Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Nursing in Public -- Again?

Reading The Consumerist earlier this week was a little too much like deja vu.

A Consumerist blog reader -- Addie -- wrote in that she was told not to breastfeed while trying out a glider at a Babies R Us store in California:

"I went to this Babies R Us Saturday to pick up some stairway gates and to try out gliders - my son needed to nurse, so I decided to multitask and nurse and try out a glider at the same time. Within a microsecond, an employee named Mike came over to me and told me that if I needed to "do that", that I had to use the mother's room in the store (mind you, I was COMPLETELY covered by a nursing cover). I told him that I did not want to nurse my baby in a room that smelled like baby poop. He stood there, shaking his head at me in disgust, and told me that it was store policy, and that if I needed to "do that", it had to be in the mother's room. He stared me down until I got up and left."

Well, Addie, you're not alone. Six and a half years ago, I was shopping at a Maryland Babies R Us when my first son needed to nurse. It was early in my mommy days, and I'd barely spent any time at the store. So I didn't know about a special nursing room in the back of the store. However, in the front, right near where I was, there were some large, comfy chairs. I sat down and discreetly started to nurse my hungry, crying child. A store employee came over and asked if I'd like to use the room in the back of the store. Well, this little one was traditionally a difficult child to nurse, and once I had him settled, there was no way I was moving.

I thanked the employee, but said, "I'm fine here." The employee walked away but not without casting me glances the entire time I was nursing. I left the store amazed at how public nursing was considered a problem -- even at a baby store.

Over the years, I nursed at Starbucks, in airports, on benches in public places such as the zoo. The only place I was ever asked to move was at that store.

Addie wrote in an e-mail to me: "I was not trying to be a 'lactivist' or make a political statement. I was just trying to feed my child."

She has complained via mail to both the Babies R Us store and its corporate office.

Toys R Us spokeswoman Kathleen Waugh relays the companywide breasfeeding policy as follows:

"Parents and children are at the heart of our business, and making sure they have everything they need to be healthy, safe and comfortable is a priority for us. That is why "R" Us stores have a policy that any mother may breastfeed her baby in the place of her choice within our stores. Although some of our stores have designated nursing areas, it is the mother's choice as to where she would prefer to breastfeed. Our organization is fully committed to the rights of breastfeeding mothers through this policy, products we sell, and seminars that support breastfeeding.

"Without knowing the details, it appears that the associate was asking the customer not to sit on product we sell, rather than challenging her right to breastfeed on the selling floor," Waugh wrote in an e-mail.

Forty states and the District of Columbia have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed anywhere, including Maryland and California, where Addie is from. Twenty-five states exclude breastfeeding from public indecency laws, including Virginia.

Over the past several years, nursing moms have supported those who've gotten the boot with breastfeeding sit-ins at such places as airports, McDonald's, Starbucks, and a Toys R Us store in Times Square.

By Stacey Garfinkle |  September 19, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Babies , Newsmakers
Previous: Sex Ed: How Early? How Detailed? | Next: Do You Know What to Do When Your School Locks Down?

Comments

goodness, have you ever heard of feeding your child before you go out? nursing isn't like going to the bathroom, it shouldn't be a surprise that your child needs to eat at a certain time. what's wrong with sitting in the car?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

You people really think it's unreasonable for a store to not want breastfeeding women to use their goods for sale as a lactation perch? Seriously? I would be very disturbed if I had gone into that store looking for a glider, only to find a nursing woman occupying a floor model. What if I wanted to test if out? Should I say “excuse me, please move so that I might test the glider before buying?” No, that’s probably unacceptable to you “lactavists.” Or maybe the company would like to avoid all possibility of getting breast milk or baby barf on their products. Doesn’t seem like too much to ask to me. And hey, that’s why minivans have tinted windows! Get off your high horse, babies happen all the time, and you are in no way special because you had one.

Posted by: x y and z | September 19, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Never got a glare or look. Boy, I wish I had. The economy sized can of Whoop A$$ that I would have opened up on such an idiot would have been fun!

I never had anything but positive and encouraging feedback from strangers, friends and family -- except for my mother-in-law, but she's slightly off her rocker anyway.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Wow, such animosity, so early in the AM. I have nursed pretty much everywhere. Most of the time, no one had any idea what I was doing. In the beginning, at the mall, I would find their 'nursing room' which was right off the bathroom, but after a few times of that, I would just sit on a bench that was nearby. Again, no one seemed to notice.
At babies r us, I have used the mom's room (even finding a friend and playmate for my kid there! really!).
Never had anyone have issues with my nursing (youngest is 3, so it's been a while).

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who is angered by women lactating in public should probably breathe really deeply, and count for ten seconds.

IT'S OK.

Posted by: Dan | September 19, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

My MIL just thought it was strange (as did my mom, who made comments to my sister when she had her child). They were raised in a different time and place. 'if formula is good enough for my kids - it should be good enough for you!'
But my MIL didn't really say anything direct (she's from the south) it was those offhanded comments, but again, just because she didn't understand more than anything. My sister was much worse than that. And she *did* know better, as she was doing the same research I was.

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of nursing! That said, I do have to agree with part of xyz's post about using the floor model. Just as you wouldn't necessarily eat everywhere, you probably shouldn't feed your child everywhere. I'm sure Toys 'R Us wouldn't be psyched if the baby spit up on the floor model.

Posted by: Moxiemom | September 19, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

There's no anger towards nursing in public in general, but if I own a chair store, and find a woman nursing in one of my products, you can bet I'm kicking her butt out.

Posted by: x y and z | September 19, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with sitting the in car? I don't have one. What's wrong with feeding before I leave? I do. Nursing babies need to eat VERY often, sometimes every hour or more. If I could not nurse in public, I would never leave the house.
I don't buy the "not nursing in their product" argument unless they also ask bottlefeeding parents to remove themselves to a separate room.
What's wrong with you averting your eyes and going about your business? Babies happen all the time, and if you don't like to see them eating, don't look--or put a blanket over your head. Just because you are scared of breastmilk doesn't make you special. You could always go sit in your car, or cover yourself to protect your modesty.

Posted by: lact | September 19, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Moxie mom and xy&z, should we assume that you mean that if you see a baby nursing OR being bottle fed, OR a childless adult sipping bottled water or whatever, that you would also request that the customer vacate.

Posted by: if it's not about nursing, then... | September 19, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I normally don't care where someone breastfeeds. But this is a different circumstance. You're not sitting in a waiting area or some area where chairs are provided for the customer's use. You're sitting on a product for sale, that even if it is a floor model someone else will eventually buy it. You don't own it, it's not provided for your comfort. It's purpose is to show the product. Also, as has been mentioned above, you're keeping other people from testing the product or even being able to look at it.

Posted by: Pittsburgh | September 19, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm a proponent of breastfeeding, and I have no problem with nursing in public. In fact, I did so for over a year. But when stores like Babies R us provide clean, comfortable rooms for nursing moms (and they do, I've used them), it's just plain silly to turn it around a claim they're against public nursing. Then the issue becomes more about the mom thinking she is entitled to do anything she wants, anywhere she wants, at any time, and damn the rest of the world. Not exactly a reasonable opinion.

I'd feel the same way, btw, if they'd asked a bottlefeeding mom to use the mother's room. And yeah, it is kind of about protecting the merchandise. Milk (or formula) can spill, babies spit up. I'd be angry if I were an employee and a parent blithely refused to use the space we'd provided for feeding kids and instead chose to risk ruining a floor sample.

I guess the way I see it is that nursing in public is a valid last choice. If there's a family room or a quiet corner available, I'll always choose that before nursing front and center. I don't see a problem with a little discretion.

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I would feel the same way about anyone eating/drinking in a product that is for sale, rather than a public seat. It is the height of rudeness to disrupt someone's lively hood by using their products as your own personal living room. The only reason I am specifying nursing mothers is because that is the topic at hand.

Posted by: x y and z | September 19, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"Is that because you're squeamish about breasts, or do you feel the same way about letting a child drink from a bottle or sip cup in public? Just wondering."

No, it's not about the breasts. Again, I've nursed in public, I know that one very rarely flashes anyone. I wouldn't let my kid drink from any cup, sippy or not, on a store's furniture samples. Spills happen. And I've already said that I think both nursing moms and bottlefeeding parents should use the feeding space provided by the store.

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with x y and z - if the chair was just for the comfort of the customer, then anyone should be able to use it. But, if it is a sales model, it makes sense that the employee is trying to maintain the quality of the product. If you are tired, do you lay down on the matresses in a matress shop and take a nap? No - you try the mattress and move on. That is what floor display chairs are for - try it and move on.
BTW - I did breastfeed my children in public and never encountered any problems, so I am not against feeding my children in public, just the use of excuses.

Posted by: Amom | September 19, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

My god, you're sitting on someone's merchandise and they'd prefer you don't breastfeed on it because it's something they are trying to sell, and you're offended? Where in the world did this pervasive sense of self entitlement come from? Show some manners and if someone asks you not to breastfeed on something that is not yours, then go somewhere else and don't get in a huff about it - it's not that complicated.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: if it's not about nursing, then... | September 19, 2008 8:09 AM

It's not about nursing. It's about selling new, unstained, unused products. Feel free to sit on a chair provided for consumers to sit on - not a floor or display model offered as new merchandise to shopping customers.

You can't sit on furniture in a museum and nurse either. Nor can you step over the rope at the White House and pick the perch of your choice.

Where did this friggin' neverending sense of entitlement on behalf of nursing moms come from? You're nursing. WhoopDeDo. I'm changing a tire but I can't do that on your lawn simply because that's the most convenient spot for me to change it. There's a place for nursing, bottle drinking, eating snacks and conversing with shopping partners and it's NOT on new merchandise.

Posted by: l, m and n | September 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I think if the store says "No Food or Drink" that applies to everyone. You are not on dialysis, you can go to another location that is appropriate for feeding (breast, bottle, sippy cup etc.). I do think that nursing is important, but like other things with children, sometimes you need to make adjustments to how you do things for a time.

Posted by: Moxiemom | September 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"I told him that I did not want to nurse my baby in a room that smelled like baby poop..."

Oh, it is very clear, her poop doesn't stink!

Posted by: Entitlement Mentality | September 19, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh, gag, not again. 'Do that' out of sight. Would you take a dump in the middle of the store as well? Feed your kid before you leave home and spare us the disgusting show.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Let me clarify my position: I don't think it's okay to sit on merchandise and nurse if they don't allow others (children) to eat/drink there either. And Babies R Us is very kind to provide Mothers' Rooms -- it's certainly good for business. (I personally always liked Nordstroms lounge.) I don't think it's a question of moms feeling "entitled" to nurse in public -- they're feeding they're child. We never talk about people who dare to bottle feed in public, and truly, what is the difference?

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

BRU doesn't sell you the chair/crib/dresser on display. They get you a new one in the box from the back. If spit-up is the issue, then you'd think they'd object to any baby being rocked in the chairs. My son's worst spit-ups, explosive poops, etc., were always well after meal time, and bottle feedings are ususally messier than breastfeeding, in my experience.

Also, not all babies are on schedules, especially newborns, who are supposed to be fed "on demand." I think most moms try to feed the baby before they leave home, but it doesn't always work.

I think what really rankles here is that it's a baby store that sells tons of nursing supplies. I expected a few problems in non-baby places, but a baby store?

Posted by: just to be clear | September 19, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Ack! Not enough coffee. Should be:

They're feeding their child.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Actually, they do sell the floor models at the end of the season!

Posted by: moxiemom | September 19, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

But eventually, floor models are sold. And stores generally don't want soiled items as displays.

Would you like someone to nurse on your brand new silk couch when another chair is available?

Oh, you can always have it cleaned!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think it's a question of moms feeling "entitled" to nurse in public -- they're feeding they're child. We never talk about people who dare to bottle feed in public, and truly, what is the difference?"

The way I'm reading Stacey's post, both she and the Consumerist blogger were outraged that they were asked not to feed their kids on store merchandise. That's where the outsized sense of entitlement comes in. They weren't asked not to nurse at all, they were simply asked to move to the area that the store had already provided for that purpose. For all we know, a parent giving his or her child a bottle would also be asked to move.

To me, it's the automatic assumption that BabiesRUs was discriminating again nursing moms that raises a red flag here and indicates a sense that both Stacey and the other mom feel that they should be entitled to do anything they want at any place and time, and heaven help anyone who protests. At that point, it's not really about nursing at all.

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

What if I wanted to test if out?

Ummm, she was testing it out. Have you ever heard of waiting your turn?

Posted by: geez | September 19, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 8:54 AM

We don't talk about people who bottle feed on merchandise in a store because there aren't any Bottle Nazis who feel righteous messing up store inventories. There is no difference between nursing and any other form of consumption when it comes to consideration for the property of others.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's a pic just for ArmyBrat, Moxiemom, and WorkingMomX.

You guys will thank me later!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

It is a baby store!! New moms are bombarded with information about how "breast is best"! Get over yourselves. There is nothing wrong with nursing an infant at a baby store. And it shouldnt be a surprise for anyone going in to look at furniture either--or they are in the wrong store. And especially early on, there is no way to know when a newborn is going to be hungry...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

As someone who nursed and has spent ungodly sums at Babies R Us, I'm glad that they provide a room for nursing AND that they protect their floor models. I don't go there to buy used, stained, junk. If I wanted that, I'd go to a flea market. Use the feeding room like the rest of us. It's common courtesy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:12 AM

Get over thine own bad self.

Why is it incomprehensible to you to use a room specially set aside for feeding babies in order to FEED YOUR BABY??

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Anon at 9:12,

Nobody said that Stacey or the other mom couldn't/shouldn't nurse at the store at all (ok, maybe one wingnut on this blog). The issue here is whether "on store merchandise" is an appropriate place for a feeding (of any sort).

I assume from your attitude that you'd be ok with me packing a picnic lunch and plopping down in the aisle of a grocery store to feed my kid? No? Hmm, why not?

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I do not like to breastfeed in public. My baby likes to lie down and that is kind of hard in public places. That being said, I will and have, breastfed him in public and I will continue to do so. I am discreet, but if you don’t like it, don’t look at me.

If you say something to me, you can expect to have me say something back to you, and you will probably not like it. The real issue here is not whether you can or cannot breastfeed in public places; according to Stacy and the 40 states she posted, you can.

The issue is whether or not you have the back bone to do it, ignore the looks from people who can’t mind their own business, and stand up to the people who have the nerve to say something. Geez, it’s your baby after all.

That being said, I wouldn’t nurse on anyone’s furniture that they were trying to sell whether it be at a yard sale or babie R us. I have also nursed in their nursing room. The one I was at was clean and comfy.

Posted by: backbone, please | September 19, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight.....

* If you were born in and grew up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're 'exotic, different.'

* Grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor; spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

* If you're total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive and next in line behind a man in his eighth decade.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising two beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and then left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a true Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

* If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America's.

* If you're husband is nicknamed 'First Dude', with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now.

Posted by: tom | September 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:09 AM

That is utter BS. I've seen people bottle feeding everywhere and letting their kids eat cheerios and drink from sippy cups all over stores, including on merchandise, and no one says a word. And there are PLENTY of mothers who bottle feed who are righteous about it, who proudly talk about how their body is their own, or their breasts belong to their husband, etc.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Cheerios don't stain like baby barf!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 9:04 AM

Exactly. They weren't kicked out of the store; they were directed to a nursing room. Like you said, spills happen. I don't see that that's remotely unreasonable. (And who would feed their kid while sitting in a floor model?? That's just rude.)

Really, the sense of entitlement some people seem to have is unbelievable...they just don't get it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"I think if the store says "No Food or Drink" that applies to everyone."

I take the Metro train to work every day where "no food or drink" is the policy. I've heard stories like Metro police pushing down a pretnant woman for talking on her cell too loud - outside in the parking lot and taking diabetics to jail for consuming sugar in order to prevent a seizure.

I'm afraid of popping a breath mint in my mouth on Metro for fear that one of these jerks will catch me and fine me, - I think the going rate is $100, - twice as much as a normal speeding ticket. Oh! the crime of it!

Now for the nursing mother and her baby. It wouldn't surprise me to read about a woman and baby getting a ticket, or for that matter, taken to jail if she is under 18, by violating the no food or drink law in the Metro system for nursing her baby. Policy - you know.

My opinion; I've heard a baby wail for a half an hour and there is little that can be more nerve-racking. In fact, it only takes about 3 minutes before everyone around has the same thought. STICK A NIPPLE IN IT!

On topic - I think Stacey's column today has much more to do with courtesy and respect for others property than it has to do with breast feeding.

Posted by: Whacky Weasel | September 19, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Cheerios don't stain like baby barf!

Please, you just make yourself look stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

What bugs me about this subject is that the breast-feeding mom thinks that her desire to breast-feed anywhere is somehow more important than the store owner's desire to not offend other patrons. Should other people be offended? Probably not. But should store owner suffer because of this? Definitely not. It's the store owner's property and he has every right to decide how it is used. Just because breast-feeding is natural doesn't make it automatically appropriate at any place at any time.

Think about it this way. Suppose you are in church and you need to feed your child. Would you take your child up to the altar where there is a free pew? Or would you go to the back of the church where you could breast-feed in private? Just because there is a chair at the altar doesn't make it appropriate for you to breast-feed there. Or suppose you bring your child to work with you. Would you breast-feed in a conference room during a meeting, or would you go in your office and close the door?

Posted by: geez | September 19, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Tom I guess all those people in the inner city shouldnt be allowed to vote since they didn't go to college. Oh and you are on the wrong blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It is NOT OK to nurse your child while sitting on an item that is clearly for sale. That is unsanitary and will totally discourage potential buyers. If the nursing room is malodorous or uncomfortable, ask the store manager if you can sit in the employee break room. But don't nurse on the merchandise.

Posted by: DC Fem | September 19, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Cheerios don't stain like baby barf!

Please, you just make yourself look stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:27 AM

The point being Cheerios can be swept off furniture but baby barf can't.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I think you Lefty Lucys are jealous of Sarah because she still looks hot after spawning 5 times. You look like a tomato worm after only one or two. As for the 'experience' issue, she's been Governor longer than Osama has been a Senator.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Pre- and partially chewed Cheerios can't be swept off furniture. Just sayin'.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I was at a restaurant where my husband worked -- not there for dinner, not bothering anyone, just a visit with daddy -- and my daughter needed to nurse. I went into the ladies' room, draped a blankie and fed her. As a novice nurser, I was trying super-hard to be discreet and was practically hiding in a tent. A woman came up to me and said, "you know, they're going to outlaw that."
I said, "oh, good!" There was legislation pending in Va. at the time to make it legal to nurse anywhere. She looked at me kind of funny, so I said "What?"
She said, "Breastfeeding."
I didn't have an answer then, but ever since, I've always wondered how she thought that would work. Compulsory mastectomies?
By the time my second kid was weaned, I was such a pro that I could carry a kid in a sling, nurse and walk around, and people would be stunned I even had a baby with me. I guess they thought I was a fat lady in an unflattering scarf!

Posted by: mom of teens | September 19, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Pre- and partially chewed Cheerios can't be swept off furniture. Just sayin'.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | September 19, 2008 9:45 AM

If the parents don't even try to pick up after their offspring, nothing can be cleaned up.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:45 AM

what have you been smoking? she's been governor of a state whose population is the size of gaithersburg for only 2 years. her achievements: buying a tanning bed for the governor's mansion, trying to ban books from the library, and attempting to get tens of millions of dollars to build a bridge to nowhere. yes, we ARE jealous that we cant all be as corrupt and immoral while preaching family values.

Posted by: WRONG | September 19, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

of course, she could afford the tanning bed since she fired the chef ...
;)

Posted by: @wrong | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Osama -- 143 days = one session in the Senate. The rest of the time out campaigning.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM

You are such a blatant racist.

Posted by: Go Sarah NOT | September 19, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Whoa! I was never a public nurser, mostly because I couldn't get the hang of it. But there are some SERIOUSLY uptight boob-phobic people who read this blog.

Let's be real- there's no indication that some other customer was prevented from trying out a glider because the woman was nursing. Every time I shopped for gliders there was always some tired out dad hogging up one of them with his feet up and his eyes closed. Did I freak out and ask that he be escorted out to nap elsewhere? Of course not.

Posted by: Michelle | September 19, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Interesting discussion today.

Just to clarify, my incident occurred on the comfy large chairs at the front of the store that are used as a gathering spot. Those weren't for sale. Addie, though, was sitting on a glider on the sales floor.

Posted by: Stacey Garfinkle | September 19, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

She said, "Breastfeeding.""

That's pretty funny. Worst I ever had happen was a woman walked by me in the mall and sniff "gross!" when she saw I was nursing.

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: if it's not about nursing, then... | September 19, 2008 8:09 AM

Yup, sounds about right to me. Don't bottlefeed, breastfeed, let your kids climb on, change a diaper on, the floor model. Stores have a right to be protective of their merchandise.

I have nursed in various places, and I've never encountered resistance. Personally, I would have no problem with a woman nursing in public or even on a floor model glider. However, I understand where Babies R Us is coming from (if that's the real reason). Perhaps the Babies R Us personnel could have tactfully explained that he had to ensure the floor models don't incur spills. However, if someone is bound and determined that a request to move is an anti-breastfeeding jab, I don't think even tact would have worked.

Posted by: theoriginalmomof2 | September 19, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM

You are such a blatant racist.

So are you.................

Posted by: back at ya | September 19, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You are such a blatant racist.

So are you.................

Posted by: back at ya | September 19, 2008 10:16 AM

Posted by: Go Sarah NOT | September 19, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Have any of you seen the movie with Jewel and Toby McGuire? Part of the movie has Jewel breastfeeding and Toby staring at her the whole time because it excites him.
As a heterosexual male I have to say ladies, men love looking at breasts. We don't care if you are breastfeeding or not, so keep on doing it in public. We will keep on enjoying it. 99% of men feel this way, many just wont admit it. And neither would I if asked.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Appearing on Fox last night, Sarah Palin told Sean Hannity a heartwarming story of how she asked her teenage daughters for their opinion before accepting the vp offer.

"So ask the girls what they thought and they're like, 'Absolutely, let's do this, Mom,'" Palin recounted of her daughters, Bristol and Willow.

Yet, according to the campaign-provided timeline of how Palin's selection came about, her kids only found out the big news after they were spirited from Alaska to Ohio for the announcement.

"While there, Governor Palin's children, who had been told they were going to Ohio to celebrate their parents' wedding anniversary, were told for the first time that their mother would be a nominee for Vice President of the United States of America," said the official timeline, as released by McCain's campaign last month.
Todd Palin, in a separate interview with Fox this week, also said the kids were not told about the decision until after they left Alaska.

Asked about the discrepancy, Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said: "She asked the girls to vote once they arrived in Ohio."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:25 AM

What a surprise!!! Palin is willing to lie as much as anyone else in the McCain campaign. About anything!!!!

Posted by: christine | September 19, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Is Palin breastfeeding little Trig? (or whatever the baby's name is?)

Posted by: Hmmm... | September 19, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I love how people see this and then say something really clever like, "143 days" and choose to ingnore the rest of it (I mean it's SO obvious that he's lead the life of a true slacker!:-)

"If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review (that means he graduated from Harvard Law School), create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor (Wow, that's nothin'); spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people (Hmmm, more people in the state DISTRICT than in the entire state of Alaska), become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee (sorry, just doesn't stack up to PTA president), spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees"

Posted by: It's called denial | September 19, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Michelle | September 19, 2008 10:00 AM

That's not *even* the issue. The tired-out dad you mention is being just as rude. Like NewSAHM said, this is really about people feeling that they should be entitled to do anything they want at any place and time.

Having manners isn't a complicated concept...(and I have to say, it's refreshing to hear someone actually be reasonable about this topic for a change. Cheers NewSAHM.)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Would you have a problem with a father taking his infant into a bathroom and bottle feeding him on a public toilet?

Posted by: Go Sarah NOT | September 19, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

So it's racist if a white person criticizes a black one. However, if a black person criticizes a white one it's 'personal choice' and 'freedom of speech.' Stop using the race card when the candidate isn't qualified. The Happy Pants President was bad enough -- not to mention a total embarrassment. I don't want a Muslim in the White House. The majority of Americans don't either.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"You think it's reasonable and mannerly to expect people to feed a child on a toilet? Let's try gross, unsanitary, uncomfortable."

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:44 AM

I am speechless -- ALMOST. You make me sick.

Um, New SAHM, what if there's no family lounge? The point is, people only get heated about it because it's breastfeeding. No one gets this bent out of shape about bottle feeding babies (and let's not even start the discussion of the crap they put in formula anymore).

Posted by: Go Sarah NOT | September 19, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ah, newSAHM, but they are. There are plenty of places a new mom might find herself where there is no cozy lounge. When my first baby was tiny, I often found myself having to nurse in the laundromat. Been to the head in one of those?
How about the bus? Nowhere to hide! How about a restaurant casual enough to be comfortable for parents with young children? I don't know about you, newSAHM, but when I was a newSAHM myself, sometimes a trip to the deli for a sandwich was a lifesaver.
We were all babies, once. Society as a whole has a vested interest in all children's health. This is something that people, skeeved or not, should be polite enough to overlook out of necessity.

Posted by: Mom of teens | September 19, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

i'd rather have a muslim than the retarded cowboy fellow in the white house anyday.

Posted by: anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Go Sarah NOT | September 19, 2008 10:40 AM

not my problem! darwinism.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here, Mom of Teens. What's wrong with nursing on a bus, or at the laundromat? If you're reading me as being against nursing in public at all, then you're reading me wrong. In fact, the majority of the people posting today seem to be ok with public nursing in general , but only that it's rude to nurse on store merchandise when the store has already provided a place for parents to feed their kids.

I do think it's the responsibility of every parent to take care of their kids as discreetly and politely as possible. That means I'd advocate finding a quieter, less-trafficked area of a store, for instance, in which to nurse if there's no lounge available. But if the only option is front and center, than front and center it is.

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: @anonymous at 10:59 | September 19, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NewSAHM | September 19, 2008 11:08 AM

whats wrong with the toilet? you might have to put up with a smell or two, but still!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

That retarded cowboy fellow has a Master's degree from Yale. You don't get that by being retarded.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"In what way, exactly? It is typical of you to make statements as if they were fact but have nothing to back them up, so I'm calling you on it. Let's hear your evidence. You just posted yours (Osama)."

There is nothing about race in that post, just a play on words. You know, like lipstick on a pig.

Sarah go not, needs a pill go yes.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:15 AM

ummm, i believe his dad or grandfather bought him that degree. the cowboy fella was too busy boozing it up and snorting stuff up his nose to work for it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry -- make that Bachelor's from Yale, Master's from Hahvahd. Can you make the same statement?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, guys all like to look at breasts, whether they are attached to a baby or not. Couple years ago some disgruntled mutha got a bunch of nursers together and had a 'nurse in' at the airport. (She had been booted off a plane for doing it.) A bunch of guys went down to watch, hands in pockets of course.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Palin has been educated at such fantastic schools as:
Hawaii Pacific University
North Idaho College (2 year school)
University of Idaho
Matanuska-Susitna College
then back to Idaho where she finally got that degree after all of the transfer madness.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Palin has been educated at such fantastic schools as:
Hawaii Pacific University
North Idaho College (2 year school)
University of Idaho
Matanuska-Susitna College

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:37 AM

sounds like a winner! she totally represents what women should achieve to be like.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hawaii Pacific University
North Idaho College (2 year school)
University of Idaho
Matanuska-Susitna College

Wow, and people like you are why this blue collar democrat is voting republican. I guess people who don't go to college or don't go to schools on your "list" shouldn't be allowed to be president.

Posted by: elite, elite, elite | September 19, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So what are the chances of a VP actually becoming P? I think the last time that happened was Ford after Nixon 30+ years ago. Before that Johnson (talk about a retarded crook from Texas!) after Kennedy in 1963. Before that Truman after Roosevelt in 1945. Truman inherited WWII -- I think we ought to dig up 'Give 'em Hell, Harry' and let him run again.

It's highly unlikely Sarah will become President. The VP just stands in for the President at state funerals for foreign dignitaries. Big deal Let's hear some brouhaha about Biden, the hair transplant poster boy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Someone who transfers 5 times (she was at Idaho twice) just to get her BA sure shows a character trait of wishywashyness and indecisiveness that I sure don't want running my country.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Palin has been educated at such fantastic schools as:
Hawaii Pacific University
North Idaho College (2 year school)
University of Idaho
Matanuska-Susitna College

What's wrong with that?

Take your Ivy League and stick it where the sun don't shine, Messrs. Kaczynski (Harvard); Bush (Yale undergrad; Harvard MBA); Cheney (Yale); Rumsfeld (Princeton); Patrick Buchanan (Columbia); ... (shall I really continue?)

Posted by: Proud CSS Graduate | September 19, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I nurse in public, discreetly, and I refuse to be intimidated by people who disapprove. I always cover myself so that the breast is not exposed. I have, on very rare occasions, come across people who glare at me. I just smile at them, ignore them, or engage them in conversation, depending on my mood. A lady once asked me if I couldn't "do that" in the bathroom, and I asked here whether she would like to have her lunch in the bathroom. So she walked away.

Frankly, I don't care if people disapprove. When I was a new nursing mother, I was much more self-concious when I nursed. Nowadays, I feel no shame about it whatsoever. If people don't like it, it is not my problem.

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:48 AM

are you kidding? if mccain wins, he's gonna be nearly 80. you dont think he's gonna kick the bucket anytime soon? puhleez.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

So we can see how the Ivy League-educated folks have screwed up the world. Maybe we should turn it over to the state college grads for a change. They certainly couldn't do any worse.

Posted by: Night school grad of expensive college... | September 19, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"(shall I really continue?)"

Oh, please do!

Eliot Spitzer (Princeton undergrad; Harvard Law)
Donald Trump (Penn - Wharton, no less!)
Jeffrey Skilling (Harvard MBA)

Yes, I think that a degree from an Ivy League or Seven Sisters school should be a prerequisite for running for President!

Posted by: CSS Rock! | September 19, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 11:54 AM

Perhaps you should learn some manners. Thats not a nice way to speak to people. You should have gone to the bathroom, gotten a stall and fed your child, like a normal person.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:56 AM

Do the math - after one term he'd be 76. You don't get elected for 8 years in one election.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:56 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:03 PM

he's in his eighth decade you dimwit.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"No one gets this bent out of shape about bottle feeding babies" . . . except the lactivists who equate formula with crack and other nastiness and who judge those that choose/chose to bottle feed. ANd, I for one am sick of that and the lactivists in general.

You folks are getting all hyped up here . . . no one is saying that mothers should breastfeed on a toilet or not breastfeed in public (well, no reasonable person). But, nor should you feel entitle to simply breastfeed wherever you damn well please and everyone else take a hike? Give me a break and learn some courtesy. The issue here with the OP was nursing on STORE MERCHANDISE. And, sorry, whether it is nursing, bottle feeding, eating cheerios, yogurt, soda . . . whatever . . . it isn't acceptable. And, for this mom in question to refuse to use the PERFECTLY FINE rooms in BRU (which I have used to change my kid) is ridiculous and what many of us are objecting to.

Posted by: Jen | September 19, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of party, why shouldn't someone be elitist when it comes to picking their President or VP? Why shouldn't we want someone smart, educated, and an able communicator? Running the country is a complicated business, why shouldn't you want someone who is highly educated? Why on earth are people choosing a president because they feel like they can have a beer with them?

Posted by: anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:50 AM

That was almost 25 years ago.
Most people aren't the same today as they were 25 years ago. People change, their attitudes change, their opinions change...(and if none of that happens, *then* i'd be worried).

You sound like my BIL who is still trying to impress people that he went to the ivy league. Like, big deal - that was 25 years ago...have you done anything since then?

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:23 PM

That's bizarre, really. He has said it a zillion times, even if one does not like his choice of church, it is a christian church, for goodness sakes.

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually, yes I have read that Palin is breastfeeding Trig. Which is awesome!

Posted by: lovea | September 19, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"Have you ever even seen a family lounge? The ones in Babies R Us have gliders, changing tables (and diaper pails), coffee tables and usually some kind of reading material. At one of the malls near me, there are separate private rooms with comfy chairs, a sink and a changing table. Toilets are in separate stalls. Where on earth did you get the idea that people are advocating forcing moms to nurse on the toilet?"

I like the family lounges, when they are available. But most places don't have one. I was appalled that Buy Buy Baby does not have one. So when I am over there, I breastfeed where I can find a comfortable spot. They don't seem to have a problem with it. I think there is a law in Maryland that a woman can breastfeed anywhere in public that is is otherwise allowed to be.

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

because it's something that happens when one is, what, 14 or 15 years old? By the time one applies to college, one is 17 or so - and so one has had to have spent the last 2-4 or more years preparing for it - especially if it is ivy league. Yes, it is an important part of someone's resume, but by gum, seriously? These people have 20 or 40 or more years of a resume, where they went to college is hardly the biggest part, or the most important part or something that is impressive or not so many years later.

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not voting for McCain Palin, but I do think it's cool that she's nursing Trig. The question is, should she do it in public?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually I wasn't really meaning "which college(s)" when I meant elitist. But rather, did they go to college? What about graduate school? Have they demonstrated a high degree of intellectual ability? Have they demonstrated, in their life, the ability to apply that intellect to real world problems? But if you look at how certain parties market their candidates, it's the "down home" message that seems to resonate. This country has a real love/hate relationship with anyone viewed as an intellectual.

Posted by: anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

WTF are you people doing talking politics here? Are there not enough political blog choices on this very website? Take it outside, windbags. In any event, none of politicsistas has spouted an original thought today.

Posted by: Go AWAY | September 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Also, and I'm not trying to be funny here, why does anyone think Obama is muslim?"

Because his name rhymes with Osama, silly! Get it now?

We're surrounded by geniuses.

Posted by: We're surrounded by geniuses | September 19, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 12:29 PM

To me, choice of college is but one window on the soul. It tells me something about a candidates intellectual curiosity, ability to set and achieve high goals. It's not a guarantee since anyone wealthy and connected can pull strings to get his loser son into a good school. But it does mean something for the typical candidate.

I am not interested in electing someone whose intellectual curiosity is roughly on a par with my plumber or with our current president.

When the head of the ticket was at the bottom of his class by the Naval Academy, and the other candidate attended 5 lame schools in 6 years in order to obtain a journalism degree in which she exhibited little interest, we have a pretty good idea how important intellectual facility, education, hard work, strategic thinking, earned expertise, and knowledge is for the ticket. Is it the most important thing? Probably not. Does it tell you something important about the ticket? Hell, yeah.

Posted by: kara | September 19, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

president.

Posted by: kara | September 19, 2008 1:02 PM

Wow, way to invoke class warfare. Bravo. So we all know who you're voting for.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Because his stepfather was a Muslim (although not particularly observant) and Obama lived in Indonesia (a Muslim country with little tolerance for other religions) for four years.

(And yes, his name - particularly his middle name, "Hussein" - also confuses people.)

No, Obama is NOT a Muslim; he's a Christian, a faith he picked up from his wife. But given that he's "different" it's easy for people to believe what they want.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

president.

Watch out there. Our current president has an Ivy League degree. Two in fact. You are making generalizations that can have huge exceptions. I am not an advocate for McCain and Palin, but I think their college credentials are the least reason not to vote for them. They both have had long careers that I think are a better reflection of who they are and what they stand for.

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"When the head of the ticket was at the bottom of his class by the Naval Academy,"

2. Unlike certain Ivy League schools (*cough* Harvard) the service academies do NOT practice grade inflation. You'll find no graduation ceremonies where 91% of the class graduates with honors. You graduate with the grades you deserve. Only the top 10% - no more - graduate "with distinction." The unofficial goal of the academies is that the overall GPA of a graduating class is 2.75.

3. The service academies rank every single cadet/midshipman, from top to bottom, in every activity. The order of merit is a weighted average of academic, athletic and military performance. McCain's made it clear that his military performance average was terrible because of his bad attitude, and that dragged his overall order of merit down. Besides which, when you're ranking everybody, SOMEBODY has to finish last - unlike certain Ivy League schools.

4. McCain has also made it clear that during his time at the academy and in his early pilot days he was a self-centered hotshot, more interested in having fun than in performing. He changed; yes from his POW experiences. He grew. People do that - they grow up out of their hot-shot, "me first" youth into mature, responsible adults. Or would you say that being a prankster at 19 disqualifies you from ever holding a job of high responsibility?

Posted by: Ex Scientia Tridens | September 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...

Bunch of folks have gone on about "not messing up the merchandise that's for sale" and "don't prevent other customers from trying out the merchandise."

Now the first accusation has already been addressed - floor samples aren't for sale, they're for trying. Yes, the floor samples get sold at the end of the season - or more accurately, they get dumped at a very steap discount. I've bought floor sample merchandise more than once, and I expect it to have dings, dents, stains, etc. I've checked the stuff out pretty thoroughly before I buy, and I won't buy it if I can't hide the damage, fix it, or live with it. Also, did you know that floor models are usually written off on the seller's taxes as business expense?

Seems to me the lady who was hassled for nursing was trying out the glider she intending to buy...

Why would she want to buy that thing? Most likely, hoping it would be comfortable for holding and nursing her baby at home. Best way to find out is to try it out. Sometimes furniture has the armrests too high, or too low for comfortable nursing. Too low, one could put a pillow or folded towel on top of the armrest to get it to a comfortable height, but too high and there's just no way to make it comfortable.

So, when a sales person approached a customer trying out merchandise for the purpose that they intend to use it after they get it home, and the sales person makes the customer feel unwelcome and uncomfortable, I think the sale isn't going to happen. I'd certainly take my business somewhere else if I'd been in the lady's shoes.

I don't believe there was anything wrong with what the nursing mother did - try out the merchandise she would be buying in the way she planned to use it. Breastmilk doesn't stain, and it doesn't stink like spilled formula either.

I think the sales person needs to learn better customer service skills, or he's going to be driving away potential customers, though.

Posted by: Sue | September 19, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"so the fact that McCain got in is a testament to his intellect."

Actually it's a testament to his daddy's rank of admiral and connections.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

""so the fact that McCain got in is a testament to his intellect."

Actually it's a testament to his daddy's rank of admiral and connections."

Let's try this again, with some facts this time.

At the time John Sidney McCain III entered the United States Naval Academy, his father was a Captain. A senior rank, indeed, but no higher than many others. He most certainly was NOT an Admiral.

Yes, CAPT Jack McCain had connections, but then look at how one gets into any service academy. You get appointed by your Senator or Representative. (There are "qualified others" and the Prep Schools, but the original and still primary path in is Congressional Appointment.) So in one sense NOBODY gets in without "connections."

Posted by: Ex Scientia Tridens | September 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"So in one sense NOBODY gets in without "connections."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Sue, I agree with you 100%. I also wonder why people in a Babies R Us would be appalled. That's like being disgusted when you see dogs at Petsmart. Not that I'm comparing babies to dogs. But nursing is not inappropriate for the occasion, I think.

Posted by: mom of teens | September 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"So in one sense NOBODY gets in without "connections."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:42 PM

Fine if the McCain supporter thinks McCain is intellectually superior, can we talk about how he had an affair with an heiress, and then dumped his wife for the heiress while the wife was sick in the hospital? nice "family values" !!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:46 PM

Can we not? The only way McCain is relevant to this discussion is if he's nursing in public. And I will say, if he nurses in public, I'll totally vote for him. Because who *doesn't* want a president with magical powers?

Posted by: lets get back to boobies ... uh, I mean business | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about his divorce? I am not interested in marrying him for goodness sakes. Are you?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Is that you, Whacky? In any case, I totally agree. If it turns out he nurses in public, I will vote for him too.

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I'm quite sure that's true. But you said it was because of his intellect. He graduated at the bottom of his class at Episcopal H.S. as well.

So I guess the "selective, very rigorous institution" gave him a break, huh? Let's alert all of the EHS kids who are at the bottom of their class that there's still hope. "

You don't get into the United States Naval Academy on intellect alone. It also takes physical ability, skill, leadership and service. I don't believe that I said or implied Sen. McCain got into Canoe U. on his intellect, but I'll apologize if you took it that way. What I meant was that his intellect was sufficient for him to get in and graduate - and that's no mean feat. But it was his intellect, along with his athletic ability, his demonstrated leadership and service that got him in.

Looking at his EHS days, Sen. McCain had a list of other accomplishments, including being an outstanding wrestler, a JV football player, the editor of the school newspaper and yearbook, and was a member of the Drama Club, the Missionary Society and Blackford Literary Society.

So yes, there's hope for EHS boys at the bottom academically if they're there not because of intellectual shortcomings but because they're devoting all of their energy in other directions. Just re-direct, son, re-direct!

Posted by: Ex Scientia Tridens | September 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM

i'm interested in his values and morals. obviously he has absolutely NONE.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Neither did Clinton, but he did just fine as president.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"I don't believe that I said or implied Sen. McCain got into Canoe U. on his intellect"

It's a direct quote actually: "so the fact that McCain got in is a testament to his intellect."

Posted by: Observer | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Having gone through college on my own with no wealthy connections, I can attest that nobody can 'buy' a college education. You have to do the course work and get the grades. Perhaps if you are a Kennedy you can hire someone to sit in for exams and take them for you. Of course, if you are an illiterate basketball or football player then you can get in for free on a scholarship or affirmative action because you can shoot baskets or make touchdowns. However, after graduation you can't read or write or form a complete sentence when you retire at 35. So what do you do with the rest of your life besides snort drugs, date bimbos, make movies, kill your wife?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I went to college, too. And I was a nursing mother some of the time.
Let's get back on topic!
Actually, I'm noticing pretty cool: Nobody is writing in with appalling stories of having been harassed while nursing. My story is from the stone age -- my kids are long out of diapers. Does this mean that other women aren't experiencing this particular unpleasantness?

Posted by: mom of teens | September 19, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM

Fine, lets put aside his family buying his degrees. McCain certainly has plenty of other things to chat about - leaving his hospital bound wife for a rich heiress, being a part of the reason of the savings/loan crises, calling asian people "gooks," etc. he's one hellufa guy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had brought my baby into Babies R Us to do a real test-run of the glider we bought. It was really comfortable to sit in, but not so great for nursing. She had a good idea. I'm so tired of worrying what people think. If my baby is hungry, I'm going to feed him. I work hard everyday to try and not hurt people and their feelings. But, the bottom line is that you can't ever make unreasonable people happy, and life is way to short to keep trying. We all know that breastfeeding is best, and we're about the only country in the world where we still have these ridiculous discussions about "doing it" in public or we spend extra time trying to find the perfect discreet spot. Just do what you need for your babies moms and dads. Simple as that.

Posted by: Good idea | September 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"his family buying his degrees"

He has one degree, and it wasn't "bought" by anyone.

"being a part of the reason of the savings/loan crises,"

Name the other members of the "Keating Five." To which political party did/do they belong?

"calling asian people "gooks,""

Who was the biggest influence in normalizing relations between the US and Vietnam?

"leaving his hospital bound wife for a rich heiress"

You're right; that wasn't his best moment. No defense for it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we're just feedin' em, not makin' em!
It's no big deal.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

So JFK left his wife to have all their children alone while he was with other women. No big surprise there. We all know what John Edwards has done lately and his wife is a cancer patient. We know what Slick Willie did in the White House -- IN THE WHITE HOUSE -- with Secret Service guards at the door. Be careful who you throw mud at -- it will come back to splash on you.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: me | September 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"So JFK left his wife to have all their children alone while he was with other women."

Don't forget that one of those babies was still born and he was out on a yacht with other women.

Really, they are all scum. Apply the rules of morals evenly

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"his family buying his degrees"

He has one degree, and it wasn't "bought" by anyone.

--says who???

"being a part of the reason of the savings/loan crises,"

--- point being? wasnt he involved????

"calling asian people "gooks,""

--- your point? he still calls them gooks! he's a racist!

"leaving his hospital bound wife for a rich heiress"

You're right; that wasn't his best moment. No defense for it.

--- exactly. what else is he going to do? this country cant afford any more "not his best moment's." we've had too many from Bush 1, 2, and we hopefully wont have to have any from Bush 3 (McCain).
Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:17 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:22 PM

McCain/Bush and the rest of the republicans preach family values and how moral they are. not the democrats. dont get me started on Sarah Palin. She's the biggest hypocrite.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

WTF is with all of the political posts?!?!?! Can someone PLEASE delete them from the On Parenting blog???

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

So does that mean you want a candidate to have moral values if that candidate professes to have them? If a candidate professes to be a two timing cheater, that would be fine with you as long as he was honest about it. LOL

Posted by: You're logic stinks!! | September 19, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

When I went to college, we were taught that the personal is the political. But I have to admit all this political stuff is slightly annoying.

Death to the patriarchy!! LOL

Posted by: Emily | September 19, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"so McCain's father was "only" a Captain when McCain got into USNA. But his grandfather was an admiral!! I'm sure that helped."

His grandfather was also dead. And Admiral should be capitalized; it was "Slew" McCain's rank.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Really, folks, haven't we all been through this enough by now to know to leave nursing moms alone? Did any of you suffer the "glare" or kick-out when nursing in public?"

Yes, this happens to me quite often, no matter how discreet I try to be. Whenever I try to nurse from my mom, I get these glares. I think being a 37 year old male also makes people uncomfortable but who knows what goes on with some people.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"And let's remember some more facts. "Slew" McCain graduated third from the bottom of his class, and spent most of his last year in confinement. "Junior" McCain graduated seventh from the bottom of his class. The Naval Academy was probably very skeptical about taking yet another McCain.

(Although the one kid who has pressure is John Sidney McCain IV, who is currently a Midshipman First Class - a Senior. Can you imagine filling out that application?)"

Honor and bravery don't come from a class ranking. Wall street is full of people at the top of thier class. McCain 08'

Posted by: McCain is the real deal | September 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

fr Anonymous 9/19:

>Having gone through college on my own with no wealthy connections, I can attest that nobody can 'buy' a college education. ...

Posted by: Alex | September 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I wish that Sarah Palin would flash us while breastfeeding Trig.

Posted by: Boob-a-Licious | September 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Carm down, fatties.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Um, dubya did the same thing. he was grandfathered in on what's known as a legacy connection, meaning daddy was an alum and granddaddy bush was on the board. He BOUGHT his education, plain and simple."

No, he didn't and his GPA was higher than Kerry's. Something KERRY desperately tried to hide.

Posted by: Uh, no | September 19, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Carm down, fatties.

Carm down ugly, little man.

I am a hot mama.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"1. The United States Naval Academy is and has always been a highly selective, very rigorous institution. Only about 10 percent of the people who apply get in, so the fact that McCain got in is a testament to his intellect."

Not so. Given his family's historical contribution to the US Navy, had he not gotten in it would have been amazing.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Carm down, fatties.

Carm down ugly, little man.

I am a hot mama.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19

Hot mama, I'm sure you're hot, but fatty does not mean you are fat. In this particular part of cyberspaces, it means you are getting all bent out of shape over nothing. Hence the phrase, carm down.

Posted by: A Fatty | September 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Uh, no | September 19, 2008 3:44 PM

We want to talk facts. You want to compare parties.

Let's talk about Dubya. What's your support for the statement that he did NOT buy his education whether plain and simple or not.

The fact is that he didn't earn his way into Yale. He got in as a legacy. His SAT's were 180 points below the average for the class of '64. His grades at Andover have never been released but it is known that he did not once make the Honor Roll in high school, was not a star athlete, had no extra-curricular achievements that would have supported enrollment. What he had was a daddy and grandaddy who were important alums and donated mega-big bucks. Yale's library had a wing named after granddad. You don't get any more connected than that.

This doesn't mean he his a bad president. But arguing the facts by comparing them to other facts and speaking in hyperbole aren't a good way to make a valid argument.

Posted by: molinari | September 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Bush's admission into Harvard Business School wasn't a result of his academic, athletic or other achievements either. University of Texas Law, his home school, rejected his application. He graduated from Yale with a C average. Remember when joked, "To the C students I say, you, too, can be president of the United States"?

You might think GWB is a fine man and an excellent president. Thinking he's smart, though, because he went to Yale and Harvard, though, requires a contortion of the facts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

IQ of 125 makes me think he is smart. Of Course don't let the facts get in ythe way of your rant

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

And no one anywhere has any information about Obama regarding his time at Columbia. Not one iota of information out there...apparently. No senior thesis, no friends, no nothing...odd?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

My SIL barely had the grades for the ivy league. She would not have gotten in had it been only the grades. She was an (almost) olympic class gymnast, so that pushed her over the edge. The ivy league takes people all the time because of all sorts of reasons not related to grades. Sometimes it is connections...and that's not such a bad thing. If your parent and grandparent went there, then perhaps you have the intellect, but haven't applied yourself or have something else to offer them (yes, other than money).
And sometimes it's being a world class competitor in some sport or something.
And sometimes the ivy league is wrong - which is why there are other schools...and CSS's. Remember that swimmer (I think? - or skiier?) from one of the olympics who had been turned down from harvard and yale for not applying right out of high school? Then he won about 4 or so gold medals, and the story came out and they were scrambling to admit him? hmmmm? The ivy league graduates some good graduates and some people who are *gasp* mediocre. It's a crap shoot every day for them...and all colleges. As mentioned one is typically only 17 when one applies.
And from all the studies I have read, no, SAT scores are NOT indicative of how one will do in college....

Posted by: atlmom | September 19, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Fact of American Life: Our Christian heritage has created a nation of people who are intolerant, hateful, ashamed of sex and embarassed by their own bodies. With that said, selfish, self-absorbed mothers have to understand that public breast feeding makes alot of people uncomfortable. The Universe DOES NOT revolve around you and your "poop factory". USE THE MOTHERS" ROOM! Also, your kid's screaming IS NOT cute.

Posted by: SpareTheRod | September 20, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SpareTheRod | September 20, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

It is a known fact that one of JFK's favorite lays was a woman named Mary Meyer. Sister-in-law to Compost chief honcho Ben Bradlee. There was a formal private dinner at the WH on 2/9/62, guests and Jackie dressed to the nines downstairs while JFK was schtupping Meyer upstairs. Jackie, a woman of impeccible taste, knew of JFK's liaisons but kept a stiff upper lip. Obviously kept up a strong front for the public, but with impeccible taste. She was either incredibly stupid or just another gold-digger, with impeccible taste of course.

Bradlees subsequently married Sally Quinn, blonde airhead journalist who couldn't produce a normal healthy child, so Bradlee gave her a job writing the 'spiritual' column for the Compost.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

EXCUSE ME -- a five times college transferee means indecisiviness?!

WOW, how about life happens. You people have never lived a day in her shoes or mine. (I transferred twice, and JUST earned my Bachelor's degree). I had health problems, moving because of my husband's job and then my kids were too little for me not to work or go to school at night.

You people are a bunch of hypocritical, elite, SNOBS!

I at least had the stamina to FINISH, so what if it took me 25 years to do it.

Life and priorities meant something to me.

Posted by: Pennagirl | September 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse