Who Did You Call?

Share your story. Who was the first person you called on September 11, 2001?

By washingtonpost.com editors |  September 6, 2007; 10:37 AM ET  | Category:  Share Archive
Previous: Where Were You? | Next: About this Project

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

It's hard to remember, because I was trying to call so many people. I was at my office in New Jersey, but it was much earlier in Texas and California, where many of my loved ones lived (and live). I couldn't get through to my parents in San Antonio, but I could reach the office of a friend in L.A., and left her a message to call them for me.

I suppose the first person I was able to reach directly by phone must have been my boyfriend, who was just starting his early shift at work in L.A. Then I called my brother in Beaumont, Texas, and was on the phone with him when my parents called his cell to see if he'd heard from me. (My friend's company shut down for that day, so she didn't get my message until 9/12, and therefore had not called them.) Also while I was on the phone with him, the second tower fell. My office didn't seem to have any TVs or radios available, and Internet access was nonexistent due to high traffic, so the news I got from him was more immediate than anything my co-workers knew.

Our offices closed at noon, and there were a lot more phone calls, both inbound and outbound, once I was home.

Posted by: Kate | September 11, 2007 1:37 PM

The first persons I called were my daughters. They weren't anywhere near the Pentagon or New York but here in Maryland. I just wanted to hear their voices. I woke one daughter up and the other one was in a early college class. Just needed to hear them say hello.

Posted by: Teri | September 11, 2007 4:13 PM

I called my mother on that day and let her knew I was OK because I worked in the Pentagon. I was divorced for about 7 years. 9/11 made me think more deeply about my life. 2 months later, I called a woman I met once 10 months ago and I told her I like to meet again. 3 months later, we were engaged; 4 months later, we were married.

Posted by: Peter | September 11, 2007 6:46 PM

Both my children were away in college, one in Maryland and one in Minnesota. But while we were standing outside because we heard the impact at the Penatgon my son called upset and wanting me to leave the Washington area. I told him I would be ok. That Sat. I received a message about Janice Scott from our Jack and Jill Group. When I arrived in church Sunday there was a big picture of Ada Mason. Not one but two people I know gone.

Posted by: Michele | September 12, 2007 3:16 PM

I had spoken to my mother-in-law after arriving at school at 8:45. She told me about the World Trade Center being bombed, and that was only after one plane had hit. I went to teach a class, then called my husband. I spoke to my mother-in-law later in the day; if I could do it all over again, I would have called my daughter's school just to reassure her.

It was only later that I realized I had been underneath the Trade Center, in the subway, only 45 minutes before the first plane hit. That thought chills me to this day.

Posted by: Patricia | September 12, 2007 10:35 PM

I called home (Seattle) because I knew that my family would be in a panic. I had been in Washington for less than a year and my brother was in New York. I spoke to my mother first and reassured her that I was okay. I then spoke to my father who told me that my brother had already called. I was sitting in front of the TV talking to him as I watched one of the towers fall. Where you were, who you were with, what you felt, it is something that you cannot forget.

Posted by: Juan | September 13, 2007 8:12 AM

I was on the Mall interning at the Smithsonian Castle when we heard the news. I had only been in DC for 2 weeks and an intern for 1 week. I was living in apartments in Rosslyn. Most of the staff was dismissed, but as public information staff, we had to stay to help all of the Smithsonian venues close down. I tried to call my mother in Philadelphia at least 10 times before my call went through. She was scared and emotional, but relieved that I was ok. I didn't realize how close my apartmenet was to the Pentagon until I got off the metro a few hours later and there was still smoke in the air.

Posted by: Jessica | September 13, 2007 11:47 AM

I live in GA but the first person I called was my Uncle Pete in NJ because I knew my cousin was headed to work at the towers. No one was home so I left a message and started working my computer, sending emails to everyone in the family. Miraculously, my cousin's wife was in her office building in midtown Manhattan watching what was going on and he called her just as the cell towers were starting to loose calls, so we knew he was okay. He had missed the ferry to work, thank God.
Next was my cousin who worked at the Pentagon...she called her mom in DE as soon as it happened and my aunt quickly let us all know, via email, she was alright.
I called my best friend (a native NYer) next and he and I stayed on the phone and computer for hours, talking. We watched the towers fall together and cried and prayed.
When we got off the phone, I called both my sons, one was in the field during his Infantry Officers Basic Camp at Ft. Benning. The other was in college at the U. of Georgia. I left messages for both of them. My daughter was at school. When she got home we sat on the couch and watched tv. I talked to all my brothers and sisters that day, I have seven of them. I talked to many of my cousins and aunts and uncles. And I spoke to my parents, of course. I saved all the emails from that day.

Posted by: Patty | September 13, 2007 5:22 PM

I have gratitude for the amrican people and for America, because when I was born, my mother had not milk to give me and ameri
cans soldiers (americans troops) give for me
during two years, box with "Indiana" powder
milk. I grow up, and now I have 62 years old, and I never shoud forget this fact. So, I'm feel smited when I saw the attacks.
God Bless America. Thanks a lot. I dont know if you can understand me, because my
english is very poor. But I can't die witout say something good for the all the a
merican people. So, Thanks, thanks and thanks.

Posted by: dasilva, yvan | September 16, 2007 4:35 PM

I was at Houston,Tx working for FEMA at the time when it happened. As soon as I heard I tried to call my Father, who works at the pentagon, and my uncle who is a contractor that goes to the pentagon occasionally. I could not get through at all to them so I called my mother and grandmother. I got a hold of my grandmother and she told me they were both fine. My dad usually gets in to work really early in the morning, but this day he was stuck in traffic when it happened. He lost several of his friends. When he finally got to the pentagon he was helping direct traffic and telling people where to go. Since I worked for FEMA I was on the first flight back home.

Posted by: Vergil | September 17, 2007 9:52 AM

The answer to this question for all who replied, should have been GOD. That's it..

Posted by: Mustafa | September 18, 2007 1:26 PM

I woke up early morning on the West Coast to the news a plane had hit the first tower. I was watching live TV as the plane hit the second. When the report came it that the Pentagon was hit, then I jumped to call my brother, who was in the Army stationed in Germany. I asked him did they know what was happening here - he said yeah they were seeing it, and he couldn't talk because they were being put on alert, or something to that effect.

Posted by: LB | September 19, 2007 12:25 AM

As I walked into work in downtown Washington, DC, one of the lawyers I worked with had a small tv on and was watching the coverage of the events in NYC. As we were watching, the second plane hit the Twin Towers. We continued to watch the coverage and then heard that the Pentagon had been attacked. I immediately tried to get in touch with my brother, who sometimes worked at the Pentagon. I finally talked to him (he was actually in Germantown, MD that day), and then tried to call my mother in Upstate NY. She had not had the radio on all morning and knew nothing of what was going on. I told her my brother and I were alright, and that I would be leaving the office soon. Before I left, a group of employees and I went to the roof of our building, and we could see the smoke above the Pentagon, and soon, Air Force jets above Washington, DC.

Posted by: deeco | September 24, 2007 11:58 AM

I called my dad.

He had a meeting in the Pentagon that morning with some people he used to serve with in the Navy.

To this day its the only meeting he has ever been late for. I couldnt be more thankful for that.

Posted by: Jacquie | October 4, 2007 12:26 PM

I called my husband and woke him up, as I had left early to commute to Seattle. At first, I thought the newscast was a hoax, a prank, like the War of the Worlds radio announcement from the 50s. Then I heard the newscasters horror as another plane struck the WTC. I told my husband he might want to turn on the TV as it sounds like someone is attacking the WTC. He woke up our teenagers and turned on the TV and watched the buildings come down with our sons. I had not watched any TV footage of 9/11 until this year. Just didn't want to see the images, until recently. I want peace, but not at any price! Terrorism, the killing of innocent people, is a global issue. I just want the US to work with other countries to stop war, find peaceful solutions and provide a safe, healthy planet for future generations.

Posted by: Sandy | October 5, 2007 3:04 PM

I live in Melbourne Australia. We saw on the late news that a plane had flown into the Trade Centre. While we were watching the news we saw the second plane crash into the other tower. What seemed to be a terrible accident now shocked us all. Then as we watched, the towers began to fall. We were all crying for those who were losing their lives before our very eyes and for the brave rescuers who were there to help. It was the early hours of the morning here and I rang my sister as we were in fear that this would be the beginning of World War 3.

Posted by: Suzanne | October 5, 2007 9:14 PM

I was a senior on high school, and I called my Dad from an available telephone. He had been talking with someone else and hadn't heard anything, but told me "Son, we are at war." Not words I ever expected to hear.

Posted by: David | October 6, 2007 11:17 AM

The first person I called was our friend and neighbor Bob Ploger. He and his wife Zandra had left that morning out of Dulles to begin their honeymoon. I wanted to catch him on his cell to confirm that they were OK. When I couldn't reach him, I was only slightly concerned because I was certain that their flight had left early enough that they probably wouldn't be involved in the attacks.
My partner and I had spoken to them both the night before so that they could tell us where to find their itinerary in the event someone needed to reach them in Hawaii.

This was a second marriage for them both and between them they had four grown children.

Zandra's daughters started to call me at my office shortly after the Pentagon was struck inquiring about which airline their mother and Bob had chosen to fly that day.
Her daughters begged me to go to their Mom and Bob's house to find the itinerary and confirm that their mom and step-dad were safe.
When I couldn't get out of Arlington due to the traffic,I chose to call another neighbor who had an extra key to Bob and Zandra's house. I asked her to go into their house, go up to the home office and find the itinerary then call me with their flight information.

Our neighbor called 5 minutes later and confirmed our worst fears...American Airlines flight 77. You can only imagine what the rest of that horrible, tragic day was like.

We all held out hope that they were OK. We prayed that rush hour traffic had prevented them from boarding the flight. The FBI confirmed flight 77's manifest at 9:00 that night.

Our only solice has been that Bob and Zandra were together when they perished.

Posted by: Kate Giroux | April 30, 2008 12:45 PM

The first person I called was my Sister and Mum and Dad to let them know we were okay. We'd been in Boston and heading to New York but hadn't given our parents full details on the when and where. For this reason we knew they would be frantic but we weren't able to get a call through for what felt like weeks but was only days but I know that "not knowing" scared them so much. It's easy to say now we were safe but at the time all they knew was we were going to the World Trade Center that week and I'd even bought postcards at JFK of the WTC and was so excited to get to go up it. I never did and maybe that's a good thing but I'll always regret that I didn't. That phonecall home however was a lifesaver as everyone at home was in a state of shock at what happened and having us in New York didn't help.

Posted by: DeniseinDC | September 7, 2008 2:35 PM

My sister, who worked in mid-town Manhattan at the time. I left the boring meeting I was in and did not return. Had to comfort my colleague whose navy fiancee got recalled that day. Also had to start driving since there were no flights.

Posted by: metak8 | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM

I was chatting online with my best friend who sometimes works in an office at the Pentagon. I saw the news about New York and sent him a message... with no return. Then I heard that the Pentagon was hit. No one heard from him until late that night. He had stayed at his office and volunteered to answer the thousands of calls coming in. He didn't even think to let someone know he was ok.

Posted by: MikeH | September 9, 2008 9:23 AM

I tried to call my mother but couldn't get through to her because all the lines were tied up. She said she was trying to call me to see if I was ok because she'd heard that government buildings were hit and I was stationed on Ft. Meade at the time. I was driving to work and trying to call her. I was working the swing shift at the time and was actually sleeping at the time the Pentagon was hit. I figured something weird was going on because my apartment was undergoing construction and the noise from their drills stopped at around 9 AM and never started back again and I thought it was weird of them to take such a long lunch break. My supervisor was also trying to get in touch with me because he knew that I lived in Northern Virginia and he'd heard that the Pentagon was bombed so he wanted to know if I was alright.

Posted by: anonymous | September 10, 2008 2:07 AM

I called my friend Susan. I could not get a connection though. It took a long time to get through. That scared me. I was very concerned about her and a woman that I was cared deeply for. Then I started dialing people who were professionally close to me in federal agencies. It was reassuring to just to hear their voices.

Posted by: Hal | September 10, 2008 8:55 AM

I called my husband when I heard a radio report that the first plane hit... I was in Manhattan in my office and he was in his office on the other side of the Hudson. As a former Navy pilot, he surmised that the pilot of the "small plane" (as first reported) must have had a health emergency because it was just too easy to divert and miss the Towers... I went in search of a television and he went back to whatever he was doing... We didn't speak again until later in the morning as fighter jets roared overhead and he asked, "Are they ours?"

Posted by: Carla | September 10, 2008 11:50 AM

I was home that day, packing for a move to another house we just bought and had the tv on as background noise. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The next day at work, I sent a message to Julian Cooper, a gentleman I'd worked with at the Pentagon a year before, just to say that I was thinking about him and hoping that he and those around him were all okay. Ten minutes later, our agency sent out a confirmed list of those who had perished in the crash----tragically, Julian's name was on that list. The same list also had another previous acquaintance on the list that I hadn't realized had been assigned to the Pentagon.

Posted by: Teri | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM

I was at work in downtown DC. A friend called and said that the World Trade Building had been hit by a plane.. I assumed a small single engine plane.

I went to the conference room where people were gathered just as the 2nd plane hit the other tower, then the news flashed to the scene at the Pentagon. We went to the roof where you could see the smoke rising out of Arlington.

I grabbed my cell phone and tried to call my friend at the Pentagon, Lt. Col. Karen J. Wagner. All lines were busy. I then went downstairs to try from a land line, more of the same. I finally got through to her home phone and left word to call me ASAP.

We were like siblings, therefore after three days and no return call, I could only fear the worst.

This was unfortunately confirmed for me when I called again, 5 days out and the phone was answered by a voice I did not recognize. This voice confirmed what I felt but did not want to hear.

We miss you Lt. Col. Wag

Posted by: Paul V. | September 10, 2008 12:29 PM

I was at work in Jacksonville, Florida, when a colleague came in to say her husband had called to say that a plane had hit one tower of the World Trade Center. We all gathered in our boss' office around the TV and saw the second plane hit, and then the towers fall. My husband was working in Tallahassee, the state capitol, and I called and begged him to come home. President Bush's brother, Jeb, was governor of Florida at the time, and I feared that family members of the president might also be targeted. Ironically, now we both work in DC and board the subway every day at the station underneath the Pentagon; we've watched the memorial being built over the last several years, and the reality of 9/11 is with us every day.

Posted by: Volnole | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM

It took a while to get my call through. It was to my "Boy" who was on duty at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Just had to hear that he, the other Sentinels and the Unknowns were okay.

Posted by: TGM | September 10, 2008 1:20 PM

First text actually.

From Manhattan, we couldn't call out on our cellphones because of overwhlemed networks. However, text messaging was mostly operational. Some friends texted me, which is how I found out that the SMS system still worked. I told them to spread the word that I was OK and found a land line to call my parents. By night's end Verizon had set up pay phone booths all over Harlem (still over a cellular network) and provided free 5 minute calls to anywhere for any and everyone.

Posted by: Tim | September 10, 2008 2:21 PM

I lived in Dupont Circle at the time. I had arrived at 8am at a temp agency to assure getting work and I remember noting as I walked down the street how spectacularly gorgeous is was that day. At around 8:50 or so the receptionis told us what was happening and it dawned on me that not only was I not going to get work that day but I needed to get home...now. As I walked home, I called a friend of mine who was crying when she answered. When I called her again a few minutes later the lines didn't work.
I arrived home, looked out my 7th floor bedroom window and could see the smoke from the Pentagon. I spent the next 8 hours in front of the television alone. Around 4pm I drove to my brother's home in Gaithersbug, MD. The most striking thing for me was the silence and almost total lack of life or movement on Connecticut Avenue as I drove north.

Posted by: Mary Ann R. | September 10, 2008 2:54 PM

I called my fiance (now husband), also a federal law enforcement officer who was in firearms training that day. It took me nearly three hours to get through to him. He responded to the Pentagon, I got there later that night on the midnight shift. That began over two weeks of us not seeing each other, literally passing in the night. We were married early October and not a single one of our friends from work could attend because no one at our agency was being granted leave. In fact, we almost were not allowed to take the time off to get married. Our wedding was definitely overshadowed by the numbness and anger we were all feeling. The events of 9/11 are more vivid to me than any other from my life.

Posted by: Mrsfnulnu | September 10, 2008 3:02 PM

I tried calling my daughter who worked in Arlington on her office phone and then her cell phone. No answer. Then I tried calling my office at 10th and Pennsylvania in DC. No answer. I called over and over and the lines were busy.

We had just returned the day before from the Outer Banks. My dog woke me up so I could let her out. I heard on the kitchen radio about the crash at the Pentagon so I turned on the television and watched all the horrible events both in NYC and the Pentagon. It had finally happened - we had been attacked.

Several hours later my daughter called me and she was alrigh, she had been stuck in traffic.

To get to work in DC I drove by the Pentagon and it always brought tears to my eyes remembering all who had lost their lives. The day the workmen put the large American flag over the hole in the Pentagon I drove to work crying. Sad,sad.

Posted by: Sarah | September 10, 2008 4:13 PM

I am a Reserve Officer, assigned to the Pentagon but was at the Reagan Bldg that morning at my civilian job. When I saw the second plane hit the WTC, I said "My God, we are under attack." I picked up the phone on my boss' desk and called my wife's school. I told her I was fine, and would meet my wife at home. Then the phone went dead.

In my office, it was a sea change -- people were suddenly frightened and leaving the building. I chose to stay. These killers were not driving me from my post.

Posted by: Winterdog | September 11, 2008 7:21 AM

My fiance called me. I'll never forget, I was sitting in my living room putting the finishing touches on our wedding invitations. I had planned to go to my fiance's office and have a lunch date with him that day. He called at just after 9am and told me, in such an eery way, that he didn't think I should come anywhere near his office that day (he worked in Tyson's Corner). I asked why and he said "Turn on CNN". It was like time stopped.

Posted by: Ashleigh | September 11, 2008 8:11 AM

I worked at a high school in Germantown Md. that day. We turned on the tv in our office and watched in horror. Students began to come to the guidance office to try to call their parents, many who were traveling for work, most of the parents began arriving to pick up their kids to take them home. Because cell phones weren't working students and staff were texting their family & friends. I called my husband, my children, my mother and sister. When I arrived home I remember the fighter jets that kept flying over our house since we were near DC. I'll never forget that day.

Posted by: Beverly | September 11, 2008 10:16 AM

I called a dear family friend who had recently moved into the new wedge where the airplane hit. When I finally caught up with her, she related that, after the plane hit the building, she opened her bosses office door, only to find no office on the other side, only a wall of flame. Fortunately, her boss was on travel. My friend evacuated the Pentagon by the old heliport entrance.

Posted by: Bill | September 11, 2008 11:19 AM

I called my mom in Philadelphia. I wanted to tell her that I loved her.

Posted by: Lynn | September 11, 2008 11:40 AM

I was watching the horrible events unfold on TV when I suddenly remembered that my nephew was working at JP Morgan on Wall Street. I frantically called my sister-in-law in Virginia to see if he was safe. She assured me he had evacuated the area by walking toward uptown. We were sapred what many were not. My prayers continue for those families. His most vivid recollection was all of the papers raining down everywhere.

Posted by: Kalamere | September 11, 2008 12:54 PM

I called my dad who worked in the Pentagon. He took an unscheduled day off that morning. He had a meeting that he missed in the section that got hit that morning. If he had gone to work, he'd be dead now. Our family will never forget what happened that day and I hope the rest of our citizens won't either.

Posted by: CK | September 11, 2008 1:33 PM

I waited for a phone call from my husband, Donald Behe, Jr. As a member of the Emergency Response Team, Pentagon Police, his team was securing the heliport for Pres. Bush's return from FL. when the planes hit NY
After the plane hit the Pentagon he went into the bldg, near the crash site. Later he borrowed someone's cell and called to tell me he had been inside the building crash site, was outside the bldg, and was going back in. He was awarded the Medal for Valor for his actions but never received and invitation to the opening of this memorial.

Posted by: MaryAlice Behe | September 11, 2008 4:17 PM

I didn't call anyone for a long time. My husband is an American Airlines pilot based in DC and he left for work early that morning. I was working in my sewing room when the first neighbor called and simply told me to turn on the TV. As I watched the second plane fly into the trade center the phone started ringing and never stopped. Friends and family were very concerned about my husband, wanting to know where he was. All I could tell them was that he had gone to work and I was sure he was fine. I was thankful for the concern but since I didn't know anything more than they did, I left the house to get gas and cash to avoid having the same conversation over and over. While I was out my husband called from a pay phone in the National Airport parking lot to let me know he was alright. (he did not and does not carry a cell phone)His words were "I am at the airport and we are not having a very good day. Hopefully, I'll be home by dinner." He was scheduled to fly to NYC that morning but all NY flights had been delayed. He was holding on the taxi way at National waiting for clearance to take off. Word was just starting to get out and one of the crew members got a call telling them about the Twin Towers and the missing 2 planes. The company messaged him to return to the gate. Then the third plane hit the Pentagon. He could see black smoke and debris falling from the sky and could smell the burning jet fuel. At the gate they were told to evacuate the airport immediately. It was empty and it was then he learned that the 3rd flight had hit the Pentagon. He made sure his flight crew was taken care of and had places to stay and headed home. It was a bad day.

Posted by: Kathy | September 11, 2008 4:43 PM

I called my Mom then proceeded to sit in my living room for 8 hours glued to the television. I was living in Kansas City at the time and I had to keep reminding myself this was not a movie nor a video game. Having now had the honor to actually work on the Pentagon Memorial I am forever changed.

Posted by: W. Scotte | September 11, 2008 5:53 PM

I frantically tried to call my friends Susan and David. David worked in Tower II of the WTC. I couldn't reach them. I kept trying and finally at 5:30pm I reached David at home. All I could do was cry for several minutes after I heard his voice. He had escaped just in time and ran for his life. I witnessed their wedding only a few years earlier in San Francisco. Susan was in Crystal City at a medical conference on 9/11.

Posted by: Joseph T | September 11, 2008 10:08 PM

The first person I called was a good friend of mine that worked in the Pentagon. I never reached her and didn't find out until days later that she was indeed ok. I left work to pick up my son from school. From where I worked we could see the smoke from the Pentagon. Once I made it home I felt safe and just watched the television in disbelief as to what had just happened to our Country.

Posted by: Mrs. Browne | September 12, 2008 4:14 PM

The first person who called me was my boyfriend, John, who must have called just around the time the plane hit. He sounded very serious, and sad, and said firmly and yet kindly that he hoped I was reporting on what was happening at the Pentagon. He sounded like he was going to cry.

I had just seen the smoke and run upstairs to get my notebook. The first call that I made was to the news organization where I worked at the time. Then I got busy interviewing evacuees, and eventually, folks at the old Arlington Hospital.

Posted by: Kathleen | September 14, 2008 8:47 AM

I immediately called my friend and former co-worker at Port Authority of NY & NJ which is at the WTC Tower 1. The lines were busy. I tried her mobile but she didn't pick up. I had no other means of contact other than her cell and her office email. I tried to look for her new home address since she moved. So I had to write her a letter just to find out how she was. I got a response a few days later & was so relieved. She lost all her stuff in the building and she had to walk from downtown to uptown (72nd St) to go home. I was so glad that she made it. She told me that while taking the flight of stairs from the 71st floor to ground floor took hours - and the minutes mattered - had she stopped for a few minutes, she may not have made it out.

Posted by: Ruth | September 14, 2008 10:48 AM

I tried to get a hold of my husband, who actually was in a safe place, travelling with the Secretary of State out of the country at the time, I just had to hear his voice, then I immediately located my children in the area to calm them. I still cannot see pictures of that day, I finally looked at the Flight 93 story and still was speechless, such a day that noone will forget

Posted by: Dawn D. Maryland | September 16, 2008 7:30 AM

The first person I called was my mother on Long Island to let her know that I was OK and what was happening in DC. I was a junior at The George Washington University on 9/11 and the memories from that day are still so vivid.

I remember I had a class that began at 9:30 am and naturally I was still asleep at 8:45 am when the first plane hit. My dorm room phone rang and it was my father. I'd never heard him sound like he did that day. He works in lower Manhattan in a building directly on top of the Holland Tunnel, so he had a perfect view of the towers. He called me and was yelling into the phone that a plane had just hit the tower and he couldn't believe it. And then as we continued to talk and he described the scene that he saw as he was looking out his window he got really quiet and said that another plane just flew into the second tower and that's when he said "I think we're under attack."

Thank god he was able to make it out of Manhattan that night after walking the dozens of blocks towards Mid-town with everyone else running away from the scene. I'll never forget that day and all of the heroes who worked so hard to save as many lives as possible. God bless those who perished and their families.

Posted by: Steve | September 16, 2008 4:24 PM

no one. i was having morning coffee right before he went to work, watching the news. i said, oh GOD, hon, a plane just hit the tower. they were showing a live feed and the second plane hit.

i remember thinking when they first showed the result of the first tower being hit, i thought terrorism, they really didn't know on the news, then the second hit.

they were talking about the plane in PA, and the Pentagon. when they talked about the Pentagon, i thought please God, don't let my son be there today.

cleveland was strangely quiet that day, and my husband stayed home. we watched the news all day, my son finally called, he stayed on base that day.

my heart broke for those who lost family members, and for the pets who waiting in vain for their owners to come home, some who whould never return.

i was amazed at the abiltiy of the US to band together, and work as a team. i was in awe at the US flags flown on houses, and the military flags, the "united we stand" attitude. too bad that seemed to be short lived.

Posted by: fufs | September 29, 2008 10:51 AM

I called by wife that was watching already the news via CNN. I was stationed onboard the USS ELROD FFG-55. The entire ship was in General Quarters. It look like a Hollywood war movie. We were expecting to get attack at any minute. I was the Senior Medical Rep onboard. I was told my junior corpsman to stay calm but alert.
Back at my home my parents, children and wife were crying. Seven days later we left port with the USS ROSEVELT Carrier Strike Group to attack Osama bin Laden. It was incredible...few days later they send us an American Flag that was flown at the World Trade Center. OLD GLORY was flown in every ship of that joined the Roosevelt Strike Group. God Bless America.

Posted by: docsalicrup | July 14, 2009 4:14 PM

I was in school at the time, at Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown, PA. We were just heading back to class after getting coffee and I happened to glance at the tv in the waiting area. I noticed that a plane had crashed into the WTC, and I mentioned to my classmates and teachers when we got back into the classroom. They said, "Yeah right it must be a hoax." Then we got word that it wasn't a hoax and that the second tower had been struck, and the Pentagon too. After that we heard about the crash of Flight 93 into the field in Somerset, and the hospital called Conval Alert, for mass casuly influx. Only there was noone to take care of. I called my mom first because there was a rumor about military bases being targeted and my dad worked at APG, and I was scared that they had been hit. The things that still stick with me are that Flight 93 crashed about 10 minutes from were I worked, and less than a mile from my ex's boss's house, and that after everything was over the flight paths for the Johnstown airport were rerouted and the planes always flew over my apartment. Sometimes hearing a plane flying low still bothers me.

Lena