What Did You Think When You First Heard?

When you first heard a plane hit Tower One, where were you and did you think it was an accident?

By washingtonpost.com editors |  September 11, 2007; 5:43 PM ET  | Category:  Share Archive
Previous: Helping 9/11 Healing, Illinois Workers Craft Pentagon Memorial Components | Next: Who They Left Behind: Michele M. Heidenberger

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

When I heard about the first plane, my first thought that someone really messed up, thinking it was an accident.

Posted by: Donna | September 13, 2007 1:58 PM

When I saw what happened on 9/11 I told myself that that's the prize the US has to pay for its cynical double standards in the israeli/palestine conflict over the past 40 years middl-east. When Israel was in full and absolute control of the region after the 6 day war in 1967 it should have pushed for peace with the palestinian people who even before had already lost 2/3 of their homeland, by helping financially by means of a mid- east 'Marshall-plan' to create a viable palestine state. It would have worked.
(Remember: Hamas and Hizboullah and even less Al Quaida didn't exist for another 10 to 20 years then and the word islamist/islamism neither ....they are very obviousely the result of the never ending israeli state-terrorism in the occupied territories!).

Instead, Israel started to colonize with tens of thousands of civil(!) settlers and bio US $ the whole of the occupied territories, up to this day in blattant violation of the Geneva convention and countless unanimous UN-resolutions (Saddam greets you) and above all with the blind support of this crime, of this israeli state-terrorism against defence less palestinians by the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!!!
Understand why 9/11 is entirely self inflicted? What else can one expect than ever increasing counter terrorism which is in fact nothing else than absolutely legitimite self defence by the palestinian people and their arab allies.

Therefore, most obviousely, the day an american president with a minimum of lucidity and courage tells Israel to immediately stop and dismantle the criminal settlements, the whole arab world, including OBL, will embrace the USA and there will be peace - Irak will calm down and Iran has no incentive what so ever to build the A-bomb, etc, etc.

So why not try, tomorrow? Would be just and cheap and save iraki and palestinian and american lives.

And to hell with those debile evangelical christians who are an insult to our great religion ... and long live Jimmy Carter.

Posted by: Dr. Tillman | September 13, 2007 7:03 PM

When I first got word of the planes hitting the World Trade Center, I was delivering packages in an office building four blocks from the White House. As I watched smoke billow from the buildings my initial thought was, "That [the fires] looks like something they can put out." I didn't think it was an accident but the severity of the situation escaped me at the time.

It really hit home about two hours later when, as I was riding the Orange Line Metro past the Minn. Ave station, I saw the smoke rising off the Pentagon.

Posted by: M. Sullivan | September 15, 2007 9:54 PM

To all who is still sad about this terrible heartful thing that happen to their families and love ones. Please let go and place all your heart ache in GODS hands. GOD will deal with the devil in do time and not when we want him too. Let these people live there life in Heaven with our father and know that they are in good hands. Love you all.

Posted by: Mustafa | September 18, 2007 1:23 PM

I think it is a cowards way of attcaking our country.
This was a mighty big price if you ask me Dr. Tillman. The US is the helper of the world, so don't say it is a price we have to pay. I love America and nothing sugests to me that we should be treated as we were on 9-11. No one makes the right choices all the time, do they?
I feel we need to support our country, our president, and constantly pray for them.
I am proud of how President Bush has handled this terroist threat. I am glad we have him for our President and I wonder what would have happened if some of the others were in office.
It was a sad day for America that Sept. day, but let me tell everyone that I feel that just like the Hollicost, we should never let the scene die form our minds; that would be just what our enimies would want.

Posted by: Clara | September 25, 2007 6:58 PM

when the plane first hit on september 11th
the first that rush to mind third world i was working when this tragic happen how long its going to last

Posted by: unknown | October 6, 2007 11:24 AM