Today's Blogs
    The Checkup:

Farewell

This is my last column at On Parenting. It has been a remarkable run, both in terms of time (I've been at this for nearly 4 years, daily since Stacey left this summer) and in volume (all together, my posts -- here and at On Balance -- are nearly twice the length of "The Great Gatsby.") But the most remarkable stat is the number of comments you have left on my posts: a stunning 15,113. That alone has made my blogging incredibly educational.

The instant feedback has forced me to dissect every parenting triumph and failure. I've seen, in real time, your efforts to join me in brainstorming stubborn parenting issues -- and setting me straight when you think I've screwed something up. On Parenting has gone way beyond a column that happens to be published on the Web. It is a community in the best sense of the word, offering support when frequent commenters have fallen on difficult times and celebrating successes. I'll miss that, terribly. It's been a blast.

Most important, I'd like to take a moment to thank a group of people who have been ever-present on this blog but who haven't had a chance to speak for themselves: my family. My wife and daughters are my muses, and have served up insight, support and suggestions, week after week. They have been exceptionally tolerant, even when I turn the home into a laboratory for whatever new parenting idea I want to try out. They didn't ask that I publish the usually private acts of parenting in this kind of public space, but they have shown exceptional good humor regardless. Thanks again, you three. You mean the world to me.

For those of you who want one last spin through On Parenting, I've pulled a handful of my favorite pieces:

Do boy toys always trump girl toys? Survey says: you bet.

Hitting: is retaliation ever in order? I love the comments here, which suggest that some fisticuffs now and again isn't automatically a bad thing.

The ol' snip-snip: My On Balance piece on my vasectomy generated more e-mail than anything I'd ever written, anywhere.

The five best films to watch with the kids: If I had to do this over again, I'd have to seriously think about adding "Grease," based on the music alone.

Sonic Youth, Miley Cyrus, Charles Barkley and role models: No parenting blog is complete without the occasional anti-Disney rant. This was one of mine.

I don't expect to stop thinking about parenting, or talking about it online. Leaving On Parenting will give me the chance to re-focus on my personal fatherhood blog over at rebeldad.com. While that's been put on the back burner during my time with you, I'll be re-launching it on January 20. Please stop by and visit.

Editor's note:
On Parenting will be on hiatus. Please check our directory for other blogs on washingtonpost.com.

By Brian Reid |  January 4, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Previous: Resolutions for the new year, parenting-style |

Comments

"Leaving On Parenting will give me the chance to re-focus on my personal fatherhood blog over at rebeldad.com. While that's been put on the back burner during my time with you, I'll be re-launching it on January 20. Please stop by and visit."

Will do, Brian. Best wishes for the future.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 4, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Brian. We'll miss you.

Posted by: tomtildrum | January 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Tis a shame, really. Good luck, Brian.

Posted by: cheekymonkey | January 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Brian!

And, I guess, goodbye and good luck everyone who posts here. I will really miss you all. Thanks for the entertainment, both high and low.

Posted by: VaLGaL | January 4, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Brian, you've entertained a pretty tough crowd here ever since Stacey left. Keep up the good fatherhood!

I'm assuming that this is it, no more, poof, - the parenting blog gone, kaput. So for all you parenting folks, goodbye, farewell, it's been fun, but alas, all good things must come to an end, and as such, WhackyWeasel will also disappear into the virtual parenting blogasphere. So as a closing remark to make up for all the senseless, rediculus parenting advice I've posted to this blog in the past few years, I'm just going to say, - Remember to be viligent in your parenting endeavor.

Goodbye.

Posted by: WhackyWeasel | January 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, crappity-do-dah. Now what am I going to do with all this extra time in my day?

Brian, good luck. Everyone else, I'll miss y'all.

Posted by: laura33 | January 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Brian and all you crazy OPers and former OBers. Health and happiness to you all...

Posted by: atb2 | January 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I keep getting caught in the filter!

GL to one and all!

Posted by: atb2 | January 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Brian, thanks for your writing over the years and good luck to you (and to all). Blast it all - what am I going to do during interminable conference calls now? I might just be reduced to actually doing some work!

Posted by: ArmyBrat1 | January 4, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what AB said goes for me too.

Posted by: SueMc | January 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's it. :( Good luck Brian and everyone.
Was hoping to hear all about Sunflower's baby boy when he arrives. Good luck Sunflower!
Happy New Year everyone!

Posted by: firemom35 | January 4, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Brian.

WashPost - this is the 4th blog I've followed that's gone away in the last year. Trend? Or coincidence?

Posted by: jenrellis | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sigh--first OB and now OP. Oh well, I guess I'll have to follow Army Brat's lead and actually do some work. :) It's been fun while it lasted. I still worry about pATRICK and others who are no longer part of our virtual group. At least I got to mourn of the demise of the Creepy Van (TM) and also to celebrate Frieda's great recovery. Billie, you are in my prayers. Good-bye and good luck to all. -- Lynne

Posted by: lsturt | January 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Brian.
Everyone else-- I can't help wondering if some of the negative comments that people have left here have had an influence on the blog being put "on hiatus". I have generally enjoyed reading the posts, but how can you expect someone to continue when he is routinely lambasted? It must be pretty discouraging! There are so many comments saying the topics are idiotic-- if you don't like it, why read it? Well, now you won't have to!! :(

Posted by: liziko | January 4, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Liziko, Brian is a big boy and dare I say, getting criticized is part of his job - he runs a blog! If he let this get him down, maybe he needs a new job.

No one got beat down the way Leslie did, and Stacey got it pretty bad too. Each one of them held up pretty well, and guess what? If they wrote about silly topics or had ridiculous conclusions - they deserved it.

Posted by: cheekymonkey | January 4, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Good luck everyone! You will be missed.

Posted by: ishgebibble | January 4, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate all of the thoughts. You'll have to let me know what blog you guys migrate to so I can keep track of you. For the record, I'd like to suggest "Capitals Insider," since I'm already a regular reader there ...

Posted by: rebeldad | January 4, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rebeldad | January 4, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I've cheated on Brian many times at:

"Capitals Insider", focking sports???

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 5, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

what am I going to do all day? Ack. I have to clean the fridge. And school starts tomorrow.

Posted by: atlmom1234 | January 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I will miss the blog, and the intelligent, thoughtful and humorous posts of many of the regulars. Thank you Brian, and I wish you and your family well in your future endeavors.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with cheekymonkey, though. I don't think that bloggers deserve rude, nasty comments, or thoughtless attacks. For some folks, the anonymity of the online world seems to give them license to unlease their inner rage and be petty and nasty.

I'd like to hear Leslie or Stacey respond to your thought that they 'held up pretty well'. It's called being professional and taking the high road. However, I am sure that the nastiness took its toll.

No surprise that no one seems to have stepped up to take this job on. There have been times when I've thought about submitting a guest blog or opinion, but the name calling and cheap shots made by some has reminded me that it's probably not worth it. What is it about parenting and home life that seems to bring out the bully and need to feel superior in some of us?

Posted by: HuckleberryFriend | January 5, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

This was a blast. I learned so much. I didn't think I was much longer for the blog as my husband and I are going to separate in the near future.

I was tired of always being at the bottom of the food chain and what that entailed in terms of my treatment. Apparently, he was tired of having to be answerable to someone else in the sense that he couldn't go do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it.

No idea what is in my future but I am looking forward to it.

I hope we meet up somewhere else.

Posted by: Billie_R | January 5, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I will...I wish...I'd have to...I don't think...I'd like...I am sure...I've thought

"What is it...that seems to bring out the bully and need to feel superior in some of us?"

To answer: it's a reflexive backlash to percieved sanctimony, hypocritical preaching, ugly self-centeredness, or un-self-aware dopey-ness, read into others' posts...it could be mitigated with some self editing / restraint, but that would make this space really dull.

Posted by: 06902 | January 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

People read blogs that generate dissent and controversy. Those who think Leslie was unhappy with the volume and tenor of the comments are missing the point -- that the reaction marked her as a successful blogger. Silence in the form of 22 comments some days, is the purest form of disdain on the Internet.

Billie, drop a comment on Liz's blog if you really do separate from your husband. If you cup your hand to your ear, you might even hear the subsequent applause up and down the East Coast.

Posted by: anonfornow | January 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Billie, I'll be cheering (yes, on the East Coast) when we do find out you have separated from your husband. It's so sad that it has come to this, but your life is worth so much more than what you're getting from the marriage.

I'll check Liz's blog to see if you sign in over there. God bless. -- Lynne

Posted by: lsturt | January 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Is Liz's blog the DCUrbanMom blog? Perhaps I will log in at some point to give an update. I am not sure how much the kids will be in my life after the separation. We shall have to see how things go.

Posted by: Billie_R | January 5, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I think anonfornow means the Celebritology blog, but if I'm wrong, I hope to be corrected. I'll check the DCUrbanMom blog also. -- Lynne

Posted by: lsturt | January 5, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Anonfornow hit the nail on the head, 17 comments with everyone agreeing does not make a successful blog. Sometimes what seems outright rude spurs great discussion, and NO - I do not condone being a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk.

Huck, You have to take the good with the bad and if you can't hack it in the blogesphere because of a couple a-holes, too bad for you! I seem to recall quite a bit of back and forth with Leslie, she took the hits and kept on going, and when she participated it made the blog all the more interesting. I didn't agree with Leslie most of the time, but she had a good blog. I doubt she or Stacey are holding grudges or losing sleep over the comments they received, sorry.

Brian, I know you're a real tough guy!

Billie, If something happens in the near future post it here. This thread will probably be up for awhile. Good Luck and keep your chin up!

Posted by: cheekymonkey | January 5, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Brian, we'll all miss you! Best of luck in your future endeavors, and may your life be full of laughs and good wishes!

I'm going to miss all of you here...it's been fun posting my comments and responding to others, to say nothing of laughing at the crazy or hilarious remarks that some people posted. I hope this page gets reincarnated here in the near future, but like Whacky, I'm not holding my breath. Some call it being cynical, I call it being realistic.

The best way to sum it up is to listen to the song "Time of Your Life" by Green Day. For some reason, that song, especially the first verse, strikes a chord within me when a good time comes to an end.

Best wishes, everyone! Here's hoping you stay sane, remember the good times, and keep on truckin' when things get tough. Pitch in, muddle through, pip pip, and the whole schmear!

"And now for something completely different...."

Posted by: dragondancer1814 | January 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Will miss hearing about your lives. Good luck everyone!! I feel like we were a little community on here.

Posted by: sunflower571 | January 6, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"The best way to sum it up is to listen to the song "Time of Your Life" by Green Day."

The song's actual title is "Good Riddance" (appropriate)...and I think Billie Joe just threw up on his strat

Posted by: 06902 | January 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Good bye, Brian. Best of luck to you and your family.

Posted by: pwaa | January 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I quit reading this post months ago because there's way too much interpersonal nastiness going back and forth, and far too few interesting posts. If there is an award to be given for the best blogger of the past few years I'd give it to laura33. Always something interesting to say, and always measured and thoughtful disagreement. Snark just gets boring after awhile, and the bad vibes turn out to be somewhat contagious. I'd rather have somebody's joie de vivre rub off on me.
Thanks and good luck Brian, hope you find new writing territories to explore that you are passionately excited about.

Posted by: tiggertime1 | January 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

06902, you choose whatever song you want to use. I just listen to 'em on the radio; I don't have the money to actually go out and buy the CDs! I still say the first verse sums things up well!

And Sunflower, I agree about us being a little community on here! It's like being a part of a parents' club without having to leave the house! And regarding your expected baby, I have one word of advice for you: Enjoy every minute of it! Don't even BLINK, because they grow up so goldarned fast! Best of luck to you with your son!

Posted by: dragondancer1814 | January 7, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Parenting blog Stats, Grand Totals

Since the parenting blog began in February 2007, participants have contributed a grand total of 38,277 comments on 728 seperate topics Averaging approx 53 comments per blog.

The top posters listed below:

30 scarry; 30 Andrea; 30 free bird; 30 lsturt; 30 nall92; 30 sjneal; 30 steve; 32 Cliff; 32 EmeraldEAD; 32 StaceyGarfinkle; 32 stephs98; 32 WDC; 33 olney; 34 Baltimore11; 34 Betty; 34 Chris; 34 cmac; 34 JJ321; 34 Neighbor; 34 single mother by choic; 35 CJB; 35 di; 35 Monagatuna; 36 Tom T.; 37 dotted; 37 Grammar Sheriff; 37 lurker; 38 Amelia; 38 anonymous_one; 38 Jed Clampett; 38 NoVAHockey; 39 Jennifer; 39 JJ; 39 John; 40 di89; 40 James; 41 Fred_and_Frieda; 42 LM in WI; 42 RT; 42 tomtildrum; 42 two terrific boys; 43 Irish girl; 43 jessica; 43 MaryB; 43 MDmom; 43 StrollerMomma; 44 Huh?; 46 HuckleberryFriend; 46 LizaBean; 47 Fo3; 47 Get real; 47 LBH219; 47 m2j5c2; 48 anonthistime; 48 inBoston; 49 anne; 50 NYC; 50 WDC 21113; 51 John L; 51 Lynne; 51 momof3boys; 51 pipe1; 52 Nancy; 53 m; 55 newslinks1; 55 quark2; 58 rebecca; 60 janedoe5; 60 Pt Fed Mof2; 61 Arlington Dad; 61 Cecilia; 61 Father of 4; 61 RoseG; 61 va; 61 Whacky Weasel; 65 StudentMom; 65 thosewilsongirls; 66 ishgebibble; 67 21117; 68 Fred; 68 prarie dog; 68 shdd; 69 HappyDad; 71 Jake; 72 RedBird27; 73 Army Brat; 74 anon; 74 Sarah; 75 MN; 76 KS100H; 82 JHBVA; 86 jen; 87 GroovisMaximus61; 87 Kate; 91 theoriginalmomof2; 93 annenh; 96 Donna; 102 reston, va; 103 captiolhillmom; 104 Billie; 104 Kat; 105 dragondancer1814; 107 anonfornow; 111 Me; 112 Alex; 119 atb2; 121 Alex511; 122 Momof5; 122 Shandra; 124 Ryan; 130 FairlingtonBlade; 137 Bob; 138 DandyLion; 145 Soguns1; 148 Stacey Garfinkle; 149 Emily; 158 quark; 165 floof; 173 VaLGaL; 187 Laura; 188 pwaa; 189 David S; 198 Billie_R; 205 pATRICK; 208 dennis5; 217 interestingidea1234; 224 sue; 226 DCer; 230 ArmyBrat; 236 06902; 244 atb; 256 moxiemom1; 261 emily8; 271 SueMc; 273 Moxiemom; 282 sunflower571; 297 laura33; 336 atlmom; 339 newsahm; 363 Liz D; 402 cheekymonkey; 444 WhackyWeasel; 445 atlmom1234; 452 WorkingMomX; 486 ArmyBrat1; 571 jezebel3; 577 foamgnome; 4710 Anonymous;

Posted by: BlogStats | January 8, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse