Happy Hour Roundup: Rand Paul campaign threatens GQ mag

UPDATE: The Rand Paul campaign is now threatening legal action against GQ magazine over its much-discussed report quoting an anonymous woman claiming Paul kidnapped her in college and forced her to take bong hits.

"We are investigating all our options -- including legal ones," Rand Paul spokesman Jesse Benton emails me. "We will not tolerate drive by Journalism by a writer with a leftist agenda."

This is the most direct denial, or response, yet from the Paul campaign to the allegations in the article, though the campaign has not yet said flat out that the allegations are false. The article quoted a woman who was identified as a former teammate with Paul on the Baylor University swim team recounting this about Paul and another student:

"He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door, and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits. They'd been smoking pot."

The author of the piece, Jason Zengerle, is a longtime writer for The New Republic, and few would mistake him as a "leftist," though that's probably how he's seen by conservative Republicans. I've reached out to Zengerle for comment.

UPDATE, 8:56 p.m.: GQ Editor-in-Chief Jim Nelson dismisses the Paul campaign's threats in a statement:

"We've vetted, researched, and exhaustively fact-checked Jason Zengerle's reporting on Rand Paul's college days, we stand by the story, and we gave the Paul campaign every opportunity to refute it. We notice that they have not, in fact, refuted it."

* Are Dems all in this together? DNC chair Tim Kaine warns skittish Dem candidates against running away from the Obama agenda, arguing they risk dampening excitement for Dems overall.

* Jonathan Cohn on why public employees are "the new Welfare Queens."

* Discourse-elevating issue of the day: House Dems push back hard against GOP claims that they're ducking town hall meetings this summer.

* CNN's Candy Crowley: On gay marriage, the White House is "dancing on the head of a pin." Yup -- it's not sustainable.

* Right wing media, determined to reestablish their credibility after the Andrew Breitbart fiasco, launch an all-out assault on Michelle Obama's vacation.

* Is Islamophobia the new anti-communism?

* One other consequence of the conservative base's rising anti-mosque ire: GOP 2012 presidential hopefuls are already falling all over themselves to outdo one another in anti-mosque fervor.

* Who says he's a bigot? The top Cordoba House foe in New York says he has lots of friends who are Muslims.

* House Dems are also ratcheting up the pressure on Obama to appoint Elizabeth Warren.

* And Sharron Angle may be telling right-wingers she's rebuffing contributions from corporations that back gay rights, but in reality, a new Center for Responsive Politics report finds she's taken thousands from employees of gay-friendly companies.

What else is happening?

By Greg Sargent  |  August 9, 2010; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , Foreign policy and national security , Happy Hour Roundup , Political media , Senate Republicans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sharron Angle camp clarifies "First Commandment" claim: Obama thinks he's "all powerful"
Next: The Morning Plum

Comments

Weigel:

"Anyway, the real question is obvious: Does Rand think the Civil Rights Act prevents restaurants from discriminating against worshippers of Aqua Buddha?"

Posted by: sbj3 | August 9, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

sbj -- that Weigel guy is pretty funny. Good blogger, too.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 9, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Rand Paul's people are threatening legal action...but not denying the story. So what will they sue over, embarassment?

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 9, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

This is the most direct denial...

_____________________________

Which is to say, they have not directly denied any of it.

Posted by: lostinthemiddle | August 9, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Statements from Reid regarding his cult membership:

• Harry Reid Has Said, “I Don’t Think You Can Separate Your Religion From Your Politics, Its Part Of Your Personality. It Is Part Of Who You Are.” (Tyson Snow, “Sen. Reid Explains Mormonism And Liberal Agenda,” BYU NewsNet, 2/24/01)
• Reid Has Said, “I Also Say That My Faith And Political Beliefs Are Deeply Intertwined. I Am A Democrat Because I Am A Mormon, Not In Spite Of It.” (Harry Reid Speech At BYU, 10/9/07) Reid Said That He Hoped People Followed The Teachings Of The Church In Order To Create A Better World.
• Harry Reid: “I bear testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ – the foundation for the blessings we now enjoy laid by the young boy and assassinated Prophet Joseph Smith and with certainty, I testify of Gordon B. Hinckley as our modern day prophet. It is finally my plea and prayer that we will follow the teachings that we know to be true, and in so doing create a better world.” (Harry Reid Speech At BYU, 10/9/07)
• Reid Said, “But Regarding The Republican Primary, Let Me Say In Passing, I Hope That Mitt Romney’s Presidential Bid Is Determined By His Political Stands, And Not His Religion.” (Harry Reid Speech At BYU, 10/9/07)

Posted by: Truthteller12 | August 9, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

@Greg: Gutfeld is pretty hilarious, too:

"As an American, I believe they have every right to build the mosque ... In the spirit of outreach, I've decided to do the same thing.

"... I am planning to build and open the first gay bar that caters ... [to] Islamic gay men. To best express my sincere desire for dialogue, the bar will be situated next to the mosque Park51, in an available commercial space ... As you know, the Muslim faith doesn't look kindly upon homosexuality, which is why I'm building this bar. It is an effort to break down barriers and reduce deadly homophobia in the Islamic world."

Posted by: sbj3 | August 9, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Rand just lost the Christian Reconstructionist vote. Too bad. That could be the difference. The question is will he gain any ground with the Acqu Buddha constituency?

I wonder if Greg is as offended about actual idol worship as he is about a candidate who is concerned about it?

Posted by: Truthteller12 | August 9, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Today's Republican Tea Bag Party:

To many conservatives, almost everything is a secret liberal plot: from fluoride in the water to medicare reimbursements for end-of-life planning with your doctor to efforts to teach evolution in schools. But Conservapedia founder and Eagle Forum University instructor Andy Schlafly -- Phyllis Schlafly's son -- has found one more liberal plot: the theory of relativity.

If you're behind on your physics, the Theory of Relativity was Albert Einstein's formulation in the early 20th century that gave rise to the famous theorum that E=mc2, otherwise stated as energy is equal to mass times the square of the speed of light. Why does Andy Schlafly hate the theory of relativity? We're pretty sure it's because he's decided it doesn't square with the Bible.

The Republican Party hates... Albert Einstein??? REALLY???

I mean, cmon people.

The GOP has gone completely over the edge of reality. You simply cannot be a Republican today without believing in fiction over fact in examples too numerous to list. It only takes one second of rational thought to discount the GOP as deceitful, dangerous extremists.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 9, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

"Is Islamophobia the new anti-communism?"

Are you seriously asking that now, in 2010? This has been a true statement for 8 years now.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | August 9, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

An online video shows Sarah Palin engaging a protester in front of a banner that calls her the "WORST GOVERNOR EVER."

The video shows Kathleen Gustafson telling Palin she wanted her to honor her responsibilities as governor, but Palin quit "when cash was waved" in her face.

Palin responds: "Oh, you wanted me to be your governor. I'm honored. Thank you."

Idiot!

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 9, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

dear theorajones.

Which dive bar is that?

Oh, you're just a liar.

I live at the intersection of nassau and wall st.

No shame, you sick liar.

Posted by: docwhocuts | August 9, 2010 1:16 PM |
===============================

I saw this earlier. For the record, New York Dolls is one block north of 61 Park Place, at 59 Murray Street. You can google their website, if you like, docwhocuts.

Frankly, I preferred the Raccoon Lodge, just a plain old dive bar a little further north, back when I lived in NYC.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 9, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Haha!

Apparently, in the video, Palin ROLLS HER EYES when the woman says she is a TEACHER!

WOW. She hates TEACHERS?! WTF?

Way to lock up the female vote. Way to lock up the parental vote. Just wowwww.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 9, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I understand both Jay Leno and David Letterman has given money for Rand Paul's campaign.... Because if elected, both are Guaranteed 6 years of great jokes...

Since Clinton & Bush left office, Obama has been a dud for joke writers, and their ratings are down...

So, please support Rand Paul - DO IT FOR JAY AND DAVID!!!!

Posted by: WVUWEIRTON | August 9, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

all, what's the argument about dive bars about?

I lived in Manhattan for awhile. Maybe around 25 years or more. And I've been to a few dive bars on that island. What are we trying to figure out?

talk of dive bars and Manhattan makes me nostalgic.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 9, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

"all, what's the argument about dive bars about?"

Someone in the earlier thread about the Cordoba House made a comment about the dive bars near Ground Zero and this docwhocuts basically called him a liar and said there were no dive bars in that area.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 9, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ethan2010 writes:

-----------------------------------

Hey Ethan, the video is on YouTube. Is it too much to ask that you take a quick look yourself before posting some hearsay silliness? "Apparently" so. Typical.

Posted by: pyellman | August 9, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The public employee, new welfare queen article indicates that conservatives are making it a wedge issue? Funny, because most cops and firefighters are conservative Republicans? Go figure!

Posted by: dozas | August 9, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

By the looks of this greg sargent guy (that nobody has heard of) he may want to put the bong down. They attack a guy like rand because they know they are going down hard. HARD!!

Posted by: haycreekllc | August 9, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Ethan, yes, she rolls her eyes. It's disgusting. She's so freakin phony, although the video was a little oversold.

Posted by: SDJeff | August 9, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

pyellman, I watched the video and not only did she give a knowing look (eye roll) at her daughter but really smirked about the fact that the woman was a teacher. I guess all teachers, except those in her family, are lefty socialists or something. She and her daughter were both jerks in that video AFAIC, totally clueless about how to have a meaningful conversation with someone who happens to disagree with you. They were quite rude I thought until the end where she made an effort to say they had something in common, both having family fishing businesses and what not. And of course now she's whining about the LSM on her facebook page, with a link to the video, completely trying to pretend she didn't do it (she's the victim). She's a piece of work.

Back to my Palin boycott.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

So Rand has a problem with free speech? Hmmm, Baylor to Duke Medical School sounds pretty elite to me.

How should we construe "we won't tolerate drive by journalism by a writer with a leftist agenda". Ahh maybe a new constitutional amendment stripping the citizenship of all journalists with a leftist agenda. Yeah that would take care of the left wing trash. Free speech for the far right only.

Posted by: chucko2 | August 9, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a Supreme Court case about this? The "bong hits for Aqua Buddha" case?

Posted by: DDAWD | August 9, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DDAWD | August 9, 2010 10:19 PM
✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆✆

Now THAT is funny.

Posted by: Geopolitics101 | August 9, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, have never, ever rolled my eyes at a sweet ("your precious bible") dedicated (union rep, I'm bettin'), tolerant (Palin charmed her a wee bit at the end) teacher or anyone...except my mom, uh...my wife maybe once, cops with their back to me a few times, my commie Comp/Econ prof (I actually laughed out loud at that guy), Sen. "Kiki" Gillibrand, and for awhile there every two or three days at another televised Obama healthcare speech.

Oh, yeah, my eyes literally do Eskimo/Kayak Rolls here at about 99.9% of the chassé-croisé Palin commentateur il marchait à l'obsession.

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I can't get over the comments in this yahoo posting about this white guy attacking blacks and hispanics in VA. Here are some comments on top.

1) This man is not a serial killer he is a crimestopper and a hero. Keep up the good work.

2) GOOD GRIEF...why in the world would anyone want to find them...they are doing the LORD of AMERICA's work.

3) (we in the christian community are praying for your continued evasion from authorities) keep up the good work.

Blows my mind how sites like Yahoo allow for hate speech. Isn't this kind of talk hate speech or?

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 9, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

...talk of dive bars and Manhattan makes me nostalgic.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 9, 2010 8:49 PM
=========================

Me too, although my favorites were in the lower East Side (e.g. Sophie's, A2).
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 9, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey!

Looks like Ms. Gustafson might be some kinda activist that "Testified in opposition to {Alaska} HB 35" on 3/9/09.

Whatever could the 2009 Alaska House Bill 35 be? And why might this Ms. Gustafson (if she be the "teacher") be in oppo?

The Plot Coagulates!!11?!

developing...

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@haycreekllc You are our winner!!!

Ding...ding...ding...yes folks we have found the most useless post of the day...

Brilliant. Intellectual. We're all sooo impressed. You wish to disparage Greg and you're such an idiot you don't even realize what you've written. (that nobody has heard of)...LMAO meaning haycreekllc you are a NOBODY!!! LMAO AGAIN!!!

We always enjoy posts that are not only totally devoid of fact but say absolutely nothing of value...do you suppose haycreekllc anyone gives rat's arse what you think of how Greg looks.
Wow way to elevate the thread!!!

Ohhh but I forgot...your a Rand Paul supporter...that's why you are unable to post anything of intellectual value...you're a moron!!!!

The only person dumber than you on this site is me for bothering to respond to this crap as if a goober like you had enough of a brain to comprehend anything anyway.

I know...don't feed the trolls...especially the semi-literate (I think I'm actually being overly generous to refer to haycreekllc as even semi-literate)ones.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 9, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 10:53 PM
====================================

You spelled common tater wrong, elitist!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 9, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

tao, I'm sure the parental consent bill had everything to do with Palin's attitude toward teachers. What? Hey if she wants to treat people in the state she governed for a short time that way, no problem. Hopefully, she's not running for anything because most teachers probably won't appreciate the snarkiness or maybe it's just some kind of inside joke we're all missing.

Would you vote for her if she were running?

Posted by: lmsinca | August 9, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

lms,

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Ifya,

I KNEW you and oddjobby were SadlyNo'ers! I can smell teenage pixels.

Greg, we need a curfew @ PL.

{{{gigsnargle}}}

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

tao, my faith is restored. How's the weather? We've had a terrifically cool summer by our usual standards. We're enjoying it and the AC's been off except for about a week in July I think. Aug. and Sept. may heat up though. I've been swimming almost everyday but the water's a bit cold.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 9, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"* Adam Serwer wonders why folks who are opposing Cordoba House solely out of sensitivity to 9/11 victims aren't denouncing campaigns against mosques hundreds of miles from Ground Zero."

You know what's missing from this picture, where are the offended victims? Is this the right telling them they are too stupid to know their offended?

Posted by: soapm | August 9, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

lms,

Hottest July in awhile in the NYCapDist. Just got back from Lake Placid (I think it's like a mini Estes Park)--played 11 games of (42yrs plus bracket) lacrosse in five days...vertical but walkin' real slowwwww.

Congrats on the CSM gig for your girl!!!

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh...
If the natty worms at GQ oppo my college days I'm scrood.

Posted by: tao9 | August 9, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, she's in Utah tonight and rolling in to Golden tomorrow. Found a cute little one bedroom about 6 inches from campus that used to be a church. They're shipping her off to France next month for some crazy research for about 8 days so it's all become real now.

Try an ice pack, lol. That's why I'm a swimmer I guess, but then I'm older than you also.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 9, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Randy fan, but that GQ piece seemed like a hit job to me, unless there's more to the story.

Posted by: lmsinca | August 10, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Saber rattling by Rand. Doesn't deny the story but threatens. Hmmm a trend with him?

Posted by: Shingo56 | August 10, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

lms,

The above was my bracket, not my age, I play down w/ the puppies...thats why I'm a bit torn up. My Iroquois bros swim before and after every game (it's part of the game's "medicine"), so you got the right idea re: rejuvenation by water.

The France thing sounds sweet, I'm really happy for y'all.

Posted by: tao9 | August 10, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

That snip was the story on Rand Paul?

That's it?

It was funny. Jeesh, you'd think no one posting comments had gotten high before. Remember, younger days, having fun, college and all.

If the stories true, she doesn't sound like she took it badly or was really treated badly. College kids do worse things when they aren't high.

Posted by: win1 | August 10, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Hm. A conservative, second-generation politician from Texas with an affinity for Secret Society high-jinks, smoking pot, and not finishing what he has started? We’ve never see that before.

Posted by: zoezoe123 | August 10, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

No one knows who you are! Which is why I'm commenting on your blog!

Anyway, if Rand Paul's non - denial denial is any indication, and there is in fact, some real "there" there, I think a Rand Paul - Antoine Dodson "snatching your people up" mash - up is inevitable. The meme stars are aligned.

Posted by: michael_conrad | August 10, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

"We will not tolerate drive by Journalism by a writer with a leftist agenda."
Ha, ha, and ha.
To the quasi-libertarian Paul people, anyone who doesn't share their pro-biz, anti-gov't, ultra-right ideology has a 'leftist' agenda.
Unfortunately, Paul will win in November, joining McConnell to give KY the most pernicious combo in the Senate.
Paul will make sane people yearn for the good old days of Bad Boy Bunning, not bright but predictable.

Posted by: ctenwith | August 10, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse

I see a new campaign slogan: "Bong hits for Rand"

Really, but aren't bong hits

Posted by: WPL22 | August 10, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Another lie by the liberal press - remember when they did theis to George Bush and got caught. Looks like the Washington Post will be apologizing (and maybe giving money to) Rand Paul in a few days!

Posted by: Realist201 | August 10, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

"And Sharron Angle may be telling right-wingers she's rebuffing contributions from corporations that back gay rights, but in reality, a new Center for Responsive Politics report finds she's taken thousands from employees of gay-friendly companies."

Foolish comparison. I need not explain.

Posted by: kfed | August 10, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Rand will always have the restricted lunch counter and country club set -- unless he inhaled.
Just another RepubliKKKan showing his respect for women.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | August 10, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Zengerle apparently didn't learn much in J-school. Unnamed sources for a story are the hallmark of Yellow Journalism. But then a gain, GQ isn't a news source...

Posted by: illogicbuster | August 10, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Has it all occurred to you that people do the dumbest things when they were in college??!! We all did some dumb things in college.

This article about what Rand Paul did? SO WHAT?!

Posted by: robund | August 10, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

If the teabaggers can't come up with better quality than Paul and Palin, fewer will come to the party.

Posted by: areyousaying | August 10, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

All, morning roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 10, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Farmers are the real welfare queens. They don't just get paid for not working. They also have federal employees from the Department of Welfare (d/b/a the Department of Agriculture) visiting them to see if they're collecting all the farm welfare they can.

Posted by: Garak | August 10, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I sure do hope the Democratic candidates listen to Tim Kaine about not running away from the Obama agenda. Rand Paul will be one of the benefactors of this advice.

The attack on Dr. Paul is typical of how desparate the Democrats are this fall. Anonymous charges are usually spurious and fictitious.

Posted by: alance | August 10, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

The Rand Paul Aqua Buddha story has a witness and Paul has not directly denied the story. This makes the story more credible then the teabagger urban legend about Obama's Kenyan birth certificate.

Posted by: Miss_Fedelm | August 10, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Is Islamophobia the new anti-communism?"

You mean, the thing that, in retrospect, turned out to be the 100% correct position, but nobody on the left would admit it at the time?

Could be.

BTW, the lack of denial in the Rand Paul case is mystifying. Even if 100% true, there can't be any evidence of the event, so many years on. Why they wouldn't just issue a blanket denial . . . that makes no sense. If a certain compulsive not-lying is hardwired into his libertarian instincts (and I think it is), he's not going to make it in politics.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 10, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Rand Paul: Yet another Tea Potty member a couple of leaves short of a full cup.

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | August 10, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Right wing media, determined to reestablish their credibility after the Andrew Breitbart fiasco, launch an all-out assault on Michelle Obama's vacation."

Really? That's going to reestablish their credibility? With all of the problems facing this country? With everything happening in Congress? With all of the serious controversies? With an election three months away? With two wars going on? The Right Wing media attacks the President's wife about a vacation? This make them look more like the fools that they are than anything previous. They're a bunch of hacks and loosers.

Posted by: Lefty_ | August 10, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

This is probably as big a story as finding out Rand didn't graduate from Baylor, even though he has an MD degree from Duke and was admitted early without needing to finish his BA. Grasping at straws I tells ya . . .

Posted by: fla-voter08 | August 10, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone checked HIS birth cert?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | August 10, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Mr. Sargent, what stories did you not report or hide from the public just to protect then Senator Obama?

Are you one of the JOURNOLISTS?

Posted by: mightythor24 | August 10, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, Jason Zengerle, Neocon nitwit, who criticized Wilson and Valerie Pflame for casting aspersions upon Cheney and Bush. If you trust this guy and anything he has to write, you're an idiot. This doofus has a track record of delusion and fabrication that ought to simply embarrass the peanut gallery into silence on the Paul report. There isn't one shred of evidence and absolutely no reason to believe even word of that muck.

Before siding with the devil, it pays to know what he intends for you: http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_michael__051031_tnr_s_jason_zengerle.htm

Surprise! A Neocon agent attempts to discredit a Tea Party type because the Tea Party is a threat to the treasonous vermin that composes the current Republican leadership. Can't you just smell the Wall Street money behind this????

Posted by: mibrooks27 | August 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Glenn Greenwald was calling Jason Zengerle a liar a few years ago:

Posted by: tomtildrum | August 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe we're still concerned about marijauna.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 10, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to these JournoList scumbags, we know more about Rand Paul's college days then we do Barack Obamas.
I suppose if Ran Paul had written a book chronicling his life in which he says he snorted 8-balls of cocaine and drank whiskey out of jelly jars given to him by black power, child molesters, then these JournoList punks would have left him alone.

Posted by: OxyCon | August 10, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

How very libertarian--- wouldn't want to have courts stepping in to squelch free speech or anything like that, being a devoted libertarian who doesn't think that courts should even be empowered to stop discrimination..........paul is a first rate stooge, and is the poster child fro todays republicon tea bag party.

Posted by: John1263 | August 10, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Rand Paul is just another in a long line of privileged, blustering right wing bullies. they usually shutup when someone stands up to them. This shows a side of him that's more "accessible" than his more arcane forming of a medical society because he didn't want to get recertified in his specialty. He's probably just another in the long line of coddled screw-ups that has included McCain and our most recent previous president.

Posted by: thebuckguy | August 10, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It is funny how a guy whose mantra is "mistakes happen" while justifying limited victim compensation for oil disasters and mine explosions is quick to run to the legal system when it is his own tail on the line.

Posted by: good1 | August 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Why are Palin, Angle, and now Rand Paul always threatening the media for telling the truth about their personal history and political gaffes. It seems that all three of them have been worshiping the Aqua Buddha for many years now, whatever it is.

If you listen really carefully to each of them, you will hear all of that gibberish that each of them seems to only speak and understand. This is what happens to folks who worship the Aqua Buddha.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | August 10, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone keeping track of the plummeting Washington Post stock price? It is amazing they didn't learn from Newsweek - big, expensive headquarters for pampered liberal liars is not a a good business model? Go figure!

Can't wait to read the layoff announcements at WaPo. It is like reading a story about Journolist!

Keep punching Rand and Angle - incite the base!

Posted by: Cornell1984 | August 10, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Aawwwww....Mr. Paul got whacked by "liberal" journalism.....Poor baby....Maybe now he'll stop with his conservative teabag propaganda.

Posted by: swatkins1 | August 10, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I find it ironic that Paul would threaten to sue but doesn't deny the fact it happened. Add to the mix of calling people names.

Judging from his various comments in regard to the legal system, he was pretty quick to do it for himself but when it applies to others, deny it.

That's goes to show you that he's not stand up and take owneership guy.

Posted by: beeker25 | August 10, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Which is to say, they have not directly denied any of it. "

Well, Obama hasn't directly denied he's a socialist has he?

Posted by: Skeptic1 | August 10, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

A c'mon, the writer has a leftist agenda AND paul was a bong molestor. Why is it that people can't see both sides if this as being true?

Posted by: jontomus | August 10, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

As always its not what he did that will cause this to hurt him, its the denials. I see this as a trap left for a simpleton and he took the bait.

Any seasoned politician would have kept his mouth shut and just issued denials, whether it was true or not. But no, Rand has to have it both ways, no denial and a threat to sue.

Just goes to show the tea party is no party, no organization, no central platform. Just a bunch of nut case conservatives who the republicans won't even associate with.

Reminds me of a Bill Cosby joke: A kid in shop class brings in a bullet and puts it in the smelter furnace. He tells the other kids who chuckle, then the bullet explodes, BOOM! All the kids chuckle. The teacher says: "Ya know, putting a bullet in the furnace reflects on your mother. She must be pretty low down and rotten to have raised a kid who did this." The kid breaks down and says: "I didn't put the bullet in the furnace and stop talking about my mother!"

Rand is threatening to sue but not denying. I wonder how long he will string this out before he realizes it is not going to help him.

Posted by: Fate1 | August 10, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

The allegation sounds too weird to be false. But maybe that's the genius of it.

Posted by: mypitts2 | August 10, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

This is all an admitted hoax. Google "Rand Paul Hoax" to get the facts.

Posted by: scum_at_the_post | August 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse