GOP Senate candidate yanks video showing smoldering 9/11 site

This one is ugly.

GOP Senate candidate Roy Blunt's campaign has pulled down a Web video displaying the smoldering remains of the 9/11 attacks alongside audio of his Democratic opponent saying the location of the Islamic center should be up to New Yorkers to decide.

And now the Dem, Robin Carnahan, is going on the offensive over the issue, demanding that Blunt apologize to the families of 9/11 victims for exploiting the tragedy for political gain.

The Carnahan campaign claims it pulled the video off of Blunt's campaign Web site late yesterday, and a local blogger has now put the video on You Tube:

As you can see, the smoldering remains of the World Trade Center are the only visual in the video, and it dwells on that image for 20 seconds.

The Blunt campaign yanked the video, and Blunt says he wasn't aware it had been posted. But Carnahan is making it an issue in the Missouri Senate race, demanding an apology:

"Congressman Blunt should immediately own up to what he did, take responsibility for it, and apologize to the families of the 9-11 victims, whose tragedy he exploited for his own personal political benefit."

This illustrates that the searing national battle over the Islamic center also carries perils for Republicans. It tempts them to crassly politicize the tragedy in ways that -- with the 9/11 wound now reopened -- risk searing them, too. More when I know it.

UPDATE, 1:02 p.m.: Interestingly, even though the Blunt campaign has yanked the video showing the 9/11 wreckage, the audio of Carnahan talking about Cordoba House is still front and center on Blunt's Web site.

UPDATE, 2:05 p.m.: Blunt spokesman Rich Chrismer sends over a response blaming an unnamed staffer and acknowledging that it "did not reflect the right tone":

Regarding the audio clip of Robin Carnahan, someone got carried away. It was up overnight and quickly replaced. It did not reflect the right tone and was quickly replaced with an image of Robin Carnahan and Barack Obama. Roy Blunt opposes the Ground Zero mosque and Robin Carnahan has rubberstamped Barack Obama again by refusing to oppose it.

By Greg Sargent  |  August 19, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , Foreign policy and national security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How politically catastrophic were Obama's "mosque" comments?
Next: Poll: Most of those who think Obama is Muslim learned it from media

Comments

Can you imagine the reaction from the rightwing if Democrats were giving aid to Bin Laden like this?

This issue is al quada's wet dream. They recruit new terrorists by claiming the US is at war with Islam, the rightwing is validating those claims.

It is depressing. In one quick move the GOP is being openly anti-American AND supporting America's enemies.

Posted by: nisleib | August 19, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Plumbing the Depths of Irrelavency:

Steele Asks DOJ To Investigate Sestak

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele on Wednesday urged the Department of Justice to investigate last year's efforts by the White House to convince Rep. Joe Sestak (D-PA) to abandon his Senate campaign against Sen. Arlen Specter (D-PA).

In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, Steele wrote that the public had "heard several different versions of whether or not Congressman Joe Sestak was offered a job or appointment if he were to forgo his campaign for the United States Senate," CNN reported.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 19, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just wow. How do you run an ad implying I guess respect for the victims of 9/11 using that graphic. The disconnect is just...

I mean this is political hypocrisy of the highest order. I mean this is worthy of the Sara Palin pantheon of political hypocrisy. I mean if you want to come out and imply your opponent is an unsympathetic, anti-American terrorist sympathizer just man up and say so Mr. Blunt, that's your right and nobody is stopping you but don't imply your opponenet has no sympathy for 9/11 by having no sympathy for 9/11. That's jsut pathetic.

Posted by: zattarra | August 19, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Blunt now has the same audio running over a different image. Does using the image mean he is exploiting the tragedy for political benefit? I don't think so. The claim here by Carnahan has to be that even talking about 9/11 in a campaign ad is exploiting the tragedy for political benefit. If anything the Blunt campaign is exercising its free speech rights - in poor taste. Just like those who propose a GZ mosque/community center/Cordoba/Park 51/whatever.

Posted by: sbj3 | August 19, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The thing that really annoys me is that the GOP is using images like this and voting against providing health care for the heroes of 9/11 at the same time.

They say they are voting against it because they wanted to add an amendment saying that any illegal aliens who got sick helping at ground zero shouldn't get any health care benefits.

How crazy is that? Not only should illegal immigrants who helped out get the same health care the rest of the heroes of 9/11 get, in my opinion the government should offer them citizenship! These people are freaking heroes!

Posted by: nisleib | August 19, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What the Democrats don't seem to understand is the impact of the controversy on their leaders.

Recent history provides significant insight. During Bush's first term much was made of his putatively lack luster intelligence. The opponents of the president harped on every failing, every mistatement, every action or lack thereof.

Ultimately the second term election was based on things other than the way he walks or the way he said nuclear. But the damage to his ability to lead was done by all that harping.

And now the Democrats find themselves on the recieving end of this death by a thousand gotchas.

I won't lose any sleep over that.

But to me the republicans have no need to politicize this issue. The wounding the Democrats have taken are entirely self inflicted. All they have to do is encourage Obama, Pelosi, Reid et al to keep talking.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | August 19, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

nisleib,

former FBI interrogator Ali Soufan makes the national security argument about the heated rhetoric in Forbes. Link on the last post.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

suekzoo1 - Yeah, I read that. The guy is saying pretty much the same things I've been saying for days now.

Posted by: nisleib | August 19, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CalD | August 19, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@CalD: "Mosque mosque mosque mosque mosque mosque mosque. Lovely mosque! Wonderful mosque!"

Oh, come off it, Cal. You know you love it. This is your station fpr more mosque, less talk.

In all fairness, recent posts seem to deal mostly with Republican candidates putting their foot in it or going overboard. I can't really fault Greg for covering that stuff.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

As a 4th Generation NYer and a witness to the towers crumbling to the ground in a huge mushroom cloud of dust and debris, I am deeply deeply offended by this ad.

Every single thing the Republican Tea Party does is a disgrace to American Values.

When they aren't abusing the memory of thousands of New Yorkers, they are dividing us over race and religion. And when they aren't doing that, they are branding anyone who doesn't agree with them as Nazis. It happens ALL THE TIME nowadays. How many times have I been called a Nazi or a fascist on this board? Literally too many to count.

The Republican Tea Party has become the most anti-American force in the world, on par with Al Qaeda in their bloodlust and hatred for American values.

Palin/Bin Laden 2012.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ethan - If you think this is bad wait until August of 2012. This is what the Republicans do, every two years they find some wedge issue and they work it to death.

Apparently they've decided gay mariage is no longer I viable wedge issue, so now they've moved on to anti-Muslim hate speech.

Any guesses on who will be the target of the GOP's hate speech in 2012?

Posted by: nisleib | August 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@nisleib: "Any guesses on who will be the target of the GOP's hate speech in 2012?"

The Care Bears. And Little Orphan Annie.

Also, some are considering blaming all the nation's problems on an epidemic of Sad Eyed Hobos.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

sbj - that's my point. He has every right to say what he says. He has every right to try to exploit people's feelings about 9/11.

But it is a bit shameful and hypocritical to try to take advantage of people's feelings that the Cordoba Community Center is insensitive to 9/11 victims by then going and running an image that is insensitive to 9/11 victims. Go right ahead and play her words and let people decide what they think of them. heck, come right out and accuse her of being a terrorist sympathizer if that works for Rep. Blunt. But don't imply she is insensitive to 9/11 by being insensitive to 9/11. That's just total bs on Rep. Blunt's part.

But if you really believe that the Cordoba Mosque is insensitive than isn't the use of the footage in the video also insensitive? You know, if Ground Zero is really hallowed ground and sacred to all Americans. And not just a situation to be exploited for political gain.

Posted by: zattarra | August 19, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Ethan, I wish I had words for you other than to say I empathize with how you feel. Stay strong.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 19, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Gee that's really frigging funny Kevin.

Obviously all of this stuff is just one big joke to you. Guess what?

YOU are the joke. YOU are a fraud, Mr. Civility.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@zattarra: "He has every right to say what he says. He has every right to try to exploit people's feelings about 9/11"

Yeah, but there's a difference between "look at what terrorists did to us, and Democrats aren't doing enough" and "look at this, and now some Muslims are trying to build a community center in the very same city that a terrorist group made up of Muslim radicals did bad things. Thus, Muslims=Al Qaeda. My opponent supports Al Qaeda!"

I have less problem with the use of 9/11 footage in a political ad than I do the conflation of Park 51 with Al Qaeda.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:15 PM:

It's possible I might be getting a little punchy. I'd be tempted to suspect that might have something to do with a steady diet of mosque, mosque, mosque, mosque, mosque, mosque, mosque and mosque (baked beans are off) for going on three weeks now. But that would be to suggest that there might be such a thing as too much mosque, which is obviously ridiculous on the face of it. So perish the thought, cue the Vikings and pass the mosque!

(Vikings: Mosque mosque mosque mosque mosque mosque. Lovely mosque! Wonderful mosque! Mosque mosque mosque...)

Posted by: CalD | August 19, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan: "Gee that's really frigging funny Kevin."

Well, I can see that you've chosen sides, and you're on the side of the Care Bears. Well, when this world is nothing but rainbows and giant floating clouds in the shape of hearts, we'll remember which side you were on.

"Obviously all of this stuff is just one big joke to you. Guess what YOU are the joke. YOU are a fraud, Mr. Civility".

Ethan, I'm beginning to think you don't like me any more.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

You know, I'm sickened by Roy Blunt using this because I remember what it was like to ride the train to work every day, cross over the Manhattan bridge and EVERY day look out the window and see that pile still smouldering. For MONTHS. It was like a punch to the gut every single time I went by.

Roy Blunt doesn't give a crap about any New Yorkers. He has no idea how long the pile burned. He is perfectly content letting first responders and people exposed to that smoke suffer and die and their families go bankrupt.

He has no idea what this picture means. He doesn't care about any of the people in it. He just wants to use it to bash muslims who had NOTHING to do with any of this.

What a scumbag.

Posted by: theorajones1 | August 19, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Sue, I really appreciate it.

We Jews are pretty tough. We've survived literally thousands of years of persecution. Not even an exaggeration either, we literally have been persecuted since at least the time of ancient Egypt.

And while the Nazi stuff is really insulting and problematic, I am even more offended by the all-out attack on American Values by the GOP.

Being not just a Jew but a New York Jew makes this whole debate sound so insane. My family came to NYC over 100 years ago with literally nothing but the clothes on their backs. They were chased out of Russia by the anti-Semitic pogroms and established themselves in urban U.S.A. in a remarkably short period of time. My grandfather was born and raised in a tenement on the Lower East Side only to become a successful businessman and entrepreneur.

I *was* there on 9/11. I *did* see the towers fall. I *do* live in a very diverse community and fully support the freedom from persecution people from every ethnicity and religion deserve.

I can speak from my lifetime of experience that racial and religious diversity are THE CORE of American Values.

To witness the all-out WAR on these values by some misfit gang of political extremists -- who ironically wrap themselves in the American flag -- PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I'm beginning to think you don't like me any more"

I don't care what you think.

You are a fraud who aids and abets the kind of anti-American extremist behavior I alluded to in my response to Sue.

Keep fanning the flames, fraud. I'll keep pushing back against you and every other person who supports the clear nativism, racism, and bigotry that has been the GOP's calling card for half a Century.

Don't like it? TOUGH.

You'd better grow up and take responsibility for your political actions or shut the heck up with your BS civility scam.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The Care Bears. And Little Orphan Annie.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 1:35 PM
...................

Ethan,

This is funny.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Ethan, if you really want to see hate, try using a mirror.

This is pretty typical:
"So to see white Christian Republican Tea Party elite brainwash their followers into ethnic and religious hatred -- of Jews, African-Americans, Hispanics, and Muslims -- is literally the worst thing I have seen happen to the country I love in my lifetime."

Please point me to a statement made by a prominent Republican leader that urges other Republicans to hate members of one of the groups you mentioned. I'd be appreciative.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | August 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The Japanese were guilty of a sneak attack on our base at Pearl Harbor..slaughtering 1,000's and starting the Pacific half of WWII
How awful was that? It was an ENTIRE nation who were literally bent on our destruction.
We beat them at the cost of thousands and thousands of more great Americans and the mourning and disruption to their families.

Having been born right after the WWII I recall all the racial slurs against the "Japs" "Zippers" "Nips" (I use those words as an indictment on us not a slam at my Japanese brethren and so I hope I haven't exceeded the bounds of taste..if I have I apologize). Playing the war games with my buddies, after watching John Wayne movies we all wanted to kick the "Japs" arse. That was the 50's. That was xenophobia against a race that had literally attacked us versus say for example 19 Asians who commmitted hari kari by blowing up a U.S. Building.

By the 60's the Japanese were playing baseball and selling us cars. By the 70's we had forgiven them for WWII but were peoed that they had succeeded so well they were buying all of our real estate. By the 80's the Japanese had their own financial meltdown...by the 90's we were all this together and now in 2010 Americans look at Japanese no more askance than..(oops unless you're Sarah Palin in Hawaii) any other group in our society.

Are we angry there is a Shinto shrine very close to Pearl Harbor. If you've ever visited the Arizona Memorial you'll see plenty of Japanese on the tour as well...paying their respects. Does that shrine and the Japanese staring down into the water at the U.S.S. Arizona desecrate a site that marked a sneak attack massacre and the start of WWII?

Is it really that hard to imagine Muslims behaving the same way. OK...Sufi Muslims behaving the same way. I'm not a pollyanna or naive...yes Wahhabism is a virulent strain of Islam that has produced not just the 9/11 criminals, but jihadists around the world.

Isn't to ALL of our benefits to befriend the peace loving Sufi Muslims and direct our anger at the Wahhabbi's?

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 19, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

All, check this out: A majority of those who say Obama is a Muslim say they learned it from the media!

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Kevin:

"The Care Bears. And Little Orphan Annie."

All orphans, in fact. And puppies, except for pit bulls. They like pit bulls.

Posted by: ScottC3 | August 19, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes but did the Germans build a Mosque in Honolulu after Mel Brooks saluted them with Springtime For Hitler?

I think not, because The Germans knew that would be Insensitive, and would upset the delicate, Politically Correct, Empathetic Feelings of All Right Wing Hate Groups.

I learned that from Charles Kraut Hammer.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 19, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Liam, I know you and Kevin are buds, but making a mockery of the GOP's Southern Strategy is totally uncalled for and unacceptable. If you don't feel the same way, you are part of the problem.

Skippy, thank you for coming out in full support of the bigotry to which I've referred. Your ability to pick and choose which messages to absorb and which to subconsciously or overtly reject explains the basis for why your comments exhibit the mentality of one who is pathologically insane and a serial liar.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CalD | August 19, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

ruk: "Playing the war games with my buddies, after watching John Wayne movies we all wanted to kick the "Japs" arse."

And when you weren't doing that, it was slaughtering Indians, I'd bet.

There is really nothing new, is there?

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 19, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

CalD: "Laugh all you want about the care bears. They also made fun of people who tried to warn us about lurking menace of the Teletubbies."

And apparently, Sharron Angle has in the past a serious problem with black football jerseys....because of the COLOR...although now she can't remember anything about that......

"Sharron Angle Campaigned Against Black Football Jerseys On Religious Grounds: Color is 'Thoroughly Evil' "

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Ethan,

You asked another person to stop calling people: "Quisling", but you keep calling Kevin names that are almost as bad. Try debating on the merits of your political philosophy as compared to his, without so much name calling.

When you find that you can not laugh at a very funny, Craig Ferguson like riff, from Kevin, then it might be time to ask yourself have you become just a wee bit too rigidly doctrinaire and strident.

Lighten up please.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CalD | August 19, 2010 2:08 PM |
......................

The Teletubbies killed Jerry Falwell.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 19, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Ethan. Words cannot suffice, and I cannot honestly convey enough empathy for all that Jewish people have suffered over the ages.

Being Irish my father hated the British. Perhaps Liam still hates the British. My father was a bookie, he dropped out of school in the 7th grade. He was a grunt in North Africa through Germany in WWII. That was his first exposure to the world outside of a fairly provincial Midwestern city of Cincinnati.

When I was fortunate enough to get a scholarship to attend Long Island Univerity (Brooklyn not C.W. Post) my father warned me about the N.Y. Jews. He had filled me with horror stories about arrogance, abrasiveness etc. When I got to L.I.U. in '66 it was called L.I. Jew in NYC because of the makeup of the enrollment. Obviously I learned my father was sorely mistaken. Oh I met some arrogant Jews as well as some arrogant Gentiles..I also had Jewish friends who would have LITERALLY given me the shirt off their back if I needed it. Later in the U.S. Army I had similar experiences with African Americans. In the end I learned what should be a truly OBVIOUS lesson. The blacks, the Jews, the whites all contained complete arseholes as well as wonderful human beings in their group.

Alas we are going through the same stuff right now with Muslims. They are the flavor of the day for prejudice.

Still Ethan you know I love ya dude and I certainly respect your right to bristle at levity concerning Nazi's or the holocaust but I don't recall Kevin being flip about that. I understand it aggravates you that Kevin takes positions that you strongly disagree with. But honestly have you ever seen a post from Kevin with hate, or hostility.

I stand up for Kevin, Ethan because I like you both and respect both of your opinions although obviously I agree with you Ethan more than Kevin. Still I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to Kevin. He made me see the light. I try to constrain my use of caps to a few emphasis words instead of shouting in caps through a paragraph.
I've learned who to engage and how..politely. Kevin has helped bring a bit of civility to this blog and so he will always have my respect for that as well as my gratitude for my personal epiphany. Thanks Kevin.

And thanks to you as well Ethan for all you bring. Relax with Kevin. Yes he has a sense of humor but I don't see that as being inappropriate.

Ultimately Kevin is on our side. We NEED conservatives who are rational. I don't find Kevin to be disingenuous except when he is intentionally using snark which is rare at that.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 19, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Reading Ethan's posts is like watching performance art.

Posted by: sbj3 | August 19, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Okay, you're right.

I should lighten up about the Republican Party using the smoking burning hole of 9/11 in an advertisement.

I should lighten up about the Republican Party fanning the flames of racism and bigotry.

I should lighten up about the Republican Party meme that any opposition to their extremist views is the equivalent of genocidal Nazis.

Thanks Liam. Thanks a lot. Great advice.

The FACT is that bigotry and fear-mongering *ARE* anti-American and do more to damage this country than any bombs or planes from terrorists. Anybody who supports the overt bigotry in the GOP is an enemy of the American Values established by the Founders.

I stand by all of my comments and I repudiate -- with every fiber of my being -- the bigotry, racism, fear-mongering that folks like Kevin support with their votes.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan

I apologize for the lecture guy. :-)

And so here is how I make it up to you...with some freaking great news.

Alex Sink as jumped to the lead in the polls!

"Ms. Sink has obviously benefited form all those negative ads that have gone on between Scott and McCollum — no doubt about it," said Peter Brown, the assistant director of Quinnipiac's polling institute.

The poll also shows Gov. Charlie Crist with a relatively steady lead in the U.S. Senate race over Republican Marco Rubio. Crist would garner 39 percent of the vote to Rubio's 32 percent and Democrat Kendrick Meek's 16 percent.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 19, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see some Democrat stand up and say that anyone, be it a member of Congress, or some Tea party slob, that exploits 9/11 or shows religious intolerance towards Muslims, in doing the handiwork of OBL, and thus, providing aid and comfort to the enemy. Alan Grayson has the balls to do it, but Weiner on this issue is AWOL.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 19, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No problem RUK, you're great :)

I appreciate civility for what it's worth.

Unfortunately, when measured next to the political act of voting for Republican politicians, civility on chat boards isn't worth squat.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@filmnoia

"Alan Grayson has the balls to do it, but Weiner on this issue is AWOL."

Great point. I like both men but I must confess to bitter disappointment at Weiner.
I realize he is trying to position himself to succeed Bloomberg..but I was hoping he was ABOVE such political posturing on an issue, that as Ethan points out, should profoundly effect all Jews given the history of their own persecution.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 19, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more filmnoia, couldn't agree more.

Republican bigotry IS a serious problem and IS anti-American. There is no debating that hating people based on the color of their skin or their religious texts goes against each person's innate right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit if Happiness.

On the other hand, while these same GOP liars are quick to call anyone who disagrees with them a Nazi, the Democratic Party's views -- to which I subscribe -- explicitly supports the diversity of race and religion that are completely antithetical to what the Nazis were about.

To equate the two -- as we see people do all the time, including Liam in his post at 2:15 PM -- is beyond wrong. It is insulting and intellectually dishonest.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

As a New Yorker, I think it's totally appropriate that senatorial candidates in Missouri should have a say in what gets built where in my city. And the people of Missouri should absolutely make their decisions about which candidate to vote for on the basis of what each candidate thinks about local planning issues in New York City. That's obviously far more important than, say, how the candidates plan to bring jobs and investment to Missouri.

GFY, Roy Blount. You've always been despicable, but you've outdone yourself this time.

Posted by: RedMolly | August 19, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This is election season, so I doubt whether even Alan Grayson is going to be Graysonesque enough to call a spade a spade. Frankly, I don't think Weiner would have much to lose by speaking out. His colleague, Nadler, has already done the right thing.
This all may be a moot point, since it seems that the Muslim group that wants to build this center doesn't have the dough to do it. I say that this "issue" dies by Labor Day. The Right Wing will probably start with the gay marriage thing again, since when it comes to economic issues they are bankrupt for any new ideas.
If the GOP takes back Congress, it will not be for what they believe in, but only for the fact that we only have a two party system, where the voter doesn't have any options to vent their frustration other than to vote for the party out of power.
I predict we have a two year gridlock, Obama wins re-election, and the GOP has a great schism, much like the Dems in the 60s after the passage of the Civil Rights bill. To some extent that's already begun.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Blount made this ad is enough to turn peoples stomachs..Shows exactly what kind of candidate/elected official he would be!!!!Deplorable and despicable...

Posted by: jetlone | August 19, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Pss on Roy.

Posted by: heuristic77 | August 19, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan: "You may as well be a member of AQ for all I'm concerned. You do just as much damage with your support of the worst evils in American society."

Dude, that's awesome. If I ever write a political book, I want you to do the forward for me. Seriously.

"Keep fanning the flames, fraud."

Um, what flames?

"I'll keep pushing back against you and every other person who supports the clear nativism, racism, and bigotry that has been the GOP's calling card for half a Century."

Fair enough.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Um, what flames?"

Exactly.

My point entirely.

Btw, please don't call me Dude.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan: "Exactly. My point entirely."

??? Okay, I'm mystified.

"You are either willfully ignorant or you are intellectually dishonest. Either way, you are a fraud. Btw, please don't call me Dude."

Okay, my friend. I'll keep--er--"fanning the flames". But I won't call you dude.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"??? Okay, I'm mystified."

Let me explain.

The fact that you mock the GOP's bigoted strategies shows that you know they exist.

The fact that you read our comments about the Southern Strategy and about the racist and bigoted tactics shows that you know they exist.

The fact that the last two RNC Chairman have BOTH publicly acknowledged the existence and use of the Southern Strategy shows that you know it exists. You seem well-informed, so chances are excellent that you heard those statements by Mehlman and Steele, respectively.

You just don't mind that the Republicans pursue that strategy. You don't care.

So when you play this ruse -- "what flames" "I'm mystified" -- it just shows what I've been saying all along. Under your facade of "civility" you are actually an intellectually dishonest person just like the rest of the Republican Tea Party idiots.

It couldn't be any more clear.

"What flames"... Sheesh. What a frigging disingenuous fraud.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Some people have no shame.

Posted by: SarahBB | August 19, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Republicans say that they want to save Muslims. We went to Iraq to save Muslims.

Now, when the Muslims that we saved want to build a mosque a block from !another mosque!, they turn-on their ugly, desperate politics.

All of their positions are like this. Republicans talk about hating government and they love the power of government - they own more government spending in the last 30 years than at any other time.

GWBush won the 2000 election because of census blocks in East Tennessee where one of the largest organizations is a public, non-profit, government utility company.

Posted by: mikeVA1 | August 19, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan: "What a frigging disingenuous fraud."

I think I follow now. Well, even though we have our differences, I'm still proud to call you my friend. :)

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I really can't believe you people in New York are this tacky. How low will you go.Grow up.

Posted by: Dmacc502 | August 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Ethan said:
=================

=============

but Ethan, I asked for proof of your assertion. This isn't proof at all. It is more hate filled rhetoric. Others, people who share your POV, have asked you to change your tone. I don't much care myself because you're doing more harm to your arguments than anything else.

Asking for proof of your assertion isn't supporting the opposite of your assertion. It is just asking for proof. If you can prove that the Republican party routinely encourages its members to hate, I'd be interested. If you can't this is just more bombast.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | August 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Republicans, Conservatives, Tea Partiers, all of unscrupulous politicos have exploited and used 9/11 "hallowed ground" shamlessly for whatever suited their perceived needs, politically, in particular, posters on the big Tea Party bus during the healthcare debate.

That is all this "debate" and controversy is, political exploitation and they do not care who or what it harms. Once again, however, they expose themselves as very ugly. They hate just about everyone and everything other than themselves....how can anyone lead anything with this kind of mindset and arrested development? or lack of character?

Face it: no one disputes the freedom of religion and freedom to build a mosque. They dispute the location and they are the ones who have bespoiled that location anytime they choose for political exploitation and perceived expediency.

Posted by: nana4 | August 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Ethan, your comment at 1:51pm is endorsed by me. Very eloquent and appropro for all of us, whether we are Jewish or not. We all came from somewhere else. Thank you.

Posted by: nana4 | August 19, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

You're most welcome nana, and I thank you for the kind words.

Hopefully our strong commitment to American Values rings in the ears and minds of haters everywhere.

I hope the disdain they feel for those of us who actually support American Values is as painful for them as it is joyous for me to see the Statue of Liberty standing in N.Y. harbor -- as she has since my/our ancestors first laid eyes on the Promised Land of Freedom and Prosperity for ALL.

Quite seriously, if it wasn't for the American Values that I hold so close, none of my extended family would be here today. Thankfully, my family is extensive, successful, and engaged in all aspects of society. We had a family gathering recently and we had a moment of silent prayer in honor of our heritage both in the Old World and here in America. It was a strong moment that I will cherish and I owe my gratification, again, to the opportunities that America has provided us all.

That is why this is so personal for me. And that is why when I see Right Wingers scream "I want my country back" it is so grating. It never was THEIR country. Jews have been here since well before the founding of the country. Africans have been here since well before the founding of the country. The ancestors of Hispanic people were here for thousands of years. Native peoples were here for thousands of years...

To that woman from last year's town halls who was screaming that she opposes Obama and the Democrats and she "Wants Her Country Back"... I have news for you, lady...

IT NEVER WAS YOURS.

AND. IT. NEVER. EVER. WILL. BE.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Do you buy oil products from Islamic countries?
Shouldn’t we ban or heavily tax their oil coming into the USA?

Are YOU ready to make a sacrifice to make the USA foreign oil free?

Posted by: erik1 | August 19, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"If you can prove that the Republican party routinely encourages its members to hate, I'd be interested"

Skippy,

I mentioned the Southern Strategy in the very comment to which you are responding. That is a strategy based on hatred and fear of ethnic minorities that has gone on in the GOP for over 40 years.

There's also the GOP powerpoint presentation that explicitly said that Republican small donors react to “fear;” “Extreme negative feelings toward existing Administration;”

These are just two examples. We see more every single day, whether it is Shirley Sherrod, Terror Babies, or the "Obama Victory Mosque"...

Either you selectively or subconsciously ignore the truth -- maybe it is too painful for you -- or you are intellectually dishonest and disingenuous.

There really is no other possible explanation, but neither is that an excuse for your behavior. There *IS* no excuse for the way you people hate the diversity that has made America what it is. It is un-American and defies American Values to the core.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 19, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Rock on, Ethan!

Posted by: wbgonne | August 19, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

On one wside ot the Mosque place a Muslim gay center and on the other a home for unwed mothers and lets see how tolerent they are

Posted by: sionm | August 19, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sionm | August 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I see nothing wrong with the ad or the comments spewed by the voice over. It is a local issue and it shouldn't be built.

Posted by: cleancut77 | August 19, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

@cleancut77: "Also why no coverage about the tweet from Park 51 likening Israeli paper, Haaretz to Yiddish fables?"

Not being Jewish, I suppose I can't speak to it, but it seemed like a fairly innocuous jab, given that the paper had printed false information about Park 51 without, apparently, bothering to confirm it with anybody at Park 51.

There's a very, very large gap between, say, denying the holocaust and poking fun at a Jewish newspaper over Yiddish fables, I think.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 19, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

definitely it is true that major brands always give out free samples on health products get yours from http://bit.ly/bf1xD8 tell your friends also

Posted by: dannyblake20 | August 20, 2010 3:01 AM | Report abuse