Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

High School Musical 3: Your Reviews?

HSM3: Senior Year sold $42 million worth of tickets during its first three days in theaters, a record for a musical by a large margin. Per usual, adult critics gave the film -- the third in the High School Musical phenomenon and the first to head to the big screen -- mixed reviews.

"The series premieres as a feature film with "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," and the songwriting and choreography are as exciting as ever. Unfortunately, the writing has become so bad that it becomes impossible to keep your head in the game - even as your toes continue to tap to the beat," chimed in San Francisco Chronicle's Peter Hartlaub.

"But unlike that train wreck of miscasting and forced cheer, and despite its own synthetic, overprocessed production values, "High School Musical 3" exudes genuine appeal, thanks to director Kenny Ortega's brilliant choreography and a gifted cast," says The Post's Ann Hornaday.

"For those scoring at home, the third entry in the "High School Musical" series is better than the second but doesn't quite sustain the unvarnished, giddy highs of the first," wrote Mark Olsen in the Los Angeles Times.

But as we all know, the real critics are our kids. So, moms and dads of HSM-loving households, what did your kids have to say about HSM: Senior Year? Which songs stuck out as favorites?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  October 27, 2008; 12:00 PM ET  | Category:  Entertainment
Previous: A Food Plan for Preschoolers | Next: Dr. Sears on Ways We've Changed

Comments

It's the exact same movie as the first two. My kids enjoyed it.

Posted by: dennis5 | October 27, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I heartily thank the almighty that my kids are too old to be part of this craze....their gaydar and such.

The HSM and Saw franchises are on my Must NOT See list.

Posted by: jezebel3 | October 27, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

jezebel3, can you please explain in more detail what you find so objectionable about HSM? I'm not following you here.

Posted by: ls123 | October 27, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I have a surrogate child in my next-door neighbor's 10 year old daughter. She's not completely obsessed, but certainly an avid fan.

She loved the movie - my neighbor informs me that she and her husband were convulsed with laughter throughout the whole movie because of the incredible melodrama that is at the heart of the entire HSM series. Their verdict was it was simply more of the same - catchy little tunes and dance numbers.

My neighbor said all she could think was that the premier of HSM2 was better. Because that was the one where both of our husbands were out of town, so I invited she and her daughter over to watch the premier on our big TV.

We had various hot appetizers for dinner (a big kid favorite), and then the two adults drank an entire bottle of wine in an impromptu HSM drinking game. :D

For those interested in playing at home (because most things apply to first two movies), have a sip of wine...

Whenever they started singing and dancing
Whenever the boss (or a teacher) made them behave
Whenever SharPay appeared in a new outfit
Whenever Ryan appeared with a hat on
Whenever Kelsi appeared with a hat on
Whenever Troy did something not nice
Whenever Gabriella looked sad
Whenever Chad was annoyed with Troy
Whenever Taylor showed attitude
Whenever Zeke talked about cooking/baking
Whenever Jason was a doofus
Whenever Martha started hip-hop style dancing
Whenever Troy's Dad stressed game over anything else
Whenever a catch phrase pops up (i.e. - "Get Your Head in the Game", "We're all In This Together", etc.)

Wine goes quickly at this rate. ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | October 27, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm....SO glad that I'm teaching high school this year. The last three years of elementary...god I hate HSM. Especially the part where my principal decided that the showcase would feature HSM songs for two summers, and then decided that Science was overrated and I should teach HSM songs instead...*twitch*

Posted by: smrtrnu | October 27, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And, jezebel, please explain what, exactly, you have against Saw??

(Joke. The answer is obvious. But this is definitely my favorite series.)

Posted by: Monagatuna | October 27, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

My girls were huge into HSM -- the first one -- and I think I know all the songs by heart simply by virtue of repetition. But time passes quickly for tweens and it is now totally uncool so I'll miss out on HSM3. (A "nyah, nyah" to all the parents with kids still stuck in that phase!)

Posted by: annenh | October 27, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

My son and I enjoyed the movie very much. We laughed and cried (only me on that one). My son is in middle school and was bugging me all weekend to go see it and glad we finally did. It's such a fun movie and should be viewed as such. So what if kids want to be part of this and are all about HSM - they will grow out of it soon enough. Believe me, when they grow older - they will remember the fun experiences they had associated with these movies and remember that you were part of it. That is priceless. As a mom of 3, one out of college and the other still in and my middle school son - you will relish those memories as well.

I can see I don't have too much time left to 'hang' with my son at the movies - he will want to be with his friends. That's ok, supposed to be that way. Guess I have to start taking my grandson to them so I can enjoy the future fun movies! Thanks, Disney!

Posted by: mdmgroup981 | October 27, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

My 7 y.o. loved it as much as she loved the first two upon first screening. Deep down, she just loves the singing and dancing and the costumes. This morning, she told me that her favorite song is whatever they sing when Troy asks Gabriella to the prom.

I was surprised at how much screen time Zac Efron got - Disney knows its stuff - his role has increased in each movie, and I'm sure there's a reason for that.

We all enjoyed seeing it and will certainly be listening to the soundtrack until I can't take it anymore.

I particularly like these three movies b/c they are totally saccharine. My 3 y.o. isn't frightened or plagued by nightmares after watching with her older sibling - unlike just about every other Disney movie. They inspire my kids want to sing and dance and put on shows and I think that's entirely positive.

Posted by: jillcashen | October 27, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

While I think it is terrifc fun for tweens and teens, I am apalled at the number of 5, 6 and 7 year old girls who are consuming this stuff (including Hannah Montana, Zach and Cody etc...) I can't imagine starting my daughter on a diet of the romance and appearances one minute before I have to. It is high school musical, not middle school musical. Little girls have no business watching this stuff. A 7 year old should aspire to be 9, not 15 with make up ,short skirts and boyfriends. No wonder so many girls are overly concerned with and fret about their self image.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | October 27, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Moxiemom1, my kids are 7 and 5 and they love all the HSM movies. They aren't aspiring to be 15, they just like the songs and the characters.

Posted by: dennis5 | October 28, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dennis, if you are down with your 5 and 7 year olds year old singing "right here, right now, all I want is you" as a love song and "I want it all... fortune and fame...." then I suppose that's your prerogative. I just happen to think there is a time and a place for that and 7 is time for Mary Poppins not something that will reinforce to my daughter that she should aspire to be as pretty and famous as she can be so she can fall in love. I have a little more in mind for both of my kids.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | October 28, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"7 is time for Mary Poppins"

Sheesh. If there is ANY time for Mary Poppins, it is age 3. On the other hand, I also hate the hypocrisy of "I have a little more in mind for both of my kids". If what you have in mind is sending a message that parents are out of touch and out of synch with their kids, and that marriage is a cold, cold place, then - by all means - let them have their fill of Mary Poppins. If you want to have real conversations about how beauty is only skin-deep, and what matters is what's on the inside, then Sharpey is a fabulous conversation starter and teaching tool.

You've gone down this condescending path before by criticizing Hanna Montana in a way that indicates you've never watched it. Methinks you should occasionally put your attitude aside for long enough to engage with your kids, those ones for whom you think you have a little more in mind. I hate HSM, by the way. It's a side issue.

Posted by: CindyLouHoo1 | October 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Moxie, I'm quite fine with my kids singing those songs because they have no idea what they mean. As for the lessons in HSM, apparently I've watched the movies through a different filter than you. The messages I get from it are to be true to yourself and pursue your dreams regardless of what other people think, be nice to people who aren't in your social group because the could become good friends, and good triumphs evil (Sharpay always gets her comeuppance, Ryan and Keley get the scholarships, etc.).

Posted by: dennis5 | October 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

How does watching Disney drivel help me to engage with my kids? I'd rather play a game with them, or read with them than sit next to them while they mindlessly consume the products of the Disney machine. Call me condescending if you will - that stuff is garbage and if you let your little girls watch it you are doing them a disservice. That's what I think and I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are yours.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | October 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Dennis, if you are o.k with them singing that because they don't know what it means, then by all means hit them with a little 50 cent or DMX - nothing sweeter than a kid singin about "hos" and "tapping that thing". If people put as much thought into what is going into their children's heads as they do their stomachs, we'd be much better off.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | October 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moxiemom1 | October 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

fr jillcashen:

>While I think it is terrifc fun for tweens and teens, I am apalled at the number of 5, 6 and 7 year old girls who are consuming this stuff (including Hannah Montana, Zach and Cody etc...)

I cannot abide little myley (sp?)cyrus or zach and cody. Neither of the shows have good writing; it's wall-to-wall consumerism and buy me buy me buy me. Had a young girl, there would be no WAY she'd be wearing hannah montana junk. It's trashy, and shows extreme lack of self-respect.

Posted by: Alex511 | October 28, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse