Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

'Safe Haven' Father Has More Babies on the Way

Remember Nebraska father Gary Staton? He invoked the state's safe haven law to abandon 9 kids after his wife died. Nebraska has since changed the law to apply to infants up to 30 days old.

Well, Staton is back in the news this week because ... drum roll, please ... his girlfriend is pregnant, with twins, according to Joanne Manzer, the wife of his children's grandfather.

Staton has said previously that he is not haunted by his decision to abandon his children. “I was 100 percent sure that I couldn't last much longer doing this routine over and over, and I wanted to just walk away from it all,” he told the Omaha World-Herald in March.

Before this pregnancy was announced, Staton told the World-Herald that he didn't want more children:

“If I had a thousand dollars,” he said, “I'd get fixed.”

Should a parent who has abandoned some of his children be allowed to have more?

By Stacey Garfinkle |  July 2, 2009; 1:00 PM ET  | Category:  Newsmakers
Previous: Medical Histories and Family Trees | Next: The Special Education Ruling

Comments

Obviously no he shouldn't be having any more kids, but I don't think we can change laws to prevent this. Given a case a very young man or women, abandons their child in a responsible manner (safe haven), I don't think in most circumstances later on in life they should be prevented from having more children. Just like giving up a child to adoption, shouldn't prevent you from having more children.

This guys is an obvious idiot and the law really can't do much about it. Good luck to his girlfriend. He will probably abandon her and the twins.

Posted by: foamgnome | July 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Should a parent who has abandoned some of his children be allowed to have more?"

Well, "I" wouldn't let him but I have yet to be given that authority. I don't think there is much the government could have done - although we could probably get some volunteers to sit on local committees charged with deciding whether couples would be allowed to procreate.

Good luck to the girlfriend and the twins. We have many children in our communities born into lousy circumstances. Our gut may want to punish the adults (no food stamps for you!) but there are innocent children involved. Still, it's OK to throw shoes at the TV when these stories come on.

Posted by: KS100H | July 2, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

He clearly should not have more children. But in terms of being allowed to have more, what's going to stop him. In this country, anyway, we don't have mandatory sterilization laws.

It always amazes me how incredibly thoughtless, stupid and irresponsible people can be. But what can you do? In a free society, there will always be idiots like Octmom and this Gary guy. It is just a cryin shame that the kids end up paying for their parent's dumb mistakes though.

Happy weekend folks.

Posted by: emily8 | July 2, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

How does one end up being the girlfried of a guy who abandoned NINE kids? How dumb do you have to be to get pregnant by him?
The only ones I feel for here and wish anything like good luck to are the two babies that these two morons have created.

Posted by: VaLGaL | July 2, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

forced sterilization is a bad idea-- but FREE sterilization? You could see that. He said the only thhing that was stopping him from sterilization was $1000. Universal health care starts with getting this guy out of the procreation business. I think EVERYONE can get behind that, right?

Posted by: captiolhillmom | July 2, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Capitalhillmom! That was my thought too. I'm struggling a bit financially right now, but I'd consider sending the guy money for a vasectomy if I could.

But yeah, he and his girlfriend are stooopid! Condoms cost a lot less than a grand, and also cost a lot less than raising one kid, let alone twins.

Posted by: SueMc | July 2, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This guy is definitely one of the poster boys for vasectomy...too bad it can't be made mandatory! If he's so worried about the costs of getting "neutered," I can think of plenty of low-cost ways to do it...maybe something involving a set of bull nippers?

That mental picture aside, I agree with you Capitolhillmom...getting morons like this guy out of the procreation business would do wonders for our country! I don't know who's a bigger goof, him or his girlfriend for taking up with him knowing hie abandoned his other kids!

And people wonder why I refuse to watch the news on TV anymore...ugh.

Posted by: dragondancer1814 | July 2, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

There's more to this case than the understandably short summary above suggests - I think a lot of how it's being portrayed has to do with a newspaper out for revenge after a reporter felt she'd been suckered. See our full take here: http://bit.ly/ZWKHY

Richard Wexler