Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Dora the Explorer No More?

The original Dora the Explorer was an adventuresome girl who appealed to kids regardless of gender. She first aired on television in 1999 and is known for loving baseball and her untraditional pet monkey Boots. She's an outdoorsy girl who wears shorts and is always exploring.

The new Dora. (Mattel/Nickelodeon via Business Wire)

This fall, though, Dora won't be the girl many kids have grown to love. She's growing up. And in the Mattel/Nickelodeon world, that means dumping her shorts for what Dora's marketers call "a whole new fashionable look." Though they aren't revealing Dora's new look officially until fall, Mattel and Nickelodeon gave a glimpse in silhouette. She's got longer hair and is wearing a short skirt and pointed shoes. Gone are the shorts, backpack and sneakers of little girl Dora. Instead, girls everywhere will be able to customize their very own Dora doll and "watch as she magically transforms right before their eyes." Changing Dora’s hair length, jewelry, and eye color on screen will change the Dora doll in their hands as well, the companies tout.

It's enough to push moms of girls to try to save their beloved Dora from becoming the next Barbie or Bratz:

"We could have, should have predicted this after we saw the likes of Strawberry Shortcake, Holly Hobby, and Trollz (now with the ubiquitous commodified girl power “z”), all made over in the cute sexy way that marketers sell maturity to girls -- the sassy wink, the long flowing hair, the thin waist, the turned-out hip pose of practiced lingerie models," says a petition against changing Dora that was initiated by authors Lyn Mikel Brown and Sharon Lamb and posted on their blogs. Brown and Lamb are the authors of 'Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketers Schemes.' Brown reports that the petition has about 500 signatures so far.

"Why remake her?" Brown asks in an interview yesterday, noting that Dora's marketers must not know any real girls. "And if you do, why not give girls an alternative" to all the other characters who have aged as sexualized, fashionable things? "We know that if the original Dora grew up, she wouldn't be a fashion icon or a shopaholic," says the petition.

"We have the same thing over and over again," Brown continues. "There are lots of little girl athletes, and climbers, and brainiacs. Dora could be that alternative. Could we not have just one? She’s such a prime candidate for that."

Brown's ideal tween Dora would look like this:

"She would be a girl who continues to be curious about the natural world, she’d be into nature and ecology. She'd still be very physical. Maybe she’d move into teen sports. She'd be a problem solver, a mystery writer. Maybe she’d be into science. There’s a whole world out there that marketers have eclipsed."

If you were responsible for creating a grown-up Dora, what would she be like? How do you feel about Dora's upcoming makeover? How will your kids feel about it?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  March 6, 2009; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Tweens
Previous: Money-Saving Tips for Family Fun | Next: Babies Die and We Judge

Comments

Ok, that just RUINED my morning.
I am incensed. Maybe it's small potatoes compared to the economy, but it's hideous, it's awful, it's against everything Dora has been and I loathe the idea.
Dora merchandise has been getting way too much of our money, and that will definitely stop.
What can I find for a good girl role-model? Diego is cute and moderately educational, but he's a boy. Zoe (Sesame street) is too babyish for my 3 year-old to like. Maggie and the ferocious beast doesn't cut it for us, neither does Max and Ruby. Back to Magic school bus, but we've seen every episode.

Posted by: inBoston | March 6, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

If you're upset about this and want to join the movement to keep Dora from getting a tween makeover, sign the petition! www.ipetitions.com/petition/Dora_Makeover

Posted by: meganinmaine | March 6, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

First Episode - Dora learns to work the pole. Next week - a very special episode - the champagne room!

Thankfully, my daughter still likes Word Girl. Problem is, I think a lot of moms like this and let their kids watch it. If it didn't sell, they wouldn't do it - so there you have it. The rest of us just have to work harder!

Posted by: moxiemom1 | March 6, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

inBoston - try Word Girl on PBS also my kids enjoy Grossology which is indeed gross, but at least there is a scientific bent. 3 is a tough age - what about that girl who lives in the zoo? We used to like that, Discovery Kids was nice back then on TLC I think, Paz and the like. Good luck.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | March 6, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Even the silhouette is awful. Poor Dora. Will they be adding a pimp character too?
Things like this and the Bratz and Barbie make me so glad to have a boy.

Posted by: VaLGaL | March 6, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm really livid. Dora is one of the only girl characters that is not overtly flirty/sexual. She is fun and adventurous! And is a "real" person, unlike Abbey and Zoe, etc. My Daughter really likes Dora, as do I in her current form.
I'm really sad and angry to see that they have succombed to Bratz, etc. phenomenon. Boooo to them.

Posted by: liledjen4901 | March 6, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. Can we please have one girl character -- just one -- who isn't a streetwalker-in-training? What's the sequel: Dora the Ho?

Seriously. Why does every girl character have to be (a) completely fashionable (as if that is sort of an inevitable shift when girls hit 8 or 9), and (b) ridiculously sexualized? I'm with Ms. Brown. A lot of girls don't fit that stereotype; it would be nice if someone marketed a hero for them, one that told them it was ok to be strong and adventurous and not-classically-beautiful. Someone like, well, you know, Dora.

This is a complete failure of imagination.

Posted by: laura33 | March 6, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

But laura, dont' you know that using their sexuality is the easiest and most effective way for women to get things AND the most important thing to have is a super cute boyfriend, everything else is secondary? We can't encourage our girls to be strong and smart, then they might..gasp.. end up alone and without value! They might have to get a job doing math or something really hard like that - it would mean the end of society as we know it!

Posted by: moxiemom1 | March 6, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Totally uncool...My kids are not really that into Dora, but I don't understand why she needs to grow up? The charaters on Sesame Street have never aged, neither has a Mr. Rogers puppet, or any other beloved cartoon caracter I can think of.

It is sad that marketing companies don't expect more from our girls.

Posted by: thosewilsongirls | March 6, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Moxie -- aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh. Kill me now.

I'm just so depressed. Having grown up in the 60s and 70s, I dealt with that kind of crap every day -- you had to wear pink, you had to look cute, you had to cheerlead and be boy crazy, and anything else was bad and weird. And then I got to watch as people pushed back against the stereotypes. And I thought, how cool, we're really moving past this. But ever since Bratz, we seem to be regressing. And now Dora has gone over to the dark side? Man. Actually makes me nostalgic for my own childhood, where girls were just expected to be "cute."

Posted by: laura33 | March 6, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Makes me glad that my 7 and 10 yo girls are not into that.

Posted by: janedoe5 | March 6, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Unless she's home-schooled, Dora won't be the smart little girl everyone loves anymore. With a skirt that short, she'll be sent home from middle school every day. Sorry, Dora - you're being fashioned for failure.

For those with kids too young, yet - if a girl holds her arms at her sides and her shorts or her skirt doesn't reach the ends of the fingers - then it's too short (at least in Fairfax county). I've known several girls to be sent home.

Posted by: GroovisMaximus61 | March 6, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Dora the Explorer Grows Up (Politically Correct Version)

Young Dora is growing into a teenager. She sees many things in the world that could use her help. She joins the Girl Scouts to rebuild it in a more acceptable way. She immediate earns every badge and creates new ones. She spearheads a move to allow boys into the Scouts, 3 join. She single handedly drives the Scout Cookie campaign out of business and replaces it with Scout Tofu and Rice cakes. Bakeries and the refined sugar industry go belly up.

Dora grows physically taller but that is the only measurement that changes on her body. She declares one day that the only shoes a person needs are good hiking boots. Payless and Jimmy Choo declare bankruptcy the same day. Although many teens have the urge to drive, she has the urge to explore. She eschews a driver’s license and GM goes under. Schwinn Bicycle is revived. The cosmetics, cell phone and tattoo industries all fail after Dora comments on her lack of need for any of these.

Dora grows into young adulthood. The press asks her where she obtains the Khaki pants she always wears. She replies that the pants are made from her childhood camping shorts. It takes 3 pair of shorts to make into one pair of pants. Unemployment levels hit new highs in Malaysia, China and Taiwan.

Dora meets a young man while doing scientific research in Antarctica. She makes a systematic appraisal of his characteristics. He admires her hiking boots. They part ways. Later in the Sudan, leading the ecological rebuilding of the country after the arrest of al-Bashir, Dora notices the same young man. Having reviewed his CV for good works during his lifetime, Dora proposes. As a preemptive measure, Bride magazine folds. Dora and her man marry, barefooted, in her Khakis, in front of a compost. The Wedding and Bridal industry fail. The shapewear industry is apoplectic.

Dora and her Ken have a baby, Dora resumes wearing here Khakis the next day. Playtex goes under. Dora, Ken and the baby become the world’s ecology 911 team, racing from one disaster to another, remediating the pollution and restoring nature.

Dora and Ken and the now adult child grow old together in an idyllic pasture. Then that dreadful time comes when Dora can no longer recycle her childhood camping shorts into pants. Dora dies of a broken heart. She is laid to rest in her compost pile. The funeral industry collapses.

Posted by: anonymous_one | March 6, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The TV is evil!

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | March 6, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

We never really connected with Dora--to baby-ish for my 9-year-old. Now Julia Child! That's quality television! Blow-torches in the kitchen? Bring it on!!!

We actually watched a lot of Arthur, and still do on snow days. It's practically a documentary...

Posted by: fphillips | March 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, for pity's sake. People--adults?--are seriously "incensed" over this? First of all, if you're making the case that remaking Dora is somehow allowing your kids to fall victim to marketing, then you're ignoring the fact that they (and you!) have already fallen victim to the marketing of the original sporty Dora. What's the difference?

Second, the "she's fine the way she is, why does she have to grow up"...well, it's a fictional character, but if you're going to treat it like it has some bearing on reality, the answer is BECAUSE CHILDREN GROW UP. So many adults don't seem to realize this and needlessly wring their hands over their precious widdle children scandalously wanting to *gasp* change. Again, fictional character. Not important. Quit projecting.

Third, the idea that a change in this Dora character is somehow going to corrupt your children? Why on earth are you looking to a cartoon/doll/whatever, something NOT REAL, to be a "good role model" for your kids? That's YOUR job.

Posted by: nobody12345 | March 6, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

My 3 YO LOVES Dora (and diego). :( And he's a boy. I'm a little depressed now. But now that I hear all of you, I have a business idea...

Posted by: atlmom1234 | March 6, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

M-O-N-E-Y

Posted by: pwaa | March 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

They shouldn't 'update' Dora at all. Based on what I'm seeing here, I will no longer be getting Dora DVDs or toys for my 5 year old daughter. And my 2 year old will grow up having no idea who 'Dora the Explorer' is.

We had a standing 'Bratz' embargo in our house already and Dora will now join that list.

Congratulations, Nickelodeon. You just ran your brand into the ground. One product or franchise can not be all things to all people and sometimes when you try to make it so, you end up killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Posted by: JacksonLanders | March 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

You know I went to sign the petition and was told I had to "donate" at least $2 in order to sign. Uh, I want to sign the petition, but I'm not paying for the privilege! I tracked down contact e-mails for Mattel and Nick and copied the text of the petition into e-mails I sent directly to the companies, but I'm still a little upset that I was asked to pay to sign a petition!

Posted by: talleyl | March 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

why not make her grow up more like Diego's sister Alicia? she's older and slightly more girly (longer hair, etc), but also pretty tough and khaki-wearing. You get the feeling Alicia is perfectly comfortable both in dresses and 4-wheeling in the Jeep through the jungle.

and where does Boots fit in this "older Dora" picture?

Posted by: Mailimi | March 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Nobody, while I agree with your premise that parents are the primary role model. We don't live in a vacuum and outside forces do have the power to influence our children. All children look to adults other than their parents to emulate, good or bad. What people are responding to is the fact that there seems to be more than a preponderance of images for our girls that reinforce beauty and body image not character and intellect. In fact, more often than not, it seems the two are treated as mutually exclusive pretty=dumb, smart=unattractive. So, while this is America and I support the right to make whatever you want, I am disappointed that there are so few women for my daughter to look up to.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | March 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh good grief!

I agree with other posters who say Word Girl is a great role model for young girls. For a good music role model check out Laughing Pizza. My daughter adores them and identifies with the daughter in the group--a very welcome alternative to other potential role models I could name.

Posted by: jws28 | March 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

What a bummer! My 2 and a half year old son loves Dora, and there is no way I want him to watch a pimpified version. Its not just girls who need good strong female role models, boys need to grow up seeing girls that way, too.

There was no need to have her grow up - most characters don't - and the earlier poster was right. The reason is money.

Posted by: mamabean | March 6, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

talleyl,

There is no fee for signing the petition. They ask for a voluntary donation to keep the site running, but the petition gets signed regardless.

Posted by: observer42 | March 6, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The New and Improved Dora the Explorer, 1st seasonal opener:

Dora the Explorer goes water skiing in her tight, leather miniskirt...

and jumps a shark!

Motorboat, skis and shark sold separately.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | March 6, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

My 4 year old son likes both Dora and Diego, I'm not sure if he is going to like the new Dora. (She's cool now, but once they DOLL her up, I'm sure he'll stick to Diego only).

Posted by: ADmom | March 6, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less about Dora, Barbie, Strawberry shortcake or Diego. I am more perturbed by statements like those from Moxiemom: "I am disappointed that there are so few women for my daughter to look up to."

That is completely assinine, you aren't going to find role models on cartoons and very few in pop culture. Role models don't land in your lap and intorduce themselves, you need to search for them. It's your job to educate your daughter (and/or son) on women who inspire you, heck, let them have a man a role model and really blow their minds. There are thousands of role models throughout history and probably many in your own family, introduce them to your child(ren) and turn the TV off.

Posted by: cheekymonkey | March 6, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Keep Dora as she is! That's what is so great about her and the show. This news is very disappointing. Why push little girls into glitz and pseudo-glamour? Let them be girls and explore the world.
My 6 year old daughter still likes to watch Dora with her 4 year old brother. I don't think they'll like this new version. Dora was more "real" before this make-over. I don't let my daughter have Bratz dolls and her Barbies are the more "conservative" (if that's possible) type. A glammed up Dora just won't fly.

Posted by: ssavage | March 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Updated song:
If there's a place you want to go,
I can get you there - you 'ho'
I'm the pimp.
I'm the pimp, I'm the pimp, I'm the pimp.

If there's a trick you gotta turn,
'Cause a client has a yearn.
I'm the pimp.
I'm the pimp, I'm the pimp, I'm the pimp.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 6, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

OR:

d-d-dora the whora

Posted by: mediajunky | March 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is TV any different than books or newspaper? It's just another form of media.

There are lots of bad print materials out there. Doesn't mean you should condemn all books or all magazines.

Posted by: mediajunky | March 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My daughter isn't particularly into Dora, but I don't really understand the change at all. These little kid characters generally don't age because young kids have such a short time when they are going to be interested in the same tv show or character... kids don't really "grow up" with their childhood icons (imagine a teenage elmo!). I'm not sure who a teenage Dora would appeal to- she's too "old" for the kids she was originally designed for, and the kids she's now aimed at all think Dora is for babies. Seems like a marketing error to me.

Posted by: floof | March 6, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As the Father of an almost 4 year-old who adores Dora I am disappointed beyond measure at this crass and cynical move.

@cheekymonkey
You're missing the point. My wife is a tenured professor, my Mother also has a Phd, and my sister is a lawyer. My little girl has plenty of role models to look up to in real life, but relatively few when it comes to TV and movies.

Posted by: gken69 | March 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, they had to make Dora into what girls are supposed to be: arm candy. I guess she is the one moving to Heff's Playboy Mansion now that the other three left. Dora's next adventure: to become the next "girl next door" . I wonder if she is going to com with diffrent size implants, uhm...?

Posted by: pcca | March 6, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ohio, near Kings Island amusement park where Dora is queen, in part because she's got huge appeal among preschool BOYS. Dora, SpongeBob and Blue are the big characters in the park's kids section, no princesses, no action figures--it's great. I dread the day we get a pimped-out Dora ride...

Unless they plan to make Dora a show for older kids, I think they're making a huge mistake. My 3-year-old son HATES the princess stuff, but he does like Dora and Boots. At least the sweet Dora can live on through DVDs!

Posted by: sjneal | March 6, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm thankful my kids aren't into Dora anymore. They like the Growing Up series on Animal Planet (Growing Up Wolf, Growing Up Polar Bear, Growing Up Sitka Deer, etc.), Word Girl, Super Why, occasionally Toot & Puddle. We just don't let them watch much TV. I really cannot stand the idea, however, of Dora being pimped out. Makes me sick. I hope the new shows completely bomb.

Posted by: WorkingMomX | March 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

My 5 year old Hispanic/Anglo grandson has loved Dora (and Diego) in Spanish and English. The significance of the changes in Dora would be lost on him; he's too young to understand that she is being sexualized. But the skirt alone would take away much of what he loves about her - her ability to go anywhere and do anything, She'd be too worried about her pants showing to climb a tree. (I'm old enough to remember those days before pants were allowed.) This plan is a real shame.

Posted by: jcarzoli | March 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"@cheekymonkey

Posted by: gken69 | March 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse"

So what? Why don't you let your daughter know she need not look to TV and movies for her role models. Sounds like she has enough in her life - why the heck would you look for more on TV?

BTW, Although education is one way to define a role model, I try to stress much more to my children. Acts of kindness and bravery are wonderful traits to point out to a child, like the soldier that serves or the woman that stocks the food pantry. These people are everywhere and there is not need to search TV and movies.

Posted by: cheekymonkey | March 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Dora is the most insipid, boring, PC cartoon out there. If it does well, it's only because the others are worse.

Posted by: pgr88 | March 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

OMG Cheeky monkey - Thanks for the epiphany, I was letting the t.v. raise the children. I will turn it off and we will read the biography of harriet Tubman and Sandra Day O'connor every night. Thank you so much.

Posted by: moxiemom1 | March 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

GAAAAACCCCKKK!!!!!

Why, oh WHY do they have to dumb down every female role model for the preteen set? There is far more to life than being a fashionista twit! Nickelodeon was already banned in our house, but this dumbing down of Dora clinches it!

I am SO glad my kids like the shows on Discovery Channel better. MythBusters, Dirty Jobs, and How It's Made are the biggies in our house. We also have Magic School Bus on DVD and Old School Sesame Street, so that makes up for even Sesame Street being dumbed down these days (while we're at it, what the heck is going on with PBS not showing children's programs during the day anymore? My younger daughter likes Reading Rainbow and Mr. Rogers, and those are now GONE.).

Oh, and GroovisMaximus61, here in Washington County, we have that fingertip rule for skirts and shorts as well. Even if the school system didn't have it, that would still be the rule in our house. It's led to clothing wars more than once, but the battles have been fewer than expected. Fortunately, my older daughter's taste in dresses and clothes has been leaning towards conservative, and I've had no problem looking for items like that at yard sales (although I did have to draw the line when she asked me to make her a dress "just like the Mennonites wear" once!).

Saccharine-laced television shows with no educational content for the younger set, brainless superficial fashionista twits for the older kids...the content of children's television today is enough to make a person want to disconnect the cable and stick to DVDs only. Thank the gods for Discovery Channel and Animal Planet!

Posted by: dragondancer1814 | March 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think all of us want our daughters (and sons!) to see accomplished women as role models. In reality, they are bombarded with images from the tv, movies, and toys even if THEIR parents don't allow them in their home. There seems to be so much sexualization aimed at girls. I couldn't buy my nieces a barbie-type doll because they looked like streetwalkers. My dad buys his 10 and 8 year old granddaughters adult cards because he finds the "kid" cards inappropriate.

Posted by: jk_newhard | March 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

moxiemom1, you made me burst out laughing just now--thank goodness it's after 5:00 p.m. and most people have left for the day. :)

Posted by: lsturt | March 6, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Moxie, Good idea. I'm sure you haven't read for since HS, but there have been lots of role models to point out to your kids since Harriet Tubman. You're about to discover a whole knew world outside of Dora - congrats!

Posted by: cheekymonkey | March 6, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

God.

The very LEAST they could do is make her a little hippie chic.. a long flower print skirt, maybe some bead/ string/ handmade jewelry. There are a lot of ways they could have marketed that & it would certainly have been a more logical step. But, UGH! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

Posted by: soshesays | March 6, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey nobody12345,
We all get that it's a way to stay relevant but they could just change her look without having to make her grow up. Sesame Street has managed to keep Elmo a child while everyone grows up around him. While I'm not a fan of Dora or Diego I still feel it's wrong to do this to her. It's bad enough they have all those DVD's about her saving princesses but I guess it was only a matter of time.

Posted by: spiffyredhair | March 6, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Our Maggie LOVED Dora but thank god, after having read this post, is past it. What the hell are they thinking? And with little Dora gone, who will scream at us?

Posted by: ElaineatLipstickdaily | March 7, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

What's is the big fuss over? So what if Dora has grown up. In this world where everything is about money, why not market to the older crowd of girls who grew up loving Dora. I have three nieces and they all loved Dora (except the oldest only because she was already too old). Not to mention, I have a daugther of my own with plenty Dora the Explorer products. When she get older, if she wants the Tweenage Dora, she will have every piece I can put my hands on. The important thing is I raise my daugther, not society.....

Posted by: beanie27610 | March 8, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Nickelodeon. Heavy sigh.
I live in the UK and we don't get Sesame Street (which I grew up on) and a lot of kids' TV is cr@p, but we do get Dora and my 2 year old girl and 4 year old boy both love her. I love the way she breaks down tasks into 3 parts ("Bridge, lake, play park!") and we find doing that at home makes managing tasks with children that much easier ("pull up pants, wash hands, flush!"). I guess the drill now is "bat eyes, purse lips, toss head!" She shows how much satisfaction is felt when she works hard to accomplish something -- will sneaking the short skirt past the principal be the "we did it -- lo hicimos!" moment now?

Cheekymonkey, I think you're being deliberately obtuse. Of course my daughter will have role models of strong, independent and tough WOMEN in her life (including her mother), but so few of strong, independent and tough GIRLS, and one less with the madeover Dora.

Posted by: mummybunny | March 10, 2009 6:08 AM | Report abuse

You do realise that this is a golden opportunity for someone else, right? Dora has abandoned the "tomboy" mode for "bimbot" mode. This means there's a nice open market space for someone to step in.

Rather than argue with Mattel's investment in failure, ensure another character's success. Elevate a character representative of your will, rather than try and force a corporate entity to conform to your own (admittedly better) viewpoint.

Also, with the bust in the credit markets, these days glam ain't as glamorous as she was. The stars are right for a down-to-earth role model to bust onto the scene.

Posted by: Zonemind | March 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Is it really worth it for them to lose their boy viewers? My nearly 5 son loves Dora but won't anymore. However, if you're looking for better TV girl role models, have you seen Jane from "Jane and the Dragon", that great show out of Canada/New Zealand? It's worth picking up the two dvd's if the series is no longer in syndication. She's a knight in training! She flies on a dragon! Really, it's a very good animated show, done by the WETA workshop people who did the Lord of the Rings movies. My son is a big Jane fan.

Posted by: jdext | March 11, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse