Happy Hour Roundup

* Bold pronouncement of the day, from Jeffrey Goldberg: Bin Laden would bomb the Ground Zero Islamic center if he could, to prevent it from promoting tolerance and monkeying with his plans for a clash of civilizations.

Also from Goldberg: Opponents of the center are doing Bin Laden's bidding.

* Now Chuck Schumer is refusing to say word boo about where he stands on the Islamic center.

* And White House press sec Robert Gibbs declined to take a position on the Islamic center today, telling reporters it's a "matter for New York City and the local community to decide."

* And: Maggie Haberman rightly notes that it's fair game to press Anthony Weiner for his position, even though he doesn't have direct juristiction, because he's a frontrunner for New York mayor in 2013.

* Harry Reid keeps carpetbombing Sharron Angle with negative ads, this latest one slamming her as "too extreme" for calling the BP escrow money a "slush fund," a comment she did retract:

* The NRSC's response to the ad: Blast Reid for hypocrisy because he released this ad hitting Angle on BP liability on the same day that he pulled the plug on the oil spill liability energy bill.

Of course, Reid pulled the plug partly because the Senate GOP stood firm against it, though in fairness several conservative Dems also stood in the way.

* A new Reuters poll finds Reid has a narrow edge among likely voters, 48-44, with a whopping 74 percent in this leading-unemployment state saying the economy is their top concern.

* But: Nevada Republicans remain more energized than Democrats, which partly explains the Reid strategy of painting Angle as a terrifying whackjob extremist. Bottom line: This one is going down to the wire.

* Game changer of the day: Angle attacks Reid by claiming stimulus dollars are funding "coked-up stimulus monkeys."

* The Angle monkey attack is based on a report on the stimulus by Republican Senators that the White House aggressively fact checked today.

* Lefty bloggers join with prosecutors, cops, and Tea Partiers to launch a campaign to end marijuana prohibition.

* Would that it were so: Bernie Sanders says the failure of climate change should disappoint "every person on this planet."

* As I reported he would, Senator Mitch McConnell today walked back his suggestion that he supports repealing birthright citizenship.

* And...uh oh, trouble in Fox News paradise: Glenn Beck's comment about too much tolerance leading to "death camps" has pissed off Fox News execs and forced them to smooth things over with Jewish leaders.

What else is happening?

By Greg Sargent  |  August 3, 2010; 6:05 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , Climate change , Foreign policy and national security , Happy Hour Roundup , Senate Dems , Senate Republicans , Tea Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP Senate candidate: No abortion in cases of rape or incest
Next: The Morning Plum

Comments

On the topic of the 14th Amendment hearing, McConnell walking it back, McCain weakly supporting the hearings, but running away...a TPM reader notes:

"Credit John McCain with a keen sense of irony. Readers may recall that McCain was himself born in the Panama Canal Zone, raising the question of whether he qualified under the Constitutional standard of 'natural born citizen.'
His campaign turned the tandem of Larry Tribe and Ted Olson, whose memo on the matter helped settle the media debate.

It argued, among other things, that:
"If the Panama Canal Zone was sovereign U.S. territory at the time of Senator McCain's birth, then that fact alone would make him a "natural born" citizen under the well-established principle that "natural born" citizenship includes birth within the territory and allegiance of the United States...The Fourteenth Amendment expressly enshrines this connection between birthplace and citizenship in the text of the Constitution."

Questioning the citizenship of our fellow Americans is an ugly thing. I should have thought that Senator McCain, of all people, would have remembered that."

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

From the David Corn interview with Bob Inglis that Imsinca linked on the last thread, I really love Inglis's takeaway:

"Inglis is a casualty of the tea party-ization of the Republican Party. Given the decisive vote against him in June, it's clear he was wiped out by a political wave that he could do little to thwart. "Emotionally, I should be all right with this," he says. And when he thinks about what lies ahead for his party and GOP House leaders, he can't help but chuckle. With Boehner and others chasing after the tea party, he says, "that's going to be the dog that catches the car." He quickly adds: "And the Democrats, if they go into the minority, are going to have an enjoyable couple of years watching that dog deal with the car it's caught."

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting the see the reporting on the Missouri referendum vote on repealing HCR (it's on the ballot today). How this gets framed is going to be key, since it's a non-binding referendum.

Posted by: BGinCHI | August 3, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Greg, the link to the " launch a campaign to end marijuana prohibition" is directing to the story about McCain/Coburn's Recovery Act rebuttal

Posted by: beenjammin | August 3, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Now that BP plugged the hole and the clean up apparently isn't that major I wonder if the BP bashing might lose some of it's juice. Oil spill is old news now.

Posted by: Truthteller12 | August 3, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

beenjamming -- thanks much, fixed.

have said it a bunch of times before, but this blog really depends on all you commenters. thanks to you all, as always.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 3, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

But I thought you guys said the oil spill was Obama's Katrina? It's all over already? No formaldehyde tainted trailers or heckuva job Brownies? No useless flyovers or floating corpses?

Guess we ought to just let BP start drilling more wells miles below the surface of the ocean if it's all over ...

Right?

Posted by: cmccauley60 | August 3, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The GOP (esp Pence, who I saw interviewed about this) decried the moratorium on drilling in the gulf, so the Dems (Markey, I think) offered a bill that said they could drill if they passed safety regulations. You can drill when it's safe to do so (which should also keep companies from destroying other jobs and going bankrupt if they cause a big disaster).

Then the GOP voted against this.

It's useless. Party of NO doesn't begin to describe these people.

Posted by: BGinCHI | August 3, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

If you read or listen to nothing else today, do check out Mayor Bloomberg's speech today about Cordoba House. Just simply excellent.

Text here: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/08/03/mayor_bloomberg_on_mosque

Video here:

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

"When a reporter pointed out that the president takes positions on religious freedom and tolerance, Gibbs repeated that this is a local issue. I'd say there's no way to fairly characterize this as a local issue at this point."

Greg, I know that the media likes to bait politicians into controversial matters, seeing as it's good for their bottom line, and what not. But, there is no need for the White House to engage in a high-profile battle against the demagoguery of a vocal minority (including opportunistic politicians) who are trying to fight the building of this community center.

Why? The demagoguery is not -- at this point -- actually threatening to undermine the nation's values.

If I'm not mistaken, polls have been released showing that, despite the relatively small cadre of outspoken New Yorkers (that's probably redundant) who are objecting (with a good helping of unwanted two cents from many people outside NY who probably couldn't even locate NY on a map), most New Yorkers support the community center. Additionally, the Landmarks board has been steadfastly focused on moving the project forward, ultimately preventing the curtailment of religious freedoms.

So, WH involvement at this juncture would undoubtedly be more detrimental than constructive, because it would inflame a situation that has demonstrated no signs of potential derailment by bigotry. Also, WH involvement now would implicitly give credence to the opposition; administration engagement would intimate that the opposition is credibly challenging the project. It's not.

Furthermore, if the WH were to publicly side with the proponents of the project, would not they be undercutting notions of freedom of speech? People do have the right to be mad as hell about the project. They do not, however, have the right to limit the religious freedoms and/or speech of others.

Again, if the rights of Muslims were in danger of being abridged here, I think the expectations for WH involvement would be different. In other words, if the project were truly threatened, I would absolutely expect the President to speak up on the matter. But, again, the project is rightly progressing.

One final point: the President may be the most high-profile and powerful guardian of this nation's laws and values, but he is not the sole steward of those laws and values. This episode underscores that notion. Local politicians and officials, and everyday citizens in New York have acted to ensure that our nation's Constitutional principles are being upheld.

It is not necessary for the President to applaud their actions while inadvertently trampling on the free speech rights of others.

Posted by: associate20 | August 3, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Sue, I thought that Inglis piece was really fascinating, and I know people will call it "just sour grapes" from a loser, but I could hear the honesty of his convictions peaking through. He and I would never agree on much but I think I might be able to have at least a little respect for him. His take on Palin is below and I found it very familiar.

We had our big party this weekend and I heard quite a bit of the heated Tea Party and extreme rhetoric from a few of our more conservative friends, two in particular. I have to say though the "twenty somethings", with a little help from yours truly, set them straight. My kid has some awesome friends who keep informed and aren't shy about speaking their mind, yeah, yeah, yeah.

"Asked if there are any 2012 GOP contenders who can lead the party in a more credible direction, Inglis points to Rob Portman, a former House member who was President George W. Bush's budget director. But Portman is now running for Senate in Ohio. He's not 2012 material. What about Sarah Palin? Inglis pauses for a moment: "I think that there are people who seem to think that ignorance is strength." And he says of her: "If I choose to remain ignorant and uninformed and encourage people to follow me while I celebrate my lack of information," that's not responsible."

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca, yes, I also found the Inglis piece amazing. It wasn't "sour grapes" at all. The part about Palin was great, but what I really found remarkable was his taking inspiration from (horrors!) Bill Clinton, his one-time arch enemy:

"I remember one year Bill Clinton—the guy I was out to get [when serving on the House judiciary committee in the 1990s]—at the National Prayer Breakfast said something that was one of the most profound things I've ever heard from anybody at a gathering like that. He said, "The most violated commandment in Washington, DC"—everybody leaned in; do tell, Mr. President—"is, 'Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.'" I thought, "He's right. That is the most violated commandment in Washington." For me to go around saying that Barack Obama is a socialist is a violation of the Ninth Commandment. He is a liberal fellow. I'm conservative. We disagree...But I don't need to call him a socialist, and I hurt the country by doing so. The country has to come together to find a solution to these challenges or else we go over the cliff."

I was at my annual family reunion over the weekend, and of course, politics was on the menu. I have a few wingy cousins. For the last couple of years, I've replied to some of the more egregious email lies that make the rounds with links to Snopes or Politifact or other sources of facts. So I was really pleasantly surprised when my cousin from Kansas (a devout Catholic, and very conservative, socially and otherwise) told me that he appreciated getting the replies, and then called out his brother for spreading the crap in the first place. It warmed my heart.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

associate20, I think your analysis of the WH statement on the Cordoba House is really spot on! Thanks for that!

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's David Walker, CEO of the Peter Peterson Foundation giving a speech to the Chamber of Commerce. This is a little deep in the woods but I'm convinced from everything I've read they think they can get Social Security benefit cuts as a result of the deficit commission (I call it hamburger helper without the hamburger) under this Administration. BTW, this age extension to 70 results in a 20% benefit cut so don't be fooled. Anyway, this is the kind of BS that's being floated out there, just to keep everyone informed.

"But another footnote, this does not count the several trillion dollars that we owe Social Security and Medicare, that are not deemed to be a liability of the United States government. Even though the United States government tells you and I on our Social Security statements and in reports issued each year that those are assets and that you can count on them. And so on one hand they want to tell us we can count on them, and I believe we can because they’re backed by the full faith of the United States government, guaranteed principal and interest, but on the other hand they don’t want to call them a liability.

And if we did, which we should, then add thirty percent to G.D.P. to this number. We have to be more truthful with regard to where we are. We need to avoid creative accounting practices and we need to cease and desist on the self-dealing that goes on with regard to government activity, especially in the so-called trust funds, which you can’t trust and are not funded."

Comment by Heather over at C&L.

"As Digby noted, David Walker and the Peterson Foundation have been out on a tour which she calls the Pete Peterson Austerity Pimp Revue where they're trying to convince all of us that we need to be more worried about our national debt than getting our economy back on track.

These people really are shameless. They'll do anything to keep low information voters thinking that we have a crisis on our hands and that all of us must suffer because we can't dare to ask the rich to pay their fair share in taxes. That and they want that Social Security fund handed over to Wall Street so badly they can taste it. They're hoping they can get it done under a Democratic administration."

On a side note, a majority of people here were all in favor of this deficit commission when Obama announced it, I'm hoping some of you have re-evaluated you position.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Bravo to Bloomberg!

Posted by: bernielatham | August 3, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Opponents of the center are doing Bin Laden's bidding."

The US right wing has been inadvertently doing Bin Laden's bidding since 9/12.

Posted by: akaoddjob | August 3, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Bernie, I agree, a terrific speech from Bloomberg. I have to wonder if it resonated with any of the islamophobic crowd. Doubt it.

Are you done moving yet, we've missed you dammit.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Something to watch tomorrow, decision day for Prop. 8 here in CA. Perry v. Schwarzenegger will be momentous either way.

August 3, 2010
ANNOUNCEMENT

On August 4, 2010, the court will issue its written order containing findings of fact and conclusions of law following the court trial held in January and June of this year. The order will be e-filed in the court’s Electronic Case Filing system, and will be immediately available thereafter through ECF and PACER. Visit www.cand.uscourts.gov for details on registering for PACER. There will be no court proceeding associated with the publication of the order.

A small number of hard copies will also be made available for public review shortly after the order is e-filed in the following locations:

San Francisco Courthouse: Clerk’s Office (16th Floor) & Press Room (18th Floor)

Oakland Courthouse: Clerk’s Office

San Jose Courthouse: Clerk’s Office

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca,

If SS is already cashing in T-Bills to meet benefits, and it looks to stay that way for the foreseeable future, what's there for Wall Street to get their hands on? The reason Barry's defecit commission is going to slash benefits is because the political class does not want to pay it back.

And frankly, even if an excess of funds builds up, how can you, or more importantly, why woutustin trust any elected official not to touch it? Those funds are, and always will be, a moral hazard for any elected official. Fool
Me once...

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | August 3, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

That is, "why would you trust". My bad.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | August 3, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

McWing, I've said before we agree on this, at least it's in T bills and not an actual worthless piece of paper with the letters IOU. The Fund needs to be strengthened and protected and considering the economic situation many seniors will find themselves in the benefits need to be increased, not cut. If there is a way for Wall Street to get their hands on the money through a percentage of the fund given over to more risky investments, I believe the deficit commission will find a way. This is my line in the sand.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@Greg Re: NV-Sen Race

"Bottom line: This one is going down to the wire."

It should be noted that the 4-point lead by Reid in that poll is of LIKELY VOTERS. The lead jumps to 16-points when you are just looking at "registered" voters.

As TPM noted, the closer we get to the election, the better the "likely voter" models will be. While there is still an enthusiasm gap, it should (in theory) be absorbed by that likely voter model.

Given the trends of this race so far, and the fact that this is a 4-point lead in likely voters this far out...I think your assessment of it "going down to the wire" might prove a bit over-dramatic.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | August 3, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

lms,

I doubt the Mayor's speech resonated with the Islamophobic crowd, which is quite small.

I also doubt it resonated with the very large majority of New Yorkers, and also the American people, for whom the, say, mystic chords of memory are strong. They are not bigots.

Posted by: tao9 | August 3, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca,

I think you'll find, to paraphrase Orwell, some T-Bills to be more equal than others. Do you think the Chinese and other foreign purchasers of our massive debt did and do purchase said T-Bills without an understanding that they get paid back first? I for one, do not.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | August 3, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

tao, I did not say they were bigots, but people like Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich are calling the shots from the right on this and I don't have too much faith in their assessment of the feelings or thoughts of New Yorkers, or the rest of us for that matter.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand how this issue speaks to anything other than our long held belief in freedom of religion and treating our friends and neighbors within our borders with respect. The fear factor is loud and strong coming from the radical right and I think it undermines our principles and our faith in ourselves. Frankly, I'm getting really tired of it.

When did we become a nation that makes exceptions to freedom based upon our fear of differences we barely understand? When did it become acceptable to sacrifice our standards for the sake of our enemies? The people of New York who both want and need this center are not our enemy, they're our neighbors. While there may be some who feel threatened by this, it appears the majority of New Yorkers are more accepting than the ex-Gov. of Alaska and the former Speaker of the House.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"Do you think the Chinese and other foreign purchasers of our massive debt did and do purchase said T-Bills without an understanding that they get paid back first? I for one, do not."

McWing, if that's true and I don't know, all the more reason for us to fight it. Also, we need to remember the hand conservatives who are now screaming for extending tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans had in this bait and switch of a self funding program. I have little to no sympathy for their arguments now.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Ims: "a terrific speech from Bloomberg. I have to wonder if it resonated with any of the islamophobic crowd. Doubt it."

I doubt it, too. But more importantly, the screeching coming from the islamophobic crowd did not resonate with the whole of Americans, and particularly not with NYers.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"Bin Laden would bomb the Ground Zero Islamic center if he could, to prevent it from promoting tolerance and monkeying with his plans for a clash of civilizations."

Is that why they don't allow churches, or any other non-Muslim houses of worship, in Saudi Arabia?

Posted by: simpleton1 | August 3, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's a good day for Michigan. Pete Hoekstra was defeated in his bid to be Governor of Michigan. Halleluiah!

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

simpleton (perfect name!), why on Earth do we care what they do in Saudi Arabia? Do you want to emulate them?

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

lms,

I agree with you, of course, on the (1st Amndmt) law and the spirit of the law.

My sense of NYC folks is that the mosque is an ontological non-starter, apologies to Mayor B. They're still raw, and I know they laughed out loud at the Mayor when he prematurely pinned the TimesSq bomber on every dissafected group (anti-Obamacare!!!!) except the one everyone knew was responsible. They're getting that familiar funny feeling lately of something being jammed down their necks by their betters.

I think you way overstate the firepower of Palin and Gingrich to "call the shots" on the right. And also that if you think it is the right only that is hinky about this, you're very much mistaken.

Posted by: tao9 | August 3, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I realize that when I say NYC folks, most of you guys think: Manhattan east-side peeps.

heh

(suekzoo1, are you in the city? I expect some media to poll this issue in NYC, it will be interesting.)

Posted by: tao9 | August 3, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

sue, you must be thrilled re the Hoekstra defeat. We'll take victory where we can get it, right?

And tao, I grew up in CA and my mother's best friend was in an interment camp in Long Beach during WWII, so believe me when I say I am not blaming only the right wing for this Muslim paranoia. I am speaking for myself from the perspective of knowing where it leads and my own personal standards. I don't think however, the Palin's and Gingrich's of the world know the kind of fear and hatred they foster in impressionable people. Or maybe they do and they just don't care, I have no idea. And considering that Palin apparently has 20 million facebook fans, she is more influential than you might want to admit or than I would prefer.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi suekzoo1, no I don't want to emulate Saudia Arabia, and I'm surprised anybody would. That was actually my point, which obviously went over your head. I have no problem with downtown mosques; I question, however, whether true cross-cultural understanding will be achieved by getting the progressive, already worldly people in NYC to chill out together given that more productive results might come from getting people in the Middle East to open their minds a bit. It would be nice to see Cordoba House opening centers that welcome everyone in the places where Islamic terrorism often originates.

Posted by: simpleton1 | August 3, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

simpleton: "more productive results might come from getting people in the Middle East to open their minds a bit."

True, but we have no control over what they do, only what we do. We can set an example, lead the way, and strive through diplomatic efforts to get them to follow. Look at what it's taking to get the Israelis & Palestinians to sit down together and be accepting of each other. Meanwhile, we have to move ahead and be our best selves, and not succumb to fear.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Ims, yes, I am delighted that Hoekstra was defeated. I crossed party lines and voted for the GOP winner. State media outlets are reporting that a lot of Dems and left-leaning indies did the same to keep Hoekstra and our current AG (who joined the HCR lawsuits) off the ballot in November.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 3, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

The only problem I have with that fairly self-evident pronouncement, suekzoo1, is that it begs the question of what happens when the militants see us "set an example." I've noticed that things like that tend to royally piss them off. Whatever. It's late, good luck to everyone, here's to a better tomorrow.

Posted by: simpleton1 | August 3, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

In essence it's really up to the people of New York and I know that overall it doesn't poll that well except in Manhattan itself where it has support. I guess it's essentially up to the city but I know it's an ongoing issue nationally as well. We're having the same debate here in CA without the Twin Towers site affecting the debate, in the bedroom community of Temecula. The community where I live is quite conservative but we have churches of all faiths locally, including Muslim, and it is just NOT an issue. Maybe I'm just dense but I really don't understand that kind of discrimination and I don't know what else to call it.

"The Cordoba House, a planned 13-floor Muslim community center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, has upset families of 9/11 victims and their supporters. They claim the building would amount to a monument for terrorists.

But Islamic community leaders insist the project is about building bridges between Muslims and non-Muslims.

Community Board 1, which represents lower Manhattan, voted in favor of building the mosque in May. Most politicians who represent the area have thrown their support behind it."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/01/2010-07-01_more_than_half_of_new_york_voters_oppose_ground_zero_mosque_plan_poll.html#ixzz0vbc2sI7q

Posted by: lmsinca | August 3, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

@lmsinca : Maybe I'm just dense but I really don't understand that kind of discrimination and I don't know what else to call it.

Well, I call it shameless pandering to the jingoistic, nativist, bigoted, christianist, republican base... It is as crass and horrid at the obvious race baiting that Breitard and Faux news trade in. BTW, I don't think that Fox is racist. I just think that they engage in race baiting and embrace victimhood because they want to push the false notion that scary black people are coming for you, your jobs, your rights, your women, etc. and its good for ratings with their 98.7% white audience that don't understand white privilege and the skewed playing field that the US is for people of color. So fox is not racist, but it exploits racial tension for political and ratings gains.

Its another "Lets find a non-issue to slam the "liberals" who we have proven hate America by allowing a radical islamic mosque that houses Al Qaeda terrorists that will dance on the buried remains of the innocent americans at ground zero."

Because we all know that secretly and openly all Muslims are allied with the TERRORISTS and the Muslim Brotherhood and all of them are 24/7 engaged in radical jihad against the peace loving Americans who just happened to have killed 100k muslims in Iraq while looking for non existent weapons.

The caricature that the right has made of Obama is the chief scary black person coming to take your freedom, job, money, and priviledge.

Need I go on...

Posted by: srw3 | August 4, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Ims, did you see this at TPM on the Temecula mosque protest?

#BigotryFail: Plan To Harass Muslims With Dogs At CA Rally Collapses

In the end, the people trying to stop the construction of a mosque in Temecula, California were vastly outnumbered by the crowd welcoming the growth of the Muslim community in Riverside County. Last week, we told you about the plan by some conservatives opposed to the construction of the new mosque to show up over the weekend outside the Temecula-area Muslim group's current digs to tell those inside they weren't welcome. To prove the point, the group planned to bring dogs -- which one protester characterized as pretty much the Muslim's mortal enemy, saying that Muslims "hate dogs."

Here's how it all turned out: the anti-mosque protesters were outnumbered by pro-mosque supporters, the local tea party disavowed the protest and called it hate speech, the protester we talked to dropped off the face of the earth and only one dog made it to the planned protest.

more here: http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/08/bigotryfail_planned_rally_to_harass_muslims_with_d.php?ref=fpblg

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 4, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Because we all know that whether secretly and openly all Muslims are allied with the TERRORISTS and the Muslim Brotherhood and all of them are 24/7 engaged in radical jihad against the peace loving Americans who just happened to have killed 100k muslims in Iraq while looking for non existent weapons. I mean look at how brutal they were during the conquest of spain in the middle ages. Cordoba house is named for the city where Muslims killed Christians, after all. It doesn't matter that is was one of the largest, most prosperous, and most cultured cities in the western world at the time. [/snark]

And Obama is in league with the terrorists that are claiming that they have a right to their former homes in Greater Israel. Obama secretly hates Israel, even though he has supported Israel with the same money and political cover that all US govts have for the last 60 years. [/snark]

It also plays into the Obama is actually a jihadist Muslim, fascist, communist, Nazi, ready to deliver America to Al Qaeda and or North Korea.[/snark]

Need I go on...

Posted by: srw3 | August 4, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Hi Ims - not finished yet...lots of unpacking etc. Horrid experience. Re Bloomberg - his stand (particularly given its eloquence) is very important in that it rests upon principles so fundamental to both America and to New York and because, as a NY Jew of high profile (along with the rabbis attending) he gives a counterpoint to the coarse bigotry of this ugly racism.

On another point, I caught a bit of Matthews tonight on Hillary as possible VP (replacing Biden) for next election (apparently something of a story today that I missed entirely). I think it is a brilliant idea because 1) she's extremely competent, 2) it would effectively negate the Republican 'mama grizzly' marketing plan, and 3) it would set up the real possibility (or likelihood) of a sixteen year Dem WH run. That last point is the kicker, for me, in that I don't think the American right will have any motivation to regain its sanity outside of serious and extended electoral losses.

Posted by: bernielatham | August 4, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Associate 20, thanks so much for that. I'm not sure I agree entirely but it's certainly a well reasoned argument. My worry is that the WH's motives here aren't quite as high minded as the ones you sketch out.

And thanks for this thread, all. Great stuff, as always.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 4, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse