Happy Hour Roundup

* Cillizza smartly notes that Obama's challenge is to persuade the public that he's in charge of BP's crisis effort, even as BP is the one with the technological know-how to do it.

* Interesting nugget: The White House is reaching out to, and giving private earfuls, to high profile critics of Obama's handling of the spill.

* Ben Smith says Obama summoned an unusual level of emotion and charged imagery.

* Kate Sheppard explains Obama's offshore drilling dance.

* Kendrick Meek tears into Charlie Crist for reversing course and coming out for repeal of DADT: "This is not about being independent, this is about whatever way the wind blows for his campaign."

* But: Alex Seitz-Wald says Crist may turn progressive on gay rights now that he's been "liberated from the Republican Party.".

* A key Senate committee passed DADT repeal today, and Brian Beutler has the context on this "major victory" for equal rights activists.

* And: Nancy Pelosi says she has the votes for repeal in the House.

* But: No end to the skittishness as House Dems who have not publicly said whether they back repeal are still refusing to say where they stand.

* Fun fact of the day, courtesy of John Kerry: "Al Gore and I held the Senate's first climate change hearings in 1988, 22 wasted years ago."

World's greatest deliberative body...

* Reach of the day: GOP Rep. and intrepid scandal hunter Darrell Issa says the Joe Sestak mess could be Obama's "Watergate."

* And here's the must-watch video of Sue Lowden refusing to say whether she agrees with the Civil Right Act:

What else is happening?

UPDATE, 11:10 p.m.: Huge news as the amendment laying the groundwork for repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell passes the House, and the president issues this statement:

I have long advocated that we repeal 'Don't Ask Don't Tell', and I am pleased that both the House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services Committee took important bipartisan steps toward repeal tonight. Key to successful repeal will be the ongoing Defense Department review, and as such I am grateful that the amendments offered by Representative Patrick Murphy and Senators Joseph Lieberman and Carl Levin that passed today will ensure that the Department of Defense can complete that comprehensive review that will allow our military and their families the opportunity to inform and shape the implementation process. Our military is made up of the best and bravest men and women in our nation, and my greatest honor is leading them as Commander-in-Chief. This legislation will help make our Armed Forces even stronger and more inclusive by allowing gay and lesbian soldiers to serve honestly and with integrity.

By Greg Sargent  |  May 27, 2010; 6:48 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , House Dems , Senate Dems , Senate Republicans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama showed he grasps depths of global challenge
Next: The Morning Plum

Comments

Someone should ask Seiz-Wald wasn't Crist "liberated" on Monday when he opposed the DADT repeal? I guess liberated means once he knows for sure which way the votes will go.

Smdh

Posted by: sgwhiteinfla | May 27, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Is this the same Issa who was faced punched with these facts from an article on Salon.com? I urge you guys to read it and listen closely as Issa's duplicity is further exposed!

Posted by: roxsteady | May 27, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

The House just passed repeal of DADT! Great day!!!!!!

Posted by: Michigoose | May 27, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

The House just passed repeal of DADT! Great day!!!!!!

Posted by: Michigoose | May 27, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Greg's earlier posts on why Sestak and, to a lesser extent, the WH, need to make this non-issue go away. It's a perceptual issue; as such, it won't be the non-crime itself but the management after the fact.

So.....manage it.

As for it being like "Watergate," that just shows what an idiot Issa is.

WH: if you don't run against Specter, there will be a spot in the administration for you.

Where's the crime? Oh yeah, it's called politics. It reflects poorly on the Dems but that's all.

Hey DNC, how's that supporting Specter and Lincoln thing going?

Posted by: BGinCHI | May 27, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

lms, this will make you apoplectic:

Posted by: BGinCHI | May 27, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

BG, I'm thinking of legally changing my name to apoplectic lulu. Nice ring.

I saw that earlier, and Jane Harman is CA's Blance Lincoln. I don't know if Winograd has much of a chance but she's giving her a run for her money. My cousin lives in her district and we're doing a big fundraiser at his house Sunday with a phone bank.

Posted by: lmsinca | May 27, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone else is following the live feed of the BP gusher or following theoildrum.com or not, but most of the tec guys over there don't have too much hope for this top kill. Having said that, it looks like they're trying a junk shot. Closeups about half an hour ago showed what looked like rubber partially blocking one of the swiss cheese holes. I'm still hoping something will work, the alternative is just too depressing. And my husband's been a little grumpy lately, we have our own plumbing problems here, so I'm thinking of running off with one of the ROVs.

Posted by: lmsinca | May 27, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading a lot of digby lately, we're on the same wavelength most of the time. Here's her comment after Landrieu chided the President for not being quite hands on enough, as in kissing BP's a_ss like she's wont to do.

"Landrieu has certainly been visible --- fluffing British Petroleum in an unseemly way from the very beginning. Perhaps she will not pay a price for that politically --- I've been schooled recently that the people of Louisiana love their corrupt politicians and expect them to keep Big Oil happy."

"If that's what Landrieu is talking about in terms of the president, I hope he doesn't listen. The last thing I want to see is President Obama on TV telling all of us that BP is blameless and that we need even more offshore drilling as soon as possible, as Landrieu has been doing. Somehow, I think the "political price" for doing that might be a little bit higher for him than it is for her. (And I don't think she should count on being rewarded for her servile obeisance to the oil industry at this point. It's not quite the political winner it used to be.)"

Posted by: lmsinca | May 27, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

BG,

If six little letters appear consecutively anywhere in anyone's depositions, and I'd say there will certainly be depositions, {{{s...e...c...n...a...v}}}
then it no longer becomes perceptual and warps straight to Constitutional.

Even if only perceptual it puts Sestak in not the very best of light for the election (that's why Durbin & Rendell are popping wise).

Off to Manassas via stop @ Gettysburg to bivouac w/ 3 sibs and chilluns for LaxChampionship Wk/End (GoIrish!!!)in Balamer.

Have an excellent MemDay BG, lms! Fly a flag, hug a WAC or a Seal, give a thought/prayer.

Posted by: tao9 | May 27, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks tao, you have a nice weekend as well, sounds like fun. We're both having a party and going to a party on Sat. My girls are throwing a graduation party for all their friends and our next door neighbors are having a party, with live music, so my girls lucked out on that. We'll be bouncing back and forth. Sunday, political party at my cousins, more live music and lots of great mexican food. Monday, if the weather's nice we'll heat the pool and float and swim, mostly float, because I'll probably be half dead by then.

Posted by: lmsinca | May 28, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

tao, have a great wknd down there in old Virginny. Best to your team.

Posted by: BGinCHI | May 28, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

I still have seen no mention here of the 500 SEIU thugs who illegally surrounded the home of a Bank of America lawyer and terrorized his teen-aged son a few days ago.

Will Greg ever acknowledge this lawless and dangerous behavior and demand that Obama and the Democrats take responsibility for it?

Will any liberals ever demand that Obama and the Dems stop inciting these mobs?

Posted by: quarterback1 | May 28, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

All, morning roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | May 28, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

British Petroleum(BP) has the worst record, by far, of severe safety violations. They have been fined over and over for dangerous practices. They have a worse record than all their main competitors, combined records.

It is clear now, that BP prefers to cut corners, and pay the fines.

I would love to know who pushed the $75 Million liability cap through for them, on their offshore drilling operations. That was an incentive for BP to actually cut corners, since it would cost far more than the $75 million cap on liability for BP to run the operations in a safe and prudent manner.

Someone please dig into who actually got that limit inserted in the law.

By the way; just because BP now says that they will pay for costs of clean up, beyond that $75 mil. cap, do not believe them. They are just stalling for time. They will drag out all claims, and challenge them for decades.

BP must be required to put at least ten billion dollars into a clean up, and compensation fund, now. Force them to do it now, while the heat is on, or they will never live up to their word.

Finally.

Boycott their products. Buy another brand of gasoline. If the consumers do not punish BP, they will get away with their habitual cutting of corners, once more.

Boycott them. Do it.