Huge majority still wants Obama tougher with BP

This is a fascinating finding buried in the new CNN poll, particularly since it was taken yesterday, on the day that Obama announced he had prevailed on BP to create a $20 billion escrow fund:

Too tough 5%

About right 26%

Not tough enough 67%

No opinion 2%

Now, in fairness, news of the $20 billion fund was only announced yesterday afternoon, and perhaps it hasn't sunken in with the public yet. But even before yesterday, the fund had been widely discussed in the media for several days, and the public's desire for Obama to get still tougher with BP is yet another mark of the extraordinary depth of public anger at BP.

The poll also finds that only 41 percent approve of Obama handling of the spill, despite creation of this fund. Taken together, all these findings suggest that no matter what Obama does in terms of collecting damages from BP, the public just isn't going to let Obama off the hook in general terms until the oil spill is halted.

By Greg Sargent  |  June 17, 2010; 1:07 PM ET
Categories:  Climate change
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boehner distances himself from Barton apology to BP
Next: How long can Dems keep the Barton story alive?

Comments

My Last Word On The Call For Censorship On Plumline.

Of course we tolerate jerks, or else we become a police state.

Each and every one of us, is perceived to be a jerk, by some other people, with different points of view.

Where is this infallible, and impartial censor to be found. I will tell you where; some naive young intern, will be assigned the tedious task of reacting to the complaining emails, and in order to stop the flow of complaints, will give them the scalp they are calling for. If enough complaints start flowing in, from the other side, then that intern will give them your scalp or mine also.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Brought over from the last thread:

"this is delicious. Republicans in the Gulf States not only don't think it's an outrageous shakedown, they are claiming that Obama stole the idea from them!!!!

Bill McCollum (FL AG running for Gov) and Sen. Lemieux both tripped over each other insisting that they demanded the escrow first and that Obama just borrowed their idea.
Posted by: JoeT1

JoeT!: got links?

Posted by: suekzoo1 | June 17, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Too early still, I'd say. Polls tomorrow and maybe today ought to be closer to telling us whether there's a shift.

Greg, any polls on the GOP on the spill/disaster?

Posted by: BGinCHI | June 17, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi:

Americans are suffering in the Gulf while Republicans apologize to Big Oil. We need clean energy now. #BPhearing

Posted by: Ethan2010 | June 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The 20 Billion is just a small fraction, of what the actually clean up and economic restoration efforts, will end up costing. It will end up costing at least two hundred billion dollars to restore the region.

Think about how much more the BP created disaster is going to cost the Federal and State governments.

Think about the loss of jobs, that will put a huge amount of people on unemployment comp, and food stamps, etc. Think about the loss of revenues, to support all the schools, and police depts, along the gulf coast area. Think about the loss of tourism related jobs.
Think about the increased costs of seafood, because forty percent of the nation's supply has been lost.

Republicans hate America, and it's working class people.

Republicans are the hired body guards of the Robber Barons, who are destroying America's working class people.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@Liam: I am not leaving because of the insults hurled around by some posters, but I hate to see others leave because of the behavior of a few...Again, a poster should get X number of vituperative rants and if this doesn't stop, a temporary ban could be imposed, followed by reinstatement. If the bad behavior continues, then a longer ban can be imposed...Not my favorite solution, but perhaps one that will keep people who play well with others around...

Posted by: srw3 | June 17, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Deep Thought

Pay Attention To This One, All You Teabaggers out there.

If Joe Barton(R) Were around at when the original Boston Tea Party took place,

Joe Barton would have rushed to apologize to the British.

Letter To Joe Barton(R)

Dear Congressman Barton,

Thank you for defending BP, and I hope that I will also soon receive a similar apology from you.

I remain;

Yours Disastrously,

Hurricane Katrina.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Liam, I'm sure you know but when you said the 20 billion will be only a fraction, I'm not sure.

The clean up costs are separate I believe. This funds intention is to shore up lost revenue to businesses on the coast affected by the spill.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

So, now that he's secured 20 billion from BP and another 100 million to compensate rig workers, do you think the myth that he's beholden to oil because individual contributions from people who worked in the industry surpassed others the last presidential campaign?

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

SRW3

On the day that any form of censorship, including issuing warnings, is implemented, that is the day that I stop posting on here.

How the hell is anyone suppose to express their thoughts, if they have to keep wondering; how many sort of those :letter to the editor" whiners will take offense, and demand that I be warned or banned.

I do not want to end up on a blog, that is dedicated to listening to only the sound of one hand clapping.

Anyone who gets run off by Birther Bilgey's words, has no backbone, and is actually rewarding the behavior of the person they are complaining about.

They have every right to ignore what he writes. They have absolutely no right to make sure that all others must also ignore it.

That is how The Taliban operates.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@The Hill:

* GOP lawmaker demands Barton step down from top committee spot *

A Republican lawmaker from a district affected by the oil spill called on Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) to step down as the ranking member of his committee.

Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), whose Pensacola district is among the most-impacted areas in the Gulf by the oil spill, condemned Barton for apologizing to BP CEO Tony Hayward during a committee meeting on Thursday.

"I condemn Mr. Barton’s statement. Mr. Barton’s remarks are out of touch with this tragedy and I feel his comments call into question his judgment and ability to serve in a leadership on the Energy and Commerce Committee," MIller said in a statement. "He should step down as Ranking Member of the Committee.”

Posted by: Ethan2010 | June 17, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think people expect criminal charges. I know I do.

Posted by: wbgonne | June 17, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"I am ashamed of all you so called liberals, who keep calling for a Plumline Church Lady to enforce your personal sense of outrage."

Speaking for myself only, this is a ridiculous interpretation of why some of us are complaining and leaving. I am not in favor of censorship but the site becomes boring and unconstructive at times so I feel free to drop in and out at will. I am only responsible for my own words, no one else's, but the degradation of the site may be in Greg's interest. As someone who's going on a year of comments here I feel I owe it to Greg and others here to express my concerns. There are other sites who actually do set up rules of participation and abide by them, it's up to the WaPo and Greg to decide if it's something they want to tackle.

Posted by: lmsinca | June 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Shorter John Cornyn:

I agree with Barton's comments. Obama is only interested in the $20B account for political purposes.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | June 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

mike: "The clean up costs are separate I believe."

Under OPA90, BP will be assessed a penalty per barrell of oil spilled.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | June 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Joe Barton career contributions:

BY INDUSTRY

Oil & Gas = $1,448,380
Electric Utilities = $1,361,985

BY SECTOR

Energy & Natural Resources = $3,261,430

Posted by: Ethan2010 | June 17, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"

mike: "The clean up costs are separate I believe."

Under OPA90, BP will be assessed a penalty per barrell of oil spilled."

That's just the fine. There's clean up costs on top of that also.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Bottom line is: The Amount of damage and economic disruption that BP has caused, will end up costing the Taxpayers far more than BP will ever kick in.

Since that is the stark reality of how this will play out, for Joe Barton or any other Republicans to be complaining about BP, being required to contribute a fraction of the total recovery costs, is a good reason for the American people to kick all those Republicans out of office.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@liam: How the hell is anyone suppose to express their thoughts

Calling people slaves constantly is not an expression of thought, it is the opposite, a mindless repetition of insults. I would rather have bilgey here and a bit more civil, but personally I would rather have him than not have him. He is easy to ignore and once in a blue moon, he actually has something marginally relevant to say. Wading through the muck of his comments is rarely worth the effort, but I do it occasionally. I think that gratuitous insults aimed at other posters lowers the level of discourse somewhat but I am willing to put up with that. I just wish that his bile didn't splash on everyone who posts on this site. I think that the warning/temporary ban is a compromise position, but if it is either ban completely or continue as is, I am about 51-49 for keeping it as is.

BTW: I don't mind a bit of name calling at public officials and their positions, but I really try to not make personal attacks on other posters.

Posted by: srw3 | June 17, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Stunning statement from Cornyn supporting Barton via Bennen:

"At this point, some in the party are actually defending him. Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, conceded that he "shares" Barton's "concerns."

"I think it's good that there's going to be some money there, I don't know whether it's going to be enough money to pay all the claims. They should pay the legitimate claims. But the part that Representative Barton is expressing some concern about, that I share the concern, is this has really become a political issue for the President and he's trying to deal with it by showing how tough he's being against BP. The problem is BP's the only one who really is in control of shutting down this well, and he's trying to mitigate, I think, his own political problems."

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg, apparently Republicans are hunkered down in Boehners office coming up with talking points.

Quick get every individual Republicans take on this you can and get it on the record.

I'd like to see the contrast of gut reactions to talking points distributed by the leadership on this.

Hammer them!!!

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

O/T - but related to the hurt feelings here:

"Keith Olbermann Checks Out Of Daily Kos After Criticism From Left"

Posted by: sbj3 | June 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what was in the Republican's job package that the democrats defeated today? It is important that democrats start showing the people the things Republican's put in their packages and how little of it has to do with jobs or the middle class. They can't just keep rejecting the proposals with no explanation. Reid did this before with a jobs package. When will they learn?

Posted by: soapm | June 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

On the day that they ban Bilgey for calling me "a slave" that is the day that they have also banned me.

I will defend to the death, Birther Bilgey's right to call me "a slave" or a moon calf, or Polly Bergen, or Jimmy Dale Gilmore, or what ever the hell else he wants to call me.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

soapm, I heard the big diff was Republicans wanted to use unspent stimulus funds. Apart from that they were the same.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | June 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Let me take another crack at BP's liability here, as I have spent (wasted) some time looking into it.

1. BP is responsible for ALL cleanup and restoration costs. That means eliminating the oil and repairing the physical damage to the coastline. There is no cap of any kind on this amount. This is what the $20B escrow money is for.

2. BP is responsible for economic damages caused by the oil. This includes lost employment and income for the fishers, restauranteurs, hoteliers, etc. Under OPA the amount of economic damages is capped at $75M UNLESS there is "gross negligence" or violation of some other law. In that case, there is no cap on economic damages. This is also covered by the $20B escrow.

3. The Federal government has instituted a moratorium on new deepwater drilling in the Gulf, thereby eliminating jobs for oil rig workers. BP does not agree that this amount should be included as OPA economic damages. Nonetheless, BP has agreed to put $100M aside to pay the unemployed oil workers.

4. BP must pay the U.S. the royalty fee for every barrel of oil it extracts, including the leaked oil. I'm not sure of the per barrel royalty fee but BP estimated early on that the royalties were about $1.1M per day.

5. BP will be fined under the Clean Water Act for each barrel of oil discharged into the Gulf. The fine is $1,100 per barrel or $4,300 per barrel if there was gross negligence.

All of these items are separate.

Posted by: wbgonne | June 17, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

All, Dems are really pushing hard on the Barton story now:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | June 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@sbj: To the best of my knowledge, Bilgey hasn't called me, personally, anything harsher than "Moonbat". Or it may have been "Michimoonbat". Either way I thought it was kinda funny.

Liam, is nothing--absolutely NOTHING--outside the pale? I'm going to disagree with you on that one.

Posted by: Michigoose | June 17, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

People need to remember history. Bush talked "tough" and took a "tough" approach to 9/11 and got us into two (2) wars. One which had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 which also led to him loosing focus on the one thing he claimed he was going to do - capture Bin Laden.

Posted by: rlj1 | June 17, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

The comment stream has become mostly boring and unreadable, dominated by four people who don't really have much insight to contribute. I understand the reluctance to ban or censor, but how much do you value the discussion? The comment streams on too many liberal blogs have become useless trash by allowing such attention-starved trolls on the right and on the left to dominate and disrupt a discussion.

In lieu of the censor's hammer, Greg, maybe if you stepped in more often with a warning, or deletion of individual offenses, as is done over at TNC, Crooks and Liars, and other places. I know it isn't really your nature, but I suspect you are going to be losing most of your best commenters if this continues.

Posted by: TomBlue | June 17, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The most stunning thing that Joe Barton's, and John Cornyn's ,defense of BP has exposed is:

How much they take their red states supporters for granted.

Joe Barton's apology to BP, came in his prepared remarks, so it was not some off the cuff moment, that he might have some excuse for.

He prepared those remarks in advance, and still felt that he was completely free, to write of the plight of all the working class people in the Gulf Coast states.

Republicans not only hold the victims of BP, in contempt, but they do not even bother to try and conceal their contempt for the victims.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Michigoose | June 17, 2010 2:39 PM

.............

That is a strawman argument.

We know why people want to ban Bilgey. He gets under their skin. Too bloody bad.

Posted by: Liam-still | June 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if noted earlier but Lawrence O'Donnell is moving into the slot after Maddow. Good pick.

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

This is further proof that Repulicans are losing it... they are not getting the mood. A Brit corporation shat on us -- and Barton is apologizing to the sh*tter!

I hope that's an ad in the fall, intercutting Barton with oily beaches, dead birds, unemployed fishermen, shuttered hotels, etc.

Posted by: drindl | June 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Is the GOP becoming the party of revolution? And I don't mean "revolution" in the sense of the "Republican Revolution" of 1994, but in the literal rise up with arms sense. A couple of data points have surfaced that raise genuinely disturbing questions about a pair of the candidates running for office under the GOP banner this year. And I'm not talking about marginal candidates, but people who actually have a real chance of getting elected to Congress." http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2010/06/16/Angle-Barber-and-the-Republican-Rhetoric-of-Violence.html

Present threats of violence and of insurrectionist movements are pretty much exclusively found on the right in America. As this is matched with the folks who like guns a lot, one could be justified in feeling some sense of alarm.

An interesting aspect of this is how aligned this movement is with corporate interests. That's not an accident - Grover Norquist, Dick Armey etc haven't made millions through $5 checks from the "little people" but from big industrial interests.

A real possible consequence of this dynamic is the emergence of something we might call a "goon army", a pseudo-populist movement who are acting, quite unknowingly, at the behest of the same entities that are making their lives miserable. It's "what's wrong with Kansas" but at an automatic weapons level.

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

LAS VEGAS — Sig Rogich is a hyper-connected Nevada Republican who helped elect Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, and once worked a few steps from the Oval Office in a White House corner later occupied by Karl Rove.

So which candidate gets Rogich's considerable support in the Nevada Senate race: Democrat Harry Reid or Republican Sharron Angle?
"Harry Reid," says the GOP strategist, who started "Republicans for Reid" months ago. "I could never support somebody who espouses the radical positions that Angle does."..."And now," Rogich says of Angle, "we've got this nightmare."

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Have any photos turned up yet of Barton and Cornyn bowing to the BP execs?

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Big oily ouch here...

"It's well-known that Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX), the congressman who made headlines today for apologizing to BP for the "$20 billion shakedown" of the new escrow account, has been drenched in oil and gas industry money for years.

But here's a nice catch by 538:

Barton's number one career campaign contributor, Anadarko Petroleum, has 25% ownership in the well where the April 20 rig explosion occurred.

The firm, which has given Barton $146,500 over the years, has been sent a bill by BP for cleanup costs." http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/bartons_top_campaign_contributor_is_implicated_in.php?ref=fpi

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ed Kilgore has it right, per usual...

"The dirty little secret of Washington right now is that the policies Republicans would follow if they were running things are considerably less popular than those being promoted by Democrats, and as the events of the last year have graphically demonstrated, there is no "half-loaf" compromise approach on major issues that Obama can take that Republicans will accept. So Obama can do what he's doing, or do nothing. If he's a "bully" for rejecting complete inaction, then bully for him. "

Posted by: bernielatham | June 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

JOE BARTON'S OFFICE JUST LIED TO ME

I am in Barton's district and they said that the media is taking Congressman Barton out of context and that they are trying to hurt him politically.

I then asked them how that could be when he called Obama a party to a "shakedown" and how he said he was "ashamed of my country" and "would go to jail" for forcing a company into putting together a "slushfund"

The representative became quiet very quickly.

Call Barton Tell Him to RESIGN.

WASHINGTON OFFICE
2109 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-2002

Posted by: tjkeppler | June 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

JOE BARTON'S OFFICE JUST LIED TO ME

The representative became quiet very quickly.

Call Barton Tell Him to RESIGN.

WASHINGTON OFFICE
2109 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-2002

Posted by: tjkeppler | June 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The fact that a majority say that Obama has not been tough enough on BP may say more about how intensely angry people are at BP, not at Obama.

Posted by: Spacer | June 17, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

No fairness! In all HONESTY, CNN bsrely covered the $20B story; instead, the focused on the BP Chairman's "small people" comment. Tell me how it works, Greg, the media can pound on the President for what they call empty promises. He delivers the first of the promises in less than 24 hours and no coverage? Someone like Anderson Cooper can grandstande about supporting the people of LA, but won't give coverage to the financial life line they've been waiting for.

Posted by: NMP1 | June 17, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse