Scott Powell

Hometown:Silver Spring, Md.

Age: 35

Occupation: Civilian contractor, BTG Inc.

Location:Ground,Pentagon

Back to Scott's Full Profile »

By washingtonpost.com editors |  September 1, 2008; 11:32 PM ET  | Category:  Victim Tributes
Previous: Lt. J.G. Darin Howard Pontell | Next: (Retired) Capt. Jack D. Punches

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

When I go back and reread letters I received from Scott from when I was in high school, I remember his gift of sharing himself through words. I thank him for making me feel special. I thank him for my precious memories.

Posted by: Kimberle (Foster) Wilson | September 10, 2008 1:00 PM

I am thinking of Art Powell, especially today...I am praying that God has brought comfort and understanding in your time of need. I know Scott is in a better place and he remains in your heart and in the hearts of l]all who kne and loved him. God blesss and keep your family.

Posted by: Rosalind White | September 11, 2008 9:26 AM

Scott Powell had to be one of the most gifted track producers in the 90's. He was a producing machine. If you knew Scott, you can hear some of his music in some of the songs of Whitney Houston and Miki Howard. What a gifted talent, laid to rest. God Bless Him, forever.

Posted by: G Money | September 11, 2008 5:27 PM

My prayers go out to the Powell family. God won't any more on you then you can handle. I remember Scott and Art from Ellington. I can still remember their band Digital Touch that would play at during lunch sometimes. Those were typical Ellington days. Scott is gone but never forgotten. Till we all meet again.

Posted by: Terry Barnes | September 11, 2008 10:28 PM

On Behalf of the Ellington Alumni Association, I want to express my deepest sympathy to our brother & friend Scott Powell. I feel a certain bond with the Powell brothers because my older brother Gerald and I attended Ellington with them. Art, you and your family will always be in our prayers.

Posted by: Reggie Matthews, Ellington Class of 1984 | September 12, 2008 10:16 AM

My family's thoughts and prayers are with Art Powell and family. I came to know Art while we both were IT contractors at the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2004. Although I had never met Scott, Art's love for his brother was so evident and enormous that I felt I had known Scott. Art took a Federal position with SEC and I left the agency, but we have kept in touch. Surely, my family and I share his rememberance of the brother he loved so much.

Posted by: Zaw Win and Yee Yee Khin | September 12, 2008 10:26 AM

Art, my prayers and wishes of comfort are with you and your family as you remember your beloved brother Scott. I did not know that he had passed, so I am having trouble taking it all in. I know that God continues to provide comfort to you and your family as he will be in your hearts forever. Take care.

Posted by: Irma Joseph | September 12, 2008 11:31 AM

I don't know if you remember me, but for a short time we worked together at the SEC. I had only been at the SEC exactly one week when the events of September 11, 2001 took place. Like the majority of the world's people I have very vivid personal memories of that day. One of the memories that has had a profound affect on my life was the senseless death of your brother Scott. Although I never knew Scott, I knew many of his and your colleagues. I heard their stories about him and about you. I have never forgotten him or the lose that you and your family suffered. I sometimes think of him and you on days other than September 11.

Yesterday, with the opening of the Pentagon Memorial to those who were senselessy killed seven years ago, a new chapter in the history of this nation and indeed the world opened. Those of us who lived through that day, will pass on and may even be forgotten, those who died that day will be remembered because of a memorial built and dedicated through love and determination; will continue to stand. My older sister lived in San Francisco seven years ago; so we were separated by a whole huge country that day. She experienced things in a different way from the rest of us, but her experiences were in no way less traumatic. She chose to go to the Memorial yesterday evening when it opened to the public. In the hope that the first journey there might be made a little more personal I asked her to find Scott's Memorial Bench and take a photo. Janet has a daily photo blog of the D.C. area, I am including a link to the blog, (http://www.wdc-confidential.blogspot.com/) as she posted pictures there of the Memorial and more specifically of Scott's Memorial Bench. I hope you do not think it presumptious for her to have done that or for me to have asked her to take the photo.

Art, most importantly, although I am a stranger to the rest of your family and a short term former co-worker of your's I want you to know that I remember Scott and you every year. I remember and pray for your peace and happiness, I remember so that this type of thing cannot happen again. I remember how polite and kind you always were to me and all of your co-workers; and believe with all my heart that Scott was very much like you. I hope that the blog entry is of some comfort to you. God be with you and all of your family.

Posted by: Janeen D. Kincaid | September 12, 2008 1:23 PM

Art, I am thankful for the chance I have had to be you and Scott's friend and band mate. I often remember all of the times rehearsing, writing or just talking in you guys small bedroom. This is where I got a chance to learn and share some things with you and Scott. You will always be like family to me and I am grateful for that. My love of producing and writing came from working with you guys and when I am in the studio, I often think of you and Scott and even play some of the songs we all wrote and played together. My family's prayers are with you and yours, and I pray for peace in your life.

Posted by: DaMone Arnold | September 12, 2008 5:35 PM

Art my prayers are with you and your family. I remember you two always together in school, when you saw one you knew the other was close by if not both already together. I was not to long ago checking Scott and you out in Duke Ellington's year book and some how took satisfaction in knowing that when someone see's you they see Scott as well.

Posted by: Chuck Byrd, class of 83' Ellington Alumni | September 12, 2008 6:48 PM

Art and Mrs. Powell, you know I love you very much. Scott, I still miss you, my brother. The memories live on.. The red volkwagons (my mom's and yours), Purple Rain, house parties, Digital Touch.. My heart still breaks when I think of the moment that changed all of us forever. But it strenghtens my resolve to work for peace and justice. Eight is enough! Let's rock the vote!

Posted by: Kathryn Stanley | September 12, 2008 7:03 PM

Hey Art, your brother is so missed. You guys were my best friends, band mates, class mates, college mates, and we shared so much. Count your blessings everyday and always remember if there is anything I can do let me know. Keep me updated on the scholarships. Malcolm

Posted by: Malcolm D. Alexander Ellington Class on 85' | September 13, 2008 1:15 AM

To the Powell Family Scott's passing was a lost to all of the Ellington Family. It still feels surreal when a classmate passes and as 1982 seems like a long time ago the memory of Scott the other half of "Dem Twins" will never be forgotten.
May God Bless You all and as my long lost sister Kathryn put it ....Eight is Enough!

Myron class of 82'

Posted by: Myron Alston | September 15, 2008 11:15 PM

Art and Mother Powell, words cannot express how grateful I am to have known and worked with such an awesome gift. We don't always understand God's ways but we do know that His peace, which surpasses all of our understanding, will keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. You all are forever in my prayers.

Kevette M. Burwell, Ellington Class of 85'

Posted by: bobbyswife | December 8, 2008 9:09 AM

Art and family, may God bless you and give you enough peace and strength on this day to be able to Celebrate the life of Scott. You both were always memorable and our hearts hurt deeply with you on this day! We love you both and miss him.

Posted by: CharisM | September 11, 2010 9:24 AM

My heart goes out to the Powell family. It's been over 20 years since my time at Duke Ellington and fond memories of Scott. He was such an incrdibly talented soul who was very supportive and encouraging to me during my time there. We learn that time waits for no one and that we never know when it's our time to move on. I miss the Twins and I will forever hold Scott and his memories in my heart. I will always wish the family peace as the loss of someone in such a way will never be forgotten. Thanks Scott and I love you both!
LaShaune, Ellington Class of 87"

Posted by: shauneybaby | September 11, 2010 11:05 AM

Many years have passed since Scott was taken from us, but my memories of him are clear to this day. I worked in the studio with with both Art and Scott on many projects and was always struck by the quiet grace with which Scott lived his life. He was a very talented musician, yet always humble and soft spoken.

Please know Scott, that although you aren't on this earth with us you live on in everyone whose life you touched while you were here.
Years pass but we will never forget you, you live on in all of us.

Posted by: Kenschube | September 26, 2010 9:07 PM