Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Saturday Morning Laughs

Beep Beep. Beep Beep.

"Wile E. Coyote vs. Roadrunner" has been running through the halls of our house lately -- literally -- thanks to some newly found cartoons on YouTube and husband's newfound talent making animal balloon roadrunners.

The cartoons bring back fond memories of watching Saturday morning cartoons while Mom and Dad slept in. The time before flipping between The Disney Channel, The Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Discovery Channel and PBS was an option.

So, "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate." Let's have a "Yabba- Dabba-Doo" time today with the best cartoons of all time.

Here's a start at nominations:

1. Schoolhouse Rock: "I'm just a bill. I'm only a bill." Sometimes the best part of watching Saturday morning cartoons was the commercials that ran in between.

2. Bugs Bunny

3. The Jetsons

4. Scooby Doo

5. Popeye

Agree? Disagree? What else belongs on the list?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  August 12, 2008; 11:00 AM ET  | Category:  Elementary Schoolers , Preschoolers
Previous: Math: A Lot of Questions With Few Answers | Next: Off With the Training Wheels

Comments

First!

Posted by: First Comment | August 12, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yet another retread of an OB topic.......

Posted by: Having a bad day? | August 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"The time before flipping between The Disney Channel, The Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Discovery Channel and PBS was an option."

Before PBS! Yikes! How old is Stacey?

Posted by: Huh? | August 12, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I overheard a parody of "Popeye the Sailor Man" sung by a boy on my kindergarten bus This is how it went.

I'm Popeye the sailor man. [toot, toot]
I live in a frying pan.
I turned on the gas,
And burned my ass.
I'm Popeye the sailor man! [toot, toot]

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 12, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Put the bong down, Whacky.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Fritz the Cat

Posted by: Educational Television | August 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I loved the Peanuts on Saturday @ 8. Of course, the Jetsons and the Flintstones were a must too.

Posted by: dani b. | August 12, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

One of the family stories my mom used to tell was how my sister got into trouble for reciting the Popeye parody in class in kindergarten. This was about 1955.

I liked Bugs Bunny and the Flintstoens. I found Tom and Jerry to be inexplicably annoying.

I'd rather for my kids to watch Boomerang than Cartoon Network (which has some really stupid stuff).

Posted by: theoriginalmomof2 | August 12, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember much about Saturday morning cartoons because TV was very restricted for us. Maybe that was a good thing but it sure didn't seem so as a child. We knew we were being deprived or so we thought!

So the only one that I remember off the top of my head is Spiderman. Who can't remember the theme song for it? I still can after all these years.

Posted by: Billie | August 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Fritz the Cat

Posted by: Educational Television | August 12, 2008 12:55 PM

When I was a kid, I had mixed this title up with the "Felix the Cat" cartoon and told my aunt and uncle I wanted to see Fritz the Cat. Their facial expressions in response to this statement were interesting.

Posted by: theoriginalmomof2 | August 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

not a saturday morning cartoon but johnny quest. i loved the children's film festival. it was on cbs & showed international movies about kids. some of the movies were incredibly stupid but some were lovely.
scooby doo
jetsons
bugs bunny
flintstones

Posted by: quark | August 12, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

what about alvin and the chipmunks?
LOVED them.
and duck tales.

Posted by: alvin!!!!!!!! | August 12, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

We got schoolhouse rock on dvd and the kids love to watch it (well, the kids love to watch a test pattern, but...).

There are some things on there that are 'extras' and one is the 'making' of it. It was just a silly idea from someone and they had no idea what they had, etc. And it got produced and on the air, etc, but it wasn't one of those: hey we need something educational things. It was just a whimsical side project from a cartoonist.

When I was in grad school, I would be up early on a saturday AM and watch some cartoons, and then realized that they were replaying it and how many years it had been since i had seen it, etc. And I still remembered all the songs.

Watching the dvd, though, it's so strange that there are some I've NEVER seen...

Posted by: atlmom | August 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I don't watch cartoons anymore with the kids. Its so depressing. Me and my hubby used to watch them with the kids but now that we're separated its not happening.

Posted by: Donna | August 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Thinking about those old cartoons reminds me of all the cereal adds along with an old saying my mother used to recite, "You are what you eat"

Now I have to go shake an image of ArmyBrat eating a bowl of Fruit Loops and Donna munching on Frosted Flakes out of my frontal lobe.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 12, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 12, 2008 1:24 PM

Now don't you start pickin' on Donna. She's having enough problems dealing with her husband having a secret affair with her brother.

Posted by: Nancy | August 12, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Now don't you start pickin' on Donna"

OK Nancy, I've replaced Donna with an image of NewSAHM helping herself to a
second helping of Coco Puffs.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 12, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I read this blog on Saturday morning for my funnies. It is hilarious!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Just like yesterday, someone else is posting as ME! Please sTOP it!

And thanks for your concern, Nancy.

Posted by: Donna | August 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nancy | August 12, 2008 1:27 PM

There's one born every minute!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, man, Felix the Cat -- now there's something I haven't thought about in years.

I'm really enjoying watching my own kids get into the same stuff I liked 35ish years ago. My 2 1/2 yr old is fixated on Scooby Doo, and boy, is it interesting to watch those things all these years later. My 7-yr-old really enjoys Schoolhouse Rock, so I bought the DVD. Added bonus, when she got really stressed about schoolwork last spring, it was a nice, mellow way to reinforce some of the grammar concepts she was learning, without seeming like work.

Posted by: Laura | August 12, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It brings me to tears, but I used to love Peanuts. Now that C. Schulz is no longer with us, I cant watch them anymore since I start bawling everytime I see them on tv.

Posted by: Nancy | August 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"OK Nancy, I've replaced Donna with an image of NewSAHM helping herself to a
second helping of Coco Puffs."

Nah, Coco Puffs are gross. I'll take Corn Pops instead.

Posted by: NewSAHM | August 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Have a very smurfy day!

Posted by: Happy Smurf | August 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Laura | August 12, 2008 2:32 PM

Classic MM crap. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What about:

1. Mighty Mouse
2. Underdog
3. Peppy LePiew
4. Woody Woodpecker
5. Inspector Gadget

Those were the days. I don't let my son watch Cartoon Network at all. Alot of what they show is really ridiculous IMVHO

Posted by: Cubicle | August 12, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

tom and Jerry KILLS our 4 year old. Seriously-- on the floor rolling around hyperventilating with paryoxisms of laughter. We can only find it on youtube so far. Not avail on Netflix. Don't have a VCR anymore, so it's either youtube or nothing until I can find a DVD. anyone know why netflix doesn't have it? I never watched the show myself-- but seeing him so happy from such a simple thing is great for me to see!

Posted by: capitol hill | August 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Tom & Jerry were on daily, right before GI Joe. I think it was on TBS (this was mid-80s).

Saturday morning:
Smurfs
Snorks
Shirt Tales
Hong Kong Fuey
And an odd one that no one else ever remembers, but I loved it when I was about 8 - Glaxey High.

Posted by: RT | August 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hong Kong Phooey!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

My favorite cartoon? Sasquatch and byoolin do Dollywood!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Classic MM crap. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 3:14 PM

Someone forgot to take his Prozac again and is looking for a dog to kick.

Watch Underdog. You will feel better.

Posted by: eeny miney moe | August 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed cartoons as a teenager. I used to watch GI Joe, Thunder Cats, Voltron and probably others. I also liked lots of the Loony Tunes like Tasmanian Devil, Foghorn Leghorn, the Dog and the coyote, Pepe. I think I was a bigger fan of the toons that you didn't see that often than I was of the regulars like Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny.

To me these are great cartoons and I don't relate to the new cartoons like yo gi oh, sponge bob and such like.

Posted by: Billie | August 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Archie cartoon and the comic books.

Josie and the Pussycats.

And Fat Albert!

Posted by: theoriginalmomof2 | August 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Two words: Jonny. Quest.
The pinnacle achievement of all of Hanna Barbara's work, far higher quality animation than that which followed. More of an illustrated adventure series than cartoon animation.

Posted by: MrAtoZ | August 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

the Animaniacs.
A clever cartoon that had enough silly to attract kids and enough clever reference to history, politics, etc. to amuse adults. I miss it.

Also, not a cartoon, but the (original) Muppets rule.

Posted by: VaLGaL | August 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

It's sure a slow day, but I'm still surprised that no one has mentioned Quick-Draw McGraw, Speedy Gonzolas, Snaggle Tooth, or Huckleberry Hound.

Posted by: Sue | August 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

How about the Laff-a-Lympics and Wacky Races.

Posted by: Those were the days... | August 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Crusader Rabbit!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Rocky and Bullwinkle!

Posted by: Alex | August 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

hi newSAHM, sorry for the wisecrack! I'm a Captain Crunch and Crunchberries guy myself. It made the roof of my mouth raw from savoring the flavor and sucking on the crunchberries, but that didn't stop me.

On topic, my top 3 cartoons -
1. Deputy Dawg, came on weekdays before school too
2. The Pink Panther, the music was cool
3. HR Puff & Stuff

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | August 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

1. Bugs Bunny and all his friends
2. Underdog
3. H.R. Puffinstuff (live but still)
4. Seymour the Sea Monster
5. Rocky & Bullwinkle's Fractured Fairy Tales

Posted by: Ishgebibble | August 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Inch High Private Eye

Posted by: Here's One! | August 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...Floghorn Leghorn, Bugs and Elmer Fudd, Mighty Mouse, The Simpsons

Posted by: SpareTheRod | August 13, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I also loved the Schoolhouse Rock cartoons. When I was in 8th grade all the kids had to take a "constitution test" which included writing out the Preamble. When all the 8th graders were assembled in the auditorium taking the test it was hilarious to hear the Preamble song from Schoolhouse rock being hummed all over the place. Everybody join in..."We the people..." :)

Posted by: Suzanne | August 14, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse