Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Will Glenn Beck rally help Dems tar GOP as extreme?

It isn't every day that Democrats go out of their way to hype Glenn Beck's activities, but Dems think the Beck rally scheduled for this Saturday -- on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech -- gives them an opportunity to push the line that the GOP is hostage to intolerants and extremists.

Dems are gleefully noting to reporters that Beck intends to rally the faithful from the Lincoln Memorial -- the very spot where King gave his speech 47 years ago. And with turnout estimates running as high as 300,000, Dems say they hope they can wrest some political advantage from what they hope will amount to a massive show of Tea Party force that's rife with ugly Obama-bashing.

Though there are good reasons to wonder how effective it is, Dems have doubled down on a strategy of relentlessly elevating Tea Party whack-jobbery to turn moderates independents against the GOP. Several Dems cheerfully noted to me this morning that a raucus Tea Party rally staged on the anniversary of one of the turning points in the Civil Rights movement can only help in this regard.

To buttress the case that the rally is bad for the GOP, Dems are circulating a report in this morning's Post claiming that officials with the Republican party committees are distancing themselves from the rally:

"In general, people coming to Washington, being organized and active is a good thing," said Doug Heye, a spokesman for Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele.

"But I gotta be honest with you -- I don't know about any Glenn Beck event."

Given the awful job numbers and the nation's other myriad problems, it's hard to imagine that using the Beck rally to tar the GOP will do much to alter the Dems' electoral fortunes. But the sight of Beck trying to coopt the legacy of King while crazed Tea Partyers bash the first African American president in the ugliest of terms may well go down as an iconic moment in the history of this movement.

UPDATE, 1:06 p.m.: The DNC's Hari Sevugan goes after the RNC:

What is it about Glenn Beck events that the RNC is so worried about? Is there something that occurs at tea party rallies that they don't want to be a part of? We're certainly curious, as I'm sure are Glenn Beck and his tea party cohorts.

UPDATE, 1:50 p.m.: The DCCC's Ryan Rudominer also responds:

"Republicans for well over the past year have firmly embraced the tea party and some of these right-wing fringe groups that Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin have rallied around, and these are becoming serious campaign liabilities in the general election. The fact that they're trying to plead ignorance is just completely absurd."

By Greg Sargent  |  August 26, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Tea Party  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reporter: Blue Dog Dem joked that Pelosi might "get sick and die"
Next: Sharron Angle ad paints Obama-Reid-Pelosi as tragic love triangle

Comments

Supposedly, Beck has told his rally attendees that no signs of any kind are allowed. We'll see how that works out.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The Secret Service imposes a "no signs (on sticks)" rule.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

300,000?

If the past has shown us anything it is that if 3,000 show up Fox will tell us turnout was 3 million.

Regardless, the Democrats won't be able to push this narrative because the Dems don't have the message discipline or the mighty Wurlitzer of the right. The Dems might huff and puff, but the coverage on Drudge will be all rainbows and puppy kisses; so the media won't report on it.

I'd love to be wrong about this...

Posted by: nisleib | August 26, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

300,000 people...LOL!

Beck'll get no where near that.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | August 26, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Will Glenn Beck rally help Dems tar GOP as extreme?"
---------------------------------------------

I gotta figure it couldn't possible hurt.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I think you may be missing a close tag for boldface in your main post. It's turned the comments section bold as well.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"The Secret Service imposes a "no signs (on sticks)" rule."

Got a link to that, Jake, or did you make it up?

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I take Glenn Beck at his own words:

“I’m a rodeo clown,” he said in an interview, adding with a coy smile, “It takes great skill.” [...]

He added later: “I say on the air all time, ‘if you take what I say as gospel, you’re an idiot.’“

Posted by: lmsinca | August 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

It is laughable that Glenn Beck is taken seriously. Worse, that he is even mentioned in the same breath as MLK. If you compare their accomplishments, it's a joke (see what I mean here http://bit.ly/bs5DPm). In truth all Beck is doing is promoting his celebrity and his books, thus building his wealth. And the Tea Partiers & GOP? They are willing dupes to help him, and they get nothing but the deserved ridicule and derision from having a frat boy and morning zoo DJ their intellectual and spiritual leader.

Posted by: dh1976 | August 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Cal, comments look normal here. ??

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Will?

Will?

Will?

Will Jennifer Aniston every find marital bliss?

Will The Coyote finally catch The Road Runner?

Will that put Acme out of business, leading to massive layoffs?

Will additional Tax Cuts, help find Amelia Earhart?

Will Old Geller's Plastic Surgeon be able to disguise The Ugly American?

Posted by: Liam-still | August 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Great...another wave of angry white folks weeble wobbling in to voice their anger about whatevah. Hope dey don't be scuured of the black folks on the metro!

morons...

Posted by: LABC | August 26, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"And with turnout estimates running as high as 300,000..."
---------------------------------------------

Anyone want to start a pool? I'll take 20k.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@ suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 1:02 PM:

Ah, yeah. Much better.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Comments look bold for me, also. I actually like how they look, so I vote for letting them stay like that.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 26, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The Republican Tea Party's anti-intellectual, anti-history, anti-fact bloodlust is literally mind-boggling.

If it wasn't for Fox News twisting people's easily-warped minds, Beck and Palin would be lucky to work at a gas station or the local diner.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 26, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Future Headline.

Glen Beck rally draws gathering of half a million cranks.

Back home, kids run wild all over lawns, with no one around to yell at them.

Posted by: Liam-still | August 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I take offense to the statement that the "crazed" Tea Partiers who bash our first Afro American president are racially motivated. Race has nothing to do with the fact that our current president is ineffectual and incompetent along with his White House staffers. Most of our senate and congresspeople are clueless, incompetent and many just plain dishonest!!! That's why the Tea Party is gaining momentum and the Glenn Beck rally will attract an estimated 300K people.

Posted by: SweetPea48 | August 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

everything after the second graf of the closing wapo quote is bolded for me too, including comments. i'm using firefox...

back o/t: the xenophobia and bigotry will eventually hurt the republicans. the question is, when? before or after the elections?

if before, they won't do as well as they expect and will go crazy. if after, they will still go crazy. crazier.

Posted by: blahgblogwordpresscom | August 26, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Democratic Congressman Bright Hopes Pelosi Might Die.

He suggested, jokingly he insisted to his audience, that Pelosi could fall ill and die in coming months. That remark drew laughter from the crowd.

Posted by: robtr | August 26, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@ suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 1:01 PM:

I think it may be Beck himself saying no signs of any kind allowed. I haven't seen anything official but it would make sense that he might not want his people showing up with their Obama in blackface signs for this one. He is a showman after all.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

actually, the bolding is now off

Posted by: blahgblogwordpresscom | August 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

* Tea Party Guide to DC: Stick to 'Safe' Parts of City *

Here, according to a post on the Maine tea party website, is what rally attendees should know:

DC's population includes refugees from every country, as the families of embassy staffs of third world countries tend to stay in DC whenever a revolution in their homeland means that anyone in their family would be in danger if they went back. Most taxi drivers and many waiters/waitresses (especially in local coffee shops like the Bread and Chocolate chain) are immigrants, frequently from east Africa or Arab countries. As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions. It's rare to meet anyone who gets really offended, but you can still be aware of the issue.

The post then explains, "Many parts of DC are safe beyond the areas I will list here, but why chance it if you don't know where you are?"

It describes the city's predominantly African-American and low-income neighborhoods as ones to avoid and recommends Metro lines that it says are safe (Red) and ones that are not (Green and Yellow).

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/tea-party-guide-to-dc-stick-to-safe-parts-of-city/19604877

THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!

AFRICAN IMMIGRANTS!

POOR AFRICAN-AMERICANS!

MUST BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS! IN FACT DO * NOT * ASSOCIATE WITH BLACK PEOPLE PERIOD!

Just insane.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

CalD: "I think it may be Beck himself saying no signs of any kind allowed."

I know Beck himself banned the signs. It's written into the rules on the rally website. Rachel or KO (I forget which) covered this last week.

"We request that you not bring the following:

• Signs political or otherwise

http://www.glennbeck.com/828/

I'm just curious why Jake is trying to bring the Secret Service into this.

How 'bout it, Jake. You made that up, didn't you.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | August 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"The Secret Service imposes a "no signs (on sticks)" rule."

Why? Did you get word that Obama was going to be appearing at Beck's rally? Because other than that I can't understand what the Secret Service would have to do with anything. Security at the Lincoln Memorial is handled by the National Park Service.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

tintin at sadly no has a good take on the rightwing islam baiting orgy:

My Last Post On the Damn Wingnut Brouhaha Over The Mosque
http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/32949.html

the wrap up: 'Of course, the inevitable question here is when, pray tell, will Jonah devote a column to his intolerance of intolerance of intolerance?'

Posted by: blahgblogwordpresscom | August 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Greg,
I was wondering if there is some analysis as to whether the Dem's have the best people in place working on 2012 -- seems like a pretty soft team from Kaine, to Menendez down the line.

Posted by: wswest | August 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Jake:

Secret Service has nothing to do with this rally. It will be handled by US Park Police, as always.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Beck on rally:

"Whites don't own Abraham Lincoln," he said. "Blacks don't own Martin Luther King. Those are American icons, American ideas, and we should just talk about character, and that's really what this event is about. It's about honoring character."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/25/AR2010082507063.html

IT'S ABOUT HONORING CHARACTER!

SEE? HONORING CHARACTER!

Beck on Obama:

"[Obama] has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture. ... This guy is, I believe, a racist."

GOT IT? IT'S ABOUT HONORING CHARACTER!

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 26, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say that the Secret Service is having anything to do with Beck's rally. I was simply making the comparison that they also ban signs with sticks (at rallies they do control).

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=106x13624

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand the Beck rally. He chose MLK Day at the Lincoln Memorial where MLK gave his famous speech. It seems that the whole point is to make a national sneer at black people on a day that is particularly meaningful to them.

Posted by: Grandblvd03 | August 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@CalD

"Anyone want to start a pool? I'll take 20k."

Part of me doubts he'll even make it to 5 digits.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | August 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

i thought they tea party was supposed to be a passing fad that wasnt going to outlive summer 2009.

Posted by: dummypants | August 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Similarly, Maryland does not allow any signs or placards inside State buildings, Further:

"Signs and placards with sticks are
expressly forbidden on State property."

http://www.dgs.maryland.gov/pdfs/DemonstrationsandRalliies.pdf

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck, fool that he may appear, is probably the only true neo-Nazi is pulbic prominence. I have listened to him on and off for about 10-12 years, before he ever came to national attention. The difference between he and say Limbaugh is this. Limbaugh doesn't believe anything, he is just a brilliant businessman and self-promoter. Beck really does believe what he says. Furthermore he genuinely incites violence, as in the case of Byron Williams and his Beck-inspired shootout in Oakland. Given half a chance, Beck would be Himmler or Goebbels.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"I still don't understand the Beck rally. He chose MLK Day at the Lincoln Memorial where MLK gave his famous speech. It seems that the whole point is to make a national sneer at black people on a day that is particularly meaningful to them."

Like building a Muslim community center two blocks from Ground Zero?

Or are we maybe reading too much into the supposed symbolism these days?

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Beck mind as well spit in the face of African American's. He's viciously gone after the first African American President, trying to paint him as a racist and now he's trying to tie his movement to MLK. It's completely disrespectful of Beck to choose that time and place for this rally.

What a scumbag.

I hope conservatives choose to defend Beck on this one. Anyone trying to defend this POS will go down in the history books as defending a race baiting lunatic.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Check out the latest Sharron Angle ad attacking Reid as part of a love triangle with Reid/Pelosi:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/sharron_angle_ad_paints_obama-.html

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Or are we maybe reading too much into the supposed symbolism these days?"

Ummm...Beck's purposely doing this crap. He knows its offensive but doesn't give a crap. All his racist white followers will be snickering the entire time while there.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Folks are off the hinge as usual at The Plum Line, I see.

I wonder what it's like in your world, the one not attached to sanity by anything more than the thinnest of gossamer threads.

HEY!! BEHIND YOU!!! IT'S GLENN BECK!!! BOOO!! A-BOOGA-BOOGA-BOOGA-BOOGA!!!!


Ha. You people make me laugh. It's all pretty frickin' pathetic.

Go ahead and pin your hopes on this, Democrats. Yup, good luck with that. The more you fail, the better off we'll all be.

Posted by: etpietro | August 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"He chose MLK Day at the Lincoln Memorial where MLK gave his famous speech. It seems that the whole point is to make a national sneer at black people on a day that is particularly meaningful to them."

See when you take into the feelings and sensitivities of 9/11 families who oppose the community center - that's the right thing to do; but if anyone dare suggest the same respect for those people who suffered under segregation then it is political correctness run amok.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

""Or are we maybe reading too much into the supposed symbolism these days?""

Yeah, you've said some pretty disingenuous stuff before, Kevin, but that TAKES THE CAKE.

When it comes to policy, Kevin, you've been pretty fair.

But on matters of race your comments have been troubling.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@mikefromArlington: "Ummm...Beck's purposely doing this crap. He knows its offensive but doesn't give a crap. All his racist white followers will be snickering the entire time while there."

So then, you probably thing Park 51 is "doing this crap" on purpose, too? Or no?

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"See when you take into the feelings and sensitivities of 9/11 families who oppose the community center - that's the right thing to do; but if anyone dare suggest the same respect for those people who suffered under segregation then it is political correctness run amok."

I'm not sure what you're insinuating. Are you saying the Cordoba House is an intended sneer at those killed on 9/11 therefore the building of the community center should cease?

If not, I apologize.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about how many are at that rally? Even if the numbers are high that won’t validate what they believe. Obama lost 47% of the vote in 08. The cretins that show up on Saturday are only a sliver of that 47%. I defy any journalist covering this event to find one person there who had voted for Obama, but who has now turned on him.
The Tea Party phenomena is only going to be valid for this election cycle. I could care less whether the GOP takes over the House. They won't accomplish their agenda as long as Obama has a veto pen, and then in 2012 they will be swept out. Too many of us on the Left are getting too worked up.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

CalD / TheBBQChickenMadness:

You are aware that Gov. Palin is attending this rally, right? It will be well over 200,000 (which is only how many MLK got in 1963)!

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@ TheBBQChickenMadness | August 26, 2010 1:32 PM

"Part of me doubts he'll even make it to 5 digits."

But none of me doubts he'll claim it was 7.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

filmnoia:

I don't care, but others above think there won't even be 10,000. As for the House of Representatives and Obama's alleged veto pen, I have two words: gridlock, impeachment.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

A lot of you guys that post on here claiming to be intellectually superior because somehow you believe anyone who doesn't agree with you HAS to be a moron - are a joke.

People just throw the racist word out when they don't want to have a frank discussion about the pros and cons of how the sheer growth of our govt. and its control of our lives, might not be such a good way to go. You can't say Beck is stupid while supporting the intellectual superiority of
Keith Olbermann. They're both very intelligent, probably want the same things in general, but want to get there on different highways. The most honest statement you can make is that our "leaders" are collectively dysfunctional and need us all to stay divided. They are our enemy - not Beck, Olbermann, Mathews, Savage, etc.

Posted by: trojanfutbol | August 26, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not sure what you're insinuating. Are you saying the Cordoba House is an intended sneer at those killed on 9/11 therefore the building of the community center should cease?"

Nope - just trying to point out the ridiculous hypocrisy of the far right. Apparently my snark skills failed. Sorry.

I wonder how many Americans died due to slavery/segregation, etc. Think about it: if you add up the number of people who died during the Civil War, who died from lynchings, who died struggling for civil rights - it would absolutely dwarf 9/11. Why don't those who oppose the Park51 project think those people's relatives or their descendents deserve the same respect as those who suffered losses on 9/11? Just curious....

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

trojanfutbol,

Sorry, but Olbermann and Mathews are nowhere as vulgar and indecent as Beck and Savage.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

schrodingerscat:

How many slaves were killed at the Lincoln Memorial?

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"The Secret Service imposes a "no signs (on sticks)" rule."

___________________________

It was the rally organizers who said No signs. "Organizers of Saturday's rally advise attendees not to bring signs, "as they may deter from the peaceful message we are bringing to Washington."

check the site yourself.

Posted by: love80sdance | August 26, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

This would be a great day for a flood in DC.

Posted by: WillSeattle | August 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@trojanfutbol: "People just throw the racist word out when they don't want to have a frank discussion about the pros and cons of how the sheer growth of our govt. and its control of our lives, might not be such a good way to go."


Hmmmm.....

"He has a, this guy is, I believe, a racist."
- Glenn Beck on Barack Obama, 7/28/2009

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

mikefromArlington:

That's YOUR opinion.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"As for the House of Representatives and Obama's alleged veto pen, I have two words: gridlock, impeachment."

The Senate is essentially gridlocked now, so any major bills won't be going though the House and Senate in 2011, especially the closer we get to another election season. Either way, there will be gridlock for the next 2 years. As for impeachment, no, not going to happen. As long as Barack keeps his pants zippered what are they going to impeach him for?

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there sure are a lot of ignorant folks commenting here.

The rally is about faith and honor, which is sorely needed in this city and the whole country. Honor is something our founding fathers had in spades and America has lost....we must get honor back into our people and system of government.

I don't understand why so much name calling in the comments....there's no honor in that.

Posted by: Christian1941 | August 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Teabaggers are racist morons who cannot spell and wish to subjugate Muslims.

So there.

Ha.

Posted by: bs2004 | August 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Is Jake2D a shill for conservative causes?

I didn't say Jake2D is having anything to do with this question lack of integrity. I am merely making the comparison that the question has been asked about others who say the things Jake2D says.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

love80sdance:

Yes, I know (I wasn't saying that the signs were banned by the Secret Service; I was pointing out that the Secret Service does that at OTHER rallies it controls).

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@ JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:02 PM

"As for the House of Representatives and Obama's alleged veto pen, I have two words: gridlock, impeachment."

LOL. I'd just ask two favors of you:

1. Please keep saying those two words as loud as you can, as often as you can, in front of as many people as you can from now till election day.

2. Please don't ask Newt Gingrich how well actually doing those things worked out for him personally or with regard to widespread expectations of a Republican supermajority in the House and takeover of the senate in 1998.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"How many slaves were killed at the Lincoln Memorial?"

I don't know....how many people were killed at the Burlington Coat Factory?

No biggie, though. If that's your standard, I'll agree to it. All white people are hereby ordered out of the south....

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

filnoia:

For "High Crimes" of course.

Christian1941:

The name-calling does seem rather excessive. Mr. Beck has stated that he did not intentionally choose the "I Have a Dream" anniversary for his rally - but that he believes the coincidence is "divine providence."

"Whites don't own Abraham Lincoln," he said. "Blacks don't own Martin Luther King. Those are American icons, American ideas, and we should just talk about character, and that's really what this event is about. It's about honoring character."

For those of you who are not attending either rally, you can follow the coverage:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/rallies/

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"The rally is about faith and honor"

Faith = for Christian worship ONLY

Honor = for Conservative causes ONLY

If it had anything to do with faith or honor it would be:

A) run by a man or woman of faith (sayyyyyy a REVEREND)...

and

B) run by a man or woman who had HONOR (sayyyyyy someone who led a downtrodden people to the civil liberties they had been denied).

The Republican Tea Party's full-throttle delusion and lack of interest in history and facts will be on FULL DISPLAY for all the world to see.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | August 26, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

CalD:

Doing the right thing sometimes leads to personal failure, humiliation, even death. Read about Dietrich Bonhoeffer someday.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 2:15 PM:

Wouldn't the term "shill" kind of imply some degree of craft or cunning?

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Ethan2010:

Not "on FULL DISPLAY" since no elected officials from any party are being allowed.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:26 PM:

That's the spirit! Hold that thought.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"For "High Crimes" of course."

Like?????
I think your thoughts are more wish fulfillment than reality. Then again, how else can they get him out of office?. The GOP has many members that are imbeciles, but as a whole they aren't politically stupid. As the demographics of this country slowly move away from the GOP, Obama is solid in 2012.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

CalD:

Don't worry, I'm not considering assassination (yet).

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Glen Beck fails at every attempt to employ formal logic; he fails at every attempt to introduce rationalist philosophy; he fails at every attempt to introduce empirical philosophy; he fails at every attempt to introduce religious philosophy; he fails at every attempt to introduce political rhetoric. He is, quite simply a failure at employing any form of reason or logic or sound argumentation.

The only area in which he succeeds, is in the area of upholding his position as one of the most ghastly and disgusting, Anti-American voices in our nation's history.

He is, purely and simply, an agent-provocateur.

History will write of Glen Beck that he was a a hate monger on the wrong side of nearly every issue. He has made millions by leading fools, along a path of their own greed and hatred, to their own socio-political marginalization.

He will eventually bring shame even to those who ride him (the plutocratic elite) and shame to those who follow him (the selfish and the ignorant).

It is clear to me that Glen Beck is a charlatan and that he is a fraud.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Don't worry, I'm not considering assassination (yet)."

Wow.....so much for the notion that Jake is one of those moderates you could have a discussion with.

rukidding - if you're out there - you want to take back your endorsement of him now?

Posted by: schrodingerscat | August 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

@ JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 2:26 PM:

All I'm asking is that you put your convictions proudly on display. Just make a big sign that says:

"Vote Republican!
Gridlock Congress!
Impeach Obama!"

(or something very much to that effect) and go march in the street with it. You'll look great with it. Trust me. It'll be loads of fun.

Posted by: CalD | August 26, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I vote that we ignore Beck and this whole march thing. I think we should quietly let it happen.

To protest, scream or yell only gives the rally more attention than it deserves. Beck has organized this tongue in cheek. He has no purpose other than to prove his own prowess. We should not give him that satisfaction.

Posted by: justonevoice | August 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This rally isn't about faith and honor, it's about money and celebrity.....and Beck and Palin are the two worst offenders.

Beck and Palin laugh all the way to the bank as they deposit their millions of dollars.....and they're laughing at their duped masses.

It's rather sad to watch the misinformed and gullible worship at the feet of these two charlatans.

Posted by: elscott | August 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking of riding my bike down to this rally and passing out some of Beck's past famous quotes, like his suggesting 9/11 was America's fault and how the bailouts were a necessity and getting peoples reaction on tape.

Anyone got other ideas of what I should put on there to get onto tape?

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"...But the sight of Beck trying to coopt the legacy of King while crazed Tea Partyers bash the first African American president in the ugliest of terms may well go down as an iconic moment in the history of this movement..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, Beck is living absolutley rent free in the Neocommie collective mind. U - F - B! The libtard panties have developed a knot the size of the Mall and it's heading north into gerbil territory at warp speed!

Have a great election cycle, you losers.

Posted by: MDDem1 | August 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: WillSeattle..This would be a great day for a flood in DC..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Bugs would say, "What a maroon!" Any day is a good day for a flood in D.C.

Whats special is that TODAY would eb a great day for a tsunami in Seatlle. A great big one preceeded by a mag 9.9 earthquake.

Yeah, thats the ticket! Wallowing in the gutter with some libtard.

Posted by: MDDem1 | August 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

It's all about money for Palin and Beck. They have found the perfect snake oil for those southern rural angry old white men and they are raking in the bucks.

Posted by: gposner | August 26, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"The libtard panties have developed a knot the size of the Mall and it's heading north into gerbil territory at warp speed!"

A real Funny Boy, who probably just needs a good lay.
Jon Stewart and Bill Maher don't have anything to worry about.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan: "Yeah, you've said some pretty disingenuous stuff before, Kevin, but that TAKES THE CAKE."

Are you trying to say I'm fat?

"When it comes to policy, Kevin, you've been pretty fair. But on matters of race your comments have been troubling."

Well, let me know what's troubling and I'll try to explain it. While not a Beck fan, I think Beck has every right (or, as much of a right as anybody else) to make a speech at the Lincoln Memorial, even on MLK day.

I was not trying to be disingenuous.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 26, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

So Kevin, doesn't it strike you as a little odd that Beck, the guy who comes onto a morning show program and claims Obama has a deep seated hatred of white people or the white culture tries to somehow associate his rally with the guy who's actions are partially responsible for Obama's being in the WH?

If not then I'm not sure what to say.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The more the liberals and media attack Glenn Beck and the GOP, the more voters decide to vote Republican. The best campaign strategy the GOP has is the constant whining and accusing of the Obama-Pelosi led Democrats, which all of America is tired of.......especially in light of the total failure of Obama's socialist agenda.

Posted by: Realist201 | August 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I really do not understand the tea party folks. They yell about limited government, states rights and the intrusion of the fed govt into their lives. However, when there is an oil spill, they scream for fed involvement. Why not leave it to the state.

They don't want what is described as Obamacare, but scream keep your hands off my medicare. If they don't want government health coverage, why not buy from the private marketplace. Most look to collect social security when entitled.

Reagan mandated my medicare coverage, for costs of medicare were increasing and shore up the system more tax dollars were needed. This impacted millions of fed employees, but did they take to the streets to protest Reagancare. Is my mandated coverage worth it? No, for my health care costs will double when eligible. If I don't sign up for medicare, a worthless plan, at age 65, I will have to pay a penalty which raises the cost even more. As for social security, I have paid into the system, but will not qualify for lack of credits. Give me a refund of my taxes.

Where were you when we poured billions of dollars into a war? Where were you when job losses began the long slide? Why aren't you investigating who got rich off the war? This slide did not begin 18 months ago, but years before that.


What is the republican proposal for improving the economy, other than tax cuts? Paul Ryan's proposal for cutting social security benefits either by means testing or raising the retirement age is a good start. Another start would be eliminating medicare.

Currently, you are behind tax cuts which were passed ten years ago under reconcilation and not paid for. I guess we will have to borrow more to sustain them. If tax cuts were so beneficial, why are we in this position.

Please tea party person, what are you about?

For full disclosure, I am a registered democrat only for purposes of voting in primaries. I have voted republican on the federal, state and local levels if platforms are reasonable. We have had some good republican presidents and unfortunately, Reagan was not one of them. I lived threw those times and do not want to go back. Remember, rampant inflation.

Posted by: deloresclaiborne1 | August 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@mikefromArlington: "So Kevin, doesn't it strike you as a little odd that Beck, the guy who comes onto a morning show program and claims Obama has a deep seated hatred of white people or the white culture tries to somehow associate his rally with the guy who's actions are partially responsible for Obama's being in the WH?"

Um, you can't dislike Obama and like Martin Luther King?

Who wrote that rule?

"If not then I'm not sure what to say."

What if he moved his rally somewhere else? How big should the Beck exclusion zone be? Or, should he just hold it on another day?

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | August 26, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: filmnoia ... A real Funny Boy, who probably just needs a good lay..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have no idea what I need, filmoia, but its obvious to the world that your short on Otrauma care meds .. again. Get thee to your HMO via a pickup truck. Please, filmoia .. please.

Posted by: MDDem1 | August 26, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

JakeD...

Your comments are not worthy of an attorney or any educated person for that matter.

Pelosi is a domestic enemy?

"As for the House of Representatives and Obama's alleged veto pen, I have two words: gridlock, impeachment."

Impeachment?...on what grounds..because he's a Muslim...because he's not a natural born citizen...really JakeD that's pathetic coming from a supposedly educated man. Do you guys EVER accept the results of elections. Are you EVER going to work for the good of the country and your fellow citizens or is it always going to be a simple minded pursuit of Obama's "Waterloo" It's a two party system Jake and elections are supposed to have consequences. Obama didn't need a stacked Supreme court to win the Oval Office...he kicked your arses from coast to coast.

Get over it and stop behaving like whiny crybabies. You LOST Jake...do you get that...all of you righties can crow about what's GOING to happen...here is a freaking fact....YOU LOST!!!!

Haven't even captured the House and already playing the impeachment card. That is what is wrong with this country losers like Jake.

Sorry Jake I tried to be civil but that is truly disgusting! The impeachment card because your feelings got hurt when Obama smeared your old man and the Wasilla hillbilly. You sir are no patriot!!!

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

" Get thee to your HMO via a pickup truck. Please, filmoia .. please."

"Otrauma care meds"??

haha! so are you the debauched former frat boy or the loser from the sports bar doing the high five?
All so very - snoozzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"The more the liberals and media attack Glenn Beck and the GOP, the more voters decide to vote Republican."

Care to post a link to a poll or survey that confirms that. Thought not. You simply pulled that out of your backside...perhaps like the rest of your thinking. I know it's tough to come up with actual discussion of issues when you are sitting on your brain.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

If past is precedent, look forward to FauxNews splicing in footage of the inauguration crowd to make it look like a million people showed up to hear Glenn Beck talk about himself for a couple hours.

I just feel sorry for anyone who watches Fox anymore. It's like "beat me, lie to me, shove false memes into my head, I love it!!!".

Posted by: B2O2 | August 26, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Which group is trying to be the most insulting - so called liberals or so called conservatives. From a reading of the posts, the so called liberals hold the honor of being the most insulting and lack of looking at any other viewpoint than their own. This is one of the reasons that people in the fly over country ( or the stupid ones as defined by some of the post) will show their true feelings on election day.

Posted by: sales7 | August 26, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

rukidding7 -

That was one righteous rant to JakeD.
Whether the Right likes it or not, Obama has 2 more years, and more likely 6. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Biden and Clinton trade places in 2012 to put her in line for 2016. She would be about the same age as Reagan was in 1980.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

B209 Actually this is a golden opportunity for anyone who is proficient in Photoshop to get a job.

Faux News will pay handsomely to turn G.B's 30,000 into 3,000,000...

Then again perhaps they're too cheap..they can always use the Sean Hannity method from Glen's last big event. Remember when Hannity posted a pic that was from a completely different march that had taken place years earlier to make it look like GB had a larger crowd...by a muliple of about 6-7?

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 26, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@filmnoia

It actually saddens me to have to unload on Jake..I had thought he was going to be one of our thinking conservatives...like Kevin W or Scott..or even SBJ who likes to prick us and make trouble..but I think SBJ may simply have a devilish sense of humor and gets his kicks by seeing if he can fire us up...

But Impeachment...that is truly a disgusting card to play at this point.

And I agree with you filmnoia...

"it wouldn't surprise me to see Biden and Clinton trade places in 2012 to put her in line for 2016. She would be about the same age as Reagan was in 1980."

Wouldn't surprise me either and in fact I'd be very supportive of that move.

Posted by: rukidding7 | August 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a great respect for Tea Party Patriots like Rep. Ron Paul, Adam Kokesh, Gary Johnson. I find the 18% of Bush Appeasers and Americans who believe Obama is Muslim who jumped on the band wagon to be just sad ignorant Tea Baggerz. Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and their ilk are sore losers. They don't make a lot of sense. Cut the deficit, except for tax cuts for the rich and two forever wars? support freedom and the U.S. Constitution, except for Muslims oh and the gays. Palin's defense of the N word saying Don't Retreat Reload was puzzling and disgusting! The KKK used to hold American flags on th mall.

White Hate
http://www.vimeo.com/13991812

Posted by: BornAgainAmerican | August 26, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Democrats have nothing like the Repullican Spoo Machine.

That's why Beck's rally will be declared a huge success by the media.

Oh well, nice try, Dems.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | August 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

those going to the Beck rally are going to affirm that they are Americans and united...
only the misguided dems would make that a crime...
how sad for us and whats worse is...
we put them in charge of America...
and they messed it all up...
if we don't stop them...
we are heading for disaster...

Posted by: DwightCollins | August 26, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe while all these hate-mongers are in town for Beck's Big Bonanza of Bigotry, they could march over a few blocks to burn a cross or swastika or something in front of the Holocaust Museum. And the Musuem of African Art is just a few blocks further . . . think of all the hate they could spread in one small geographic area!

Posted by: tomguy1 | August 26, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Until President Obama lies to start a 'WAR', get's caught with his **** in an intern's mouth, covers up selling Arms to Iran, or breaks into the RNC, give the I word a rest.

Posted by: BornAgainAmerican | August 26, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Fox already posted video of Beck's rally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn_42PGV8mc

Posted by: mikefromArlington | August 26, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Q: Has anyone tried to book a room in D.C. this weekend?
Q: If attendance at the rally actually exceeds 200K will the media report it?
Q: Until now who was aware of the significance of the date 8/28?
Q: How many Liberals are even aware there is any rally on Saturday?
Q: Is it wrong to honor war heroes in a National Park on a Saturday?

Posted by: bmac5 | August 26, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If 300K Republicans on the mall is good for Dems than the only thing better for them would be 1mill Republicans on the mall. I suppose based on this brilliant logic 300K Dems on the mall would be good for the Repulicans.

Posted by: Truthteller12 | August 26, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

deloresclaiborne1 -

An absolutely wonderful post that encapsulates the ideological confusion, the historical ignorance, and the lack of honesty of these so-called Tea Party "patriots." I think between now and the day before election day 2012 the far right will be going through a two year long death rattle. Demographics on a national level are against them. They have an unwillingness to see reality and are just thrashing about listening to the loudest drumbeats of the far right media.
Their days are numbered, but for now they are too deluded to see that.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"The Secret Service imposes a "no signs (on sticks)" rule."

This is a true statement though, as a part of the Anti-War movement that was also stated. Its poorly enforced though.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

What to fear from a Glenn Beck rally? Well, if you are a Republican, and you remember the last Presidential election, and that whole losing thing, which happened to follow very closely after the Sarah-Palin-as-crazed-lunatic thing, and even the McCain "No Ma'am, Obama is not a Muslim" thing, well, you'd be smart to just quietly look the other way for this whole Glenn Beck thing, maybe even find some moderate praising Dr. King to refer to.

Posted by: dcnyhunter | August 26, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't matter so much.

What matters is 9.5% unemployment, the DOW tanking below 10K, a double dip recession / possible Depression.

That's what matters.

The Dems / Obama have NO solution.

"Recovery Summer".

No thanks.

I can't wait for November.

Posted by: drjcarlucci | August 26, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck, now he is a charactor from Central Casting. Here's a fellow who couldn't hack it as a legitimate commentator at a main stream Network who then jumps ship to a Fringe broadcasting Co.owned by a foreign media mogol who has delusions of Grander and world domination. There Beck hits it big by changing his style to race baiting and preachy 12-Step Liberal bashing and manages to start a fringe group loosely based on charactors from the Boston Tea Party.
Patriot/Preacher Beck now wants to stage a "Hero's Rally" on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on the aniversary of the man (Martin Luther King) who stood for everything Beck and his Tea drinkers most dispise: Tolerance, inclusion, government spending on social programs and pacifice non-Violence in the face of oppression (Its almost like remenants of the National Socialists Party wanting to stage a rally on Gandhi's or Albert Einstein's Birthday).
If this weren't all true, ANY screen writer who attempted to present Beck's life, cynisism and latest plans for a public specticle as a movie deal, would be laughed right out of Hollywood. Besides, who would or could play Glenn Beck but Andy Griffth and Griffth already starred in that Movie-"A Face In The Crowd".

Posted by: oregonbirddog | August 26, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

If there are actually 300,000+ people dumb enough and brainwashed enough to show up for a Glenn Beck rally -

Obama should take advantage and call in an air strike ....


I kid ... I KID

Posted by: daveque | August 26, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

nothing and I mean nothing should distract us fron the fact that those in charge in the whitehouse and senate and house have no plans to save us from a double dip...
it's like they are counting on it...

Posted by: DwightCollins | August 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

let beck and all the lunatic repugs rally and shout and wave their signs, believe me they will have them.
we want all the voters and the world to see them in all their glory.
they have the right to rally and the mosque has the right to be built blocks from the gaping hole that was the world trade buildings.
let the becks and palins also cut a rug on "dwts" that's where they will all end up when their 15 minutes has expired.
it can't be soon enough.

Posted by: ninnafaye | August 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why is it that Glenn Beck has such a large audience and why his show beats continuously CNN and specially all of MSNBC?

The rally on 08/28 is done to honor our heroes, values and to instill the principles that created our Constitution and made our country what it has been.

The detour imposed by Obama and followers has been offensive and frankly anti-american. And many want to go back to our core values and thus we want to take our country to where it needs to be.

It happens that this coincides with a Martin Luther King celebration and the organizers have invited a MLK representative to speak.

And I dare the liberal media come and for once do some journalism and report on this event.

Liberals are demonizing it because they have NO ARGUMENT and they are so AFRAID!!!

Posted by: Hispana | August 26, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This happens from time to tome in our history. A bloated, sweaty, alcoholic man gains credibilty by scaring the bejeezus out of people about the infiltration of communism in our government and general society. After he had ruined countless lives and brought shame upon the very legislative body he served, he was censured and within two years died a painful death as a drunk. Now we have a creepy, delusional, self promoting and agrandizing man leading a pack of similar crazies and getting lots of attention. Fox News is his enabler and only for the ratings and money he brings them. He will burn out because like his red baiting predecessor, he is unstable. In the meantime, he will commit undue harm.

Posted by: Sandydayl | August 26, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh. My. God. This is absolutely hilarious... A Saudi foundation called the Kingdom Foundation, which FauxNews talking heads have been demagoguing against for backing the proposed Islamic cultural center in Manhattan? Suggesting that they fund terrorism, as well as the Imam's project? THEY OWN 7% OF FAUX NEWS!!!!

Oops. Guess they'll have to shift their hatemongering strategy a bit. The dupes will be onto them!

Just priceless. And another reason that FauxNews is pure entertainment. They can't even keep their boogeymen straight.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/saudi-royal-backs-imam-and-fox-news/

Posted by: B2O2 | August 26, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about how many are at that rally? Even if the numbers are high that won’t validate what they believe. Obama lost 47% of the vote in 08. The cretins that show up on Saturday are only a sliver of that 47%. I defy any journalist covering this event to find one person there who had voted for Obama, but who has now turned on him.
The Tea Party phenomena is only going to be valid for this election cycle. I could care less whether the GOP takes over the House. They won't accomplish their agenda as long as Obama has a veto pen, and then in 2012 they will be swept out. Too many of us on the Left are getting too worked up.

=======================================
Do you want to bet on this? After the Democrats are stripped of their power I certainly want to see Obama exercising his veto. Do you really believe that he will have the _________ to do such a thing? So far, strength of character does not seem to be his forte. And the way this economy continues to go and Obama's agenda, only the dim-wits of democrats will be voting come 2012!!!

Posted by: Hispana | August 26, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The head of Fox News looks like the Grim Reeper:(

Posted by: veronicawrig62 | August 26, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow! If this article were all I read about Glenn Beck, I would assume he's an insane racist. I would assume that this rally is designed to insult blacks and their historical struggles. I would assume that the Tea Party stands for nothing other than white supremacy.

But, fortunately, I've long since stopped relying on WaPo as a source of anything other than biased liberal reporting.

I watch Beck (that's right, I watch Fox News), and I'll be damned if I think anything this article asserts is true. Maybe a quote here or there is technically accurate, but the context is missing. This is a vapid and intellectually dishonest smear from the secular socialist machine.

A plum line is a straight line. Maybe they ought to rename this column. Nothing straight about this reporting.

Looks like all the leftist loons are out in full force. So, go ahead and have at me. Bring it on.

Posted by: ktp70 | August 26, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"...I certainly want to see Obama exercising his veto. Do you really believe that he will have the _________ to do such a thing? "

Short answer - YES.

Posted by: filmnoia | August 26, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

300,000?

If the past has shown us anything it is that if 3,000 show up Fox will tell us turnout was 3 million.
---------------------------------
Kinda like the Million Man March. Maybe 5,000 showed up, tops (not counting parole officers...that probably doubled the number)

Posted by: luca_20009 | August 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"Restoring Honor'? I suppose that next week we can have Bernie Madoff hosting the, "Ethical Business Rally."

Posted by: BBear1 | August 26, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

ktp70 - Bring it on? Why bother. Anyone who calls us, "secular socialist machine," lacks the intellect needed for conversation.

Posted by: nisleib | August 26, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I've looked at preceding remarks: so many crazed, hysterical, breathlessly over-the-top comments about (prospective) crazed, hysterical, over-the-top tea party people desecrating the Mall and somehow dishonoring Martin Luther King Jr... I'll listen to what Mr. Beck & those in his rally say. I expect most of it will seem quite reasonable when compared to the hysterics of Mr. Greg Sargent and those who agree with his views.

Posted by: pjk1 | August 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

BBear1 - How does one go about, "Restoring honor?"

What does Glen Beck, a man who makes up nonsense conspiracy theories for a living even know about honor?

And the people that listen to him don't need their honor restored, they need their sanity restored.

Posted by: nisleib | August 26, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who are running throwing stones at this march, you should watch today's Glenn Beck show, featuring Alveda King, niece of Martin Luther King Jr. and one of the principal speakers at this rally.

This rally would be successful because a great majority of people in this country are sickened by the sidetrack that has been taken and in less than 2 years our beloved country is changing into a nightmare. An about face is urgently needed and a full cleansing of all the evil that is trying to seep into our greatness.

Barack Obama is a FALSE PROPHET and he must be unmasked.

Posted by: Hispana | August 26, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

All, come check out our Happy Hour Roundup:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/happy_hour_roundup_80.html

Posted by: Greg Sargent | August 26, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that the Washington Post was so leftist. But I digress.

The rally is about unity, the spirit of the founding fathers in today's world, and all you folks are talking about is how much Beck is going to make. It is Free to get in, so what are you fussing about?

By the way, do you want to know how much Obama made just on his recent book alone .. about 5mil. Hey, let's split it up for the collective good.

For you folks it is a constant dog fight. Elevate yourselves to a higher plan, pleaseeeee.

Signed:
Not your friend today
(maybe tomorrow)

Posted by: whileman | August 26, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"...I certainly want to see Obama exercising his veto. Do you really believe that he will have the _________ to do such a thing? "

Short answer - YES.
=====================================
I certainly believe that you are in the Twilight Zone, my friend or totally blind about the character of our President.
I repeat, he doesn't have it there, and you know where.

Posted by: Hispana | August 26, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why is it that Glenn Beck has such a large audience and why his show beats continuously CNN and specially all of MSNBC?

The rally on 08/28 is done to honor our heroes, values and to instill the principles that created our Constitution and made our country what it has been.

The detour imposed by Obama and followers has been offensive and frankly anti-american. And many want to go back to our core values and thus we want to take our country to where it needs to be.

It happens that this coincides with a Martin Luther King celebration and the organizers have invited a MLK representative to speak.

And I dare the liberal media come and for once do some journalism and report on this event.

Liberals are demonizing it because they have NO ARGUMENT and they are so AFRAID!!!

Posted by: Hispana
_________________________________________
Why are Beck's rating's higher? 2 reasons IMHO; 1) because he promotes himself very well and has the Faux News megaphone to help his promotions, and 2) it's like watching NASCAR and waiting for the huge wreck...
Don't fool yourself, Hispana, this has nothing to do with honor or policy or MLK or any of that; it has EVERYTHING to do with ratings (his show), money (I'm sure there's ratings based incentives in his contract), and fame!
"Fame, makes a man take things over...
Fame, makes him loose, hard to swallow..."

Posted by: PeterPamZ | August 26, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Frat boy and Morning Zoo DJ? This from the same intellectual ignoramuses that elected a Community Organizer PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! The reason the Repubs won't be there is that they WEREN'T INVITED. This is only a political event to the haters on the left. How about honoring our troops? Just another byline in this sorry hack of a paper that you all bow to. Please send us all pictures of your reactions when you see a 300,000 plus turn out. Of course anyone who disagrees with your Olbermann, Maddow, and Matthews hysteria is most certainly ignorant, racist and intellectually disabled. Isn't the right wing supposed to be the haters? Doesn't seem to be anyone here trying to educate us boobs how to be tolerant and loving of our fellow man. Bunch of hypocrites. I'll be there on 8/28 to honor our country and our troops, and anyone who feels the same way is welcome with open arms. I'm sure I'll scrape up 300,000 or so who agree. I give my word that I'll repost Monday if the agreed head count is anything less than that (And no - I won't use "Faux" news figures) and issue an apology. If any of you lefties have the intestinal fortitude - you'd do the same. It's called honor. That's what it's about. God bless the United States.

Posted by: USMCVET1 | August 26, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

nisleib - Excellent argumentation. I lack intellect and therefore I don't deserve to be entertained. Forgive me for insulting the secular socialist machine, and I apologize for not conforming my thinking to the politically correct victimology and collectivism of that machine. Barf.

nisleib, you're blind, brother. But, just remember that they can't hold you unless you let them. Break free. You're not a victim. You're not part of a collective machine. Government elites will not save you, eradicate poverty, instill peace throughout the land, save our health care system, properly allocate wealth, revamp our economic system, make cars run on water, etc. It just won't happen.

And calling me racist won't change the fact that you're wrong and I'm right.

That's what the Democrats hate to hear, as they wish the cure for everything was to call their opponents either racist and/or stupid, and then be done with them.

And this is not excellent argumentation. It is utterly vapid.

So, have at me, nisleib. Am I racist? Am I stupid? Not worthy?

Got anything else?

Posted by: ktp70 | August 26, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Beck's "March of the Morons" is going to reclaim the civil rights movement? From what group? A bunch of older, white, Fox News-watching conservatives claim they are going to reclaim the civil rights movement? ANYONE who is not an idiot should be calling ANYONE who gets near this rally for what they are, which is an idiot.

Posted by: fishman2 | August 26, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

HIspana wrote:

"The rally on 08/28 is done to honor our heroes, values and to instill the principles that created our Constitution and made our country what it has been.

The detour imposed by Obama and followers has been offensive and frankly anti-american. And many want to go back to our core values and thus we want to take our country to where it needs to be."

Could you tell us what those missing values are? How is the President anti-American?

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Hispana wrote:

"For those of you who are running throwing stones at this march, you should watch today's Glenn Beck show, featuring Alveda King, niece of Martin Luther King Jr. and one of the principal speakers at this rally."

You do realize that Beck is the same man who recently said that race relations were "on the right course" before the Civil War, don't you? In case you're not aware, Hitler has two nephews who are still alive and living on Long Island (seriously, look it up) I maintain that they would be far better relatives to invite!

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh one last thought (but possibly not my last) If this rally were genuinely about honoring the military, wouldn't it make more sense to have it organized by someone who actually served?

Let's see who on Fox News would that be?

Bill O'Reilly-no
Sean Hannity-no
Glenn Beck-no
Geraldo Rivera-no
Greta Vansusteren-no
Dick Morris-no

I have been unable to find a single contributor on Fox who has served. Please feel free to correct me (ollie North use to be on, but I don't think he is anymore) if you know better.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

rukidding7:

I couldn't care less what you think of me, but I said that I was NOT considering assassination -- at least I'm not the one "joking" that Pelosi might "get sick and die" -- as for Obama's "impeachment" let Rep. Issa get subpoena power and then we'll see where we are this time next year ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

nisleib:

One example of "Restoring Honor" to the Oval Office, for instance, was not getting a blow job there from an intern your own daughter's age.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the actual turnout for Glenn Beck's rally this weekend. He's telling people to sleep in their cars because there aren't any hotel rooms available, except that there are, a lot. This site is pretty funny, and spot on: http://GlennBeckIsAnIdiot.com

Posted by: Fretboard | August 26, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

What to fear from a Glenn Beck rally? Well, if you are a Republican, and you remember the last Presidential election, and that whole losing thing, which happened to follow very closely after the Sarah-Palin-as-crazed-lunatic thing, and even the McCain "No Ma'am, Obama is not a Muslim" thing, well, you'd be smart to just quietly look the other way for this whole Glenn Beck thing, maybe even find some moderate praising Dr. King to refer to.

Posted by: dcnyhunter | August 26, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

dcnyhunter:

McCain would have lost by much more if he had gone with Lieberman as VP.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

"Wow! If this article were all I read about Glenn Beck, I would assume he's an insane racist...I would assume that the Tea Party stands for nothing other than white supremacy."

And, you'd be right on both accounts. Glen Beck is an insane racist and the tea baggers do bob on white supremacy.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Beck's rally brings all the nutters out of the woodwork and puts them on display for all the world to see. Because nothing says "Trust me with your future" like a bunch of sad-sack old people and fat, disgruntled white dudes. Toss in the racists and "Muslin" haters and it's election gold for the Democrats.

Posted by: shstl | August 26, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

emcauley3 and shstl:

I voted Alan Keyes (the other African-American) for President in 2008. Does that make me -- or him -- a racist?

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"I voted Alan Keyes (the other African-American) for President in 2008. Does that make me -- or him -- a racist?"

I don't think it makes you a racist; I thinks it shows you to be the follower of a very self-destructive man.

I don't think your vote makes him anything. He is who he is, regardless of your vote.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm asking if you think that Alan Keyes is a racist.

Posted by: JakeD2 | August 26, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse


Greg, You wrote:

"But the sight of Beck trying to coopt the legacy of King while crazed Tea Partyers bash the first African American president in the ugliest of terms..."

Greg, I am reluctant to say this, but I will. Your characterization of Tea Party members just shows how pathetic and desperate you on the liberal left really are to vilify them.

Tea Party members are not crazed and they don't bash Obama in the ugliest of terms.

I don't remember you defending the bashing of George Bush in the ugliest of terms. Sometimes in effigy.

None of what you wrote has happened at the Tea Party rallies. And to pull the racecard makes you no different than other liberals who resort to that label when they clearly have no valid proof.

Tea Party members don't have to "bash" Obama, all they have to do is point to his disastrous agenda and the ramifications of it, which we are witnessing drip by drip, day by day. A methodical demise of the country I know and love.

You along with your journolista pals have lost all credibility and today I see you've stooped to a new low.

Posted by: janet8 | August 26, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Haven't you paid attention? Glenn Beck is all about hatred, fear and paranoia. That is the theme of the 21st century American conservative movement. Beck and Limbaugh are the faces of that movement.

I am still waiting for the FCC to step in and demand some accountability from the right-wing hate mongers. But I keep forgetting that the great America hater, Ronald Reagan, neutered the FCC along with the INS. And look what a cesspool that created.

Posted by: BigTrees | August 26, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"I'm asking if you think that Alan Keyes is a racist."

I think the best way to do that is to simply ask, as you finally did on the second pass.

I don't know if Mr. Keyes is a racist; I am not in the habit of identifying people as racists. I do think he is an unstable man who has some readily apparent personality problems.

Mr. Beck however has made his position overtly clear on several occasions; it is perfectly clear that he is a racist antagonist.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse


If Beck is a racist then why has he done a number of shows recognizing the contribution of African Americans in the American Revolution and founding of our country?

Why would Dr.Alveda King, MLK's niece, be speaking at the Lincoln Memorial with Beck Saturday? Although she said she has received threats by the left if she goes to the Rally Saturday. BTW, she's going.

Throwing the racecard around has been a useless past-time by the left to the point where it will lose its real meaning. And that WOULD be a shame.

Posted by: janet8 | August 26, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Glen Beck is pushing button's with that statement on Huffingtonpost about MLK and Rose Parks. I hope he know there are people that still hold some unhealth feeling about the 60's. I hope he thinking there could be conquence's, if an unstable person show-up with a gun and start shooting. A lots of people could get hurt, Glen Beck will be blame, because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.
Now we know what Omar Thorton went through, there must have been a Glen Beck at that company.

Posted by: gallagher591 | August 26, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

janet8 wrote:

"Tea Party members don't have to "bash" Obama, all they have to do is point to his disastrous agenda and the ramifications of it, which we are witnessing drip by drip, day by day. A methodical demise of the country I know and love"

Exactly what makes us in demise? If you listen to the Fox News people, the world is coming to an end, but how?

Also while I would not characterize Beck as insane, I would characterize him as clinically mentally unstable. The fact that he incites his followers to violence is a proven fact. Again what separates Beck from some of his colleagues is that he really believes the nonsense he puts out. That is why his impassioned rhetoric drives his followers to violence, while other like Limbaugh and Hannity don't.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

janet8 wrote:

"If Beck is a racist then why has he done a number of shows recognizing the contribution of African Americans in the American Revolution and founding of our country?"

Because he ONLY likes those from that time. Remember this is the man who publicly said on air that race relations were "on the right track" before the Civil War. Not something we made up, it's all over the place on the internet.

gallagher591: You're as dangerous as Beck. Please shut up! You're not helping at all.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If the past has shown us anything it is that if 3,000 show up Fox will tell us turnout was 3 million.
============
Very true. Far-right racist extremists do lie about size (as evidenced last September).

Posted by: revbookburn | August 26, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

This is what the Tea Party protesters is all about. They are for hire by Charles Koch.

Even Facebook pages dedicated to a specific city “tea party” events, supposedly written by people connected only by a common emotion, obviously conformed to the same style. It was as if they were part of a multi-pronged advertising campaign planned out by a professional PR company. Yet, on the surface, they pretended to have no connection. The various sites set up their own Twitter feeds and Facebook pages dedicated to the Chicago Tea Party movement. And all of them linked to one another, using it as evidence that a decentralized, viral movement was already afoot. It wasn’t about partisanship; it was about real emotions coming straight from real people.

While it’s clear what is at stake for the Koch oligarch clan and their corporate and political allies—fighting to keep the hundreds of billions in surplus profits they’ve earned thanks to pro-rich economic policies over the past 30 years—what’s a little less obvious is Santelli’s link to all this. Why would he (and CNBC) risk their credibility, such as it is, as journalists dispensing financial information in order to act as PR fronts for a partisan campaign?

As noted above, Santelli’s contract with CNBC runs out in a few months. His 10 years with the network haven’t been remarkable, and he’ll enter a brutal downsizing media job market. Thanks to the “tea party” campaign, as the article notes, Santelli’s value has suddenly soared. If you look at the scores of blogs and fake-commenters on blogs (for example, Daily Blog, a slick new blog launched in January which is also based in Chicago) all puff up Santelli like he’s the greatest journalist in America, and the greatest hero known to mankind. Daily Bail, like so much of this “tea party” machine, is “headquartered nearby” to Santelli, that is, in Chicago. With Odom, the Sam Adams Alliance, and the whole “tea party” nexus: “Rick, this message is to you. You are a true American hero and there are no words to describe what you did today except your own. Headquartered nearby, we will be helping the organization in whateve

Posted by: gallagher591 | August 26, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

"If Beck is a racist then why has he done a number of shows recognizing the contribution of African Americans in the American Revolution and founding of our country?"

In order to give himself cover, behind which he may hide. Is that really such a big surprise? It is a simple parlor trick of politics and antagonism...just like your question.

"Why would Dr.Alveda King, MLK's niece, be speaking at the Lincoln Memorial with Beck Saturday? Although she said she has received threats by the left if she goes to the Rally Saturday. BTW, she's going."

I imagine it is because she is anti-gay marriage and anti-abortion. Clearly she thinks these issues are important enough to be seen with the likes of Glen Beck.

"Throwing the racecard around has been a useless past-time by the left to the point where it will lose its real meaning. And that WOULD be a shame."

Do you think you'll lose any sleep if the race card loses its meaning? Just curious.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"Tea Party members are not crazed and they don't bash Obama in the ugliest of terms."

You mean they don't use swastikas next to the President's picture on protest signs? And they don't falsify pictures of the President to change his appearance to look like Satan, the Joker (of Batman fame), an idiot, a slave, etc?

Either you haven't seen these, though they've been at every tea party rally, or you are an obvious liar and fraud.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse


54465446 wrote:

"Exactly what makes us in demise? If you listen to the Fox News people, the world is coming to an end, but how?

Also while I would not characterize Beck as insane, I would characterize him as clinically mentally unstable. The fact that he incites his followers to violence is a proven fact. Again what separates Beck from some of his colleagues is that he really believes the nonsense he puts out. That is why his impassioned rhetoric drives his followers to violence, while other like Limbaugh and Hannity don't."

First of all, what nonsense has Beck "put out?"

Secondly, why is our country in a methodical demise? Standard and Poor today warned the US to watch we don't lose our AAA rating. Economists say we are heading into a double-dip recession, some even say we're headed for a depression.

Did you happen to see that the Dow Jones ended the day under 10,000?

And Obama thinks more spending is the answer. But to do that the Federal Reserve has to print more monopoly money. Our economy is a house of cards that is teetering at this moment.

That's not to mention the debacle Obama is making in the foreign affairs arena. Snubbing our allies, appeasing our enemies. Russia, Iran and China are playing Obama like a Stradivarius.

This is a volatile world and Obama looks and acts like a rank amateur.

He's nuanced. Yeah right, keep telling yourselves that. Words.....just words.....

Posted by: janet8 | August 26, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

emcauley3:

Did you criticize those on the left who painted GWB as the Joker (of same Batman fame), a chimp, and/or Hitler?

Posted by: clawrence12 | August 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

emccauley wrote:

"Do you think you'll lose any sleep if the race card loses its meaning? Just curious."

Answer: Yes.

As far as Dr. Alveda King speaking at the Memorial Saturday, if it was anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, she could use another venue, say Al Sharpton's rally.

But she's not, is she?

As far as those posters you refer to, the liberals have encouraged their members to infiltrate the Tea Parties with inflammatory posters. Tea Party members ask people with those signs to remove the signs or they must leave. As far as the Joker poster, that was created by a liberal,young artist. I saw him interviewed.

BTW, Beck asked those who attend Saturday not to bring signs because they will be honoring and praying for our country.

Posted by: janet8 | August 26, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"Did you criticize those on the left who painted GWB as the Joker (of same Batman fame), a chimp, and/or Hitler?"

Yes Clawrence, I did, and I still do. I did not agree with many of President George W. Bushes policies but I respected him as my President and I still do.

Are you being careful to criticize those who paint President Obama as the Joker, Clawrence?

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

janet8:

I like to use facts, not rhetoric, so about our demise consider this.

-when the President took over, the DOW was at 8772 so does he not get credit for pushing it over 10000, or did he bring it up just to push it down again?

-what part of the debt do you hold the President responsbile for since most of the problems have been created not only under Bush but Clinton and their predecessors as well. Are you aware of the the fiscal effect of President Bush's unprecedented move of fighting two wars while simultaneously cutting taxes?

-Are you aware that the President, in fact no President controls the Fedral Reserve? In fact the man who made the decision to "print more money" as you say Ben Bernanke was appointed by President Bush, and his actions were approved of by former Bush Treasury Secretary and head of Goldman Sach Hank Paulson?

How did China become our enemy, and if they are why are they one of our largest trading partners, and why are they one of if not THE largest holder of US Treasury Securities?

How is Russia our enemy, and if they are, what should we be doing about them, going to war against them?

Iran certainly is our enemy, and even more so since Dick Cheney personally sent Iranian double agent Ahmedn Chalabi into Iraq shortly after the invasion. Do you know who disqulaified many if not most of the Sunni candidates for the most recent Iraqi elections to facilitate a Shiite takeover of that country, yes Ahmed Chalabi.

Do you know what event unleashed Iran on its current path to dominance? You wouldn't know it from watching the news, but Islam is not monolithic. In fact, Shiities and Sunnis hat one another. Until the Persian War, Shiite Iran was held in check by anti religious, Sunni dominated Iraq. After that war, and of course after the later Iraq war, the check on Iranian power was ended, and now Shiites dominate both Iran and Iraq. Talk about unintended consequences, eh!

Every single thing I have cited above is easily verifiable on the same computer you are writing your posts on at any time. Facts are stubborn things, They get in the way of inflamed rhetoric that moves people in unstable ways, like Glemm Beck.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

janet8:

Sorry for the misspelings on my previous post, but I was typing fast so as not to lose you.

Oh as far as snubbing our allies, yes I definitely say that the President intended to snub Netanyahu on his first visit. However here is what The Guardian (UK) had to say about the treatment given to Vice-President Joe Biden PRIOR to that visit

"It's not the first time that Israel has stiffed Barack Obama over his attempts to kick-start Middle East peace negotiations. But the sudden, highly inflammatory announcement of plans to build an additional 1,600 homes in occupied East Jerusalem, in the midst of a visit to Israel of US vice-president Joe Biden, was certainly the most brutally contemptuous rebuff so far to American peacemaking."

Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Janet8 can't handle the facts; she's all "Dogma Clown."

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

"As far as Dr. Alveda King speaking at the Memorial Saturday, if it was anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, she could use another venue, say Al Sharpton's rally.
But she's not, is she?"

But, that's not the question you asked, is it? So your response is incoherent and rambling.

"As far as those posters you refer to, the liberals have encouraged their members to infiltrate the Tea Parties with inflammatory posters. Tea Party members ask people with those signs to remove the signs or they must leave. As far as the Joker poster, that was created by a liberal,young artist. I saw him interviewed."

What's his name and what news outlet did the interview? Lest you lose all credibility.

"BTW, Beck asked those who attend Saturday not to bring signs because they will be honoring and praying for our country."

If Beck wants to truly honor our country, he'll promote harmony between parties and encourage the to work together.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Crazy people like Beck and the Tea Party come to DC time and again for their demonstrations. Just one more group of nut cases. A couple of years, and Beck and his angry bunch will be another footnote in history, soon forgotten by most people.

Posted by: samsara15 | August 26, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, lest I forget: Ted Nugent is a jerkoff.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 26, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Greg, you sure opened something up on this one.

Interesting that Beck's banning signs. Guess he doesn't trust his folks to avoid truly repulsive comments.

Judging from that, I assume Fox is going to try to make this thing look like Morning in America.

They're just not going to be able to do anything about the totally white crowd there. . .

Posted by: thmas | August 26, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

When you talk with the Democrats are you ever amazed at the alternate reality in which they live. The Democrats are constantly in a state of denial. Listen to Biden. He still thinks with all Obama and the Democrats have done to the American people and this country, the people are going to vote them back in office for more of the same. Glen Beck's rally is no threat to anyone. Those who hates to see the people assemble might see it as a threat, but isn't that what Beck's rally is all about. Our freedoms we still have before Obama with his laws and regulations takes them all away bypassing the Constitution.

Posted by: houstonian | August 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Janet8 said "As far as the Joker poster, that was created by a liberal,young artist. I saw him interviewed."
******************************

Janet8: You lie.

If anything, the kids was an independent. Here is what the artist actually had to say about his political leanings: "Alkhateeb's views on foreign relations align with the Democrats, he said, while he prefers Republican ideals on domestic issues."

...and the only reason his sympathies lie with the Democrats on foreign policy is because he's a first generation Palestinian American (and Republicans have made it painfully clear how much they hate Muslims--so no surprise that's where he breaks with the GOP).

To read an actual interview with the artist (as opposed to the one fabricated in Janet8's ferret brain) see:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/08/obama-joker-artist.html

Jeesh, teabaggers even lie abou the meaningless stupid stuff...

Posted by: Plix | August 26, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

@houstonian,

Oh, you mean rights enshrined in the Constitution like freedom of religion and the right to own private property?

Since you're firmly against "bypassing the Constitution" can I assume you've forcefully spoken out against the anti-American hatemongers who want to deny peaceful Muslims the right to build a mosque and observe their religion in NYC? Very noble and patriotic of you sir--thanks for taking a strong stand against bigotry and oppression!

Posted by: Plix | August 26, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse


yes it is very true that major brands always give out free samples on health products check out http://bit.ly/9HUMDw tell your friends also

Posted by: joaquino27 | August 27, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

janet8 said: "Tea Party members are not crazed and they don't bash Obama in the ugliest of terms."

janet8 said: "Tea Party members ask people with those signs to remove the signs or they must leave."

Ha! What a deceptive little fairy tale you put yourself to sleep with at night. So why is it they continue to stand around and march holding those signs for hours if they've been asked to leave? I can hear it now: "Oh please take your sign away (wink, wink, nudge nudge)."

janet8 said: "As far as the Joker poster, that was created by a liberal,young artist. I saw him interviewed"

The Tea-Baggers carrying those signs, as well as the other signs I mentioned (which you specifically fail to address), are directly attacking the President, in spite of your phony protestations to the contrary. And, they do so of their own free will. It simply is their distinctive breed of stench.

And your attempt to blame it on the artist is another fraud on your part. That young artist (who is actually a Republican), didn't hog tie and force the carriers of those signs to carry them at these Tea-Bagger rallies, did he?

You remain a fraud, by your own words, janet8.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 27, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

emcauley3,

You call me a fraud, why don't you check out the facts before you do your name-calling.

Here are a few clips of the Tea Party members asking infiltrators to remove their offensive signs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfmShJe5MA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i10fD0kybWI&feature=related

And get your facts straight about that guy who created that Joker poster. This is an excerpt straight from the LA Times article:

"If he had to choose a politician to support, Alkhateeb said, it would be Ohio Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich."

Now who is telling fairy tales?

Posted by: janet8 | August 27, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

janet8:

I have my facts straight. You've been agitating for a neo-conservative cause with no conscience or consideration for the other point of view on this thread the whole time you've been here. I am not the first person who's called you on it, either. Several others here have shown your weak associations that you've attempted to purvey as fact and your continuing inquiries when your avenues of assertion are shut down and you are repeatedly shown to be wrong.

Suddenly now you want to save your good reputation?! Give me a break. That would require that you had a good reputation to begin with! Anyone here may go back and read your posts and make his own decision on that point. I've made mine and I stand by it.

You don't get to go around savaging others with your irresponsible words and false claims, then cry victim and beg for refuge when you've been called on it.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Were not interested in your cheesy protestations, your sour grapes or your vintage whine.

Posted by: emcauley3 | August 27, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

A good rule of thumb: Never ascribe to malice what you can attribute to incompetence.

Posted by: wd1214 | August 27, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

54465446:

In response to your comments:

1. May 2010: It was more than twice the $40-billion deficit that Wall Street economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast and was striking since April marks the filing deadline for individual income taxes that are the main source of government revenue.

Department officials said that in prior years, there was a surplus during April in 43 out of the past 56 years.

The government has now posted 19 consecutive monthly budget deficits, the longest string of shortfalls on record.

2. When Obama wants to spend money who do you think prints it? The Federal Reserve. Granted, Bernanke was appointed by Bush, but so what? Bush was only slightly better than Obama. I never voted for either of them. That's why we need to vote out some of the Democrats and Republicans who put their party and self-interest before country.

3. As far as US enemies are concerned. I should have made China, Russia and Iran a separate paragraph. Iran, North Korea, Cuba(for now), Venezuela(for now), Hamas, al Quaeda, Taliban, etc., are our enemies. But most of the countries in the world view Obama as a weak leader. Something we should all be concerned about.

4. I was against Bush and the Iraq War. Even the surge, but on that I was wrong. I couldn't wait til Bush left office, but as Barbara Walters always says "Be careful what you wish for." I never thought anybody could be worse than Bush, but then came Obama.

I'm an Independent and think for myself. I do research and make comments on my opinion of my national and world views. If people disagree, so be it. But don't jump to conclusions and America better wake up before we get to the point of no return.

Posted by: janet8 | August 27, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

To be a repuke is to be extreme.

Posted by: davidsawh | August 27, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

emcauley wrote:

"I have my facts straight. You've been agitating for a neo-conservative cause with no conscience or consideration for the other point of view on this thread the whole time you've been here.....you are repeatedly shown to be wrong.....You don't get to go around savaging others with your irresponsible words and false claims, then cry victim and beg for refuge when you've been called on it."


My, my a little testy there. Why is it that when I counter your accusations with facts, you come back with nonsensical rhetoric?

I am an Independent, not a neo-concervative. My thoughts are my own.

I haven't been trying to "save my reputation" because I have a good reputation and frankly, I don't care what people think of me personally. I'm mature enough not to care. All I am doing is getting the real information out, to as many people as I can about what is REALLY going on in this country, that's why I comment on this blog in the "enemy camp" so to speak.

So sorry I keep bursting your bubble.

Posted by: janet8 | August 27, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

houstonian wrote:

"Our freedoms we still have before Obama with his laws and regulations takes them all away bypassing the Constitution."

I see this all the time, and it drives me a little nuts because I can never pin down what people think has been taken away or what is uncontitutional.
If anything, the Bush administration really did take away some of your rights regarding search and seizure and unlawful detention, and the courts have subsequently ruled as such.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 27, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

janet8:

I hope I am being respectful in my replies to you, because obviously I think the conversation is worth both of our time.

1. The deficit is a huge problem, but there is nothing of significance we can do about it right now, until the economy is better

2. Most Americans have very little understanding of how the Federal Reserve works. The money "spent by Obama" as you say and Fed policy have nothing to do with each other. Nor did they have anything to do with each other in previous administrations. The Fed's number one job is to stop inflation believe it or not, and since there is no sign of current inflation it can keep money "easy" in an effort to avoid Depression. I'm sorry that this post is to small for a real discussion of the Fed.

3. I can't argue the perception thing about Obama, because it is indeed just that. I would narrow down our current list of genuine enemies to North Korea and Iran. I think we make Al Queda a much more important organization than it is today at least.

I'm not sure what the point of no return that you are worried about is. We have unquestionably the world's greatest military, with no one else even close to a challenge. We have serious long-term financial problems that must be addressed, but there's nothing can be done right now, by either Republicans or Democrats, until we weather this economy. If you could tell me where the cliff is, I might better understand the speed of the car.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

54465446:

Truce. Glad someone is willing to debate the issues without the hyperbole.

1. Economy: Businesses (small and large) are sitting on almost a trillion dollars and are afraid to invest or expand because of the volatile economy. Obama and the Dems have to stop spending and give incentives to businesses to kick-start the economy. They also have to do something about the amount the health insurance reform is going to impact on these businesses. Already some big companies are cutting back because of the uncertainty of the health premiums and taxes. Every day something new comes out about the Health Care and Financial Reform bills. Check out the newest wrinkle: 3.8% on Real Estate sales tax in the Health Care bill. All of this makes businesses skittish. Roubini, Laffer and a bunch of economists have said the inside numbers as far as unemployed, gross national product, investments, etc., are out of sync and we're in unprecedented territory which has a chance of a huge collapse. I heard talk on a business channel of a possible depression yesterday.

2. Federal Reserve: The Federal Reserve is a questionable entity. I did research on it and came up with some very surprising information. They SHOULD be investigated. They are currently balking on turning over some paperwork to Congress as I type. I'll have to find the links and post them on this blog when I have time to find them. I don't have them at-hand. I just heard on CBS that Bernanke said today that the "economy is uncertain."

3. When I say the point of no return, I'm talking about the economy. From what the economists are saying and doing (pulling their money out of their own investments), I fear a total collapse of our economy.

It's refreshing to be able to respectfully debate the issues with someone on this blog.

Posted by: janet8 | August 27, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Roubini is known for good reason as Dr. Doom. He always forecasts the end of the world, and occasionally, as two years ago, he is right. He serves the same purpose that Colmes used to do on Hannity's show, the counterpoint. Arthur Laffer used to be a superstar(the Laffer Curve), but his work has been largely discredited. Unlike Roubini, he is not sometimes right.

Healthcare reform WILL cost more than estimated, no doubt about it. That's not the reason businesses are sitting back though. They are not willing to be ahead of the curve. If you go along with the pack, when things collapse (like in the real estate bubble) you can satisfy your shareholders by saying we were just like everybody else. If you're out in front and wrong, you don't have cover. That's why Warren buffet made a TON of money investing at the depth of the financial crisis because he was willing to be ahead and not worry about being wrong. Even so, M&A activity has picked up in the last two months, and you will see a flurry of activity coming up. In fact, if you are a gambler, invest now in oil etf's while the price is around $70 a barrel for two reasons. If the economy tanks, oil isn't going away you just have to wait six months or a year at most. If the economy recovers the price of oil will lead, and if the Israelis bomb Iran , the price will soar. So in two out of three most likely scenarios on oil you win. The Fed is not perfect, but there is no one who handles serious money, (not Ron Paul) who disagrees with the job the Fed has done in the last two years. Where we go from here has debate written all over it, but the consensus among people who actually make their living by finance, is solid.

Posted by: 54465446 | August 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

As a real person that attended this rally let me state
1.How many people does it take to fill the area around the reflecting pond, the south field including the woods to the road and approx. 80% of the hill leading up to the Washington Memorial. (I have no first hand knowledge of the north side.)More than 500k I'm sure.
2.Why is there nothing in this story of the Blacks that took part and the honors and medals bestowed upon them?
3. Maybe the fear of us, the normal workers that pay for this country has reached a panic level. That I believe. The more you scream, the more I laugh. You people have NO idea what is about to happen when the large working class finally wakes up. Cheers

Posted by: dnanderson50 | August 28, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company