No apology: Cantor blasts Dems for rehashing Malek's purging of Jews

Eric Cantor, the only Jewish Republican in the House, is brushing off Dem calls for the disavowal of top GOP donor and power-broker Frederic Malek, who is suddenly in the news because new info came to light about his involvement in purging Jews from the Nixon administration.

Cantor sends over a statement noting that Malek has long since apologized and ripping Dems for rehashing history instead of focusing on present problems:

"Fred Malek has acknowledged that he has made mistakes, has taken responsibility for those mistakes, and has said he's learned from them. There is no reason for anyone to believe otherwise. Meanwhile, oil continues to spew into the Gulf. Our national debt is increasing by nearly $5 billion per day and just soared past $13 trillion. Far too many Americans remain out of work. Terrorists are plotting this very second to kill Americans. With all of these challenges, it is beyond belief that Democrats are focusing their energy on the Nixon Administration.

"I was 5 years old when Richard Nixon was elected, and frankly I cannot understand how rehashing the wrongs of his Administration will help solve the serious challenges facing America today. President Obama was elected in 2008 in part because he chose to look forward instead of back -- and it seems as though both he and his party are forgetting that lesson."

Malek himself has given Republicans over $1 million, and Malek's group is expected to spend up to $25 million targeting Dems this cycle, which could make it a bit easier to forgive Malek's lapse as ancient history.

UPDATE, 7:07 p.m.: Dem Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz responds:

The fact that House Republican Whip Eric Cantor, who is one of the highest ranking Jewish officials in the U.S. government, chalks this up to some "mistakes" in Malek's past is particularly troubling. No matter how long ago the outrageous purging of Jews from the Nixon Administration took place, it's never just "old news." This appears to be nothing more than Republican leaders knowingly turning a blind eye to Malek's anti-Semitic past in order to secure millions of dollars in campaign assistance.

By Greg Sargent  |  June 3, 2010; 5:38 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , House Dems , House GOPers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Top GOP power-broker Frederic Malek counted "ethnics" for Nixon
Next: Happy Hour Roundup: "Furious"

Comments

If it just didn't seem like Malek was still carrying out his Nixonian mission...

Posted by: boloboffin1 | June 3, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@Greg: You are getting a bit shameless:

"[Malek] is suddenly in the news because new info came to light about his involvement in purging Jews from the Nixon administration."

That info did not "suddenly" (or recently) come into light - Noah at Slate wrote about it May 21. It's not new info at all - it is being brought up to distract from the left's reaction to the flotilla incident.

Way to go Cantor!

Posted by: sbj3 | June 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Slave Sargent:
"Eric Cantor, the only Jewish Republican in the House,"

Doing some "Jew-counting" of your own, I see...

Posted by: Bilgeman | June 3, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Now SBJ is claiming that May 23, 2010 is the Ancient Past. What an Addled and Silly Maroon!!!

Posted by: Liam-still | June 3, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Birther Bilgey,

Looks like Nixon's "ethnic cleansing" worked. Now all the Republican Aparheid Party has to watch out for is Token Cantor, and he is willing to function as a camp guard for them.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 3, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Soulless Liam-slave:

It is OberMeme-meister Sargent who is the one performing the "Kongresslager Juden Appel" here.

Not Cantor.

Posted by: Bilgeman | June 3, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Liam, while I agree that Cantor is playing his token role perfectly...

I wish you hadn't chosen the 'camp guard' metaphor. It is insulting to me, personally, that you would choose to bring the Holocaust into the conversation when it could easily have been avoided, but beyond that, it also distracts from the point you made, appropriately, that Eric Cantor is not in the least representative of American Jews.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | June 3, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

What Cantor does: a shonda

Posted by: mainer2 | June 3, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate to change the subject, not really.... but here's a good video feed of the ROV's working on the top hat preparing it to be lowered onto the BOP which has been cut somewhat flat. Windows 7 & 8 show their work, and we can expect it to be ready in the next 12-24 hours.

Posted by: lmsinca | June 3, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought a little comedy might be in order, you'll like this Ethan, remember I was ready to run away with one of these guys last week. From commenter creosotechris at theoildrum.com

"Yesterday there were two incidents that caused me to kinda lose my perspective temporarily:

1) There was a brief and stunningly beautiful scene, just after the diamond band-saw was yanked away, where 2 ROVs, viewed by a third, were hovering in the water maybe 30 or 40 feet away from the BOP top. With all that lighting horsepower, the scene was *very* well-illumniated, best panoramic view I've seen so far. The plume of oil and dispersant from the BOP was horrendous, the clarity of the scene stunning. And for a moment I idly wondered.... what the hell must those ROVs be thinking? ....then I realised.

2) Two ROVs came face to face, and started reaching out their claws and toching each other. "Some kind of ROV mating ritual?" I thought "baby ROVs on the way?"..... after a couple of mins I realised that ROV1 was reaching out to clean the main camara lens of ROV2."

Posted by: lmsinca | June 3, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Cantor: "I was 5 years old when Richard Nixon was elected, and frankly I cannot understand how rehashing the wrongs of his Administration will help solve the serious challenges facing America today."

Yeah, and I wasn't even born when Jim Crow was in effect, so why don't black people just stop complaining and enjoy their free and unfettered access to the American dream.

Dear Eric Cantor: the only way you can move forward is by understanding the past and working for change.

Eric Cantor, the new Pat Buchanan.

Posted by: BGinCHI | June 3, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

slave lmsinca:
"Two ROVs came face to face, and started reaching out their claws and toching each other. "Some kind of ROV mating ritual?" I thought "baby ROVs on the way?"..... after a couple of mins I realised that ROV1 was reaching out to clean the main camara lens of ROV2."

"This obsessive observation of the action down there (and I'm sure I'm not the only one.....) is kinda sending me nutty.""

You were nuttier n' an oak tree before, I just think that you must be pretty lonely, too.

Look, my ship has an ROV and a crane weight-test basket 3000' feet down right now. We have video feed of this, too.

Do you think I'm the slightest bit interested in watching it?

NOBODY watches this stuff who isn't PAID to, or who isn't paying FOR it.

Go outside...meet someone...have a sandwich. The Macondo well is in the Gulf, you're in Caleefornica. It;s not going to directly affect you.

For God's sake, step away from the ROV feed.

Posted by: Bilgeman | June 3, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Does Cantor recognize the irony and stupidity in what he's saying? He's the only Jewish Republican in the House and he's attempting to discredit the "anti ethnics (Jews)" of his parties past which was Malek's task, which does make it relevant today. Olbermann should have a field day with this one.

Posted by: roxsteady | June 3, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze Bilgey it was just a joke. This place takes everything way too serious. What's boring to you may be at least a little interesting to the rest of us. Oh BTW, I visited two beautiful oil free beaches last weekend.

Posted by: lmsinca | June 3, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Token Cantor"

Uncle Eric. Just goes to show the power of GOP idiocy; strongest than Zionism. Man, that is SOME kool-aid they got there. Remember that Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it? The GOP must have something like that. Or else dirty pictures.

Posted by: wbgonne | June 3, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

""Fred Malek has acknowledged that he has made mistakes, has taken responsibility for those mistakes, and has said he's learned from them"

Exactly what Blumenthal said but the GOP never laid off him... I guess you do reap what you sow...

Posted by: soapm | June 3, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

lmslaveinca:
"Oh BTW, I visited two beautiful oil free beaches last weekend."

Now THAT would be video worth streaming.

A beach full of California beach-bunnies.

Two robots cutting pipe 5000' down?

I see that all the time.

"What's boring to you may be at least a little interesting to the rest of us."

Understood.

Do you know when I discovered what "boredom" was?

I was watching reruns of Canadian Parliament on C-SPAN2 at 0300 in the morning, (stone cold sober), and I was INTERESTED.

Watching ROV feeds might be right on up there with that, IMHO.

Posted by: Bilgeman | June 3, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

This is not old news because new information surfaced after Maleks "appology" that proves he had a far more substantial role then he ever acknowledged and that he has repeated lied about it (even his apology was a lie because it minimized what he had done).

Malek might make for a sucessful businessman, but we have far too many liars in government.

Cantor is wrong on this.

Posted by: MarilynManson | June 4, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Unreal. The Commonwealth of Virginia now has a professional "Jew-Hunter" as chairman of Gov. Bob McDonnell's Commission on Government Reform and Restructuring. It would seem that the next logical step will be a crusade by Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli to restore segregation in our schools, public transportation and restaurants.

Posted by: FriendofKeyserSoze | June 4, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse