink from the toilet than from my dish.

Posted by: The Dog | July 23, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"i have a kid, and she's used public fountains, and she is perfectly healthy despite that (gasp!)."

Sure you do. I have some swampland in which you might be interested.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: war is peace, good is bad | July 23, 2008 11:14 AM

What's your problem, Bub? How does acknowledgement of an error come off as superiority. You see only what you want, not what is real.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Jeremiah McNichols at Z recommends had his 2 1/2 year old test some metal cups last May."

Classic OP.

Who in God's name is Jeremiah McNichols at Z ? And why should I give a rat's a$s what he recommends?

Posted by: Only in America | July 23, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Parenting blog. If you had a kid, you might care, but not necessarily.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm baffled by all the parents who say just let the kid drink from the water fountain during school. I can't imagine having to go through a whole day with nothing more to drink than a few brief sips from a water fountain, especially if I were out running around in the heat. I'm 30 and have a 27 oz. stainless steel water bottle at my desk that I refill at least 3 times during the day.

Also, for all of you that suggest refilling disposable plastic water bottles, please be aware of how much bacteria grow in those bottles. They are not meant for multiple use!

And for those that discount the dangers of BPA, you should read the NIH's recent report on BPA.

Posted by: DC | July 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I like to use reusable water bottles, along the lines of what cyclists use. I fill them up with a juice/water mixture for the kids (just water for me) and freeze them the night before we go to the pool or another all-day-outdoor activity. Then I put them in the dishwasher and re-use again after they are dry. I'm not sure ours are BPA-free, though.

Are there BPA-free, freezable, dish-washable water bottles?

Posted by: nvamom | July 23, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Sure you do. I have some swampland in which you might be interested"

are you questioning whether i am lying about having a kid just to put you down on this blog? i know there are weirdos out there that would do that, but not me.

Posted by: keep your kid in a bubble, why don't you? | July 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Is blocked on my PC, but thanks for the info.

Posted by: Bless you | July 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

DC, have you been tested for diabetes? If you're drinking 81 ounces of water while at work, and goodness knows how much other liquid the rest of the day, it could be a warning sign.

Posted by: seriously | July 23, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"I can't imagine having to go through a whole day with nothing more to drink than a few brief sips from a water fountain, especially if I were out running around in the heat."

Seriously? Because that was pretty much my childhood. I take it yours was different?

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, gone are the days when this was a boring blog! I've never experienced a child unable to use a "big kid" cup and when I was a kid, I don't ever remember my parents allowing me to become so dehydrated that I had to have a drink while they were at the DMV, bank, etc. I just waited. Of course, if I acted out, I probably got slapped or spanked, so I tended not to act out. However, I realize that today spanking your kid is akin to molesting them and should never be allowed. Sigh, no wonder these children are so spoiled and entitled.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 12:06 PM

I completely agree. According to this blog, the following things are criminal:
1. taking pictures of your children at the pool
2. giving them a barbie or gi joe
3. letting them drink from a water fountain
4. spanking children when they are bad.

Posted by: td | July 23, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, FloridaChick deserves a good smack right now.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

DC - I had already read the NIH Draft Brief on BPA. I recommend others at least look at it so they know what the heck they're talking about.

Major points:
- "Some concern" for exposure in fetuses, infants and children. The studies provide limited evidence, but the possibility that BPA might alter human development can't be dismissed
- "negligible concern" that exposure of pregnant women to bisphenol A will result in fetal or neonatal mortality, birth defects, or reduced birth weight and growth in their offspring.
- "negligible concern" that exposure to bisphenol A causes reproductive effects in non-occupationally exposed adults and minimal concern for workers exposed to higher levels in occupational settings

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 23, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Re BPA, why even take the chance? THe benefits don't outweigh the risk.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

nvamom: "Are there BPA-free, freezable, dish-washable water bottles?"

If it's plastic, look at the recycling symbol. The only ones that MIGHT have BPA are 3 and 7. 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 aren't polycarbonate and don't have BPA.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 23, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

GEORGE: I think I can sum up the show for you with one word: NOTHING.

RUSSELL: Nothing?

GEORGE: (Smiling) Nothing.

RUSSELL: (Unimpressed) What does that mean?

GEORGE: The show is about nothing.

JERRY: (To George) Well, it's not about nothing.

GEORGE: (To Jerry) No, it's about nothing.

JERRY: Well, maybe in philosophy. But, even nothing is something.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Lordy, lordy.

Posted by: White people are stupid | July 23, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

anon @ 12:20: "Re BPA, why even take the chance? THe benefits don't outweigh the risk."

Well, the benefits of an aluminum can lined with BPA-based resins vs. an unlined can include vastly diminished botulism and salmonella. So, you're saying that rampant salmonella and botulism is better than the CHANCE that BPA might impact your mammary gland/prostate?

Posted by: m2j5c2 | July 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Stand-up comics would love today's stuff.

Posted by: Ha,ha | July 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

fr seriously:

>DC,have you been tested for diabetes? If you're drinking 81 ounces of water while at work, and goodness knows how much other liquid the rest of the day, it could be a warning sign

Not necessarily. It could just mean they remember to stay hydrated during the summer.

Posted by: Alex | July 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Dude. Sitting at a desk in an air conditioned office for 8 hrs does not require 81 oz of water for basic hydration. See the New York Times article above. 64 oz for 24 hrs is plenty, add in a few more cups if you exercise hard.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Excessive water consumption is unhealthful too.

Posted by: too much of a good thing | July 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Florida chick, I can always tell the children who don't receive spankings. They are the ones with the parents pleading with them to do something as the kid blithely ignores them or backtalks.

Posted by: spare the rod, i don't think so | July 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I think those who advocate for spanking might do better to advocate for firm, consistent, limits-based parenting. (Ie, if you say no, mean it, and don't give in).

Posted by: SJR | July 23, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SJR | July 23, 2008 1:14 PM

you sound like one of those spineless parents who want to be "friends" with their kid instead of a parent.

Posted by: ummm, no. | July 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

SJR

"You might get a more receptive audience. Spankers and non-spankers can meet in the middle on this one, don't you think?"

Not the Bible thumpers.

Posted by: Um | July 23, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Not the Bible thumpers.

Posted by: Um | July 23, 2008 1:21 PM

some people have an axe to grind and any subject leads them back to it.Sad and....Boring

Posted by: anything else? | July 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

OnParenting is too boring and shallow to be a viable option. I vote for Celebritology, because byoolin and Sasquatch are funnier and quicker wits than most of us. Plus, blog karma is when the "mean mommies" join you and you discover they are not all mean and not all mommies.

All the best to some of the best.

Posted by: MN | June 20, 2008 10:54 AM

Guess this means MN is now boring and shallow, or has just realized she's always been boring and shallow. (Insufferable, too.)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spare the rod, i don't think so | July 23, 2008 12:48 PM

So Sunday, we're out at lunch at a casual burrito place. A mom sits down with some food and a boy about 4, while dad is waiting for other stuff. Boy accidentally knocks over the tacos, spills them on the floor. Mom calls dad, tells him junior spilled his food. Dad storms over, with the ugliest look I have ever seen -- pure rage, no other way to describe it. He yanks the boy in the air and out of the booth by one arm, hauls him out into the parking lot, and starts wailing on him, while mom gathers the food and they all leave.

That's not how I choose to discipline my kids.

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Laura

"Mom calls dad, tells him junior spilled his food. Dad storms over, with the ugliest look I have ever seen -- pure rage, no other way to describe it. He yanks the boy in the air and out of the booth by one arm, hauls him out into the parking lot, and starts wailing on him, while mom gathers the food and they all leave.

That's not how I choose to discipline my kids. "

Nooo. That's how you get attention on the Net.

Posted by: Right | July 23, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

MN doesn't seem to be endowed with that much self-awareness.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Drink containers for the kids have never been a problem in my house. That's because I buy Budweiser by the case.

Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Here, kid, this Bud's for you!

Posted by: Homer Simpson | July 23, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Laura

At least now the kid knows better than ever spill his food again.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, FloridaChick deserves a good smack right now."

I'll volunteer to give her a good spanking. But she'll have to beg for it.

Posted by: Homer Simpson | July 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

At least now the kid knows better than ever to spill his food again.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll volunteer to give her a good spanking. But she'll have to beg for it.

HEY, that is Liz D's bailiwick!

Posted by: Keep your posters straight! | July 23, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"That's not how I choose to discipline my kids.

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 1:31 PM "

Me eiither Laura. I spank them when it is appropriate and with the appropriate force. That is discipline, what you describe is assault. Pretty lame to equate the two. I also do not plan on being one of those " jimmy come on, jimmy no, jimmy stop, put it down jimmy, we talked about this, you are making bad choices, putdown the powersaw jimmy, Jimmy why are you looking at me that way, don't come near me with that saw jimmy, i mean it, you are going to timeout jimmy, JIIIMMMMMMYYY!!!!! as she runs for her life.

Posted by: no jimmy no | July 23, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

That's not how I choose to discipline my kids.

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 1:31 PM

WHY didn't you call CPS?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'll volunteer to give her a good spanking. But she'll have to beg for it.

HEY, that is Liz D's bailiwick!"

Can't post now, i am hogtied and spinning naked on a wheel in someone's basement. Be Back soon

Posted by: LizD | July 23, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"That is discipline, what you describe is assault. Pretty lame to equate the two. I also do not plan on being one of those " jimmy come on, jimmy no, jimmy stop, put it down jimmy, we talked about this, you are making bad choices, putdown the powersaw jimmy, Jimmy why are you looking at me that way, don't come near me with that saw jimmy, i mean it, you are going to timeout jimmy, JIIIMMMMMMYYY!!!!! as she runs for her life.

Posted by: no jimmy no | July 23, 2008 1:43 PM"

It's also pretty lame to equate choosing not to spank your kids with "now Jimmy, please don't cut Mommy with the power saw." There are many, many parents who manage their kids just fine without spanking.

In theory, I don't have a problem with spanking, if you can do it in a calm, measured manner and as a rare last resort. It's just that out of the two dozen or so spankings I've witnessed (or received!), I have yet to see one actually applied in that manner. It's always happened when the grownup loses his temper. And that I do have a problem with, because I don't see how I'm supposed to teach my kid self-control when I'm not exercising it myself.

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"That's not how I choose to discipline my kids.

Posted by: Laura | July 23, 2008 1:31 PM

WHY didn't you call CPS?"

No attention fix from the Net.

Posted by: GC | July 23, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

MN doesn't seem to be endowed with that much self-awareness.

Posted by: | July 23, 2008 1:37 PM

That I agree with. If she were self-aware, rather than consistently spewing self-proclaimed witticims at others (like how "empty" someone's life might be for daring to criticize her) she'd realize that posting numerous messages daily on numerous different blogs is, in and of itself, typically indicative of a complete lack of life. (And lack of job. MN - are you unemployed? If not, might I suggest to your employer that you should be?)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

There are many, many parents who manage their kids just fine without spanking.

And a great many more who don't..............

Posted by: Jimmy-prisoner 445522365 | July 23, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

this board needs a login because it's infested by trolls

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

There are many, many parents who manage their kids just fine without spanking.

And a great many more who don't..............

Posted by: Jimmy-prisoner 445522365 | July 23, 2008 2:13 PM

AND every parent is doing the BEST THEY CAN, so give them a break and MYOB!!!

Posted by: To Jimmy - one of over a million | July 23, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Gerald ... Butler.

Posted by: Troll this | July 23, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Gerald ... Butler.

Posted by: Troll this | July 23, 2008 2:22 PM

wrong blog IDIOT!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Tis blog reminds me of a group of old women knotting and then one day a bunch of hells angels come through the windows,the doors and the walls......

Posted by: here they come | July 23, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Liz D | July 23, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

reminds me of a group of old women knotting

Posted by: ah, macramé | July 23, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Laura is so dead on. Hitting your kids in anger is WRONG, and it seems bizarre to calmly smack your kid's butt. There are a thousand ways to punish a kid, and hitting is at the bottom of the list for me. I have lots of friends and family members with kids, and from what I've gathered, not one of them hits their kids. Yet, most have the mom/dad (it really seems to matter that the parents can BOTH do this) look DOWN, and most of the kids are under control. The out of control kids would be out of control even if the parents hit, since the problem isn't about hitting or not. It's about consistency and consequences. In any of the exaggerated scenarios the trolls give, there are never any consequences.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

knitting or knotting, let's call the whole thing off.....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

To Monterey: the pedant. Everyone already knows that story about Kennedy. And "an" is not a definite article.

Michael Dirda: Oh, now, let's make nicems, here, okay? I mean, what is definite really, in this crazy ever shifting world of ours?

Posted by: Guess we all know where MN went | July 23, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Liz D

"Pre-reading the other comments: It's a symptom of a culture that is always on the go and always snacking. I generally agree that you don't really need much special equipment. Spending 20 on a cup you plan to use everyday for more than six months seems like a great deal to me for the on the go park visits, but otherwise, keeping water at the dinner table in a generic plastic glass should be no issue."

Your comment has been tossed in the dustbin by the MMs:

Makes waay too much sense - MMs need lots of wiggle room for when they mess up. Big time.

Doesn't recognize the STRUGGLES & SACRIFICES parents go through - the Martyr Factor.

Makes economic sense - a big No-No. MMs hold the World's Title for pissing away money. Hands down.

Posted by: Bad news | July 23, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

As usual atb gets it wrong. I can always tell the spanked vs non spanked. The non spanked are generally out of control and have no conceptof parental authority and the parents are pleaders and excusers. atb fits this mold.

Posted by: oh great, atb is here | July 23, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Why are people cutting and pasting from other blogs and putting them here? It makes reading the comments more difficult and makes those doing it seem awfully starved for attention. Registration is a good idea as many have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

FloridaChick

"Why are people cutting and pasting from other blogs and putting them here"

The reverse is also happening...

"It makes reading the comments more difficult and makes those doing it seem awfully starved for attention"

Um.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I am actually against physical forms of punishment for any child except in extreme cases (yanking them off the street, grabbing hair if they go "dead" and need to be literally dragged out of store, etc).

I don't think lack of physical punishment immediately equates to entitlement- surely we can think beyond those basic concepts?

Posted by: Liz D | July 23, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty lame to research blog comments from a month ago in order to target an individual and then to decide that, because you want to discuss spanking, you'll post 6 - 10 comments in which you respond to your own comments, on that topic.

If you do not have anything on topic or nice to add, there's always the option of saying nothing. i recommend it. It can't be that exciting to see your words on the monitor.

Posted by: MaryL | July 23, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Liz D

"Ahem, I hope it's obvious that 1:47 PM is not actually me (and that people realize that pretending to post as another person without clearly stating that's what they are doing is extremely bad netiquette)."

Er, no it wasn't obvious. I was totally punk'd. Oops.

Posted by: MM | July 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

As usual, you can't read and your logical skills are lacking. You have no idea if those parents hit. You live in an imaginary world where you think you know everything. And we laugh at you. Stupid megalomaniacs are FUNNY.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hm, anonymous person, I didn't cut and paste my statement. I'm not sure I see your point.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: Water in schools, I know for us we only got small breaks after gym, and food and water was NOT ok in the classroom except for the special party days.

Re: Water in public, as someone who has only trained herself to drink water regularly in the past two years, I have learned that there really aren't water fountains in a lot of places I expected when I want to refill my bottle. When I went to LA for the weekend, not only was finding water fountains a real chore, but public restrooms were not very plentiful either.

Posted by: Liz D | July 23, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

this board needs a login because it's infested by trolls

Posted by: | July 23, 2008 2:18 PM

If this board had a worthwhile topic...

Posted by: touche' | July 23, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Marl

"If you do not have anything on topic or nice to add, there's always the option of saying nothing. i recommend it."

Niceness - another MM buzzword.

Posted by: XX | July 23, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Niceness - another MM buzzword.

Posted by: XX | July 23, 2008 3:46 PM

Mocking others' posts without contributing anything to the discussion - another troll buzzword.

Posted by: Like I'm signing my name today | July 23, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Let the troll starve for attention.

Posted by: what is your problem, whacko? | July 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

How and why did it become some sort of criminal act to allow a toddler or pre-school aged child to have access to water when he or she wants it? I'm sorry, I don't understand the "make them wait" attitude. We're not talking about having toddlers at an opera or something - we're talking about at the mall, the park, the grocery store, etc. All of which are places where adults routinely expect to be able to get a drink when they want one (and carry a bottle of water or a drink around with them if they want to).

Even if you want to adhere to that philosophy personally, and feel like it's your duty to chastise others for not following it, we still have situations like schools and camps where we need good spill-proof cups.

Posted by: Also Looking | July 23, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"I have this vision of one lone whackjob, like the one that used to post as bababooey, typing up all these conversations with himself, cutting and pasting between here and Celebritology as a way to be helpful, useful, disruptive or because he didn't take his meds today."

Helpful - another MM buzzword.

Posted by: Morph this | July 23, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Also Looking- Rest assured that you're sane and logical. There's no place for that here, though.

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

See the comment at 12:22 and think why that was posted!

Posted by: to all who read/post here today! | July 23, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

This topic makes me laugh and wonder all at the same time. I just got over the search for BPA bottles and bags to pump milk into for my infant. My two year old seems to have survived the Avent bottles -- the BPA stories came out after he was already drinking from a cup. Since the water he's drinking is cold and we're not putting the cups through the dishwasher or microwave or letting them heat in the sun, I'm okay with plastic cups of any kind. We certainly worry ourselves into a frenzy these days. I think its why parenting seems a lot harder than it was for our parents.

Posted by: Liz2 | July 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

See the comment at 12:22 and think why that was posted!

Posted by: to all who read/post here today! | July 23, 2008 4:00 PM

See this! Get a grip on the size of your ego. It is only exceeded by the depth of your ignorance.

Posted by: huh? | July 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

BPA - you all are so worried about BPAs in water bottles - do you ever store or reheat food in plastic containers, especially the disposable ones?

Posted by: BPA addict | July 23, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

She shoots.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 3:32 PM

She hits.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 3:32 PM

She scores.

Posted by: FloridaChick | July 23, 2008 3:32 PM

Posted by: STACEY READ ME | July 23, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Leslie tried registration. The comments dropped from 300-400/day to 40/50 day.

Hmm, on this blog, the new level would probably be ZERO! (or just ATB & AB, you know, nada!)

Posted by: WWLD? | July 23, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything constructive you would like to add or are you interested in copying and pasting what someone else wrote?

Posted by: To 4:14 | July 23, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I don't have ego and self esteem problems. And Yes, I am trying to ignore the utter lack of significant comments on today's topic.

Posted by: to all who read/post here today! | July 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"The jury is still out on whether BPA exposure poses a health risk to humans, even though the question was the subject of two expert panel reviews in the U.S. last year.

It has long been known that BPA can cause genetic damage in lab animals, but it is not clear if the levels of leached BPA from polycarbonate bottles and other products are high enough to pose a threat to humans.

There is little direct evidence that BPA poses a risk to humans, but many experts believe that it does.

"The consensus of the scientific community is that there is a clear reason to proceed cautiously," he says.

Posted by: the facts | July 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I spoke to a friend at the Post about this and she told me that one of the interns told her he was sure that some of his friends were posting crazy messages on the chatboards so that he'd have to go in and delete them. It would make sense that these posts are from college kids bored in their internships, they are not from adults.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

You all are just a bunch of mom-jeans wearing haters!

Posted by: atb | July 23, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

You have "friends"?

Posted by: to 4:24 | July 23, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

whats wrong with "mom jeans"?

Posted by: ? | July 23, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I dislike the concept of registration, but I also wonder why so many snark for no reason other than snarking, mock, insult, and so on. There are plenty of blogs that are made for such things.

Every internet forum has some measure of "fluff" to them and it's understandable and when used appropriately can add to the general sense of community.

But it really is getting to be overkill and useless. I know the mockers are laughing themselves silly over how witty they are and how crazy we are to be getting "so upset" over an online forum and there's no helping that. I'm not against registration as a possible solution to keeping things generally productive and high quality here.

Posted by: Liz D | July 23, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You mean "quality comments" from the same 5 insufferable individuals who actually bothered to register. Leslie herself came to hate the registration requirement and in my opinion hasted the death of OB.

Posted by: to Liz D | July 23, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"I will point out that before OB closed, this blog regularly got only 50 comments a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it was almost all quality discussion on point."

I don't see the crass pointless attack comments as related to OB closing. It's one, maybe two people, at most, relentlessly pinging this blog and Celebritology with pointless copy and paste comments and cross-comments, impersonating long-time posters, and also hurling insults at long-time posters. It is not difficult to monitor, delete, and deny them the attention they crave. Maybe when school starts they will go away on their own, but who wants to read this crap between now and then?

Posted by: Aaron | July 23, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, I can't decide which is more goofy, a whole blog dedicated to choosing a water bottle or the number of people getting in a snit because many parents want to provide water to their kids when they are out and about. Really, does it bother you that much that I bring a water bottle to the park with us? Whew.

I thought that BPA was only in lexan, the hard transparent plastics like those used in the Nalgene ones that come in different colors, and that flexible, translucent plastics didn't have it. That leaves an awful lot of inexpensive, utilitarian, BPA-free options out there, like the sport bottles. It just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to find a water bottle that works.

Posted by: babycrocs | July 23, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aaron | July 23, 2008 5:17 P

Um, no, Aaron. Actually, the "crass pointless attacks" are likely posted by many of us, because I am not related to the other "trolls"; I just find intolerable the gazillion posts per day by the same "one, maybe two people, at most," generally consisting of Windbag MN, who thinks herself mightier than thou, but is truly an imbecile; "dang" Laura (who must pat herself on the back for the truly ridiculous amount of "dangs" used in her blog entries); and the spinach-eating cheap, but not poor (apparently?) Emily. ATB, I can take or leave, which also separates me from other "trolls." Get used to it, Aaron -- the reality is that many of us sometimes-readers can't stand the morons who post on here 20-30 times a week for lack of anything better to do. We're as entitled to speak up as you. N'est ce pas? (That was for that Blowhard Windbag MN.)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

For all you folks asking for registration, it is coming. I don't have an exact date for you yet, but will let you know as soon as we're getting close. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 23, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It will be the kiss of death for OP as it was for OB.

Posted by: Registration | July 24, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

"I just find intolerable the gazillion posts per day by the same "one, maybe two people, at most,"

Get off your high horse. If you don't think your incessant, off-topic, gratuitous attacks on one or two posters are intolerable for the rest of the decent readers, you have not looked in the mirror lately. People visit these blogs for a light read, not your petty baggage.

Posted by: Sigh | July 24, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse