Obama heading to Wisconsin -- but Feingold won't be there

Barack Obama is heading to Wisconsin as part of a major campaign swing through important battleground states -- but Senator Russ Feingold won't be there to campaign alongside the president because he has votes scheduled for that day, Feingold's spokesman confirms to me.

Feingold's spokesman told me about the Senator's schedule in order to preempt criticism from foes who are likely to argue that Feingold is keeping the President at arm's length. Feingold, who is locked in a much tougher reelection campaign than expected, came under similar criticism when he didn't appear alongside Obama during the president's visit to Wisconsin on Labor Day.

"The Senate is scheduled to be in session, and there are going to be votes," the spokesman, John Kraus, told me. The date of Obama's visit to the state is set for September 28th.

"Obama is coming here when we're going to be at work," Kraus continued. "Senator Feingold doesn't miss votes to do politicking. He never has and he won't." Feingold has missed zero votes during the current Congress.

Feingold took some flak when he didn't appear alongside Obama in Wisconsin on Labor Day, but he insisted to reporters he was honoring previous commitments to march in local Labor Day parades.

The news that Feingold will be in Washington during the president's visit later this month is likely to spark another round of criticism. But Feingold aides point out that he did appear with Obama in mid-August.

"I'm pleased to stand with this president any time and anywhere and defend what we've done and what we're doing," Feingold said at the time.

By Greg Sargent  |  September 9, 2010; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections , Senate Dems , Senate Republicans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What qualifies as unacceptable for a major party nominee?
Next: Happy Hour Roundup

Comments

ANOTHER "Dems vs. Obama" article.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | September 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Just seems like another attempt of the press trying to find conflict where none exists.

I'm sorry you're giving into the beltway conventional wisdom gang. I feel its our job to call you out on it.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | September 9, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I just can't concentrate on this while Terry Jones holds the entire world hostage.

Is anyone at work today?

Are the buses running?

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Ethan, did you miss the part where it says, "Feingold's spox got in touch with me to preempt..."

In other words, you're wrong

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

and same goes for you, Mike, did you miss that line, too?

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I prefer that President Obama do more of what he did in Milwaukee, on labor day, without being surrounded by candidates. It allows him to stay out of the local races, while still going after the Republican leadership, that would take over, should they win enough seats.

Remind voters that putting the economy back in the hands of John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, would be like giving a pair of Wild Dingos the job of baby sitting your infant child.

Posted by: Liam-still | September 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Greg, it's worth nipping these nontroversies in the bud. Not exciting stuff, but worthwhile to just make sure someone speaks with a voice of reason.

Problem is, of course, the yahoo chorus everywhere else.

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Journalists I believe will enjoy a Republican controlled Congress. Imagine all the fighting and articles when they control the committees and control the agenda.

Obama vs. entire GOP! Fight to the death! Obama eviscerates GOP! GOP lashes out at Obama! Obama rips orange color from Boehners face! McConnell turns into a turkey for real this time and flies away!

Do I have proof? Nah. But I sure am starting to get that feeling.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | September 9, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for employing some reading comprehension, BG, I appreciate it. :)

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to buy beer and cheese up there, so I need a stable government.

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

journo-O-lists, of course, believe Feingold's spokeshole rather than the polls which show that Obama is toxic.

Posted by: JakeD2 | September 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@Greg...now that you've explained yourself I understand your motivation.

Having said that..my first reaction was the same as Ethan's. This is truly a non story.

If however you had written the story more from the perspective of...Will the right or the MSM try to make something out of Feingold's absence that doesn't exist...I think we would have better understood.

You gotta understand Greg...you've got a large chandelier here and some of us aren't the brightest bulbs. :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't always agree w Feingold but I admire him. And I am confident that the country would be much better off if we had another dozen of him in Congress.

"nontroversies"

I like it, BG. Pithy.

Posted by: wbgonne | September 9, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

BG "I have to buy beer and cheese up there, so I need a stable government."

A very valid and salient point. Besides the Packers were one of only 3 teams my Bucs could beat last year. We owe them big time for that.

And so BG how about sending your Bears to Tampa for a beating.

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

ru -- in this case I felt a bit uncomfortable doing that because I'm not in Feingold's head. I thought the facts speak for themselves.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Greg...all's well that end's well and you did finally light up our dim bulbs. :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Not much of an NFL fan, ruk.

I spend the weekends rooting for Liverpool and against Notre Dame.

And hyperventilating on my bike. In a fun way.

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

FACTS:

Posted by: JakeD2 | September 9, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

rukidding7:

Do you feel like Obama's low approval ratings "don't exist" either? It must be nice to live in your world.

Posted by: JakeD2 | September 9, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

BG...getting set to hyperventilate myself...in that same good way...actually a little intimidated...our spinning class starts at 6PM..and it's the hardest instructor. He is terrific though..and an old fart like me with eclectic taste..so we get some old music..some rock..some country and even Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas.

Wish me luck. I'd hate to barf in a closed environment like that. LOL At least you "real" cyclists can just turn your heads and let it fly. :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

ruk, keep up the good work. I wish the trolls would get some exercise.

Drain the fever swamp maybe....

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

JakeD...no not at all...and I guess you're just about as comfortable with the fact that his approval/disapproval ratings currently blow away Sister Sarah.

I enjoyed your comment about how happy the people would be to live under the economic conditions in the middle of G.W.'s reign.
You mean would they enjoy living on borrowed time...in houses with wildly overinflated values...before that house of cards collapsed leaving more than half of them in my state upside down. Yeah Jake if only we could turn back the hands of time...before we all realized what Bush had set us up for with two unfunded wars...tax cuts for the wealthy...and an incredible housing bubble.

BTW I don't blame that housing bubble on Bush personally...and in fact on either the R's or the D's..or even the wealthy...the entire nation top to bottom left and right took part in that orgy.

My point is simply that if you're trying to give credit to Bush for what "appeared" to be good times in what was actually a bubble then he should also take responsibility for the crash.

Ohhh but Jake your a republican...you always want it both ways don't you?

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

NO WAY

The Pastor in Florida made a deal to move the mosque at Ground Zero in exchange for not burning the Koran

NO WAY - see? the liberals just want to let everyone WALK ALL OVER AMERICA.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | September 9, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Koran burning has been canceled.

I bet the right wing fringe is upset and also those looking for the last battle on earth to take place so Jesus can some and do something here on Earth or something.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | September 9, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"In other words, you're wrong"

Yes, I did miss that and I am wrong.

Your headline is misleading and I'm getting tired of these lame non-stories.

Why can't we have more SUBSTANCE?!?!?!

Why can't we have more discussion of ISSUES other than Republican-framed issues like the Not-Mosque and Tax Cuts?

Why not energy?

Why not the transportation spending proposal (Think Progress had a great piece on that today)?

Why not any of a million other topics that matter to Americans of all persuasions?

Posted by: Ethan2010 | September 9, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

jeez, Ethan, I'll try harder to please from now on :)

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg, I do appreciate it, and sorry for getting on you, but that's just how I feel. Nothing personal of course.

Did you see this?

Senate must pass small-business incentives, Voinovich says

"""Retiring Sen. George Voinovich (R-Ohio) said he plans to help push a package of small-business incentives through the Senate next week, a move that would give President Obama and congressional Democrats a key victory on the economy in the final weeks before the November midterm elections. """

I think it's the most important news today by far.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | September 9, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg...totally off topic but BREAKING NEWS.

Pastor Jones has canceled the Quran burning.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The minister of a Florida church said he has canceled plans to burn copies of the Quran because the leader of a much-opposed plan to build an Islamic Center near ground zero has agreed to move its location. The agreement couldn't be immediately confirmed.

The Rev. Terry Jones said Thursday that Americans oppose the mosque being built at the location and that Muslims do not want the Quran burned. He said instead of his plan to burn the books on Saturday to mark the ninth anniversary of 9/11, he will be flying to New York to speak to Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf about moving the mosque.

Posted by: rukidding7 | September 9, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

NO WAY

The Pastor in Florida said there was a deal to move the mosque at Ground Zero in exchange for not burning the Koran - but now they say there isn't a deal.

NO WAY - see? the liberals just want to let everyone WALK ALL OVER AMERICA.

I think now that this linkage has been made - there will be THOUSANDS of New Yorkers willing to burn the Koran - in order to get the mosque moved.

Obama's leadership on National Security has been a disaster - his twisted legal theories have not provided more security for the nation - only made us more vulnerable - we need a REAL LEADER WHO IS GOING TO GET RID OF THE MOSQUE AT GROUND ZERO.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | September 9, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sure sounds like there would be THOUSANDS of New Yorkers willing to burn the Koran if that is what it takes to get the mosque moved from Ground Zero

The country is sick of Obama and the liberals who are supporting the developers of the mosque too.

Just to be clear.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | September 9, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Now the whole thing is up in the air

The Pastor says if the mosque is moved, the Koran will not be moved.

Sure sounds like there is going to be some New Yorkers wanting to protest this weekend.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | September 9, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Several media outlets now reporting that there has been deal made to move the Muslim Center location.

For the record; once more. No Mosque has every been proposed for the site.

Of course Right Wing Hate Mongers love to keep erecting that Strawman.

Posted by: Liam-still | September 9, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Feingold to his staff:

"Tell President Obama (wink wink} that I am just as sorry as I can be {(wink wink) but I have unbreakable prior commitments (wink wink) and I will not be able to be with him when he visits Wisconsin (wink wink)".

Poor old toxic Obama.

Posted by: battleground51 | September 9, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I'm curious, do you believe Feingold and his spokesman? Is this all just a remarkable coincidence?

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | September 9, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyway the mosque should go

Liam - call it whatever you want.

If you say it isn't a mosque, then it doesn't have First Amendment protection - and should go anyway - glad you agree with everyone else in the country.

Meanwhile, Obama looks completely unable to represent the sentiment of the American People - Obama is off on his own - and the American People are looking for a leader.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | September 9, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"toxic Obama"

And yet, a small injection would make your penis much larger.

Posted by: bernielatham | September 9, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

Several media outlets now reporting that there has been NO DEAL made to move the Muslim Center location.

For the record; once more. No Mosque has every been proposed for the site.

Of course Right Wing Hate Mongers love to keep erecting that Strawman.

Furthermore, this Jones Idiot never once claimed that he was going to burn the Korans, unless the proposed NY Muslim Social Center was moved.

Media is reporting that a Florida Muslim cleric arranged a meeting between Jones and the New York Center Imam. That is where things stand. All in all, I think it is much better that these people are going to talk to each other, instead of Jones doing something that would outrage all Muslims, and even an old agnostic like me, thought was the height of irresponsibility.

I must say, that I would have expected that all Top Republican leaders would have been more visible on this issue, since General Petraeus said that it would put the Troops at greater risk.

Where were all those "support the troops" Republicans on this critical issue. Looks like even General Petraeus could not persuade them to put Troops ahead of appeasing the hate mongers.

Posted by: Liam-still | September 9, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Ya gotta love free enterprise autonomy...

"The company hosting Jones' church websites shut them down today, saying the sites had violated the company's policy against hate speech."

Posted by: bernielatham | September 9, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Ethan -

This cartoon made me think of you and your frustration about ignoring important issues. I posted it last week but maybe you didn't see it (or maybe you did and didn't like it!). Anyway, it made me smile and I hope you enjoy it.

Posted by: carolanne528 | September 9, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Sneaky buggers-holding Muslim services *right in the Pentagon*.

Posted by: ChuckinDenton | September 9, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Must Read:

Posted by: BGinCHI | September 9, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

9/11 is sacred.

And also a heeck of a greenback generator for Palin and Beck.

Will there be T-shirts? Coffee mugs? Pewter Twin Towers made in China?

Posted by: bernielatham | September 9, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Sneaky buggers-holding Muslim services *right in the Pentagon*.

Posted by: ChuckinDenton | September 9, 2010 6:15 PM
...................

Or as that wonder women exhibitionist, Old Geller, might put it;

Pentagon to hell on a prayer rug.

Posted by: Liam-still | September 9, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

All, Happy Hour Roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | September 9, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The thing is, with Feingold you never be too sure whether he thinks that running away from the president is smart politics or if he's just being ideologically peevish.

Posted by: CalD | September 9, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

CalD:

Can we all at least agree that it's smart politics?

Posted by: JakeD2 | September 9, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse