Juan Williams gets it right

I know the last thing you all want to hear is more on the Juan Williams mess. But it seems only fair to point out that he now seems to have said pretty much what his critics wanted him to say -- that it's wrong to judge people based on their Muslim garb.

Williams's latest was buried deep in a piece he wrote for Fox News that's been widely mocked because of his suggestion that NPR's firing of him constituted "one party rule" and was comparable to sending journalists to the "gulag."

Here's the key bit:

Yesterday NPR fired me for telling the truth. The truth is that I worry when I am getting on an airplane and see people dressed in garb that identifies them first and foremost as Muslims.

This is not a bigoted statement. It is a statement of my feelings, my fears after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 by radical Muslims. In a debate with Bill O'Reilly I revealed my fears to set up the case for not making rash judgments about people of any faith. I pointed out that the Atlanta Olympic bomber -- as well as Timothy McVeigh and the people who protest against gay rights at military funerals -- are Christians but we journalists don't identify them by their religion.

And I made it clear that all Americans have to be careful not to let fears lead to the violation of anyone's constitutional rights, be it to build a mosque, carry the Koran or drive a New York cab without the fear of having your throat slashed.

Unless I'm missing something, despite what he says here, Williams did not make it clear during his segment with Bill O'Reillly that his admission of fear of Muslims was a prelude to arguing against "making rash judgments" against people of different faiths. Indeed, that was precisely what ticked everyone off yesterday.

I was never comfortable with Williams' firing, and it seemed to me the resulting media explosion was disproportionate to the transgression. But it was fair, I thought, to take a whack at Williams for not articulating clearly that even if it's understandable to be suspicious of people in Muslim garb in airports, it's groundless and irrational, and we should do our best to resist it.

It seems like that was clearly his intent here. And he has also now made similar comments to ABC News. So now let's leave the guy alone and let him get on with his life as a full-blown, out-of-the-closet Fox News personality already.

By Greg Sargent  | October 22, 2010; 3:53 PM ET
Categories:  Foreign policy and national security, Political media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Conservative groups have spent up to $75 million in undisclosed funds, dwarfing left
Next: Happy Hour Roundup

Comments

Except Juan started out by saying that he agreed with how Bill O'Reilly was laying the blame on all Muslims.

After that:

When someone prefaces their remarks with: Look Bill, you know I am not a bigot; that is an admission that he was not just blurting out something, without being aware of how incendiary his words were. He said them knowingly and intentionally.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

NO - IT'S WRONG TO FIRE SOMEONE FOR WHAT THEY SAY

IT'S CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH

GREG YOU ARE UNAMERICAN. SIMPLE.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wbgonne | October 22, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Liam, I agree that yesterday's comments were problematic. But I think he's cleaned them up now.

And Leafoflife seems to have missed me saying that I was not comfortable with his firing.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 22, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is Kumbaya the Pickpocket's (O Administration) strict and exact resistance to the big corporations that are ruining things:

But ultimately resolving the problems is not the government's responsibility, said Michael Barr, assistant Treasury secretary for financial institutions.

"Fundamentally, this is up to the banks and the servicers to fix," he said. "They can fix it as fast as they feel like."

Read the rest at Huff Post.

I just laugh when I hear Dem lemmings here talking about the Big Bad C's taking over. They've taken over your own man as he sings:

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya...

Posted by: Papagnello | October 22, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought McVeigh was agnostic.

"full-blown, out-of-the-closet Fox News personality already."

a hopelessly out-of-date AIDS reference? really?

Posted by: NoVAHockey | October 22, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 22, 2010 4:02 PM |

You do know that he is STRF and many other names, which is why I prefer to refer to him as Sybil?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I’m still not quite over the most disgusting part of the Juan Williams spectacle yesterday: watching the very same people (on the Right and in the media) who remained silent about or vocally cheered on the viewpoint-based firings of Octavia Nasr, Helen Thomas, Rick Sanchez, Eason Jordan, Peter Arnett, Phil Donahue, Ashleigh Banfield, Bill Maher, Ward Churchill, Chas Freeman, Van Jones and so many others, spend all day yesterday wrapping themselves in the flag of “free expression” and screeching about the perils and evils of firing journalists for expressing certain viewpoints. Even for someone who expects huge doses of principle-free hypocrisy—as I do—that behavior is really something to behold. And anyone doubting that there is a double standard when it comes to anti-Muslim speech should just compare the wailing backlash from most quarters over Williams’ firing to the muted acquiescence or widespread approval of those other firings.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Sharron Angle should demand that Harry Reid produce his birth certificate.

Harry Reid was born in Kenya. Jomo Kenyatta's housemaid told me that she cut the umbilical cord.

She swears that Harry is really a black man, who is suffering from a skin condition known as Reverse Bohnerism.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Juan Williams was fueling FEAR of the other and he has been amply rewarded with his lucrative contract with FOX. He was wrong and freedom of speech as Rachel Maddow said is expression of ones own opinions. But the platform for that SPEECH can be selective. Only since FOX has every NUTCASE wacko bigot been give a nationwide platform to express their inner utmost bigotry nationwwide. NPR has standards of broadcasting and it was appropriate to fire this guy. His speech was offensive and uninformed.

Posted by: CarmanK | October 22, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

here is a letter sent out by NPR re the William's firing.
It appears he was warned in the past and explains the rules of employment.
Given his statements, it appears that he was warned and chose to disregard those rulings.

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:05 PM Subject: Juan WilliamsDear AREPS,

Thank you for all of your varying feedback on the Juan Williams situation. Let me offer some further clarification about why we terminated his contract early.

First, a critical distinction has been lost in this debate. NPR News analysts have a distinctive role and set of responsibilities. This is a very different role than that of a commentator or columnist. News analysts may not take personal public positions on controversial issues; doing so undermines their credibility as analysts, and that’s what’s happened in this situation. As you all well know, we offer views of all kinds on your air every day, but those views are expressed by those we interview – not our reporters and analysts.

Second, this isn’t the first time we have had serious concerns about some of Juan’s public comments. Despite many conversations and warnings over the years, Juan has continued to violate this principal.

Third, these specific comments (and others made in the past), are inconsistent with NPR’s ethics code, which applies to all journalists (including contracted analysts):

More fundamentally, “In appearing on TV or other media including electronic Web-based forums, NPR journalists should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist.”

Unfortunately, Juan’s comments on Fox violated our standards as well as our values and offended many in doing so.

We’re profoundly sorry that this happened during fundraising week. Juan’s comments were made Monday night and we did not feel it would be responsible to delay this action.

This was a tough decision and we appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Vivian

Vivian Schiller
President & CEO, NPR

Posted by: mgardener | October 22, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

GREG YOU ARE UNAMERICAN. SIMPLE.
-------------------------------------
Whatever happened to the obsequious "our gracious host Greg"?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

According to one of our commenters here, the firing of Juan Williams violated his free speech rights. In other words, Juan Williams has a constitutional right to get paid for his thoughts. And Fox stepped in to protect the Constitution to the tune of $2 million.

So when do we commenters get our paychecks?

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

REAL ISSUES:

"Wells foreclosed on me (husband lost his job) and house went to auction 01/24/09. The county records still lists the house in my name. The county was sending me notices to cut the grass etc... in May of 2010 I sent copies of the papers showing that Wells had foreclosed and they could cut the grass not me. Then Wells put the house on the market cut the grass etc... now it is 10/22/10 house still in my name. How can they sell it when it is in my name??? In MD my county you must have org. deed with "wet ink sig." to transfer deed to another name I don't think Wells has it. I have moved to a condo did not wait to be kicked out should have stayed in the house. I called the court yesterday the foreclosure case is closed settled so I asked when is the bank going to put the house in their name? Court Clerk says she does not know when this will occur? Now I am afraid Wells can not sell the house and will dump it on me. I tried to do a mod several times and went through ch. 7 my lawyer did not have a clue. These banks are raping America and the Gov. is letting them get away with it. It is hurting everyone, if you own property this is going to hurt you down the road. Something has to be done to force this into the open. I pray that Wells does not find some fool to buy my house and then what? WHO OWNS IT???"

commented on http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=170014

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya, o lord, Kumbaya...

Posted by: Papagnello | October 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

LeafofLife, you do not understand the legal idea of freedom of speech. The First Amendment says that "Congress shall pass no law abridging the freedom of speech..."

Williams was not locked up for what he said. I think that a person can be fired for what he/she says. In fact, at times people should be fired if what they say could be detrimental to a business. NPR should be able to hire and fire as it sees fit just as any company should.

What galls me is NPR's explanation and how it is being applied inconsistently as shown by all the Nina Totenberg comments.

If an employer finds that something you say is detrimental to the business, then they have a responsibility to fire you. I do not think that Juan's comments would be detrimental to NPR's businees though.

Posted by: newsgroupssam | October 22, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

NO - IT'S WRONG TO FIRE SOMEONE FOR WHAT THEY SAY

IT'S CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH

*********

How do you muster the brain power needed to breathe?

The first amendment doesn't guarantee anyone the right to a job as a journalist.

Listen you retarded assh0le, go back to dry humping your life size inflatable Michelle Malkin doll and don't come back until you finish your GED.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's what Juan Williams doesn't get -- that his "personal truth" that he responds to the sight of Muslims on planes with fear has as much to do with ignorance as it does with 9/11. He also doesn't seem to understand that what he should or could be doing is not simply acknowledging his fears and being careful not to violate anyone's rights, but trying to understand the role that ignorance plays in his fears.

He said something about Muslims who self-identify "first and foremost as Muslims." What the heck does that mean? They wear Muslim headgear? The speak an Arab tongue? They have the Koran tucked under their arms? What?

My impression -- my growing impression -- is that Juan Williams is not particularly bright. He thinks acknowledging his fear is the height of courage and honesty. He seems incapable of going beyond that.

One thing he may also think -- I can't tell, but certainly many of his suddenly vocal supporters think this way -- is that anyone who doesn't "acknowledge" feeling nervous upon espying a Muslim on a plane is not being honest, is just being P.C. This is just B.S. and reminds me of the racist Marge Schott's inability to believe that there were white folks who didn't use the "n-word," at least in the privacy of their own homes.

I live in L.A. and know a fair number of Muslims. The family two houses down is from Iran, and their son and my son grew up as best friends and are still best friends. Perhaps simply because of this experience, the mere sight of a Muslim on a plane does not cause me fear. I understand conservatives may not believe this, but it's the truth. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only "white person" who feels this way.

Posted by: LynnDee227 | October 22, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Obama as Eliot Ness:

Look, well, the thing is, Al Capone knows the inside machinations better than anyone, so, we've decided to rely on his expertise to clean up the mess.

Kum
Ba
Ya
My
Lord...

Posted by: Papagnello | October 22, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

How come the libs never seem to get pissed off at Bob Beckel?

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I hope you don't mind if I repost this here. I just posted it on your first thread on this subject, but now that the discussion has moved here, I'll post it again....

I do not believe that Juan Williams was simply articulating his fears in an honest way. I don't buy that for a second.

Mr. Williams knows full well that the safest seat on an airplane these days is probably the seat next to a Muslim dressed in traditional garb. We all know that passenger has been more thoroughly screened and targeted than anyone else on the plane. Al-Qaeda is not going to dress up terrorists to look conspicuously Muslim and then put them on airplanes to alert everyone that they are about to wreak havoc.

So it's nothing but dumb for Mr. Williams to have made that remark, and he knows it. He also knows that the real threat is from Americans who have been recruited by Al-Qaeda and who look just like the most all-American citizen in your community.

And since Mr. Williams is well aware of this, one can only surmise that his remarks about fearing Muslims who look like Muslims is really nothing but fear-mongering hate speech and racial profiling.

And NPR has every right to decide that they no longer want to pay him good money for that.

Posted by: elscott | October 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It is NOT wrong for a private employer to fire someone because of what they say. That is a profound misunderstanding of what it is that the Bill of Rights actually protects.

Posted by: LynnDee227 | October 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"NO - IT'S WRONG TO FIRE SOMEONE FOR WHAT THEY SAY"

Were you this exercised over the woman in 2004 who was fired for refusing to remove her "Kerry/Edwards" bumpersticker?

"IT'S CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH"

I don't necessarily believe that Williams should've been fired over this, but could you please show me where in the constitution it says that someone is required to employ you while you are busy exercising your right to say what you'd like?

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This attack on NPR is another attempt at right wing dominance and also to distract from the overwhelming infusion of cash from the Chamber and other right wing groups this election.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | October 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"What's most distressing about this is that Fox immediately signed Williams to a $2M contract, suggesting that they were REWARDING him for saying he feared Muslims."

Only to nimrods. What it suggests is that FNC was smartly capitalizing on free PR.

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Juan Williams was clear in his comments, and it was clear he was distinquishing between extremist muslims and everyday muslims. I am offended by this obviously left leaning commentator that firing Juan was ok !!!!!! NPR was way out of line to fire him on a pretense !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Miraflores1 | October 22, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I must say that it does my heart good to see so many rabid right wingers feeling heartbroken over the firing of a "liberal" journalist and commentator.

Nah; those are not crocodile tears flooding out the Fox studios, and washing the EIB golden microphone away. They really really are heartbroken each time some liberal journalist loses a gig.

If Juan was a real liberal; Those Right Wingers would be dancing in the streets, at the news that he had been let go.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miraflores1 | October 22, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Come on Greg!

If you don't pay us for our comments, you are violating our free speech rights! ;)

Show me the money!

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Just one more whack at Williams; saw this at TPM: Muslims Wearing Things

Posted by: carolanne528 | October 22, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"I am offended by this obviously left leaning commentator that firing Juan was ok !!!!!!"

ZOMG!!!!! Greg is left-leaning????? I'm going to write a letter right now and ask that his blog be put in the "Opinion" section or something.....

Posted by: schrodingerscat | October 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

What it suggests is that FNC was smartly capitalizing on free PR.

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 4:15 PM

*****

Exactly right. Rupert Murdoch could slip and fall into a wood chipper and I wouldn't shed a tear, but he is one smart guy and savvy businessman.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

In A Nutshell.

Juan William said that Muslims on the same plane as him, scares him.

Millions of planes fly around the United States every year. Juan is far more likely to be killed by a lighting strike, a gun shot, or in a car accident, than he ever going to end up on the same flight as a terrorist.

The guy is an irrational Scaredy Cat, moron.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Come on Greg!

Show me the money!

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:20 PM

*******

Maybe that is why SaveTheRainForest / Classic777 / CapitolorCapital / LeafofLife keeps changing his name so often: he is trying to get extrap pay by pretending to be several posters.

Nah, its because he is a retarded assh0le and everyone hates him.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

NPR CEO Vivian Schiller on Thursday said that Williams should have kept his comments between himself and “his psychiatrist or his publicist.” Schiller later apologized for the comment.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44009.html#ixzz137aqILpe

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

37th is simply unaware of an old adage. The freedom of the press belongs to those who own the press.

On NPR hypocrisy: I expect the immediate firing of Mara Liasson.

She appears in the same group as Juan does every Sunday morning.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | October 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

This is getting serious. I you don't fulfill your constitutional duty to pay me for my opinions, then I'll have to start posting on Bill O'Reilly's site, where I'm sure I will be welcomed and handsomely compensated as required by the First Amendment!

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

OT:

SHOCKER!

-New Black Panthers Case Politicized from the Start-

The dispute over the Panthers, and the Justice Department's handling of it, was politicized from the start, documents and interviews show. On Election Day, the issue was driven by Republican poll watchers and officials and a conservative Web site.

At the department, Adams and his colleagues pushed a case that other career lawyers concluded had major evidentiary weaknesses.

[...]

Morse raced back to the GOP headquarters. "This footage is golden," he recalled thinking. But Hill stayed put. A Republican official, he said, alerted him that Fox News was sending a reporter.

Within two hours, Morse's video had been uploaded to ElectionJournal.org, a conservative Web site, and Fox played it in newscasts. CNN posted the video online.

Calls poured into the Philadelphia district attorney's office reporting voter intimidation at Guild House. But staff members realized they were from cable news viewers as far away as Florida.

No call had come from a registered voter in Philadelphia.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 22, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miraflores1 | October 22, 2010 4:19 PM |

I dunno, I'm not convinced. Maybe a few more exclamation points would help.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | October 22, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Mara was warned by NPR about being introduced as a representative of NPR,when she appears on that Fox Sunday show.

NPR does not want their name linked to Fox News.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

For The Record:

"NPR reporter pressured over Fox role
By: Josh Gerstein
December 6, 2009 10:36 PM EDT

Executives at National Public Radio recently asked the network’s top political correspondent, Mara Liasson, to reconsider her regular appearances on Fox News because of what they perceived as the network’s political bias, two sources familiar with the effort said.

According to a source, Liasson was summoned in early October by NPR’s executive editor for news, Dick Meyer, and the network’s supervising senior Washington editor, Ron Elving. The NPR executives said they had concerns that Fox’s programming had grown more partisan, and they asked Liasson to spend 30 days watching the network.

At a follow-up meeting last month, Liasson reported that she’d seen no significant change in Fox’s programming and planned to continue appearing on the network, the source said."

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I, too, am afraid if muslims are on the same airplane I'm on. I just might get off that plane. There are so many Islamic terrorist attempting to destroy America, one can never be sure, so why take a chance with your and your families' lives??? That would be stupid. I do not trust the muslims and do not want to be around them. That is my decision and there is nothing wrong with that. Give me a neighborhood of Jews and I would gladly live there (I am not Jewish). If the muslims had not stolen our airplanes, killing thousands and destroying the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and killing hundreds in a field in Pa., strapping bombs to their bodies and killing innocent children, women and men by the thousands in restaurants, subways, trains, ships, blowing up Embassies and killing innocents, perhaps people would not be so afraid of them, but until they become peaceful and apologize for all the killings, they are not acceptable to me or to many, many, many others.

Posted by: libertymeanslife | October 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The Juan Williams situation is the WORSE THING FOR OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS RIGHT NOW

The last thing Obama needed was another "the far-left liberals have gone too far" narrative.

However, the people at NPR just did that TO OBAMA.

One has to wonder.

I am happy that the liberals are completely incompetent. What is their message - they want to regulate HEALTH CARE, SPEECH AND HOW YOU FEEL ???

It is a joke.

The liberals who try to defend this, go ahead, you sound ridiculous.

I hope this discussion goes on ALL next week.

The liberals have GONE TOO FAR - Time to put a check on Obama, and balance out our government.

I am happy this happened now instead of after the election.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Fundamentalism used by people in power in poor, underdeveloped nation.
In former USSR it were atheists which promote fundamentalists theory. Stalin used Russian Orthodox Church to fight against German, despite he was atheist.
In poor Germany Hitler used Christian religion to promote the same fundamentalist theory. ““In public, Hitler often praised Christian heritage, German Christian culture, and professed a belief in an Aryan Jesus Christ, a Jesus who fought against the Jews.”

Right now radicals of Muslim religion are more dangerous by using fundamentalism. Every day bring to us more stories about killing people in the world by religions fanatics.
Unfortunately most moderate Muslim afraid these fanatics and do not fight back.
In time, when Iran-a Muslim country searching for nuclear bomb, when all around the world people stoned, killed in name of Allah for me it is very suspicion that moderate Muslim in our country trying to build Mosque in sensitive area.
Political correctness is good, but we must remember, that terrorist suspect work in nuclear power plant more than 6 years. Insider could bring damage in nuclear power plant bigger than Chernobyl.
As moderate Muslim as all our society must understand reason for fear and do the best to stop extremism in the world.

We need to be more rich, prosperous country to fight against fanatic. We must do the best to promote better living in the world.
We no need to calm Muslim extremists by showing that Christians are the same or better than Muslim.
We no need build Mosque in sensitive area to calm Muslim extremists.
Poverty is our worst enemy.
In rich countries we have less extremism.
Jobs, not Mosques, or Christians and Muslim believe must be main agenda in our mind.

Posted by: mioffe | October 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm the profile NPR listener who likes their shows because there isn't all the yelling and shouting, the sound and fury that signifies absolutely nothing. But
I am very, very angry with the Juan Williams firing and how it was handled. To me, it's political correctness run amok.

NPR's 'nice and neutral' approach to news doesn't work in the real world. While I'm glad NPR doesn't have screaming idiots on the left or right, I resent their enabling approach of, 'oh, your poor sweet pristine ears shouldn't hear such ugly things' -- even though those things aren't anywhere close to hate speech.

Still, it's hard not to be cynical because everybody got what they wanted. Juan Williams gets a new more lucrative contract with Fox News. NPR got rid of a divisive figure who many disliked working with. Vivian Schiller doesn't have to back down for the lousy way they handled this. And then there's instigator Bill O'Reilly, who once again gets the attention he so desperately needs, while reminding everyone who the real Prince of Darkness of the post-Cheney age is.

Posted by: PeteNY | October 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Since NPR exists because of my tax money, shouldn't it make some attempt to give voice to the concerns of the people who are involuntarily forced to pay for it?

All tax money is extracted from the people by thugs with guns and passed on to other people to use for their own purposes. So NPR is supported by nothing other than theft and extortion.

Posted by: tehart1 | October 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Greg, you work at/for (sort of) the Washington Post, do you have any intel on the following?

******

WikiLeaks and its erstwhile mainstream media partners this weekend will release hundreds of thousands of documents relating to the Iraq war's conduct, a representative of one of the news organizations confirmed to Mother Jones.

A New York Times representative told MoJo that the data dump is coming soon, and other news outlets are reporting that the leak will form the basis of the Times' page 1 coverage Saturday. Al-Jazeera also confirmed the leak, saying it "has had full access to the documents." That would be a new development; in previous Afganistan coverage, WikiLeaks has leaned exclusively on the Times, the Guardian, and Der Spiegel.

The Iraq document dump had been rumored to occur earlier this week, but WikiLeaks' secretive honcho, Julian Assange, took potshots at those reports. It appears the leak had been held off to give the mainstream news organizations more time to mull the documents over, but that couldn't immediately be confirmed Friday.

********

According to Andrew Sullivan the documents will show more proof of war crimes.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Fundamentalism used by people in power in poor, underdeveloped nation.

Unfortunately most moderate Muslim afraid these fanatics and do not fight back.

We no need build Mosque in sensitive area to calm Muslim extremists.
Poverty is our worst enemy.
In rich countries we have less extremism.

Posted by: mioffe | October 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Keep going liberals.

Keep on telling everyone what you think is RIGHT to say -

and RIGHT to feel.

And if you express HOW YOU FEEL, you should be vilified.

This is more about Fox, that Juan Williams was going on Fox - and the new management team at NPR didn't like that.

So NPR initially APPROVED Juan Williams going on Fox, then they didn't like it, is that it?

NO, it is more about JUAN WILLIAMS IS BLACK.

If he was WHITE, NPR would have NO PROBLEM with his expression of views - no, the liberals believe that if a person is black, they should hold certain views.

The liberals believe that the Color of one's SKIN should determine how they think.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "The liberals who try to defend this, go ahead, you sound ridiculous."

Well, that's certainly a compelling argument. My gosh. Who wants to sound ridiculous? Dear me. I better rethink everything.

What else ya got? :D

Posted by: LynnDee227 | October 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I have flown on many commercial flights all over the US in recent years. I have never noticed even one passanger, that I would take to be a Muslim, or some one I should fear.

Where are all these Right Wing Bed Wetters finding all those traveling Muslims. Are they sure they are not just being scared of some old ladies in long dresses?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

=============================

That's the very definition of FAUX Nooze. Facts have a liberal bias.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LynnDee

Im not sure if you are quoting me, but that person is correct.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

________________________

this is the way the liberals think.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

____________
Seems pretty cut and dried to me. If people are upset at Williams not being able to repeatedly violate his terms of employment I guess they can always try to unionize.
In the meantime, $2 Mill to fellate Murdoch is good money, (it will patch a lot of trousers-even if it IS Murdoch).

Posted by: whereareweandwhatarewedoinginthishandbasket | October 22, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

libertymeanslife,

Have you bothered to research how many innocent Muslims have been killed by American forces in, oh, the last nine years? Or do you not accept the concept that, say, a Muslim child in Baghdad can be "innocent"?

Are you sure you want to live with Americans . . . I mean, until they become peaceful and apologize?

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you're really a basket case, aren't you, Leaf of Life? And obviously a waste of time to discuss anything with -- which I can't help but think you already know, or why else the need to spam and pepper your posts with UPPERCASE? You're like a child having a tantrum.

Anyway, have a nice weekend. Take it easy. Relax.

Posted by: LynnDee227 | October 22, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

even though those things aren't anywhere close to hate speech.
...
Posted by: PeteNY | October 22, 2010 4:38 PM |
=================

Take a look at the two comments above yours, Pete. That's who Bill O'Reilly, and in this case, Juan Williams, are pandering to.

They're demonizing an unpopular minority in this country in order to appeal to frightened bigots.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Suekzoo1: "I dunno, I'm not convinced. Maybe a few more exclamation points would help."

It's hard, what with Ethan2010 bogarting them.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I could not listen for very long but don't you know who appeared on Glenn Beck's radio show this morning -- none other than Juan Williams. It was actually kinda funny listening to the two of them talk about how they disagreed but "respected" each other so much that they could have a conversation and that they wished that the folks in Washington could get along just like they do.

The bowing to the foxgods is complete. Williams will earn his 2 mil.

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

LynnDee227,

You have encountered someone who has a history of thread-bombing with lies and meaningless drivel, triple-spaced and in capital letters. You have quickly surmised the futility of attempting to engage or reason with the pitiable things. Good for you.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"NO - IT'S WRONG TO FIRE SOMEONE FOR WHAT THEY SAY ... you wrong, leafoflife!
Sorry it's not about that. It's about watch your back when it comes to your employer. your relation with an employer is not about free speech. As elscott put it, "NPR has every right to decide that they no longer want to pay him good money."
Ever work for anyone before, leafy?

No it's not distressing, it's kind of funny, IMHO. NPR's excuse for the firing Williams was so lousy it turned my stomach "you can't be an activist and a journalist at the same time," or some such slop. It's good to have NPR CEO Vivian Schiller's post, but She drives me away from her organization, even though I'm a liberal. But if he had a history of problems, then that's the organization's business. Very weak move, even though Williams was wrong. here's why.
NPR puts out very good material, and I'm a liberal, but this whole thing is wierd.

Williams is entitled to share his feelings even though they're misguided. Think about it: the people in muslim garb are really kind of wearing their Sunday best, putting their best foot forward, showing repect because they may be on their way to a family event, etc. etc. If you're bent on bombing someone you disguise yourself and don't stick out. The real terrorist is blending in, by wearing a baseball cap and a cubs sweatshirt or something. It's what's in the criminal's mind that's the threat, not the clothes they wear. I guess Williams just wasn't thinking.

Posted by: tleeuwenburgh | October 22, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Sharron Angle hasn't heard about this new unlimited right to free speech either.

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

LynnDee227 | October 22, 2010 4:49 PM

You are trying to talk reason to the Plum Lines resident retarded assh0le. Don't bother.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

LynnDee is a quick study. I have to admit it took me longer to get it.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"“In appearing on TV or other media . . . NPR journalists should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist. They should not participate in shows . . . that encourage punditry and speculation rather than fact-based analysis.”
____________
Seems pretty cut and dried to me.
--------------

So why haven't they fired Nina Totenberg?

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I know many have noted that the 9/11 hijackers were not in Muslim garb, so Williams's fear was misplaced. Like most conservative talking heads, he reasons like a 2 week old kitten (ooh, look at that!). If there are people in Muslim garb at an airport or on my plane, I would feel safer. Chances are that most frightened Americans (the Republic party) would be staring at the people in Muslim garb so very little out of the ordinary could occur.

It reminds me of the Republic party spokeshaircuts who shriek about balancing the budget even though anyone who has read Milton Friedman knows that when times are economically bad, you borrow. When times are good, you save, as we did during the 90s. When economic times became bad, the Bush team cut taxes on the rich, which they all turned into savings.

Logic escapes these people.

Posted by: FidusAchates | October 22, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

ClassicLeafRainforest is a retarded assh0le for sure, PR but he is not THE retarded assh0le. There's still a strong competition for that dubious honor. There's also sbj, the retarded assh0le cheerleader.

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw

I thought you said you were going to O'Reilly's site - to post your thoughts over there.

I think that is a good idea - go.

And the nasty comments toward the other posters - those are PERSONAL ATTACKS and against the rules.

So, please stop.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

PAUL LANE

You are unaware that you are just wrong all the time.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

What a minute, I heard Rick Perry is a gay cheerleader too. sbj, are you running for governor of Texas?

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice the unintentional irony in this thread's title:

"Juan Williams gets it right"

In light of him just having received a $2 million contract from Faux News?

He got it right all right; far right, right enough. Juan now has The Far Right Stuff.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Williams articulated quite clearly his thinking, which was: "If I see you, and you look like a Muslim, I see you as a 'terrorist' and I am terrified!" And this is racist, isn't it? I am sure Williams didn't like when the blacks were considered 3/5 of persons until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - because it demeaned him as a black person to be only 60% person, and 40% ape! But appearing on the O'Reilly show, which can only be classified as the epitome of bigotry, he just could help but either playing a bigot to please his host, or just revealing that he is a bigot himself!

I have had hundreds of Muslims students during my 20 years of college teaching, and I can testify here that they are more respectable that our youth. But with all the lynching against Muslims that has flooded the media since 9/11, bigots have come to sound patriotic. And williams is just cashing-in with his $ 2 million contract with FOX news to spit out more bigotry. And why not. Luis Farrakhan called "Judaism a gutter religion," and he got $ 5 millions form Muammar Qaddafi.

In closing, I have this quote from Adolf Hitler: "All who are not of good race in this world are chaff." And I honestly feel that Williams just sounded like Hitler! Thank you NPR for nixing him. Let him become a $ 2 million nitwit in the Fox Bigotry Gallery. Nikos Retsos, retired professor

Posted by: Nikos_Retsos | October 22, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I think when you are in a discussion with Bill O'Reilly, you don't have the luxury of coming up with a complete polished statement. Haven't you ever watched his show? I don't think there is a point to parsing Juan Williams' words so precisely in order to divine his meaning on The Factor and whether that meaning has now changed today. You would be happy to get in a complete sentence when talking to O'Reilly.

Posted by: matt_1344 | October 22, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

In any job, we have be be careful not to get involved in away from work actions that compromise our and our employers integrity. Its my understanding that Washington Post does not allow its employees to endorse products for the same reason. Juan Williams does not seem any different than the school teacher posting pictures of doing jello shots at spring break. If he really wanted to protect his position at NPR, he should have limited his role on Fox to the news panel shows but stayed off of O'Riley Factor and Hannity who are both well known for not getting the facts right and only giving one side.

Posted by: EricfromNC | October 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 5:02 PM

I disagree. I actually like SBJ. He is no Kevin_Willis, but he isn't SpamTheRainForest / Classic777 / CapitalorCapital / LeafofLife either. SBJ is NOT retarded. Is he/she intellectually dishonest? Maybe he is, sometimes, but not always.

JakeD2 admits he is here trying to kill this blog, but that doesn't make him a retarded assh0le.

When I say SpamTheRainForest / Classic777 / CapitalorCapital / LeafofLife is retarded because he can't spell (he spells nonsense with a hyphen) he can't think and his posts show his intellect is less than your average Cockapoo. He is an assh0le because he spits out wingnut nonsense on a liberal blog all day in an attempt to "hippie punch." Therefore he IS the Plum Lines Retarded Assh0le.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"It's hard, what with Ethan2010 bogarting them."

The only reason you're counting my exclamation points is because every time I make a post another neoconfederate lie is shot down.

Gotta suck for you.

For example:

-Police Say Joe Miller Security Team Couldn't Identify Victim Allegedly Assaulted By Journo-

according to the Dispatch, the APD report says that neither the police, several witnesses interviewed by the police, nor even Fulton himself could identify the victim of Hopfinger's alleged pushing.

OOPS!

VICTIMLESS ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 22, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The personal attacks are really getting out of control

Again, the Conservatives are really the ones keeping the peace around here - with restraint.

The election is coming - just chill out people. Firing Juan Williams was more about liberals being upset about the polls than anything else.

Blame Obama

If you don't like how the country has REJECTED liberalism, blame Obama. But then again, blame YOURSELF for electing an inexperienced and UNQUALIFIED PERSON - it really is a joke. If Obama was in a private company, he would have been fired a long time ago.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Juan is now free. It's sort of like a Disney film.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 22, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

matt_1344

Come on; all those shows plan what they are going to talk about, before going on camera.

Juan said that he agreed with what Bill O'Reilly said about Muslims.

Then Juan said; Bill you know I am not a bigot;

That reveals that he knew he was about to say something incendiary, yet he did so, while knowing that it was going to start a firestorm.

It might have all been done intentionally, since I doubt that the new contract just come out of the blue in just one day.

I smell a Fox publicity stunt.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Paco

You haven't said anything intelligent, or ON topic for a long, long time.

You are simply here to personally attack other posters.

HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF? Your life must be rotten, just living to attack people who are exercising their Freedom of Speech.

How do you even look at yourself in the mirror?

YOU must hate America.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

This is Hilarious:

Oops: University e-mail tells campus to vote for Democrats

Political E-Mails Spark Complaints at Winston-Salem State U.

It turns out that portions of the e-mail encouraged students and faculty and staff members of the public university to vote for Democratic candidates. It also provided a link to the county Democratic Party’s Web page. [...] Within a few hours on Monday, university officials sent out a retraction...

[...]

But representatives of the state Republican Party did not believe the retraction was enough and called for equal time. Feeling that they needed “to do something, even though it wasn’t the best thing,” Ms. Young said, the university sent out a campus-wide e-mail identical to the original message, but with promotional material from the GOP. Because that e-mail also violated state law, the university was forced to publish a retraction for the Republican-leaning message, too. “The second one was just as illegal as the first one,” Ms. Young said.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 22, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

PR ... I didn't say sbj is a retarded assh0le, just that he is their cheerleader.

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Liam - When someone loudly proclaims they are NOT something nobody ever accused them of being, that usually means they are what they are denying being.

This isn't always true, of course. But it is a good rule of thumb.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Folks if you have any left over exclamation points, that you are not using; please donate them to a good cause. TrollMcWingNut is all out of his, and Ethan refuses to share.

Here; left me get the ball rolling by donating !!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody should have to go to bed at night while starving for exclamation points.

Give until it hurts.

The Dump Truck of Enthusiasm that I ordered has just pulled up, so I am off with my shovel to fill in The Gap.

I bid you all good night and good luck.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 22, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Few democratic candidate are running in favor of Obama's health care plan.

Quite amazing, the signature plan of Obama is getting rejected by its own party.

IT'S THE COSTS, STUPID.

One may say this little benefit is good, or that little benefit, but WHAT are the overall costs???

The American People are going to be SHOCKED when they realize how EXPENSIVE Obama's health care plan is.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pragmaticstill

*****

True. But really, nobody compares to STRF in the stupidity category or the hippy punching jerk category. At least not in my opinion.

I think we could get rid of him by sending him a carton of white out. If he ever learns to spell he would realize his spelling errors and spread the white out all over his computer monitor. I doubt he would ever be able to figure out what is wrong with his computer and he would just give up.

There is one problem with that plan though; he lives at Mistress Spanksalot's School for Retarded Assh0les, and they don't accept deliveries.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

This isn't always true, of course. But it is a good rule of thumb.

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge
+++++++++++++

"I'm not a crook."
-- Richard M. Nixon, November 17, 1973

"I'm not a witch."
-- Christine O'Donnell, October 2010

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

NeoConfederate ???

That is hilarious.

Just shows you how far the liberals go to hate someone.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw

You said you were going to O'Reilly's site to post

Go.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

ALL

Is something going to be done about the personal attacks on this blog???

People on this blog claimed how intelligent and serious their discussions were - I haven't seen it.

On the rules - there is little enforcement - so who knows what the rules are ???

However

If the rules are to be enforced, there are SEVERAL VIOLATIONS ON THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

5:43 p.m.: "If the rules are to be enforced, there are SEVERAL VIOLATIONS ON THIS THREAD."

4:00 p.m.: "GREG YOU ARE UNAMERICAN. SIMPLE."

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@Prag: "I didn't say sbj is a retarded assh0le, just that he is their cheerleader."

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I thought for a minute there you were calling me a retarded cheerleader.

And that would be rude.

To cheerleaders.

And retarded people.

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Dammit Liam!!!!!11!!1. Once again you bring teh funny!!!!1!!1!11!!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!!!!11!!1!1!1!1eleventy11!!11!!

Next thing you'll do is tell me you hope the Rangers win!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 22, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of what's to be done...

Any news on the troll repellant which is allegedly coming?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"so who knows what the rules are ???"

Who knows there is a link at the bottom of every comment page?

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

4:00 p.m.: "GREG YOU ARE UNAMERICAN. SIMPLE."
-----------------------------
5:54 p.m.: Greg, you are a Great American. Please save me from the evil liberals who are BREAKING THE RULES. I really like you, Greg, and respect nearly every word you write. REally, I do.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Sbj3,

As a well known a$$h0le myself, I was offended.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 22, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

If the rules are to be enforced, there are SEVERAL VIOLATIONS ON THIS THREAD.

*******

Have you noticed that all the comments you object to are aimed at you? Do you want to know why? Because we hate you and we want you gone. Why? Because we don’t like retarded assh0les and that is what you are, you retarded assh0le.
If you were to leave all those comments that hurt your fee fees would stop. The solution is simple – don’t go away mad, just go away.

Because I’m feeling charitable I’ll provide you with a website that you will love. There are plenty of liberals there for you to annoy and they are closer to your intellectual level:

Posted by: PaciolisRevenge | October 22, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

HEY GOP, STOP TRYING TO STEAL MY SS BENEFITS!

The combined effect is a dramatic cut in benefits for most beneficiaries. People with the most generous benefits would see their monthly payments drop from over $2000 to under $1000 over 60 years. Middle earners would see a nearly 50 percent drop over the same time period.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 22, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues,

It is a remarkably bipolar creature, isn't it? One moment full of bravado, churning out lies and insults, even insulting Greg, and the next moment groveling, begging to be protected from the evil liberals. One moment arguing that banning is a violation of free speech, and the next moment calling for strict enforcement of The Rules!

A truly remarkable pathology.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

ALL

Is something going to be done about the personal attacks on this blog???

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

6:01 p.m. Greg, you are THE man. That wasn't me saying you are unAmerican. Some of the liberals here are impersonating me and writing notes to you saying evil things about you.

Make the liberals respond to my posts. I am an AMERICAN. It is the AMERICAN thing to do. Make them do it.

I repeat, you are not unAmerican. As far as I know.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.
--------------

So why haven't they fired Nina Totenberg?

____________________________________
I don't know what was done with Totenberg back in '95. Perhaps she was also admonished, (as it appears Williams was on multiple occasions). What you appear to be arguing for is the employee being able to make his own rules-and disregard his conditions of employment. Quite an anti-capitalist position I would think. Careful-unless your position is mere wind-blown opportunism, your bonefides might come into question.

Posted by: whereareweandwhatarewedoinginthishandbasket | October 22, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't see a piece entitled "NPR Gets It Right"

12Bar - you come on here almost daily to engage in PERSONAL ATTACKS.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@incomprehensible name: "What you appear to be arguing for ... "

Is consistent enforcement of the rules.

Posted by: sbj3 | October 22, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

It would be really a fine thing if folks were to stop with the personal slanders.

Posted by: bernielatham | October 22, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

6:03 p.m.: "Is something going to be done about the personal attacks on this blog???"

4:00 p.m.: "GREG YOU ARE UNAMERICAN. SIMPLE."

Hmmm, it appears the creature is suffering from short-term memory loss.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

6:11p.m. Dearest Greggie, have I told you lately how fond I am of you? You are the best writer and even cute if your picture can be believed. One little favor--get rid of the horrid 12BarBlues. She is really nasty and everyone here hates her.

Don't listen to anyone else because they are all crazy. Just listen to me.

Have I told you how much I like you in black?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 22, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

All, Happy Hour Roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 22, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw

Take care of your own posts

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

4:00 p.m.: "IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT LIBERALS STOP TRYING TO SAY WHAT SPEECH IS WRONG AND WHAT SPEECH IS RIGHT"

5:43 p.m.: "Is something going to be done about the personal attacks on this blog???"

Chronic cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 22, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The significance of this episode, is it proves that liberals are lying through their teeth when they claim they want a "dialogue" on race or religion or Islam.

They've got a prepared politically correct script with a prepared politically correct conclusion in mind. And their notion of a "dialogue" is they get to read their talking-points from their prepared script, while the rest of us can do nothing but sit silently with our hands in our laps. It's really a monologue in which the Left bashes America, white folks, and capitalism, while all we get to do is nod our heads up and down.

They want a "dialogue"--as long as you don't mention things like the history of Muslim jihad, the way Palestinians openly celebrated the 9-11 terrorist attacks again and again, and the virulent anti-Semitism among so many American blacks (culminating in the Crown Heights pogrom).

Just try to mention any of THOSE things, and liberals start yelling "Bigot!", "Racist!", "Neocon!", and anything else they can think of to shut you up.

Such as demanding that your boss fire you from your job.

Posted by: sinz52 | October 22, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Uh...No!

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | October 22, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

PAUL LANE

You are unaware that you are just wrong all the time.

Posted by: LeafofLife | October 22, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

----------

I was wondering how long it would take for 37th&O to get personal. That's Dr. Lane to you.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | October 22, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

As a general rule, if you can shave at least a half point off your current interest rate, it is a good idea to refinance. If you currently have a home mortgage above 7%, the time is now to make a change.
Look online for "123 Mortgage Refinance" they gave me the lowest rate than everybody else which is 3.21%

Posted by: tonyblinn | October 23, 2010 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Mr Williams commented that on seeing folks in Muslim garb on an A/C, it made him nervous. So be it. I get nervous when a see a number of young men who might fit an Islamic profile scattered about an A/C.

The large majority of of folks in either of these situations are probably good & decent people. Am I irrational (or racist)to fear the small minority who might pose a danger to me? I don't think so.

If I'm a public figure & I publicly voice these concerns is it OK for my employer to fire me? Yes. Smart, NO!

Posted by: pat1652 | October 23, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

"NO - IT'S WRONG TO FIRE SOMEONE FOR WHAT THEY SAY"
is a much broader category than "Congress violated Williams's First Amendment rights". Also, personal attacks against our gracious host are different because the Washington Post "encourage[s] users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs . . ."

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

@p1652:Wrong? I don't think so.If driving & happen into an ethnic (or just run down) neighborhood. I also get nervous.

Actually you are exhibiting a prejudiced or bigoted attitude by ascribing the actions or propensities of individuals to the general class of individuals they belong to...

Bigotry has a long and storied past in the US, featuring 400 years of slavery and apartheid (Jim Crow), but also including the great discrimination hits against:
-the swarthy, darker skinned Southern Europeans (all Catholics, socialists, even communists or all of the above)
-The stupid and inferior "races" from central Europe (Polish, Slavs, etc.)
-the yellow peril from China and Japan
-the dirty, uneducated Irish, etc.
-the lazy and untrustworthy "beaners" that drop anchor babies, suck up social services, and plot to "darken" American culture...

Since I am from one of those groups, I experienced the prejudice and bigoted attitudes throughout my childhood and I still occasionally hear offhanded bigoted comments (not necessarily aimed at me) at work or in bars etc.

With a 400 year old tradition of prejudice, discrimination, and bigotry, its not surprising that casual bigotry is misunderstood or ignored.

Posted by: srw3 | October 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Vivian, It is not WHY Juan was fired that got me upset. It is HOW he was fired. You handled it very poorly and attacked him personally. I cannot believe you said what you said. Unless there is a "fire" in you, you wouldn't have said such a thing. (So your explanation is not convincing at all.) It is fundamentally unfair to anyone. People are fair minded and don't like what they see. This is totally independent of why Juan was fired. I love NPR, but expect highly of NPR as well. You are really a big disappointment.

Posted by: indi2 | October 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I would think that as a journalist, being fired for honesty would be a badge of honor. Since when did journalists become sniveling company lap dogs. Now if we could just get Greg to express his honest opinion about things instead of humping Obama's leg 24/7 we would really be getting somewhere.

Posted by: peterg73 | October 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Williams made that point very clearly in the original segment, Greg. You guys just stopped listening when you'd gotten what you needed from it.

Posted by: jimtreacher | October 24, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse