Happy Hour Roundup

* Interesting: While the Rand Paul campaign tries to keep the focus on Obama, the NRSC is out with another spot slamming Jack Conway over the Aqua Buddha ad. Will Rand shake Jack's hand at their debate tonight?

* Robert Reich says Dems must not heed the inevitable calls to move to the center after the elections -- and, interestingly, cites the GOP's recent successes as proof.

* The Times surveys the landscape and concludes Republicans are "in a strong position" to take back the House, but adds that a "major political upset" is not impossible.

* And: National Republicans are spending in marginal districts where national Dems aren't even on the field.

* Loaded poll question of the day: Doug Schoen and Rasmussen purport to gauge public attitudes about the secret cash funding ads by asking folks if they think GOP special interests are buying the election.

* Nice catch by Michael Crowley: RNC chair Michael Steele, in an oddly overlooked moment that would appear to put him at odds with the Chamber and Rove's groups, comes out for donor transparency.

* Good piece from Eliza Newlin Carney, who notes unabashedly that the two defining facets of the midterms are "big money and unprecedented secrecy," and that it's a really huge deal.

* Adrian Arroyo calls B.S. on the claims that the outside groups helping GOPers have anything in common with grassroots style "infrastructure."

* Four Gold's Gym franchises are dropping the Gold's brand after revelations that Gold's owner kicked in $2 million to one of Rove's groups. No wonder these donors want secrecy!

* Jonathan Cohn says Dems need to keep Paul Wellstone's legacy in mind when the election returns roll in next week.

* Hickey power? The Dem firm Public Policy Polling finds Dem Joe Manchin has expanded his lead in the West Virginia Senate race to six points. Meanwhile, Colorado is deadlocked.

* The Sharron Angle campaign seems to be developing some really creative techniques to avoid the media.

* And Eric Kleefeld cleanly debunks the Angle camp's claim that she didn't shush a reporter.

What else is happening?

By Greg Sargent  | October 25, 2010; 6:13 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections, Campaign finance, Happy Hour Roundup, House Dems, House GOPers, Senate Dems, Senate Republicans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sharron Angle ad shows Mexican border -- after she insisted her ads weren't about Latinos
Next: The Morning Plum

Comments

Interestingly, the "The Plum Line" is currently running an advertisement paid for by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce regarding Dino Rossi. It's not that bad that the Washington Post refuses to take the money, I guess.

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

There's also the very real possibility that in CO, Maes will poll below 10% and render the GOP a down ballot party for 4 years.

And Greg, have Miller's employment records been released yet?

Can't Julian Assange get them? So lazy....

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 25, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Greg Sargent

YOU will be happy to know that you are now sponsored by the US Chamber of Commerce.

The American People just want to know if that money is DISCLOSED OR UNDISCLOSED ???

This is a serious, serious issue.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

lol, @ Gold's Gym. You'd think that this being such a center-right country, they would attract more customers with publicizing their donations to right wing groups.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 25, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"RNC chair Michael Steele, in an oddly overlooked moment that would appear to put him at odds with the Chamber and Rove's groups, comes out for donor transparency."

If only he were in a position where he could do something about it...

...Sayyyyy, chairman of a national political party.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 25, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Juan Williams - the liberals have quickly dropped that issue

If Juan were white - and not black - his Freedom of Speech would have been respected by liberals.

Instead, because Juan expresses some Conservative views, liberals treat him like his views should be determined by the color of his skin.

Somehow liberals appear to act as if blacks and hispanics should not have Freedom of thought - instead their opinions should be guided by the color of their skin only.

It really is sad that it has come to that. But it is true. And it is the kind of exposure which Obama needed least in the weeks right before the election.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Finally a message that a democrat can win on:

Democratic candidate for Governor in Rhode Island tells Obama : Take your endorsement and SHOVE IT.

Sound like a message that can unite the nation.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

STR, I notice you've posted that quote from Caprio for roughly the dozenth time today. Clearly you only read the headline- he's wigging out because there is no endorsement- he was expecting it, but it has not been given to either him or Chaffee, nor will it- it was never offerred. You've managed to miss the dynamic of this 'incident' by such a wide margin, I have trouble believing it. Very impressive.

Posted by: holyhandgrenaid | October 25, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Obama is giving bags of cash to Karzai - undisclosed or disclosed ???

Afghan President Hamid Karzai acknowledged on Monday that he receives millions of dollars in cash from Iran, adding that Washington gives him "bags of money" too because his office lacks funds.

_____________________

Asked to clarify, whether the U.S. actually gives bags full of cash to the presidential office, Karzai responded: "Yes, it does give bags of money."

Obama is giving "bags of cash" to Karzai ???

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Hamid Karzai admits that he, and his close colleagues, have been receiving bags filled with Cash, from the Iranian Government, on a regular basis.

Boy; Bush/Cheney sure could pick them. Ahmed Chalabi and this Corrupt Clown in Afghanistan were the hand picked leaders, who were going to make Democracy flourish in Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"Will Rand shake Jack's hand at their debate tonight?"

And if he does, will Jack then bring out a towel to dry off the lake-water?

Posted by: bernielatham | October 25, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Liam

You really have skipped the part about Obama giving Karzai the "bags of cash"

Was that undisclosed or disclosed ???

Seriously man - at what point is Obama going to take responsibility ???

Would that be the day after his one term ends?

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Or Christine just has to wrinkle her nose.
---------------------------------
NO, NO, NO, NO. Didn't you hear? She says she is not a witch.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 25, 2010 6:15 PM

..............

At that time she thought she had lost her powers, but it turned out to be just the temporary side effects fro having a bad head cold, and her God getting separated from The State.

Did you hear her latest comment on why she is running for US Senator?

"The woman who dabbled in witchcraft sat down with a Christian TV network and said she was called to a run for Senate by no other than God himself.

"God is the reason that I’m running," tea-party darling Christine O'Donnell told David Brody of the Christian Broadcasting Network."

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Bernie asks (from an earlier thread):

“What's the "greatest" city?”

Boston, MA, despite the Red Sox (and the liberals).

“Neighborhood?”

Wan Chai, Hong Kong (but only between the hours of 8pm and 4am)

“Who's the "greatest" person?”

Winston Churchill (you really need to ask?).

“What's the "greatest" novel?”

Sometimes a Great Notion, by Ken Kesey.

“Piece of music?”

It's a tie between Mozart's Symphony 29 and Paradise By The Dashboard Lights by Meatloaf.

“Poem?”

Trick question. There is no such thing as a good, much less a great, poem.

“Food?”

Strawberry Pop Tarts

“Toilet paper?”

Given your daily output here, I think you have more experience with it than most. I defer to your judgment.

Posted by: ScottC3 | October 25, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Christine O'Donnell has the highest name recognition in the nation.

So, instead of getting a message out, the democrats chose to engage in meaningless attacks on the Tea Party and its candidates.

HHMMMM

You can take that endorsement......

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 25, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

ljl,

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

When have we ever seen anything like this? A Democratic candidate for governor in the Northeast telling a Democratic President to stick his endorsement up his arse. Saying that Obama policies will wreck his state. A Democratic Senate candidate from West Virginia (where Obama's approval rating is in the 20's) saying he would not have voted for the healthcare bill---which is a John Kerryesque lie, of course, for at the time he said he WOULD vote for it. I wonder if Bill White in Texas thinks Obama should shove it? I've got a good idea. If the people think this poorly of what Democrats are doing in Washington, why not send someone you KNOW will oppose the agenda instead of a flip-flopping liar?

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Winston Churchill. What a joke. If FDR hadn't come to their rescue, England would have been done for.

How the hell does Winston Churchill become the greatest person, on the hard won massive military campaigns of The American and Red Armies?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Alternet/Nation report on the tea party... very good

Posted by: bernielatham | October 25, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Kevin_Willis wrote re healthcare,
"Seems much more likely that they'll just fine you, and have you pay the fine by automatic garnishment or something like that. Rather than pay money to put you in jail (and weather the bad PR), I suspect they'll just garnish your wages and seize assets, if they do anything at all."
-------

Exactly. Even the Dems don't want to build debtor prisons. Prisons for the political oppostion, maybe, but not debtor prisons---they'd have to lock up half the liberals in the country. They just want another stream of revenue; another way to siphon money from working people and seize their assets when the money dries up.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: bernielatham | October 25, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

The Republicans want to once more let The Insurance Cabaldrop you when you are sick, and send you to the cemetery.

Under Republican rules; even if you purchase Health Insurance, they will still send you To The Cemetery.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Any candidate taking FOREIGN money to beat an American VOTER is a traitor.

Posted by: vigor | October 25, 2010
-------

That's exactly what STRF has been trying to tell you---about Obama.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

From here in Illinois, there are just as many anti-Kirk ads running on local TV as there are pro-Kirk ads. The reason Kirk is winning this race is that recent debates have highlighted the shallowness, weak resume and flawed judgement of his opponent. Additionally, despite Illinois' repuation as a deep blue state, there is a strong anti-Democrat tide running in this state right now, directly resulting from the spectacle of our impeached ex-governor, and the $13 billion budget gap he and his successor and the Democrat legislature have created.

Posted by: Illini | October 25, 2010
-------

I suspected as much.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

No body is winning any race in Illinois today. The election has not been held today.

Tea Baggers are like all those idiots who keep telling us who will win baseball and football games, before they have even begun the games.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

@Scott OK I'll play along...and btw I think overall your list is pretty good although I must respectfully disagree with some of your selections...

“What's the "greatest" city?”

Boston, MA, despite the Red Sox (and the liberals).

Nah I gotta go with St Petersburg Florida because I'm provincial.":-) However I give second place a dead heat..I love Manhattan, San Francisco and D.C.

“Neighborhood?”

Wan Chai, Hong Kong (but only between the hours of 8pm and 4am)

Upper East Side of Manhattan...I agree with the hours.

“Who's the "greatest" person?”

Winston Churchill (you really need to ask?).

Abraham Lincoln. When my wife and I make our annual trek to D.C. we always go to "church" The Lincoln Memorial. When I read the words on the walls it still brings tears to my eyes that our country produced such a man. Yeah I'm a softie lib but remember he was the first Republican. W-T-F happened to you guys?

“What's the "greatest" novel?”

Sometimes a Great Notion, by Ken Kesey.

I'm a progressive...and a writer and so I have to go with The Grapes of Wrath.
I have Steinbeck's Centennial collection and still love to read "Of Mice and Men" and "East of Eden" as well as short stories like "The Pearl" The man was genius I tells ya. Interested to see where BG comes down on this question.

“Piece of music?”

I gotta go with Appalachian Spring by Copeland...again perhaps I'm provincial and love American music..love Gershwin as well as Copeland...pop music..Al Stewarts "Time Passages"

“Poem?”

Trick question. There is no such thing as a good, much less a great, poem.

Gotta agree with you there Scott...although some of the Frost stuff is OK

“Food?”

Strawberry Pop Tarts....

PIZZA! PASTA! anything Italian...I'm Irish but my Italian cousins can really cook.

Thanks for kicking off a fun game Scott. I hope others will join in.

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys! You know Jefferson and Madison intended for corporations and individuals to flood our political elections with millions to allow them to game the system!

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010
-------

Oh, on the contrary, they intended for labor unions to flood our political elections with millions to allow them to game the system! Millions that they've extracted involuntarily from working people. Strange how the biggies are representing unions of government employees. Don't have to work at all to get wages and benefits that outclass the private sector---just bribe some crooked pols. Too bad they're not out picketing businesses that employee illegal immigrants. Too much work I guess; too much like what they OUGHT to be doing.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

That Alternet article is good. That's one of my daily go to sources for some pretty good in depth articles.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

“What's the "greatest" city?”

Boston, MA, despite the Red Sox (and the liberals).

“Neighborhood?”

Wan Chai, Hong Kong (but only between the hours of 8pm and 4am)

Upper East Side of Manhattan...I agree with the hours.

“Who's the "greatest" person?”

Winston Churchill (you really need to ask?).

“What's the "greatest" novel?”

Sometimes a Great Notion, by Ken Kesey.

I'm a progressive...and a writer and so I have to go with The Grapes of Wrath.

“Piece of music?”

“Poem?”

Trick question. There is no such thing as a good, much less a great, poem.

Gotta agree with you there Scott...although some of the Frost stuff is OK

“Food?”

Strawberry Pop Tarts....

Thanks for kicking off a fun game Scott. I hope others will join in.

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:47 PM
---------

And exchanges with Liam remind me of Mike Huckabee's statement, "I feel guilty in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh...I understand your test Bernie...I thought my "list" post disappeared...alas it was just delayed...sorry for the double post folks.

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Brigade, you do make Liam seem like he's arguing with a brainless idiot.

Great, illustratively ignorant comments about IL, unions, public employees.

Class act.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 25, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Just because something, someone, and some where are some one's favorites, has nothing to do with greatness.

I would put MLK and Desmond Tutu ahead of Lincoln, and the history of Winston Churchill shows him to have been a vicious racist oppressor of native peoples in their own lands.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

@Brigade, STRF, Battleground, & Clawrence.

Let's attempt to give you guys something to comment upon...here's a fun link for you all.

NEWSWEEK Poll: Obama Approval Rating Jumps, Democrats Close ‘Enthusiasm Gap’
As the president’s numbers climb sharply, results suggest that Democrats may be succeeding in firing up their base.
Despite doom-saying about Democrats’ chances in the midterms, the latest NEWSWEEK Poll (full results) shows that they remain in a close race with Republicans 12 days before Election Day, while the president’s approval ratings have climbed sharply. The poll finds that 48 percent of registered voters would be more likely to vote for Democrats, compared with 42 percent who lean Republican (those numbers are similar to those in the last NEWSWEEK Poll, which found Democrats favored 48 percent to 43 percent). President Obama’s approval ratings have jumped substantially, crossing the magic halfway threshold to 54 percent, up from 48 percent in late September, while the portion of respondents who disapprove of the president dropped to 40 percent, the lowest disapproval rating in a NEWSWEEK Poll since February 2010.

Enjoy partisan hacks! :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

"I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps infantry. What mattered to me - and to every Marine I knew - was that my fellow Marines were Marines. I didn't care where they were from, what color they were, how rich they were, or whether they were attracted to men or women (and yes, I served with gay Marines). Anyone who thinks sexuality matters more to a Marine than professional competence and discipline doesn't understand the Marine Corps - and worst of all, they use Marines as an excuse for their bigotry. Sorry bigots, that's not why we serve."

Posted by: ncooty | October 25, 2010
-------

"In a ranging interview just before his retirement, outgoing Marine Commandant General James Conway said as many as 95% of US Marines would be uncomfortable serving with open homosexuals."

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Brigade says:

Firemen don't work

Cops don't work

Teachers don't work

US soldiers don't work

There's the real voice of the Republican party right there. All the benefits of society with none of the responsibilities.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 25, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Sure makes the Marines sound like a bunch of Scaredy Cats.

Sounds like all Bin Laden would have to do is deploy a couple of gay terrorists, and all those right wing patriots would end up drowning in their own urine.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Great, illustratively ignorant comments about IL, unions, public employees.

Class act.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 25, 2010 7:56 PM
------

The typical BGinCHI response. Insults but no refutation or facts. And even the insults are pretty lame. Learn to do at least one thing right.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@Brigade...Glad you realize that Conway is indeed a bigot!

# 2 Countries that allow homosexuals to serve in the military

* 2.33 Taiwan
* 2.34 United Kingdom
o 2.34.1 Bermuda
* 2.35 Uruguay

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Good night folks.

Last one out, please put out the lights and the cat.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Brigade says:

Firemen don't work

Cops don't work

Teachers don't work

US soldiers don't work

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 25, 2010 8:00 PM
------

It's not the workers who don't work hard. It's the union that doesn't have to work---extract dues, take a chunk for yourself, bribe the pols and get whatever you want. Private sector? Too much trouble. All they do is provide the money to pay the government workers' benefits and salaries.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes it's a work night. Good evening all.

And just to give us all sweet dreams...imagine the nightmares STRF/37TH/CofC/Leaf will have over this tidbit of information from the latest Newsweek poll
Sleep well STRF and Clawrence. :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"Winston boasted that his country had helped "to keep the world safe for Democracy". Read up on how many countries around the globe, were still under British colonial occupation, at the time that Windbag Churchill made that claim. Huge swaths of the globe and massive populations were still under British subjugation, while Windbag was claiming to have saved the world for Democracy."

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 25, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Sure makes the Marines sound like a bunch of Scaredy Cats.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 25, 2010
-------

I'm beginning to understand why you're a liberal. It has to do with comprehension skills or rather lack thereof.
"Uncomfortable" = scared in your vocabulary. You sound like Bill Maher. Marines are Scaredy Cats who would drown in their own urine if the brave Bin Laden deployed a couple of gay terrorists. Right. Now change your diaper, crawl back under the bed, and leave defending the country to people who know what they're doing. We'll send a couple of gays over to play battleship with you in the bathtub.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"ljl,"

Sorry about that. That was one of my three year olds just saying "hello". As you can see, he makes more sense than STRF.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

rukidding7 wrote,
"# 2 Countries that allow homosexuals to serve in the military."
--------

Earth to ru: we allow them to serve, too. DADT. I'm not gay, but when I was in the Army, I don't recall anyone ever asking. Did anyone ever ask you if you were gay? DADT. You know what it means, right?

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"Gee, don't tell me you don't speak for ALL Marines. Looks like Conway is a bigot. Or maybe you picked up your preferences during long stretches in the brig---if you were ever actually in the Marine Corps."

Is there any particular reason you don't reply to a comment on the actual thread that it's posted on?

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 25, 2010 8:20 PM
--------

I wouldn't get too excited about this propaganda if I were you. Who'd they poll, residents of Harlem? Most polls I've seen were around Politico's 43% approve, 48% disapprove. Hate to burst your bubble.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 8:32 PM
------

Yes. I wasn't here at the time, and it's now a dead thread.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 25, 2010 8:22 PM
-----

Liam and Obama much prefer Mao to Churchill.

Posted by: Brigade | October 25, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Boston

Amherst, MA; two blocks from UMASS practice fields; 1967.

Lincoln

The Brothers Karamazov

Bach Cantata BWV 140, Sleepers wake
Powderfinger

Pied Beauty; Hopkins

Carrot Cake Muffin.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

"We certainly know that Obama shares your contempt for him, unlike most educated americans.

Posted by: quarterback1 "

Don't you people think all educated Americans are idiots?

Posted by: DDAWD | October 25, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

"ljl,"

scat,

I thought it was spot on.

How many 3yr/olds you got?

lol

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So who do I pull for? The Cowboys to keep the Giants tied with the Redskins or do I root for the Giants because it'd be awesome for the boyz to go 1-5?

Posted by: DDAWD | October 25, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Rukidding7

Newsweek is worth what it sold for: ONE DOLLAR.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

qb & DDAWG,

Churchill's bust was just the fish wrapped in the newspaper.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

DDAWG,

The New York Football GIANTS!!

thnx man

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Obama is actually setting back the prospects of blacks nationally

Who would want to vote for a black now. Now that false charges of racism are all across the nation ?

Clearly if one openly disagrees with a black on an issue, that person now risks a false charge of racism. Not a way to run a democracy. Black candidates all over the nation will suffer as a result of Obama's conduct - for a generation. No one is going to forget what the democrats have done.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's mine:

Gruene, Texas

Horseshoe pit out back of Gruene Hall, Friday through Sunday, 5:00 till closing April through November.

Lincoln

On the Road

Whipping Post

This is Just to Say, Williams

Cheeseburgers

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 25, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

San Francisco

Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

MLK

War and Peace, Tolstoy

Hallelujah, sung by K.D. Lange

The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe

Buckwheat noodles, sauteed with leeks, soy sauce and sesame oil

Add one:

Starry Nights, Van Gogh

Posted by: lmsinca | October 25, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Tao9

Obama holds a grudge over the slave trade. So Obama hates the English

That is why this nation was embarassed when Obama and his wife breached diplomatic protocol with the English

Also Obama holds a grudge over the British colonial hold over Kenya. Obama was born a British subject in Kenya, you know that, right ?

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Halifax, Nova Scotia (Boston without the accent)

None

Teddy Roosevelt

The Star Rover, Jack London

Hurricane, Dylan

Oh Captain, my Captain, Walt Whitman

Chicken Parmesan

The Scream, Munsch

Posted by: holyhandgrenaid | October 25, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

London

My neighborhood (that's why I live there)

Mohandas Gandhi

Anna Karenina, Tolstoy

Seventh Symphony, Beethoven
I Shall Be Released, R.A. Zimmerman

The Peace of Wild Things, Wendell Berry

Salmon

Extra: "Moonrise Over Hernandez" Ansel Adams

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 25, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@tao: "How many 3yr/olds you got?"

Two - twin boys - and they're obsessed with two things: baseball and computers.

@DDAWD: you should always root against the Cowboys. Blech...

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

SunRays rarely shine through the canopy of the Rainforest.

I've been to Kenya, never ran into Barack there.

It's Hawaii, brocephus.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Rukidding7

The strongest military on Earth has don't ask

Why mess with success

Telling us what weaker armies do is simply not a way to win a war, is it?

The objective is to have a strong defense, not to advance social policy

Man, the next thing you will be saying is we should teach young kids in school about homosexual sex, gays and lesbians.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Rukidding7

The strongest military on Earth has don't ask

Why mess with success

Telling us what weaker armies do is simply not a way to win a war, is it?

The objective is to have a strong defense, not to advance social policy

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

scat,

Wonderful!

Twins are magic IMHO (my little sisters have told me so).

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"Don't you people think all educated Americans are idiots?"

No, only some are, although one could quibble about whether an idiot can be educated. Should I tell you who the idiots are?

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 25, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

schrodingerscat,

Less than 20 seconds after the Giants beat the Texas Rangers, the phone rang. My wife said, "Do you think somebody is calling about the Giants?" I told her, "Yes, it's my twin brother." It was.

May your boys always love baseball.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 25, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"Brocephus" from World of Warcraft? Are you saying that YOU were present in Hawaii to witness his birth, and Sarah Obama is a liar?

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw

There is no way there is two of you

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Obama is dragging down the economy worse than any President including Hoover

The nation knows it and it is time to vote out as many democrats as possible

Obama will be next.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Obama is dragging down the economy worse than any President including Hoover

The nation knows it and it is time to vote out as many democrats as possible

Obama will be next.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

all:

Posted by: ScottC3 | October 25, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

tao,

"I think President Obama was showing his contempt for Blair&Brown, and the English colonial record.

Churchill's bust was just the fish wrapped in the newspaper."

He might have been showing contempt for them all. Either way, it's passing curious how suddenly Dinesh D'Souza's recently pilloried theory of the bust return is now taken as obvious truth.

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 25, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

claw12,

Brocephus is a play on Bocephus (aka Hank Jr; & fyi: Cephus is the name given to St. Pete...Selah).

Don't know nuthin' bout World of Warcraft or Sarah Obama.

The Pres is a Yank, just drop it, brocephus.

And, of course...Go GIANTS!!

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

QB

Obama was born a British subject in Kenya

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Toilet paper, it's gotta be Charmin for Bernie.

Posted by: lmsinca | October 25, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey look. It's the alleged child molesting birther.

Everyone point and laugh at the low life.

Oh, and hide your children.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@tao: "Twins are magic IMHO (my little sisters have told me so)."

They are indeed. We're very blessed (and very tired most of the time).

@bearclaw: Great story. I'm fascinated by the notion that my sons have always had each other right there from the moment they were conceived. That's pretty cool.

Now if I could only get them to stop wrestling. :)

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Who are you calling a child molester?

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"And, of course...Go GIANTS!! "

Meh.

Go Rangers!!!!!!!

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Is this our first birther infestation?

I don't recall one before. Rainforest is like Alien, it learns, adapts and attacks.

Greg...call Ripley.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Alleged.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

scat,

no, no, no...I mean the football game right now.

Got no dog in the World Series, but I love the beisbol, and will tune in even though a parochial Easterner.

Both teams are fascinating.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I can speak with some authority on the twin thing as I'm one. Have a twin brother. Same Little League and hockey teams usually. Same elementary classroom. Same friends. You build up your life history like bookends. It's very cool.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 25, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

ScottC3: "I can't believe no one took on the toilet paper question. Hugely disappointing. I guess I must have had that one right."

American toilet paper is the greatest toilet paper on the planet. Self-evident truth.

Greatest song? I just wrote it. This will almost always be my answer, regularly replaced with whatever the latest thing I just wrote was.

Greatest movie? Gone With The Wind. Please note, this is simply an objective truth (established beyond a shadow of a doubt via scientific consensus). I have many favorite movies that top my personal list before GWTW. Sound of Music is a close second.

Greatest Food? Cooked. Or pasteurized.

Greatest person? George Washington. Never neglect the classics.

Greatest city? It's a close call, between Yazoo City, Mississippi and Bucksnort, Tennessee, but I have to go with Boone, North Carolina. Once I visit every city in the greatest nation on earth, I'll be in a better position to assess.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 25, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm late to the party, but I have to chime in:
-NYC
-Mine, in the Lower Hudson Valley; hills that soothe the eye, great neighbors.
-In this country? MLK and FDR
-Can't possibly pick a novel
-Mozart Symphony #41 (the Jupiter)
-Poet--can't decide. Love Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Spring and Fall-Margaret Are You Grieving..."

Posted by: carolanne528 | October 25, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

I'm talking about RaysofShine=STFR with a new M.O. in order to sow confusion and distraction.

I don't even know what claw12 is talking about. Who the heck is Sarah Obama?

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Nah. There was one a while back, bildgeman, that was banned after a while for consistently talking nonsense on the blog. SaveTheRainforst and his friend from the Fix are both birthers.

Should be fun in 20 years time when they read about themselves in the history books as some deranged group of American's that students will read and laugh about.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, we watched the "sing along" Sound of Music last week. You would have enjoyed that.

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know we could throw in movies.

The Pope of Greenwich Village: "You're mozerella's tough sometimes...Tough like f*ckin' shoe leather."

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 25, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Obama has wrecked the economy worse than any President in history

It is that bad.

Unprecedented.

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

tao, Obama's grandmother (on his father's side) has said before that she was present in Kenya when the "alleged" President was born. Sarah Obama claims to have witnessed his birth. Do you as well?

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Carollanne,

Was just in Kingston this a.m., rolling down the T-Way, the colors are rockin' in the Katskills.

Kevin,

Bucksnort, heh!

My Uncle emigrated to TN from Cornell, married Aunt Sarah, a Chattanooga lass; eventually became the School Superintendant for the...
Turtletown/Ducktown, TN district.

I luv that so.

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

You're freakin' serious aren't you, claw12.

Whoa! Never met one in the wild.

Here's the thing...Chief Justice Roberts swore the President in, so you're, uh, too late, brocephus.

He could be from Mordor...but it's too late baby now it's too late, tho you really did try to make it, something inside your brain has died, and you tried but you ain't gonna make it....

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The greatest toilet paper is Scotts Little Pillows (banana scented).

It's produced by Scott Paper of Canada.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 25, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

claw, strf.

I hope you realize the majority of Americans think you're a bunch of racist idiots and you'll undoubtedly go down in history as some odd freak show that was a reaction to an black President.

Just wanted to let you in on why everyone points and laughs at ya.

Let it go. He's the President. All your racially tinged whining won't change that. It only makes you look like more of a freak show.

But, congratulations on being the modern day John Birch Society.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Dorchester and Congress Rules

The world can be a better place

Unprecedented take-down of an Ego

Posted by: RaysOfSunshine | October 25, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Ice cream is the best food.

Other bests and greatests are idle talk.

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 25, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

Reaching across the aisle w/you on this one.

What a wierd late thread.

Gonna go listen to the Gints/Boys...ny38-dal20.

slainte all

Posted by: tao9 | October 25, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

tao and mikefromArlington, I don't really care if you laugh or think I'm a racist. I would be saying the same thing if Obama's father was white too. If we could prove that he was born in Kenya, and he did resign, Obama would be impeached.

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Probably a combo of over excessive late night drinking/meth or something that leads to the open admittance of birtherism and leaves em off their guard.

Slainte 2u 2

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

and with that...g'nite.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 25, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

G'nite, good luck, and to all the lame, oh so lame, ducks in a row, just g'nite.

Posted by: SpendNomore | October 25, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I am not under the influence of any controlled substance(s). Just sitting here watching "Dancing With The Stars."

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 25, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's mine:

Chicago

Used to be Deep Ellum in Dallas, but I was young and I hear it's gone downhill as of late.

Isaac Newton

Animal Farm

Moonlight Sonata, Beethoven

"Where the Sidewalk Ends", Shel Silverstein

The gordita plate from the Little Diner in Canutillo, Tx.(http://www.littlediner.com/)

Blue Nude, Picasso

And if we're doing movies a toss-up between The Godfather, Casablanca, and Talladega Nights.

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"no, no, no...I mean the football game right now."

D'oh! I'm all wound up about the game on Wednesday. Sorry!

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 25, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

OK Ladies I will give you the correct answers

Chicago

New York doesn't cut it - besides the place is overrun by crooks and women who want to be with crooks

Georgetown is the best neighborhood

Wrigleyville is pretty close

O'Reilly

Just kidding, It's US Grant who knew how to drink

The Great Gatsby

Kashmir

Anything by e e cummings

Lasagna

Your Hand

just kidding, you suckas

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 26, 2010 2:08 AM | Report abuse

rukidding7 wrote,
"@Brigade...Glad you realize that Conway is indeed a bigot!

Once again for you bedwetters..a list of countries with no restrictions on Gays serving in their Armed forces.."
--------

Restrictions on gays. I never gave much thought to gays in the military until Clinton. Maybe ru or ceflynline or some other veteran can refresh my memory.

In the mid to late 1960s, young people were fleeing to Canada, going to prison, chopping off their fingers, trying to find doctors who would help them get medical deferments, and just about everything else imaginable to avoid being drafted and sent to Viet Nam. Now we learn that all that was really necessary was to waltz into the local draft board or the pre-induction physical and announce that you were gay. Right. Why do I suspect that was tried a time or two and the draftee forced to sit for three minutes before some quack psychiatrist who immediately pronounced him fit for duty? Otherwise the country would have been teeming with self-proclaimed gays.

Posted by: Brigade | October 26, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Bernie:

"I can speak with some authority on the twin thing as I'm one."

Yikes.

Posted by: ScottC3 | October 26, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

qb:

"Other bests and greatests are idle talk."

True, but isn't pretty much everything that is said here?

Posted by: ScottC3 | October 26, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Since you consider yourself way too cool for this room:
The Waco Kid wants to know:
"What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?"

Posted by: Liam-still | October 26, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

@bernie: "It's produced by Scott Paper of Canada."

Just like the Canadians to try and illegitimately usurp America's Toilet Paper Supremacy.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 26, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

@Scott - there's an elder brother as well - all educator/administrators. You should come visit. We'll lecture. You'll learn.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

@Kevin - I won't even bring up the Avro Arrow.

Here's an interesting headline from Ha'aretz this morning...

"Israel ranks among Western world's most corrupt countries
Receiving a score of 6.1 out of 10 Israel is in 22nd place out of 33 OECD members; meanwhile, U.S. drops out of top 20 least corrupt countries."

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Twins.

O'Hara; My wife just gave birth to twins.

Murphy; Congratulations. Let me buy you a pint, to celebrate the new arrivals. Are they identical.

O'Hara; The doctor says one of them is.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 26, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

An Israeli writes on the assassination of Rabin and the dangers of nationalist extremism. Here's a key sentence...

"When nationalism and our values are in conflict, our values must prevail."

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone vote for John Kasich?

NPR was set to launch its “mini-Political Junkie” segment today with Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland (D) and his Republican challenger — and Fox News favorite — John Kasich. However, NPR reported that Kasich backed out because he didn’t want to take caller questions:

With about 15 minutes before we went on the air, Kasich canceled; his campaign said they did not want to field questions, but from the beginning the Talk of the Nation staff made it clear that there would be questions from listeners.

Perhaps Kasich doesn’t want to be confronted with the fact that he is a climate change denier, that he has no idea how much his budget-busting tax plan costs, or that his jobs plans won’t create jobs. Or maybe Kasich had a date on-air with Fox News’ Sean Hannity so he could raise money for his campaign. (HT: Ohio Daily)

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Bernie:

"all educator/administrators."

Well, you know what they say...those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Posted by: ScottC3 | October 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

U.S. drops out of top 20 least corrupt tcountries."

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:07 AM |

................

But we still are the best country ever, right?

Jack Abramoff will appear on Sesame St, and sing a duet with Kermit, of that great old American Standard: It's Not Easy Being Great.

Listen to Van The Man's version of It's Not Easy Being Green.

Fantastic. Give it a listen. It will make your morning.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

All, Morning Roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday to Doonesbury...

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Liam said: "But we still are the best country ever, right?"

Not "best". "Greatest". Much more manly and regal. "Best" is the term you'd use for the sort of Fall Fair beans or heffer contest rankings we see above. Pedestrian stuff. There's no nobility in it. No 'standing astride continents'. The 'best' pumpkin producer isn't presumed to have a God-like relation to others around.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Bernie. Now I feel much better, knowing that we are The Greatest At Being Great, and will always be The Greatest At Being Great.

I feel like Monty Burns should just give us his Outstanding Achievement In The Field Of Excellence, award, every year.

Excellent! Release the hounds on those Danes.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 26, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@Liam: "But we still are the best country ever, right?"

@Bernie: "Not 'best'. 'Greatest'. Much more manly and regal."

"Most totally awesome ever" will also work.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 26, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse