Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

The Skinned-Knee Conundrum

By Rebeldad Brian Reid

I just returned from vacation, which seems to be an excellent opportunity for the kids to collect all manner of minor injuries. Maybe it was being out of the house and in a weird setting, maybe it was the total boycott on footwear, but we endured a great many scrapes, bumps, bruises and minor sunburns, raising the eternal question of when -- exactly -- parental first aid is needed and when the proper response is "suck it up."

Around here, the rule is that we break out the Band-Aids only when there's blood and the ice packs only when there's an actual, physical bump. This seems to be the growing consensus, in part because "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" has so eloquently outlined the lessons to be learned from a little pain now and again. Heck, even the idea of the hard-edged, slightly distant father might be coming back into vogue.

But I constantly ask myself why I need to be so gruff -- is there really that much harm using a Nemo-printed bandage to trigger the placebo effect?

I grew up in the walk-it-off era, where it took an awful lot to get medical attention. My father practiced what he preached -- I'm pretty sure I can count the number of sick days I saw him take on one hand. I made it through high school without missing a single day due to illness. That wasn't because I never got sick. I just tried not to admit it to anyone.

Those are habits that have followed me to adulthood, where I have the typical male aversion to doctors. I've argued against stitches when I've had gaping head wounds and waited months in hopes that knee pain would just vanish. It's only been in the last couple of years where I've actually begun seeing physicians when I'm in pain or need an all-over mole check (the perils of red-headedness).

So while I have no desire to raise a hypochondriac, I'm also wary of the unintended consequences of the school of hard knocks. I'm probably erring on that side, but I still worry.
How about you all? When you're dealing with sticks and stones and (not quite) broken bones, where is the line between being supportive and showing a little tough love?

By Brian Reid |  July 10, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Health
Previous: Skin Protection 101 | Next: The Obama Children

Comments

Those are habits that have followed me to adulthood, where I have the typical male aversion to doctors. "

"typical male"!!!!

"It's only been in the last couple of years where I've actually begun seeing physicians when I'm in pain or need an all-over mole check (the perils of red-headedness)."

"perils of red-headedness"!!!!

Today's topic should be retitled "The Stereotype Conundrum".

Posted by: Wow! | July 10, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Every scrape gets looked at by me if the kids mention it. Sometimes it is incredibly tiny and it simply gets a kiss better. In those cases, I think the kids just want a bit of loving attention more than anything else. Scratches that draw blood get a bit of Neosporin on them and if larger than just a bit of skin taken off... typically get a regular type of bandage. We haven't had any scrapes or scratches that even looked remotely close to needing medical attention.

The only other type of problem we have had to deal with has been infected teeth. Since an infection in your mouth can lead to serious consequences we dealt with that pretty promptly.

Posted by: Billie | July 10, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Granny takes care of such fer our little clan. Nuthin' better than Granny puttin' on her home made all purpose Healing Salve and Gear Grease.

Posted by: Jed Clampett | July 10, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I must admit that I got tired of wasting band aids (those princess ones aren't cheap!) and my kids are only allowed to get them if there is blood. I think kids need to learn to get over themselves a little and that there are better ways to get attention than overinflating the results of a n injury. That said, I am not heartless and don 't make my kids suffer needlessly. We have been to the hospital for stitches and x-rays, and I am definitely on a first-name basis with the entire staff of the pediatrician's office. I guess that is inevitable with 5 kids.

Posted by: Momof5 | July 10, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Each kid is different. Some will need the boo boo bunny when they bump into a wall and others will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the ER even if a bone is sticking out of their leg. Know your kid and react accordingly.

Posted by: One size doesn't fit all | July 10, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I have to respectfully disagree with Momof5. I don't think that taking a moment to look at an injury and kiss it better (or do whatever is necessary) is doing any damage and the kids don't need to get over themselves.

Last night, our cat decided that she was getting too much attention from the very persistent children and she warned them off. The result was a very small scratch that didn't even break the skin. He said to me, "She scratched me." I looked at it, kissed it better and asked him if it was better. He said yes and off he went. We spent about a minute on the incident.

But that 60 seconds told my step-son that I cared enough to listen to him, inspect the damage (such as it was) and then make the effort to make him feel better. Who doesn't want (even as an adult) to know that the people who love you care about what happens to you and want to make you feel better.

Posted by: Billie_R | July 10, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

My kids get a band aid if there's blood. And I agree with "Momof5" Hello Kitty bandaids are not cheap!
You need to be careful now because of things like MRAS or whatever it's called. You can get a bad staph infection from what looks like a minor scrape or cut. If it is left uncovered, germs can get to it and enter your bloodstream.

Posted by: LBH219 | July 10, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Emergency Room visits: broken wrist (son, snowboarding), thumbnail ripped off requiring five stitches to put it back on (daughter, smashed hand in door)

Doctor visits: fever over 101 that isn't coming down; pain that won't go away; unexplained swelling; and check-ups.

Bandages and if appropriate bacitracin/neosporin: blood

Wraps: sprained/twisted ankles; sprained wrists

Parental attention: pretty much whenever they want/need it.

Posted by: ArmyBrat | July 10, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I love those boo-boo bunnies! My son and daughter each have their own. They each have their own box of bandaids that they pick out and a tube of antibacterial ointment that is stored separately for each one. That way there is no chance for a cross contamination. They each also have their own ear wax removal kit.
I also have a first aid kit that I made up with ace wraps, pediatric tylenol, eye washing solution and tweezers for the inevitable sliver.
We have our pediatrician on speed dial as well as the number for the closest ER and poison control. You just can't count on someone remembering anything in case of an emergency.

Posted by: Donna | July 10, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Donna and LBH219 are quite correct. Any break in the skin or blood (ick! I even hate typing that word!) are immediately treated with antibiotic and covered with a cute little band aid. My little precious has different band aids for each day of the week.

Although I try not to put little precious in any situation where a scrap or bump could occur.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 10, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm in the "Coddle the Toddler" camp. Breaking out the Goofy and Mickey band aids or the boo-boo bunny for a child, rocking them in my arms, stroking their hair and pampering them with the "Awe, poor baby, I'm so sorry" is one of the reasons I wanted to be a parent in the first place. I've always enjoyed comforting my kids when they sought me for security, especially when they were in pain. Yes, sometimes they only wanted my attention, which was fine, because kids will resort to injuring themselves if they don't get enough attention from their parents, and when it gets to that point, oh boy, major problems.

Posted by: Wacky Weasel | July 10, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Learnig basic first aid is a good thing.

RICE can be learned at the youngest age, and who cares if the skin isnt broken - it is a teaching moment.

Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

When the issue of wasting band-aids gets real, at an older age, we are magically out of neosporin and all that is available to clean the wound is Hydrogen Peroxide.

The booboo bear icepack and/or cold water do the trick is most bupms and bruises.

for Jellyfish, keep some meat tenderizer around.

for Poison Ivy: Calamine and an antihistimne: be sure you wash clothes well: cold water washes the oil off if you know what skin got touched by the leaves: hotter water will spread the oil.

Posted by: Fo3 | July 10, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Frozen bags of corn or peas are also awesome ice packs, esp when the kids outgrow booboo bear.

Posted by: Fo3 | July 10, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I want my kids to always feel loved and protected and taken care of, but I also want them to learn that the world doesn't stop for a teensy little scrape. General rules: bandaids only if there's blood; ice for a discernible bump; kisses whenever they want, followed by "now go play." But it varies by kid somewhat, too. My made-of-rubber 2-yr-old is at that age where a mommy kiss makes everything better -- so when a kiss doesn't work, you know it's time to get out the ice. On the other hand, the 7-yr-old drama-queen-in-training really doesn't need much encouragement to turn an infinitesimal scratch into a would-be ER visit, so she gets a little more of the "suck it up" approach.

Posted by: Laura | July 10, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So much coddling - no wonder we are raising a generation of whiners and quitters. Pick yourself, dust yourself off and get back on the horse.

Posted by: No more whining | July 10, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

If one of my children gets hurt I try to find a special treat for them that day. Maybe an extra granola bar or a second bed-time story.

Posted by: Donna | July 10, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

As a kid I ran around bare foot almost all summer. If I got a scratch I just waited for the blood to stop flowing then went back to whatever I was doing. Never used band-aids, never ever used neosporin. Never had any infections whatsoever. I've cut myself several times with my cub scout pocket knife and wear the scars with pride.

My play grounds were made with wood, metal, and concrete. If you fell down you fell on rocks. Tonka Trucks were made of stamped steel. Kids today are wimps and its all the fault of mollycoddling parents.

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree that parents overdo it nowadays with injuries. I have two children under 5 - our basics are if it bleeds, wash it off. If it really bleeds, then we treat it with some medication and a band aid. We have had the nasty bumps on the head and frozen peas work wonders. My daughter laughs about the peas on her head. Other than that, we "shake the boo-boo away" or just kiss and go. My 2 year old kisses her own boo-boos now and says "See - I'm a big girl now". No hospital visits yet, but the year isn't over yet!

Posted by: DW | July 10, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

We use the magic frozen peas and as a bonus he usually eats a bowl of them afterwards.

I haven't read the book yet, but I sort of thought the point was that kids should be out getting injured, not that you can't sympathize with them when they do.

I totally get behind the idea that kids should be allowed to explore. But I see no problem with giving them a bit of attention if they want it (in a matter-of-fact way) provided they get equal or more attention for whatever it was they were really accomplishing.

There's a huge difference between over-protection so that no injury occurs, and handing out a Nemo bandage even if it's not a "band-aid worthy" injury. (I'm having Seinfeld flashbacks here.)

Posted by: Shandra | July 10, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

my kid wears his scrapes as a badge of honor and attention getter. I try to ignore that and teach him that he can recover from bumps and bruises. Nothing worse than a hypochondriac

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

My toddler is WAY too busy to worry about booboos. She scrapes the crap out of her knees tripping on sidewalks, but it doesn't bother her. Washing it on the other hand... Ouch. She does love to booboo spot though. Any imperfection is a booboo. We agree or disagree accordingly. She's too young to be dramatic about it and gets over it almost immediately. As she gets older, we probably won't change our approach much. We assess, treat accordingly, give her a pat, and send her on her merry way.

I was not at all coddled. As a child, I had 2 trips to the ER for stitches and 1 for a broken wrist. I begged for about a week to go in for the wrist. I think my mom was resistant to going to the ER, and who could blame her, but why she didn't make an appointment with the pediatrician I'll never understand. It hurt, but after a couple days, it's not exactly an emergency. It just needed medical attention.

Posted by: atb | July 10, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

In retrospect I think there is a lot to be said for verbalizing to your kids why/when you are dispensing meds.

I have almost grown sons who are total idiots about when to take an aspirin. I get cell phone calls about how bad they're feeling.

Where did I go wrong? Take an aspirin or tylenol for heaven sakes!

I handed one 18 y/o a blister pack of sudafed when he had a stuffy/runny nose -- and he took them all!

I don't know where I went wrong. I suspect it is carryover from the schools where no medications are tolerated without all kinds of documentation. Kids got used to having these things given out to them and didn't ever get it about simple things like reading the instructions on the box.

Maybe girls, who get to deal with cramps, do a better job?

Posted by: RoseG | July 10, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Donna, I am pretty sure that a kid would catch on to that special treat for an injury thing easily. And, may in return become quite (faux) clumsy."

I agree. And it's not good idea to use food as a "comfort".

Posted by: Too many fat peple | July 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't know where I went wrong. I suspect it is carryover from the schools where no medications are tolerated without all kinds of documentation"

Unless it's birth control then they want to hand it out like a pez dispenser without any parental documentation

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Well my dad almost lost a foot as a child due to the "shake it off" philosophy. He had stepped on a nail and got a nasty anaerobic infection and severed a tendon in his foot. My grandmother didn't take him seriously until the next day.

That said, my 2-year old daughter's need for attention for her many scrapes and bumps depends entirely on her mood. If she's happy and playing she can shake off just about anything. We are fortunate that she has been so healthy and hope this continues for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Posted by: MaryB | July 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Brian, I have a whole bunch to add.

1) kids get scrapes, etc, ours, as said above, get bandaids if there is some bleeding. They have access to an ice pack from the freezer, if need be. I always look and always give them a kiss. It helps them feel better.

2) I was being cautious when my daredevil had a bleeding lip, and took him to the doctor (rather than emergency room) - they sent me to the emergency room for 6 stitches (oh, and since then, we've removed a tooth...cautious me!). I relayed that to my dad - who was like: oh, everyone gets scrapes, etc (belittling everything others go through is much of what I got growing up) - and I relayed to him the story of how when i had sprained my ankle in elementary school, it took mom about a week of me complaining before I was taken to the doctor - not fun - yes, I had a cast up to the knee for I don't know how long, at least a month. This led to me not going to the doctor for two days after I broke my toe when I was in college (yes, with a cast up over to the knee for over a month).

3) BRIAN GET THEE TO A DOCTOR IF YOU NEED ONE. My mom was apparently complaining to my step dad for a YEAR about pain she had. He tried to encourage her to get to a doctor, and took her when she couldn't move - so she couldn't complain about it. Had she gone earlier, her cancer would not have spread so much - and she would have been a survivor. Instead, she is no longer with us. She is one of the few with the type of cancer she had with actual symptoms - yet she ignored them cause she didn't like doctors. Brian - YOU OWE IT to your loved ones to get things checked out - not have some misguided 'guy thing' regarding masculinity and doctors. It's highly absurd. Would you rather your loved ones sit at your funeral and discuss how macho you are????

Posted by: atlmom | July 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The celeb freaks are over on their boring blog plotting against you all.

Don't rise to their bait.

Posted by: FYI | July 10, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

If I catch one of my kids crying without a good reason, I'll give them one to cry about. I can't stand whiners!

Posted by: Child Abuser | July 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

i grew up in the days of "shake it off" and agree w/it wholeheartedly. most injuries are minor and only a doof would ignore something more significant. time then for the call to child protective services. the "shake it off" philosophy helped me gain access to law school, graduate and eventually have my own law firm in a day when women didn't do that. it's commonplace today. nothing is more annoying than a cloying parent. children handle these things much better than the helicopter parent.

Posted by: kay | July 10, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Brian - YOU OWE IT to your loved ones to get things checked out - not have some misguided 'guy thing' regarding masculinity and doctors. It's highly absurd. Would you rather your loved ones sit at your funeral and discuss how macho you are????"

Darwinism takes its course....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"Brian - YOU OWE IT to your loved ones to get things checked out "

******************************************

Brian you don't owe them anything, given the cost of raising kids today I would say that they owe you.

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: atlmom | July 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Particularly apropos for me today as I got 2nd degree burns last night from a splash of hot oil last night, and spent the night and the morning trying treat it and figure out what to do. How many people actually take the time to go out and take first aid classes? I've decided I'm going to go out and take them now so at least I can identify what needs a kiss, a bandage, a doctor's visit or an ER visit. It's so frustrating not to know what to do. Also, Brian, my husband is a lot like you (you cut off your leg? throw it in the cooler, it'll be fine) and frankly I could have used him being a little more sympathetic last night. He was great, he got me all the water and ice and made dinner and cleaned up the kitchen and all that but sometimes you just want a hug too. So I can understand kids wanting that too.

Posted by: tsp 2007 | July 10, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

atlmom

"to 11:37: He already has kids - so darwinism taking it's course doesn't really have any meaning."

The kids have his "stupid" gene. The mother isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.

Posted by: You can't teach common sense | July 10, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who tend to dole out the Band-Aids on request and can't stand the cost of the character Band-Aids: Try using regular cheaper Band-Aids and let your little one put a small sticker on it.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Darwinism takes its course...."

Please explain what you mean by "Darwinism." I don't think the word means what you seem to think it means. I suspect you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You're spewing pithy sayings and trying to pith the rest of us off, but it's more pity than pithy.

Posted by: m2j5c2 | July 10, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Would you say you have a plethora of pithy?

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Nice catch, atlmom.

Posted by: atb | July 10, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: atlmom | July 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

y do all u haterz hate ur kidz

Posted by: luvkidz | July 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, okay, Brian, you only owe it to your loved ones to take care of yourself if you actually care about them and want to stay healthy for them. Otherwise, don't worry, don't get yourself checked out, etc."

And don't make B.S excuses about the self-destructive choices you make, nobody's holding a gun to your head!

Posted by: Boo hoo | July 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

nasty, nasty. Chill and ignore these squids Brian.

Posted by: Fo3 | July 10, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

your child won't get MRSA from a scratch on the sidewalk, he'll get it from a cut at daycare.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

This board is pitiful. It is one of the most contentious and least supportive forums for sharing opinions I know of, and since the focus is supposed to be families and children I'm amazed people are coming here to trade insults. Come on, people. Go join a board that is designed to encourage snarky, hide-behind-anonymity vitriol. It's obvious some posters get on here just dying to find fault and let the insults fly. Yeah, it's a free country, but it's sad you're coming here to let loose. For God's sake, it's about KIDS and how best to raise them! Go find some board about dogfighting or sports or human sacrifice or something to find people to attack. But to be so nasty to people talking about band-aids and the importance of regular medical check-ups? That's just sad.

Posted by: ljb | July 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 10, 2008 1:05 PM

Maybe at your daycare!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

My DD went OTB on her bike and scraped her elbows up. My response to her wanting me to carry her bike home was "you don't pedal with your elbows!". Heh. She survived just fine and was happily showing her boo-boos off the next day at school.

Posted by: shake it off here 2 | July 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Y'all listen to ljb. What she wrote is correct. We are trying to have a nice little blog here and all that happens is that mean mommies mock me.

Posted by: Cecilia | July 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"The human immune system can pretty much take care of any problem presented to it. The reason you have things like MSRA is because of overly worrisome parents who treat any and all dirt like the plague."

I agree. Those pesky vaccines against stuff like tetanus (which is found in dirt, by the way) and polio are and have always been completely unnecessary. Those diseases never hurt anyone, kids just fake paralysis and lockjaw to get attention, everyone knows that. Anyone who gets or dies from MRSA is a total wuss. And let's not even get started on asthma --- sheesh, talk about a "disease" for the overcoddled!!!

Posted by: Don't trip over your sanctimonious bootstraps | July 10, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

A couple of people have mentioned MRSA infections. It is scary to think about them but, to be honest, I am more concerned about salmonella. I try to feed my children as much fresh food as possible but now I wonder if it isn't better to give them canned peaches instead of fresh.
I do everything I am supposed to do in the kitchen as far as making sure meat (especially chicken) never touches anything that isn't going to be cooked. I have a separate cutting board for meat and another for fruit and vegetables. The same for knives. I use a disinfectant wipe for all the counters, stove handles, and refrigerator.
My children are very good about washing their hands before eating (or touching anything in the kitchen for that matter).
But I still wonder if I am doing enough.

Posted by: Donna | July 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, pleae, mr. 1:25. The whole idea of anti bacterial washes is ludicrous. THERE ARE GOOD TYPES OF BACTERIA. So to kill ALL bacteria is a really really bad idea. Not to mention if you have a septic tank, it really screws it up.

Same goes for antibiotics - people want them for every little tiny thing - which ends up being really bad for everyone as more and more stuff is resistant.

Posted by: atlmom | July 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

If you are concerned about salmonella, just expose the kids to a little at a time like one does with iocane powder.

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It's me again. I have a question to ask everyone. Does anyone allow their children to lick beaters anymore? I worry about the raw eggs in the uncooked mix that I don't let my children have the beaters. I have such wonderful memories of licking beaters and bowls as a child and feel like such a meanie when I tell them "no" and put the utensils and bowl in the sink.

Posted by: Donna | July 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm I said nothing about anti-bacterial washes. Plus, if you knew the slightest bit about microbiology, you would know that they don't even work. They remove transient bacteria as well as "normal" soap and generally leave the resident flora untouched (these are disturbed only by the mechanical action of scrubbing). What you call "good bacteria" is actually "resident flora" ... lol

It is a common misconception that things like antimicrobial agents like bleach, lysol, etc cause resistance. They do not, as they work in general ways (i.e. bleach oxidizes everything in sight, silver nitrate works against all proteins,etc). They are nonspecific.

Resistance only occurs when you act in a specific way -- e.g. penicillin which interrupts a particular link in the bacterial cell wall. The bacteria can become resistant to this. So you are correct about antibiotics at least.

Posted by: To atlmom from 1:25 | July 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Donna let your kids lick the beaters, it won't hurt them.

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

No I do not allow this. I read an estimate that anywhere from 20-80% of eggs have salmonella.

Posted by: To Donna | July 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe some of you actually analyze this kind of thing and develop policies for your family. Why not act like a human being and recognize your children as individual people? If your child is able to shake things off easily, great. If he needs some comfort, give it to he. If she enjoys an occasional opportunity to indulge in a few decorative band-aids, is that really going to destroy your budget? If someone is a whiner, give some reassurance and then help him or her to move on. And then find something more interesting and productive to write about on the internet ...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Donna, when you were a kid you licked the beaters, did you ever get sick? Yes eggs have salmonella, but like I said, if you provide a little exposure it helps to build up an immunity to the bacteria.

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Donna: I, too, have fond memories of licking the beaters and bowls when we made cookies and brownies. But I don't let my own kids do that. They understand that any time they touch raw egg, they need to wash their hands immediately. I just throw everything in water in the sink as soon as i'm done using them. So, the kids don't even think to ask.

A few months ago, I made homemade whipped cream and the kids had a blast with the beaters and bowl then.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | July 10, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:14 PM

You do realize that the more you try to shoo us away the longer we will stay. (See photo of all of us sitting down and making ourselves comfy). Thanks for the invite and challenge.

Posted by: Former OBer | July 10, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DM | July 10, 2008 1:37 PM
*************

INCONCEIVABLE

Posted by: Vizzini | July 10, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

We use to have such a nice little blog here and then those nasty OBers invaded.

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:14 PM

This has never been an nice little blog. It's filled with hateful statements from folks like OB, OB go away and ljb.

Posted by: Cecilia! You're Breaking my Heart! | July 10, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Inconceivable?

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Have you by any chance seen somebody typing on this blog with five fingers on their right hand?

Posted by: Fo3 | July 10, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

No, but thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut, and pour lemon juice on it?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

F03, I'm assuming most of us have 5 fingers on our right hands. ;)

My favorite lines: "I have no gate key." "Fezik, tear his arms off." "Oh, you mean this gate key." The timing is perfect.

Posted by: atb | July 10, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"atb, atlmom, laura, foamgnome and others have tried from time to time to raise the level of discourse, but it's never worked. "

Can pretentious bores ever raise the level of anything but their own sagging egos?

Posted by: Zzzzzzzzzz | July 10, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh,no I was not talking about these ladies (and AB) but the new ones we have since OB shut down.

I am really glad that Brian came over!

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"I know just what you are saying, LJB. We use to have such a nice little blog here and then those nasty OBers invaded. I wish they would just go away!"

Actually you had and still have a very boring blog. On Balance was Yankee Stadium, this is the Toledo Mudhens.

Posted by: yawn | July 10, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I am really glad that Brian came over!

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:43 PM

So what you really want is a gated community? Nice.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I've got loads to share here-

On licking the beaters, yes I totally still do that. To me the risk is worth the fun :)

On bumps- why wait until there's a bump? If it's really a bad bump, put ice BEFORE and it can reduce the swelling immediately.

On cuts- I got a cut on my face at a playground when I was four and immediate got up and played again. Well it got infected very badly and I've had a scar on my cheek ever since.

On kissing boo-boos- My partner and I STILL kiss eachothers boo-boos and "make it better" Why on earth would anyone not take the opportunity to do that as often as they could?

I think it's pretty easy to tell when a kid is really hurt and when they are just jonesing for the attention. Sometimes you need to just let them scream and get the immediate shock out of their system, and sometimes you hold them in close and go over with a fine tooth comb.

Posted by: Liz D | July 10, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

from http://many-ideas.blogspot.com/2007/04/cookie-dough-cold-killer.html

This study estimates that only 1 in 30 000 eggs is potentially contaminated with Salmonella, so at most there is a 1 in 15 000 chance that your dough is going to have any Salmonella bacteria. (If the first egg doesn't have Salmonella, the second egg has a smaller than 1 in 30 000 chance of having it too, so 1 in 15 000 is an over-estimate of the risk.) Assuming that it's certain that you will catch an infection from tainted dough, that puts your risk of death from tasting the dough at less than 1 in 36 million; if you have a healthy immune system your risk is considerably smaller. The daily chance of getting a flu as bad as a non-fatal flu-like Salmonella infection are 1 in a few hundred, so you really don't need to worry about salmonella from cookie dough: background risk levels are much higher."

Posted by: huh? | July 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

From the egg board:

"Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria (salmonella). So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small - 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you're an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years."

Once in 84 years, eh? I'm a gambler...

Posted by: Katie | July 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I eat me some cookie dough. And cake batter. And brownie batter. The good news is, even if you're worried, you can at least eat the premade cookie dough from the store since it's been pasteurized or something. Also, you can safely lick the mashed potatoes beaters! Yum!

Posted by: atb | July 10, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"So what's the risk of getting salmonellosis from eating cookie dough from a two-egg recipe?"

Don't care. Licking beaters is ghetto.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Weeds and Princess Bride fans.

Posted by: Liz D | July 10, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Donna muses:
"But I still wonder if I am doing enough."

Donna, whatever you do, it is not enough. You need to do more.

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | July 10, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the rest of you, but I refuse to lick THAT!! Lord knows where it's been or what manner of oogy pathogens are on it!

Posted by: Pillsbury Doughboy | July 10, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Licking beaters is ghetto.

Posted by: | July 10, 2008 3:10 PM

Interesting moral compass.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm a dough mongerer, and I let the kids lick the beaters. But I also teach them to wash hands before beginning cooking and after handling egg shells.

On band-aids, I have stopped buying the fancy kind, as they don't stay on very well. If we need a band-aid, we generally need one that stays on longer than a few hours. I never considered putting a sticker on them. I'm sure my kids would like the idea if asked, but I am not going to give them the idea.

In general, I am a firm believer in soap and water to clean a wound, and a little neosporin on the bandaid. Wounds are treated with TLC as long as the wounded child isn't milking it--that gets no sympathy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope, or a tree branch, or find something useful to do.

Inigo Montoya: I could do that. I have got some rope up here. But, I do not think that you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.

Westley: That does put a damper on our relationship.

Posted by: Westley | July 10, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Yo - OB, OB go away,

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Posted by: Buttercup's best friend | July 10, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Stacey: not to be contrarian, but maybe a sticker isn't a good idea? Don't the bandaids have holes in them to allow the bandaid to breathe a little bit - and wouldn't covering that up create a situation that is less than ideal?

I mean, you don't let the kids lick the beaters, wouldn't letting a cut breathe be much more important (I don't cook often in the house - at least not baking, I guess - so the kids rarely have the opportunity - but yes, I'm on the let 'em lick side).

Posted by: atlmom | July 10, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

fr Liz D:

>...On bones- we have three generations in my family now where a child has broken something and it's taken hours or more before the mom will believe them and take them in. They aren't being mean or clueless, they just didn't consider it enough for a real break....

Sheesh.

Posted by: alex | July 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't let my kids lick the beaters or the bowl when we bake- because I want to lick them myself! I tell them that they can't lick because it's not healthy, and then when they're in another room I lick the whole thing myself.

Posted by: acorn | July 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acorn | July 10, 2008 3:34 PM

Eat tomatoes with your cookie dough and they'll never be able to prove which was the source.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do..... go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Posted by: Have fun storming the castle! | July 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Boy am I going to feel dumb when my kids are visiting me in the hospital with salmonella... "

Buy a lottery ticket the same day you lick the beaters.

Posted by: Bookie | July 10, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Go away or I'll call the Brute Squad

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Is very strange. I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it's over, I don't know what to do with the rest of my life.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

You guys are cracking me up -- one of my all-time favorite movies.

I'm totally on the lick-the-beaters side. But I also make my kids wash hands after handling raw eggs (at least until they can learn to crack them without getting egg everywhere). I figure if we're going to end up with salmonella, I at least want to enjoy what got me there. :-)

Of course, I also bake a fair bit with Eggbeaters, which makes it less of an issue.

Posted by: Laura | July 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

You've got an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble someday.

Posted by: Count Rugen | July 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Posted by: MN | July 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Posted by: Wait till I get going! | July 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

When I was your age, television was called books.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Iocaine comes from Australia.

So does Hugh Jackman.

Posted by: Hat? What hat? | July 10, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

Posted by: Vizzini | July 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

And you: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed in Greenland!

Posted by: vizzini was a chump | July 10, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

as you wish

Posted by: quark | July 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Because you have always been so kind to me, and I won't be seeing you again since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But in the mean time, rest well and dream of large women.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Please consider me as an alternative to suicide.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Probably some local fisherman out for a pleasure cruise, at night, through eel-infested waters.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"Give us the gate key."

"I have no key."

"Fezzik, tear his arms off."

"Oh, you mean this gate key."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Posted by: Inigo | July 10, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous...is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this...never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!...Hahaha haha ha...ahahahahah ahahaha - thump.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Prince Humperdinck: I think your bluffing.

Westley: It's possible, Pig. I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.

Posted by: And more | July 10, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, the sot has spoken. What happens to her is not truly your concern. I will kill her. And remember this, never forget this: when I found you, you were so slobbering drunk, you couldn't buy Brandy!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped."

Posted by: And more | July 10, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"Your father has had his annual physical," the Count said. "I have the report."
"And?"
"Your father is dying."
"Drat!" said the Prince. "That means I shall have to get married."

Posted by: And more | July 10, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Narrator: Since the invention of the kiss, there had been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.
THE END.

Posted by: And finally | July 10, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OB, OB go away | July 10, 2008 2:43 PM

So what you really want is a gated community? Nice.

Posted by: | July 10, 2008 2:49 PM

No, I don't need a gated community. I just need poster here to respect the daily topic and respect each other. Some of the comments were so vile today that at least 2 were taken down.

Posted by: OB OB Go Away! | July 10, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

All of this reminds me of when I was a kid. We had a .75 acre yard so there was room to play. I remember one summer day when my Grandpop was visiting. I decided to ride my bike down the hill (no helmet or pads, of course) to where Pop was standing to show off for him. Well, i got a little out of control and Grandpop could see that. He decided to snatch me off of the bike before I went out into traffic on the road in front of my house. The momentum from the speed I had built up on the bike sent me chest first into a 20 inch diameter oak tree. After about 5 minutes on the ground, I got up and shook it off.

Posted by: SpareTheRod | July 10, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the drink methinks.

Also, OP is trading off between licking beaters and quoting the Princess Bride. I feel as though I have accomplished much today.

Posted by: Dorkus M. | July 10, 2008 3:37 PM

Posted by: OP is being invaded! | July 10, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

alex, you should post this on the OP blog. Cecilia and Donna will want to know.

Posted by: MM | July 10, 2008 4:21 PM

Posted by: OP is being invaded! | July 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to see that one blog is not big enough for this crowd - let's go hughjack, I mean, highjack another one somewhere....

Posted by: Like the Romans of old, Groovis wants to embiggen our world | July 10, 2008 4:35 PM

Posted by: OP is being invaded! | July 10, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I think we Lizards must tread lightly onto other blogs.

Not everyone appreciates our sense of humor (go figure), and they take their little e-worlds very seriously.

I surely wouldn't want Queen Liz to get in any pissing matches with colleagues because her humble subjects got likkered up and invaded another territory. (Just think of all the DaneCook the good ol' USofA got into by deciding to go to Iraq.)

Unless, of course, you're thinking of jumping over Gene's wall.

Posted by: Curmudgeon, who is the cranky voice of reason here | July 10, 2008 4:51 PM

Posted by: OP is being invaded! | July 10, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I posted the above comments under "OP is being invaded" to show you that there is a not so subtle plot out there to wreck OP.

Posted by: OB OB Go Away! | July 10, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"You seem to treat me as a voice in the wilderness. You now have proof that others are out to get us!"

The difference of opinion appears to be primarily as to the quality (or lack thereof) of this blog BEFORE said invasion. Many agree that it was already mean and nasty, and several have said it was boring. The question is not whether you have been invaded, but whether you were worth invading.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

My, my, my, what a day!

Germane comments: 12

Troll Bull: 110

Censored: 2*

*thanks for the count, OB, OB

Posted by: Today's Count | July 10, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I have always been of the "shake it off, it's not that bad" school of parenting but sometimes that's not a good thing. When my now 16 year old son was three he injured his leg. Although he complained about pain there was no swelling, no bruise or anything so we didn't go to the emergency room. The next day when I did take him because he was still crying we discovered that the leg was broken. I felt like the worst parent in the world. Thankfully, he has forgiven me.

Posted by: pellis | July 11, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OB OB Go Away! | July 10, 2008 7:04 PM

Just what blog have you been reading, sweetheart? For months, posters have slammed Stacey's looks and parenting and have referred to her child as a masturbating thumb-sucker.

Get over yourself and your hysteria. There's no plot. No proof. No "us". It's a public blog plus free will. It's Central Park, if you will. You, on the other hand, haven't contributed anything on point for days. Why is that?

Posted by: to OB OB | July 11, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I coddle my children or tell them to "shake it off" depending on the injury. However, our pediatricians and nurses know us by name and I know the inside of every ER we've ever lived by.

I'm not a hypochondriac, but I won't take chances with a problem one of my children is having. If I am unsure or if it will worry me all night, I just go see a doctor. I'd rather have the doctor tell me its nothing than to not have a problem taken care of that could turn out to be something.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse