Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Celebrating the snowfall windfall

It is my genuine hope that all of you are celebrating the snow day today and -- therefore -- have little time for reading blogs. It's not every day that Washington gets socked with a White Christmas-guaranteeing blizzard. So go on, get outside!

Though there is no wrong way to play in the snow, I wanted to leave you with some snow-day related guidance (just in case) as you search for that missing mitten:

Snow Forts: Wikihow has a great guide to building snow forts, relying on those wonderful snowdrifts that are all over the place. For those looking for something more involved, I grew up building forts using a big piece of plywood. You throw the plywood on top of a drift, hollow out the drift under the wood, throwing the snow on top of the board. Voila! Instant ceiling.

Snowmen: I'm a big fan of the classic "Frosty" snowman: a corncob pipe, a button nose and two eyes made out of coal. The corncob pipes can still be had at the drugstore. The coal is a bit trickier to track down.

Snowball fights: I love that this site has a set of rules for snowball fights. (I mean, does any activity need rules less?) Remember, snowballs are the only acceptable form of weapon.

Snowy Day: Once you're in, no matter how old your kids are, you owe it to them to read "The Snowy Day," by Ezra Jack Keats. Pure poetry.

Hot Chocolate: Yes, you can just dump one of those powdered packet into hot water. But -- in honor of this historic storm -- you should make the effort to make the good stuff. Or, if your roads are passable, try your luck at Artfully Chocolate/Kingsbury Confections. I recommend the "Lucy."

When you get in from your adventures in the winter wonderland, let us all know how you celebrated.

By Brian Reid |  December 21, 2009; 7:34 AM ET  | Category:  Relationships
Previous: Playing the name game | Next: The glories of impromptu baking

Comments

Uh, I am very happy to be outside, in my shorts, washing my car.

Don't need anymore snow in my lifetime.

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Uh, I am very happy to be outside, in my shorts, washing my car.

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I gotta get me some of that.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Jez - are you referring to Fred in his shorts or the weather? I think a picture of Fred washing his car might be a nice treat!

Posted by: moxiemom1 | December 21, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Sledding, followed by more sledding, followed by cocoa with as many mini marshmallows that will fit in my mug!

Posted by: ishgebibble | December 21, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moxiemom1 | December 21, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Uh, the weather. I have a feeling Fred is the kid of guy who wears socks with sandals. Sorry, Fred.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Ah, no, mostly barefooted.

But yesteday, I had on my son's Crocs

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we just cover what to do in the snow? Someone please hijack.

Posted by: sunflower571 | December 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Ah, no, mostly barefooted.

But yesteday, I had on my son's Crocs

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Crocs are gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Crocks in Socks? Hmmm, Sounds like a familiar children's book...

OT - DW instructed me to shovel the 3 foot mound the snow plow left in front of our driveway before she gets back from work shortly after noon today. Fun! That's one thing she knows I can do quite well, - shovel the s***, whether I'm blogging or not.

Of course, I could get my kids to do the work, but that would take more effort than if I just went out and did it myself.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | December 21, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we just cover what to do in the snow? Someone please hijack.

Posted by: sunflower571 | December 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

To what? "On Parenting with Preggers Sunflower"?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm jealous of you DC-ers. Here in NC, there's not a flake on the ground.

Posted by: newsahm | December 21, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The snow wasn't sticky enough to make snowmen unfortunately. We ended up just making snow angels, throwing snow at each other and cleaning off cars.

For whatever reason, the kids didn't end up with mittens at our place so we put two pairs of ski socks on them and it worked out fairly decently to keep their hands warm.

Back at work today I am afraid.

Posted by: Billie_R | December 21, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Crocs are gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 9:36

That is why I borrow my son's. I don't own any myself.

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Alas, today's snowfall windfall = working at home while trying to find playdates and such for DD, as I have a huge deadline looming, while hoping that the snow doesn't mess up my business trip tomorrow. :-(

But we had a great weekend; our Saturday had been ridiculously overscheduled, and then by Friday afternoon, everything got cancelled. It was nice to have a legit excuse to just do nothing. Kids had a blast -- playing in the snow, snowball fights, and even a snowman (by Sunday it had melted enough to stick better). And, of course, multiple rounds of hot cocoa. And the in-laws were in town, which the kids really enjoyed, plus it gave me an excuse to basically cook the weekend away. There's something so cozy about sitting at the breakfast table watching the blizzard outside, eating warm, fresh-baked food (sour cream chocolate chip bread, yum).

Oh well, back to the grind now.

Posted by: laura33 | December 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Crocs are gay.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 9:36

That is why I borrow my son's. I don't own any myself.

Posted by: Fred | December 21, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 21, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

No snow here. We had about 7-10 inches of rain on Friday, so I knew y'all were going to get tons of snow. Many I know on the east coast were thinking the weather people were out of their minds...but I figured they were getting the snow with the rain we had (it was basically pouring for almost 24 hours).
But, I wish we had a snow day. The kids are off for winter break anyway, but it would have been fun. They are playing wii while I'm procrastinating getting ready...and I have an interview at noon (by phone) - so I'm just, well, procrastinating. Hopefully we'll get up and out tomorrow :)

Posted by: atlmom1234 | December 21, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

atlmom -- are these the Columbia guys? Whatever happened with that? (sorry if I missed an update over the past few weeks; been traveling a lot) Good luck!

Posted by: laura33 | December 21, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Laura: no, that didn't work out. I had a phone call with a company in Herndon, though. We'll see where that might go. Things are really slow the next two weeks, given lots of people are on vacation, etc.
This call today is with a company near chicago.

Posted by: atlmom1234 | December 21, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Not to rub it in newsahm, but...

The driveway is clear to the street. Oldest daughter did most of the work, I didn't even have to ask. Heh-heh, she wants permission to drive the car, but before I let her, I'm insisting the she do some practice snow driving with me, , to see how well the car handles in a parking lot, maybe I can get her to do a doughnut or 2.

For lunch, it's grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Then my youngest daughter plans on baking cookies. That'll make the house smell real good.

The boys are out back playing with Roxy, our dog. Roxy loves the snow too. It's hilarious, the snow is as tall as Roxy is, but she is great at avoiding snowballs. LOL! Should I make the rule, "no throwing snowballs at the dog"? As long as the boys don't peg the neighbor's dog, I'll let them play on.

The neighbors are starting to come out, 4 and 5 foot snow mounds are starting to show up at the ends of their driveways. We'll visit and get the low-down on road and mall parking lot conditions And wish each other a Merry Christmas, or Happy Holiday, or happy winter, or something cheery-like.

Maybe I'll get a nap in this afternoon.

Chili is on the dinner menu. Perfect!.

Later on this evening, We're going to kick back, play some music, light candles, Play games, maybe finish up on some Christmas stuff.

Tonight, just like last night, nobody in the Whacky household needs to bother to set a morning alarm., school has been canceled until Christmas for the kids, semester is over for the adult child. I got today off - with pay, tomorrow I'll just take another day off. Sweet, huh?

No doubt, this was the perfect snow. I mean, right out of a Hallmark giftcard. For those of you who missed it, I offer my deepest and most sincere sympathies...

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | December 21, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we just cover what to do in the snow? Someone please hijack.

Posted by: sunflower571 | December 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

To what? "On Parenting with Preggers Sunflower"?

Posted by: jezebel3

LOL

Posted by: sunflower571 | December 21, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

We had the same problem with powdery snow too...my older daughter tried to make a snowman in the front yard, but it ended up looking more like Annapolis Rock!

I'm a throwback when it comes to hot cocoa too...none of that packet-in-the-hot-water schlock for us! I make ours the old-fahioned way, with chocolate syrup and milk. Although I don't heat it on the stove the way my mom did; I cheat and nuke it instead! The mini-marshmallows are definitely mandatory though!

"The Snowy Day" has been another snow day tradition ever since my older daughter first learned to walk, so that's been getting read at bedtime. However, the snow up here (18 inches) is too deep for our younger daughter to wander around in, so she's been in the house since Saturday afternoon. It'll melt down to her level in a day or two though, so no worries.

And Whacky, I agree...this was the perfect snowfall! And just in time for Yule, too! A White Christmas has its own degree of fun, but for us a White Yule is even more special! We didn't have school today (believe it or not, my older daughter was actually MAD about that because she absolutely loves school!), but we're still waiting to find out about tomorrow or Wednesday. If those days are out too, then I guess I'd better break out the homeschooling materials, otherwise it's gonna be chaos around here!

Here's wishing everybody a terrific holiday season, whether it be Hanukkah, Yule, Christmas, or any of the other holidays celebrated this month!

Posted by: dragondancer1814 | December 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse