The message of Palin's "Mama Grizzlies" video

One of the primary messages here seems intended for Republican Party officials across the country. By producing such a slick political ad with an undeniably strong political message, the signal is clear: Palin is a political force to be reckoned with. She's got a growing power base that Republicans covet and that she has a unique ability to reach. And you shouldn't dismiss the possibility that she really may run for president.

It's admittedly way too early to try to figure out whether she'll run. This video is all about helping her get exposure and putting other Republicans on notice about her rising clout. But you can't escape the campaign-like feel of this video.

For the longest time I'd been convinced that Palin would never run for President. I thought she'd never dare give up her current role of celebrity quasi-candidate, in which she can completely dictate the terms of her relationship with the media, if not the actual coverage that results from it. It seemed like she grasped that the moment she becomes a candidate she risks losing the built-in advantages associated with the unique role she's created for herself. Step outside the bubble and she'd rapidly implode.

Now I'm not so sure. For the first time I think she's really may run.

By Greg Sargent  |  July 8, 2010; 2:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Angle: I shouldn't have used term "slush fund"
Next: Happy Hour Roundup

Comments

Please, please, please run Sarah. The best gift you could give to the dems...

Posted by: srw3 | July 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope Palin runs. Then we'll find out what America is made of.

Posted by: wbgonne | July 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

what do you all think? think she really may do it?

Posted by: Greg Sargent | July 8, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Greg, when I saw the vid this morning I thought oh yeah, she's running. She exists in a bubble of adoration. I read her facebook posts and comments every few days and it truly has become her world. It's gonna get crazy.

Posted by: lmsinca | July 8, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Beats me, Greg. But look at it this way: Palin is a shameless megalomaniac so why wouldn't she run for president? Obama versus Palin: America will finally stand at the crossroads and have to make its choice. Bring it on!

Posted by: wbgonne | July 8, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I continue to think that she doesn't really want to run for or be President. She's essentially lazy and it's just too much work.

That said, the idea that this would be a gift to the Deomcrats is naive. Politics is too unpredictable in this country. Nobody like Palin should be allowed to get within a thousand miles of the Presidency.

Posted by: Virginia7 | July 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I think she probably won't. Life is too cushy right now--and if she were to run, she'd have to work significantly harder than she ever has in her life, and I just don't see her as interested in all that.

Her favorability ratings are not good. Check, they're bad right now. She has fantastic name recognition, but people outside of the Republican Party just don't like her.

Did you see her interview with Bill O'Reilly? She has verbal diarrhea of the mouth, and, if anything, it's gotten worse since last year. It will be the same as candidate. And while Rich Lowry can get all goose-pimply over her performance in the debate, she made no sense whatsoever. I doubt anything has changed--and she'll have to go through a ton of debates in the primaries and general. Which, I guess, is my way of reassuring myself that the country won't elect such a monstrosity.

But right now, I don't see her running. She has more influence this way.

But if she does, we will indeed know what America is made of.

Posted by: CTVoter | July 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't see her going up against Obama as an incumbent. 2016 might be another matter. In 6 years, folks might forget about her national security experience commanding the Alaska National Guard and her foreign policy experience being in the state closest to Russia. I know these would all come up if she ran, but she could say that's ancient history now. Given the average American memory only stretches back 20 minutes or so, it might work. Still she is going to turn herself into a multimillionaire before she goes back to politics.

Posted by: srw3 | July 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Will she run? Yes, she will. And she'll probably win the Republican nomination.

But then the fun begins.

About one month after Republican Convention she will decide to quit the race, so that she can better help the American people. Also, too.

That will leave her vice presidential pick as the candidate. Don't worry though, she will have consulted with John McCain about how best to pick a VP running mate and will have chosen Snookie from Jersey Shore. I'm sure Snookie will be fully capable of winning the Presidency for the GOP. And honestly, Snookie will probably do a much better job that Sarah would.

Posted by: nisleib | July 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Virginia7 if Palin is ever elected president the American people will get what they deserve for not paying attention to facts, reason, basic math, and the rudiments of our political system and I will be moving to Canada...I don't mind the cold...;-) I guess the test case is Reid vs Angle. If Nevadans elect someone who believes in second amendment solutions, forcing rape victims to bear their rapists children, eliminating the dept of education, EPA, etc. then they get what they deserve and I have some real estate shopping to do north of the border...

Posted by: srw3 | July 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that the Lame Stream Media ... i.e. the liberal, biased media such as ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, the majority of the press and the liberal dominated talk shows think that in order to run for President, Sarah Palin will have to surrender and deal with them. What is the viewership of each of the networks... 5 - 6 million? Sarah has almost 2 million FaceBook fans. Why would she have to deal with the LSM on its terms? She will find a way to go around them, just like she has for the last year or so... by the way, she seems to be doing pretty good at it, isn't she? for a dumb hick from that place up there, up north where they don't understand how it works with the big boys in media and politics in the establishment... really, who needs them anyway?

Posted by: philipjames1 | July 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The Republican party has a 3 main sections to its base (some intersecting ideologies, but generally different single issue sensibilities):

1. theocons (jesus everywhere at all times, education, medicine, marriage, love, sex, war, government, everywhere),

2. neocons (bomb all non-anglos so they know who is their master), and

3. paleos/plutocrats (hate taxes, hate government, hate unions/working stiffs, love money, love power, love big corporate).

Palin has category 1 locked up, is making solid inroads into category 2, but has little chance if any on category 3 (I should know, I work with these people, they are my colleagues, the parents of my friends, the parents of my kids friends, they are the oldschool corporate white collar combined with the Rick Santelli if you are poor it is because you are weak and lazy and stupid).

Palin is either smart enough to know how much better she has it now that she calls the shots or dumb enough to believe her own bubble: we'll know by March, 2011.

Posted by: AjaxtheGreater | July 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

She'll run.

She'll run as the most qualified candidate ever simply because she has a Facebook account and uses her twatter page.

She'll run. Way too full of herself not to.

Posted by: Chris-TheFold | July 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

AjaxtheGreater?

March 2011 is too long. I think we'll know by January 2011...

Posted by: CTVoter | July 8, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Two scenes come to mind:

1. John Belushi in Animal House giving a rousing but of course wrong (...when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...) speech and then running out with no one behind him.

2. Will Farrell in Old School going streaking alone thinking he's leading a lot of people.

Sarah is going to get her 20% or so, but what will that get her? Maybe the nomination, but not a general. Maybe she should move to a parliamentary democracy. Like France.

Posted by: BGinCHI | July 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

It was an insult that McCain selected her for VP. It is frightening that she may actually get the Republican nomination.

The worse part is that the US does undergo periods of hysteria/panic/stupidity, have not quite decided what it really is, when a Palin wins national elections. And at present, the Republican party has a core of nuts, and the Democratic party has a core that does not know what to do.

So, she could run and even win.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | July 8, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | July 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

One thing's for certain - she'll never get anywhere without better favorables among women.

I don't think she'll run for President - she just might crown the next one, though.

Posted by: sbj3 | July 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

BGinCHI @ July 8, 2010 3:50 PM: If memory serves me right, after Belushi runs around by himself, one of his 'old money' brothers give a speech supporting Belushi, that convinced the rest of the house to ... give us a classic comedy.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | July 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think you got it right in the first paragraph. But I don't think this ad is aimed at the public, I think it's aimed at candidates. "I'm a trusted brand. Promote me and I'll promote you."

The moment Sarah Palin runs, her value drops through the floor. She can't possibly win -- she may not even win the GOP primary. So she'd go from quasi-leader of some vague, undefined movement to Mike Huckabee.

Not a step up for an ambitious book-seller and would-be tastemaker like Palin.

Posted by: wiscoman | July 8, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"What a shame that Palin doesn't look like "Right" Angle. We'd never have heard of the moron.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | July 8, 2010 3:55 PM"

Posted by: msmollyg | July 8, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

She will run and could possibly win. In order for her to win we will have to be living in a very different world than we do today, but I don't think that's out of the question.

In a climate of political fear & economic instability anything can happen. Throw in a couple terrorist attacks and you have a dangerous concoction that lends itself perfectly to Palin's brand of fear-mongering.

Posted by: Adam_W | July 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

O/T: "West Virginia's attorney general says Gov. Joe Manchin can put the late Robert C. Byrd's Senate seat on the ballot this November."

Posted by: sbj3 | July 8, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Greg, like most libs, and those commenting here, you've had your head up 0bama's ass way too long. Pull it out once in awhile and get some fresh air. Palin is ALREADY running, but you're too stupid to realize that fact. Come 2012, we'll get real change from the corrupt thuggish Chicago politics that we have now.

Posted by: gatshanson1 | July 8, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Start from the premise that Sarah Palin is a con artist, an opportunist, who has a definite appeal to a certain kind of man (John McCain, Rich Lowry) and to some women, who see her getting the kind of recognition they would like to have or think their kind of woman should have. She wants to make money and to be a celbrity. She also wants power, but the kind that comes from the ability to command her followers and broker their votes to other candidates. Then she can affect the agenda and stay in the limelight.

She doesn't really want to be President, much less run for the office, because it really is a great deal of work and a huge responsibility. Surely even she has to see that it is so far beyond her ability that it would be a disaster. Plus, most of the con-con wing of the party see through her. And the first primary defeat would puncture her bubble absolutely. Finally, there is the added media scrutiny. It's kind of like the glass ceiling that was on Ted Kennedy--he couldn't run for President, but he could do whatever else he wanted.

So she will continue to tweet and command her followers and titillate the male media, but she won't actually run, though she won't say that until the filing deadline for Iowa has passed.

Posted by: Mimikatz | July 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Of course she's running.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | July 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me the amount of coverage that hack recieves, given her total avoidance of any major news network (no, FOX is not news).

Will she run? Sure. She has the ego to do it, and she'll likely see it as a way to make some serious bank. The only thing that would keep her from it would be if she believes that she can make more money and be more famous if she doesn't - which might actually be the case.

What I would be REALLY interested in seeing is who she would pick for a running mate. One would think that she would pick someone that she could basically keep in line, and certainly not someone that might be able to have a political voice that might outshine hers (even on policy, which is a low bar to clear). No way it would be Romney, Gringrich, Brown, etc.

I really can't imagine who she'll get. I could joke and say Orly Taitz or something...but I really couldn't make a real guess.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | July 8, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Here are the simple reasons she'll never run for office;

1 - It's too much work
2 - It's not enough pay
3 - It would force her outside her little bubble of Facebook and Fake News Fluffing.

Posted by: BirchMan | July 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

the republicans are potentially painting themselves into a corner with the palin boosting. if she does run, i can see her winning the nomination but not the general. but if she doesn't run, her hardcore supporters will have to be won over -- not necessarily a given.

i tend to think she's too lazy and comfortable with her current status to run. but then again, i think she feels like she has something to prove.

Posted by: blahgblogwordpresscom | July 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

She'll run. Her fans will insist that she step forward to "save" the country. I don't see any way she stays on the sidelines with all those "mama grizzlies" cheering "Run, Sarah, Run!"

It is astonishing that anyone finds her speeches at all inspiring. She cannot put together a coherent sentence.

Since the video is (nominally) about "SarahPAC", is there any update on how much money SarahPAC has actually doled out to other candidates? I recall hearing a couple of months ago that she had only given out a few thousand dollars.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | July 8, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I second molly--stop with the comments about looks, please.

Posted by: CTVoter | July 8, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Why the sexist hangup on looks? These women are nuts, who cares what they look like?"

This person may have been inartful in their comment, but they're right on target when it comes to Palin and her appeal. Just ask Rich "Starbursts" Lowry.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | July 8, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BGinCHI | July 8, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

She's got to run. She's an attention junkie, and the only reason people pay attention is that she is a potential presidential candidate. The minute she says "nope, not running", she will be relegated to the same Elba-like exile as Dan Quayle. Permanently.

Posted by: HelloDollyLlama | July 8, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Wait. Sarah who?

Posted by: CalD | July 8, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

We sort of "found out" what America is made of in 2004. Furthermore, if Sharron Angle and Rand Paul win in November, this will be the signal for Palin to run.

Posted by: dozas | July 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I go back and forth about whether she'll run or not. I think her ego and her handlers are pushing her in that direction - but if she flames out then she knows there's a good chance the gravy train goes bye-bye. I'm not sure she's willing to risk that.

If she does run (and I may be horribly naive), I have a hard time seeing her getting through the primaries.

It's one thing to be a VP candidate where you're surrounded by handlers shuffling you from one major rally to another, but how does she run a campaign like that in Iowa or NH that typically requires all sorts of small intimate Q&A's and shaking hands at county fairs? Can you really succeed in those sorts of places without engaging? And what about all the debates? There were 21 debates for the Repubs in 2008. Two yrs on, it's pretty apparent she hasn't spent her time studying and working on her grasp of issues, etc. I can see her winking her way through a couple debates without a major faux pas - but 21? Not likely. Add to that all the fire directed at her from the other candidates - Gingrich alone I think could shred her to pieces - and I just don't see how she makes it through.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | July 8, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

Speaking of political ads...Sen. Reid has a new one out going after Angle's comments about how she doesn't intend to create jobs in Nevada if elected Senator.

I wonder how much money will be going into the ad buy for this one...

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | July 8, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"if Sharron Angle and Rand Paul win in November, this will be the signal for Palin to run."

It's also the signal that the USA is finished as a superpower.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | July 8, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

BGinCHI @ July 8, 2010 4:39 PM wrote: "
If she runs or crowns a like-minded candidate for '12, and they run a failed campaign, looking amateurish and getting a predictable 30% or less of the vote, then maybe the GOP moderates can get the party back and this country can get on with the business of running things like grown-ups."

I don;t mean to be facetious, but who, by now, are the GOP moderates? All I see in that party are right-wingers and extreme right-wingers. The variety of thought and ideas that used to exist has been evicted starting with Reagan.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | July 8, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

BGinCHI @ July 8, 2010 4:39 PM wrote: "

Posted by: AMviennaVA | July 8, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

AM, it's a good question. I didn't mean they were out in the open and available to take the party back. They have to develop a more evolved version of their party (which means going to the past, but hey, they're "conservatives," after all), or they are going to wrench the political world in this country into more and more extreme territory.

Posted by: BGinCHI | July 8, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Sullivan points to this post concerning proposed changes to the RNC nominating process and how it could affect a candidate like Palin who only has marginal appeal. Worth reading.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | July 8, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

What is so very interesting is that the terms most of you are throwing at Palin; "shameless megalomaniac", "essentially lazy and it's just too much work", "if Palin is ever elected president the American people will get what they deserve for not paying attention to facts, reason, basic math, and the rudiments of our political system", "Sarah Palin is a con artist, an opportunist", 'It's also the signal that the USA is finished as a superpower.", are so very easily applicable to Obama.

You guys really crack me up. It's politics for dummies. They have big egos and under the skin, they're so much the same. If it's your politician you say hooray for my guy and if it's not you say they're no good, evil etc. Get real.

Posted by: actuator | July 8, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

All, Happy Hour Roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | July 8, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

actuator, I had no idea you got to be editor of the Harvard Law Review just by showing up. Or being half black. Or being really cool.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Your comparison speaks volumes about how far you are from knowing smart from not-so-smart.

Posted by: BGinCHI | July 8, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"hey have big egos and under the skin, they're so much the same."

Maybe, but as Kos said "We laugh at our crazies, Conservatives embrace theirs. "

Posted by: schrodingerscat | July 8, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

She may run, but she'll lose badly in the primaries. Anyone who is already a known commodity and has unfavorables as high as her's can't win the nomination. What's she going to do between now and then to change the minds of the 70% who already know her and don't like her?

Posted by: converse | July 8, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The ad is mixed metaphor at its best. First there are mama grizzlies, although Sarah Palin herself looks anything but fierce in the warm, fuzzy glow of the camera. Then we end up with a room of pink elephants -- if white elephants are useless, what are pink ones? Younger versions of obsolete? And notice that there is nary a brown face in the ad (noted by FrumForum!)...are pink elephants white, overweight women? Whereas mama grizzlies are hairy and brown.

Posted by: MinnyMa | July 8, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Dear Greg, I hope for the sake of this country she does run and gets elected.

I never thought I would see a president make Crater look competent. All of you liberal types are running scared of this Lady.??
Obama Rocco, is the worst damn pres we have ever had, he's a liar and decietful as hell. How could any person vote for this man.

I can only hope that some person would confront me at a polling place,....it would be their last.

Posted by: malle10622 | July 8, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

She's a narcissist, she's a BSer, and she's a tease.

Who knows what she'll end up doing, but she's going to work it hard until she decision time.

Posted by: KathleenHusseininMaine | July 8, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

PhilipJames1, you speak of Palin's 2 million Facebook fans, yet, do you realize that over 110 million people voted in 2008? You're delusional if you think she can run via Twitter and Facebook and so are the rest of her ever shrinking base. No matter what anyone says about her running, her favorable numbers are sinking continuously and the unfavorable column is steadily rising. She does not have the ability to change anyone's mind who has stated they don't think she's qualified. We saw enough and heard enough from 2008 until today to know she is not only toxic but that she'll lead us straight into WWIII! Only an idiot like Palin would use the phrase "pink elephants"! Just another sign of her lacking in any type of well-rounded education. She has done nothing to improve her knowledge of foreign or national policy since her campaign debacle two years ago. She's still not ready for prime time or she wouldn't run and hide from the media today.

Posted by: KATE1230 | July 9, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I watched that video three times and I saw one person of color the whole time, and she was in the background... Just amazing that the Tea Party is so monochromatic.

Posted by: Owen_Truesdell | July 9, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse