Sharron Angle promises Tea Party candidate "juice" if he drops out of race

By now you've surely heard that Nevada journalist Jon Ralston has obtained audio of an extraordinary private meeting between Sharron Angle and the Nevada Tea Party candidate for Senate, in which Angle trashes the GOP leadership at length.

But the real news on this audio, which deserves more attention, is this: Angle seems to clearly promise that her access to the GOP leadership, and her "juice" with them, will enable her to "help" the Tea Partyer, Scott Ashjian, if he drops out of the race.

Angle promises Ashjian that her "juice" as a Senator will allow her to "help those who help me." Angle says: "Whatever juice I have, you have as well."

The key quote is clear if you listen to the audio that Ralston has posted. Much of the discussion concerns Angle's desire for Ashjian to embrace her candidacy, and at one point she says she could lose the race if he doesn't.

And then, at around the 32 minute mark, Angle is talking about how much "juice" she has as a result of the Tea Party movement's support for her, and seems to suggest this gives her clout with GOP leaders. Here's what she says:

"That gives me juice to help those who help me. That's really all I can offer to you is, whatever juice I have, you have as well. You want to see DeMint? I have juice with DeMint. I go to Washington D.C. and I say, `I wanna see Jim DeMint,' he's right there for me. I say `I wanna see Tom Coburn,' he's right there for me." I wanna see Mitch McConnell, he's there."

At a minimum, you have to think that the GOP leadership in Washington is going to be very ticked off with Angle for putting this so crudely. What do McConnell and DeMint have to say about this?

UPDATE, 2:25 p.m.: Also: Since Angle is attending an NRSC fundraiser for her on Wednesday, you have to imagine that NRSC chair John Cornyn can't be too happy with this quote, either.

By Greg Sargent  | October 4, 2010; 2:06 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections, Senate Republicans, Tea Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The 'magic' of the Supreme Court's rightward shift
Next: Is overall liberal dissatisfaction with Obama overstated?

Comments

Maybe she was referring to "orange juice"? Whatever it is, it's not as bad as Obama promising candidates CABINET-level positions for dropping out.

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

What they have to say undoubtedly starts with Zip It.

Posted by: KathleenHusseininMaine | October 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

At least you have to give Sharron Angle credit for honesty.

What's the deal with Jon Ralston? Is he the kingmaker of Nevada.? He's everywhere, doing everything, in the center of every political conversation. He must be one amazing guy.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Permit a translation of Mr Sargent's post:

I don't exactly what all of this means, but I'm willing to claim that it is something nefarious.

How sad and small of Mr Sargent.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

sort of amazing that skipsailing cares more about my post than about what a Senate candidate is caught on tape saying, isn't it?

interesting priorities.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 4, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"all I can offer to you is"

Key phrase.

Here she is openly horse-trading in a backroom deal.

This is The Crux of the Tea Party anger against the establishment, and yet here she is wheeling and dealing before anyone even have the chance to vote.

The Tea Party is one giant scam designed to pull the wool over the eyes of disaffected Republican voters, and to keep the MSM from realizing that the Republican Party is disintegrating from the inside out.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think what she is saying that this Tea Party does not serve Tea For Two. Get the hell out of here, and let me drink all the tea.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sharron Angle piously proclaimed on her original website that she would never do secret back room deals.

Well, until one became expedient, LOL sharronangle.blogspot.com

Posted by: BGladd | October 4, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Hot Air is reporting that Ashjian himself is the one who secretly taped his conversation with Angle, then leaked the audio to Ralston. Just when you thought Nevada politics couldn’t get any dirtier…"

Posted by: sbj3 | October 4, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

So much for all that B.S. conspiratorial talk from the Right, accusing Mr. Scott Ashjian of being Senator Reid's Stalking Horse.

Crazy paranoid TeaBagging wingnuts!  Clearly Mr. Scott Ashjian is a paragon of virtue and is his own man

Anybody claiming otherwise is clearly delusional and not serious.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

SBJ,

Did "Nevada Politics" force her to say,

"All I can offer to you is, whatever juice I have, you have as well."

No, I don't think it did.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
Good Lord. Is there a clue as to why he would do that? Does Ashjian think he can knock Angle out of the race and get her supporters?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kurtz (via Hot Air):

"Secretly recording a United States Senate candidate? That sure sounds like a down-and-dirty trick.

"And while Sharron Angle says some mildly embarrassing things in her conversation with a tea party candidate in Nevada, I’m not sure it hurts her. Why? Because many voters will probably sympathize with her over the surreptitious taping.

"Angle says, for example, “The Republicans have lost their standards, they’ve lost their principles. … Really that’s why the machine in the Republican Party is fighting against me. … They have never really gone along with lower taxes and less government.”

"And why would she be full of praise for the GOP? The party establishment lined up behind her primary opponent, Sue Lowden. If anything, the leaked remarks will probably help her in the race against Harry Reid among those who are fed up with both parties."

Posted by: sbj3 | October 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

SBJ,

Greg, did his part. He posted another Angle thread, so now you must do your part and send Angle another donation. I think Greg is just trying to bankrupt you.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Clearly Mr. Scott Ashjian is a paragon of virtue and is his own man"

Clearly Ashjian -- the ONLY real Tea Party candidate -- just exposed the establishment Republican in the race as a typical Republican fraud.

And you're pissed off, Troll, because you WANT the establishment Republican to win.

Really sucks, don't it? For you, yes.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What a stupid argument for Angle to make. Wouldn't Scott Ashjian have "juice" of his own if he was elected Senator?

Harry Reid is the luckiest guy on Earth.

Posted by: boloboffin1 | October 4, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

No, 12 bar, I think Troll just told us how the right will try to spin this -- "It's all Harry Reid's fault."

Just like Whitman in California, her problems are all Jerry Brown's fault.

Why can't the right ever take responsibility for their own actions?

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:28 PM |
................

Or he may just think that she is too dangerous and crazy to be allowed to get elected to the US Senate, just like Mike Castle feels about Christine O'Donnell, and Carl Rove does on alternate days.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The first post debate poll is out in CA governor race. Brown +5 per Rasmussen 10/3/10.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting, Greg, that you treat this as a “gotcha”…speaking honestly either in public or in private. Your preclusion is to find Mrs. Angle a typical politician that speaks out of both sides of her mouth. Is it because most full-time pols do? Now, we have a citizen-politician that is as sincere in public as she is in private. What a concept!

Posted by: philipparker19 | October 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: philipparker19 | October 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Tea Party Republican NUTJOBS!

O'Donnell In 2006: I Know 'Classified Information' About Secret Chinese Plot To Take Over U.S.!

At a 2006 Republican primary debate:

"""She said China had a "carefully thought out and strategic plan to take over America" and accused one opponent of appeasement for suggesting that the two countries were economically dependent and should find a way to be allies.

"That doesn't work," she said. "There's much I want to say. I wish I wasn't privy to some of the classified information that I am privy to."

...

When Ting challenged O'Donnell's claim about having secret information, O'Donnell didn't answer specifically but suggested she had received it through nonprofit groups she worked with that frequently sent missionaries there."""

YIKES! Freaks are in charge of the GOP!

Popcorn anyone? :-D

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@Greg: "You have to imagine that NRSC chair John Cornyn can't be too happy with this quote."

I'd have to imagine that Cornyn might agree with Pelosi"

"She insisted that she didn’t mind efforts to take aim at her... Nor... does she object to Democrats in conservative districts appealing to their constituents by criticizing her.

“I say go for it,” Ms. Pelosi said. She would counsel those vulnerable Democrats, “Just win your election.”

Posted by: sbj3 | October 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So much for all that B.S. conspiratorial talk from the Right, accusing Mr. Scott Ashjian of being Senator Reid's Stalking Horse.

Crazy paranoid TeaBagging wingnuts! Clearly Mr. Scott Ashjian is a paragon of virtue and is his own man

Anybody claiming otherwise is clearly delusional and not serious.

Posted by: TrollMcWingnut | October 4, 2010 2:27 PM
.................

Clearly, you are correct Sir, which makes it all the more puzzling why The Obtuse Angle tried to lean on him.

I am going for the simplest explanation, and agree with you that Sharron must be;

"clearly delusional and not serious"

Of course "delusional and not serious" is an oxymoronic paradox, since the delusional are always serious.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Ashjian will drop out?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"we have a citizen-politician that is as sincere in public as she is in private."

SINCERE?

What on Earth are you talking about?

Her whole campaign is based on the idea of ending backroom deals and her she goes getting caught on tape MAKING A BACKROOM DEAL!

How are her comments decrying backroom deals "SINCERE" now that she has been caught making one?

Jeez. Sincere. What Sharron Angle has exhibited here is the exact OPPOSITE of sincere! It's called being a liar.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to imagine that Cornyn might agree with Pelosi"

Posted by: sbj3 | October 4, 2010 2:36 PM

...................

Good man you are SBJ, for having the honesty to urge Republicans to emulate Nancy Pelosi.

You better find some safe-house to hide in, until the Tea Party stops trying to hunt you down.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I see REPETITOUS NITPICKING about the Tea Party

However, very little evaluation of what Obama has done - compared to his promises.

Very little evaluation of Obama's economic policies - and what economic adjustments have to be made.

I see very little evaluation of how the democratic leaders in the Congress have done.

All I see is nitpicking - repetitious - about statements which the candidates allied with the Tea Party have made.

So the LEADERS - the people with the power - do not get evaluated - but the people who, if elected, will only be freshmen in Congress, with little power - those are the people who are getting all the attention?

Is that it?

The American People care about the ECONOMY - and how well Obama has done with the economy - That is what is going to be on their minds going to the ballot box. The democrats - in trying to create these constant distractions - are still FAILING the American People - because the democrats STILL aren't doing what they are supposed to do: Take Care of the Economy.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

This is the same Tea Party Terrorist Traitor who called for the violent overthrow of the democratically elected government of the USA if they lose the elections in November.

Posted by: thomasmc1957 | October 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:34 PM

...............

But Meg is still by far the highest bidder for to purchase the slightly used Governorship.

California should think of putting a "Purchase It Now" steep price on the item, to help pay off their large debt.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Will Ashjian drop out? Not now that his ego is on the line. Looks like all of this backfired in a major way. Angle wishes she'd never talked to Ashjian. Ashjian looks like a dummy for taping the conversation. Ralson looks like the go-to guy for all things political.

Then, there's Harry Reid...but he's not hurt by this. Helped? Probably.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------
Very clever, liam. But it's "Buy It Now".

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say this again -

Jane Hamsher of Dog Fire Lake River Stream Hill

Today she said that she and Rahm Emanuel were in favor of a stripped down health care bill which was much LESS expensive.

This is precisely the discussion the nation was attempting to have last winter and spring - Obama REFUSED.

Obama refused to discuss any of the health care bill - the bill could NOT be made to be less expensive.

Did the nation have a discussion about the various options under the health care plan?

Obama first appeared to NOT take a position on the health care provisions at all - then the nation all of a sudden sees a 2,000 page bill - and Obama is willing to "throw a few ideas in"

One has to remember that Jane Hamsher is supposed to be on Obama's LEFT -

Is it possible that even someone like Jane Hamsher has been subjected to deceptions and lies about where Obama really stood on the issues ?

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

On Noes! A dirty politician!

Top story -- Angle doesn't care about anyone by Angle.

2nd story -- Neither does Reid.

Posted by: NoVAHockey | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------
Very clever, liam. But it's "Buy It Now".

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:51 PM

....................

Sorry.

I was not aware of the exact terminology, since I leave the handling of all my Ebay transactions to my undocumented staff.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm just amazed. I thought being corrupt required one to be fairly intelligent and fairly sane, you know, just to give one the wherewithal to manage it. And then along came Angle.

I do NOT look forward to her shrieking about fraud at the polls come 11/3.

Posted by: hellslittlestangel1 | October 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

In other words, Mr Sargent, I translated your post correctly.

You admitted that what is going is not clear. Here are your words sir:
"It's not entirely clear what Angle is saying here. In one sense it seems like she's merely saying she'll function as the Tea Party's voice in Washington if elected to the Senate. But it also carries a clear whiff of the sort of dealmaking that routinely takes place behind closed doors but almost never is expressed in public, and never quite this directly."

Where, oh where, does this whiff come from sir? Are you having an olfactory halucination, or are you just once again showing a desire to mischaracterize everyone who disagrees with the liberal agenda?

The angle race is only tangentially interesting to me, I cannot vote in it. But your words, MR Sargent require close attention. As I noted, this is just part of the machinery that the left relies on.

Does the word Macaca ring a bell? You and the other liberals at WaPo will keep throwing this nonsense against the wall in the hopes that something sticks. How is that journalism?

I note you don't bother with Rand Paul. Is the lead too big?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@liam,

My familiarity with the exact term comes from my lack of staff. I look around and the only person I see is the dog. ;)

But he's got papers (I think).

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"a citizen-politician that is as sincere in public as she is in private"

That's how we now describe ignorant lunatics running for high office?

Posted by: wbgonne | October 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Smart point from Steve Benen:

Angle added, however, that in the U.S. Senate, there's likely to be a small contingent of extremists. "When I go [to D.C.], there may be five or six of us.... Maybe Joe Miller (Alaska), Ken Buck (Colorado), Christine O'Donnell (Delaware)." She said Florida's Marco Rubio might even be part of the group.

If I'm the DSCC, I'm running with this in Colorado and Florida.

I can see the FL ad now:

Rubio part of Angle's gang of extremists?

Crist says he would have been an Independent even if he won the GOP primary?

You cannot trust either of them to be true to their word.

You CAN trust Democrat Kendrick Meek, the only candidate running to represent you, Florida's Middle Class, in the Senate.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

On Noes! A dirty politician!

Top story -- Angle doesn't care about anyone by Angle.

2nd story -- Neither does Reid.

Posted by: NoVAHockey | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM

.................

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I have the perfect explanation as to why Mr. Scott Ashjian would record that conversation.

Now that Breitbart's little slimeboy O'Keefe gets taken down again in yet ANOTHER setup..even Breitbart is distancing himself from the poster boy for geeky nerd's revenge O'Keefe. Ashjian probably is simply auditioning for O'Keefe's old position in the Breitbart organization.

@STRF Whoa dude...you stuck to a single line post up there and so I actually read it...you know without all the freaking doublespacing. And you finally hit one out of the park when you said...
"Perhaps if Linda McMahon was caught talking about juice, then the democrats might have something."
That's some seriously funny snark dude.
Now if only you hadn't triple spaced after the one liner. :-)

Posted by: rukidding7 | October 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Now you have a scoop; when you say that Harry Reid does not care about anyone but "Angle"!

Ha! that would be a good one.

Posted by: NoVAHockey | October 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm still perplexed as to why Ashjian would tape this conversation and leak it to Ralston. Anyone have any ideas? I really doubt Ashjian wants Harry Reid to win, so let's belay that idea.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

For someone who hasn't even been elected, it sounds like Angle is just a bit too impressed with herself and her own perceived power in DC.

Oh, it IS fun to see the little monsters that the GOP have created and now need to deal with.

If she thinks she has so much "juice" to spread around to her buddies, it's possible that she's been hitting the "sauce." ;)

I see an ad campaign here....."Got Juice?"

Haha!

Posted by: elscott | October 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The margin's too big?
Kentucky Senate - Paul vs. Conway
SurveyUSA
Paul 49, Conway 47 Paul +2

---

I can't say as there's much shocking about Ashgate (thank you, thank you). Angle was a bit clumsy about it, but then again, that epitomizes her candidacy. Unfortunately, she's finding out there's no honor among thieves.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | October 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Pant Suit Juice... ask Hilary Rodham. Estrogen Mojo.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld1 | October 4, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Politico reports:

Ashjian secretly recorded their conversation and gave the tape to veteran Nevada political journalist Jon Ralston – all of which was completely legal, according to David Roger, the district attorney for Clark County.

Roger told POLITICO that as long as Ashjian was present for the entire conversation, his recording is lawful – even if Angle or others did not know they were being recorded.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43095.html#ixzz11Q3UF8He

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone of you catch the 60 Minutes report, last night, with video showing endless lines of Oil Trucks, streaming out of Iraqi Kurdistan into Iran. They are selling Oil, Refined gasoline, etc to Iran, which violates the international sanctions regime.

This is the thanks that America is getting from the Kurds for having protected them from Saddam, and for having "liberated' them. Heck of a job Bushy!

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I could be wrong about this, but I thought Nevada was one of the states that prohibits taping of conversations without the consent of all parties to the conversation. Did Sharron Angle consent? Was the recorder in plain view, such that consent is implied? The Tea Party candidate, Mr. Ashjian, could be left with no juice, but lots of hot water.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Leave the gun in her hands and she will shoot herself in the other foot, too.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | October 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

not a real big fan of polls f blade and here's why. You've got yours from survey USA.

here's Rassmussen:
"Republican Rand Paul continues to hold a double-digit lead over Democrat Jack Conway in Kentucky’s U.S. Senate race.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in Kentucky shows Paul earning 49% support, while Conway picks up 38% of the vote. Five percent (5%) favor some other candidate in the race, and eight percent (8%) are undecided."

Hence my question to Mr Sargent.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

hey, mm, long time no see. ;-)

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

in response to this:
============

================

yeah, that Bush blew it. The world was soooo much better when the kurds were getting oppressed by the Saddam Hussein regime.

Remember when the left had a soul?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine." Seems like her ethical stump against the Dems is being cut fro under her. Same ol', same ol' - they are against power until they taste it.

Posted by: cadam72 | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

bearclaw: why speculate when you can look it up? (Nevada, like most states, allows one-party consent.)

Posted by: hellslittlestangel1 | October 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the left had a soul?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 3:24 PM

.............

Nice to see that you have no objections to the Kurds, our so called allies, that lots of American lives were sacrificed to protect and free, are breaking brazenly violating the international sanctions regime against Iran.

I am glad to see that you admit that the Left had a soul, and only the right never had one. You are a clear example of the soulless, commerce is all that counts, pseudo patriots that the American Right now represents.

By the way, the Kurds would have been in far less danger, had Reagan not send the starter kits for the WMD to Saddam, so he could use them in his war against Iran.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what might say about the loyalty of the Kurds, and what Bush or Reagan did or did not do, I'll bet that the Kurds were not exporting oil to Iran when Saddam was in charge. Or am I wrong?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the Right actually gave a d@mn about American national security?

You can't?

Me either.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 3:45 PM |

................

And we had Saddam contained. He was not able to attack the Kurds, so that is just the latest phony excuse coming from the Neo-Cons, now that all their other lies, about WMD, and "Looming Mushroom Clouds" and "Working With Al-Qaeda" have been exposed.

The truth is that the Bush/Cheney invasion is what opened the door for Al-Qaeda to walk right into Iraq, and they are still there to this very day.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan2010: "YIKES! Freaks are in charge of the GOP!"

Irrespective of the quality of the GOP as a whole, Angle, Miller and O'Donnell are not in charge of the GOP. Not yet, at least.

I don't think O'Donnell is going to have much of a future in the GOP past November, unless she wins by some freak accident.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Angle’s Handlers: Please Don’t Listen to Sharron, She Lies

Which lie is it? The Las Vegas Sun reports this morning that Sharron Angle's campaign is claiming a powerful new Reid TV ad criticizing Angle's opposition to coverage mandates for mammograms is based on a bill Angle made-up in her mind, but never actually sponsored. Angle handler Jarrod Agen:

“Reid’s campaign made a false ad, they have no evidence of the bill they reference,” spokesman Jarrod Agen said in an e-mail.

But for his claim to be true that our ad is false, Angle's campaign would have to admit she was lying about the non-existent bill she says she sponsored. The ad – like so many others this cycle – is based simply on Angle in her own words, talking about her own record.

[...]

“Sharron Angle’s effort to hide her extreme and dangerous agenda from Nevada voters has taken on a disturbing twist, escalating a campaign based on lies even further – her new DC handlers are now arguing the Reid campaign’s ads are false, because they quote Sharron Angle in her own words,” said Reid spokesman Kelly Steele. “With a ‘pathological’ candidate, it can be tough to keep track of all the lies, but it’s truly shocking that her new DC handlers are resorting to the argument that our ad is false because their candidate was lying.”

Hilarious! Video links and more at the link above.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@Kevin, really?

Fat chance.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

2 OTers:

* Blumenthal Leads by Double-Digits *

With their first debate scheduled for tonight, a new Public Policy Polling survey in Connecticut shows Richard Blumenthal (D) leading Linda McMahon (R) in the U.S. Senate race by 12 points, 53% to 41%.

Blumenthal's favorability rating is 53/39, while McMahon's is the opposite, 39/59.

The only Republican Senate candidates with worse favorability numbers than McMahon were Joe Miller, Sharron Angle, and Christine O'Donnell.

* Democrats Close the Gap *

A new Rasmussen survey shows Republicans leading Democrats in the generic congressional ballot by just three points, 45% to 42% -- the smallest gap between parties in roughly a year.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

All, more evidence that liberal dissatisfaction with Obama is overstated:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@elscott: "For someone who hasn't even been elected, it sounds like Angle is just a bit too impressed with herself and her own perceived power in DC"

Here, here. That's was the thing that jumped out at me. I expect these conversations happen amongst elected officials of all stripes, at all levels, across all ideological and party divisions. But Angle, not yet elected, sounds awfully big for britches in that conversation.

"Look, if I want Superman and Batman, I just whistle, and they come running. I'm sorta like the president. You know that, right? It's almost like I'm really the president. So, if you stick with me . . . we'll make magic."

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Kevin_Willis

I just took what she said literally, and assumed that she was referring to drinking juices only, because fluoridation would sap her precious bodily fluids.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

wow did this guy get sucked right in:
==============

=========

Where, oh where did I say that I have no objection to what the kurds were doing laim-still? quick point it out, even to me.

this is just the same kind of projection that Mr Sargent relied upon with the minimum wage posting. It is just nonsense.

yeah, the left had a soul. When it lost it, I left. All the left cares about now is power. the power to order the lives of everyone around them. they want to dictate everything, right down to the kind of light bulb we use. that's just soulless socialism and we've seen how that works.

so spare me the lies pal. Stop projecting. Start thinking. You just fell into an obvious trap. You put words in my mouth.

No doubt you're among those most loudly clamoring for the banning of certain visitors here.

and it is not commerce that counts. it is freedom. That seems to be a concept that the left ignores at its own peril. Freedom, liberty, self reliance are what made us great. Nothing that I've seen from the likes of you supports those basic concepts in any manner.

Your final paragraph is pure speculation. Perhaps you'd like to believe it, so chant it like a mantra. but its a hypothetical and therefore beyond proof.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't find anything wrong with what is going on here. It seems that using the words "juice" and "secret recording" are making this into a super kool-aid mixture of political BS.

Posted by: amiman1 | October 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@Ethan2010: "Do you actually think that McConnell, Boehner, and Steele have more *ahem* JUICE than Jim DeMint, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh?"

Not sure about all of their relative levels of juice, or if they favor vegetable juice over fruit. However, I don't think they all belong on opposite sides--but, more to the point, O'Donnell has not taken over the party, as far I can tell. Glenn Beck and Limbaugh are certainly having an effect, however. And will be around long after O'Donnell is gone.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 4, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I hear that Howard Kurtz says the Angle tape leak will help her. He is saying something derogatory about "Tea Party tactics".

Anybody here agree?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think they all belong on opposite sides"

They don't. That's my point. They're on the SAME side, the Republican side, except that the Republican ideology is not being run by the party's elected leaders but the FREAK-SHOW nutjob fringe.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

skipsailing28

Your silence on the Kurds betrayal, was deafening. The only thing you wanted to express outrage over, was your hastily assembled strawman, about those on the "left" no longer having "souls".

If the Kurds violating the sanctions against Iran had bothered you, then you would have expressed your outrage.

Greg, nailed you earlier on, when he pointed that all you wanted to complain about was his choice of thread topic.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The underlying assumption in all of this is that somehow something nefarious is going on. Where's the proof of that?

Isn't it completely possible that Ms Angle, if victorious, could help this other fellow in ways that are totally open and above board? For example, she could act as an entre to some of the guys who work with candidate selection, or campaign funding. Perhaps a Republican in congress has an opening for a staff member?

Certainly not all influence is used for unethical or immoral purposes and it is interesting to note how muscle bound the left has become by its eagerness to jump to conclusions. I called Mr Sargent on this had his reply was that my priorities were wrong. Still he has only his own speculation to fuel the commenters here and it is working.

the left needs some cheering up I guess. And nothing seems to make lefties here happier than the opportunity to spew bile about people they don't like.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@skip,

So are you saying the bogus controversy will help Sharron Angle? If so, you join Howard Kurtz who is grumbling about Tea Party tactics.

Do you think Ashjian will drop out now that he's secretly taped the conversation and leaked it for public consumption.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes Indeed Skippy,

And you would be the first to make that very same point, if it were two Democrats on the tape, saying the very same things. LMAO

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Teabagger buffoons (the Republican base) were against "back room deals"?

Liar and hypocrites - all of them!

Posted by: DrainYou | October 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:

This Just In:

Sharron Angle has placed a rush order with Jack LaLanne, for a shipment of 99 Juice Machines.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

While we can wring our hands about who's the bad guy for trying to get their opponents to drop out, and if we do so, we will be here all day slinging mud at each other.

This is politics. All that matters right now is who is helped by the tape getting leaked. Will it be helpful to Sharron Angle? Or will it hurt her? I'm ignoring the effect on Ashjian since he polls so low.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Caught putting words in my mouth that I never said, liam-still resorts to even more projection to cover his faux pas. This is just more nonsense.

Essentially liam still claims that because I didn't say something, I must have meant something. yeah, right. How weak can you be?

A simple admission that I never stated what you claim would be the adult (dare I say manly?) thing to do.

Clearly that's beyond your ability.

It is nice to know the character of the people with which one interacts. Now I know the character of liam-still.

Mr Sargent may be able to ring his pavlovian bell and get you to drool, but as I stated above, much of this is pure projection. The left NEEDS for this to be nefarious and in the absence of hard evidence that it is, they will just insert lies.

Just read her own words: "Juice is all I have to offer." Influence, that's it. Isn't that actually, you know, like true? She didn't offer a job, at least Mr Sargent didn't state that she did. She didn't offer money or anything else. Just a chance to use her influence, such as it is, when she gets to DC. You need this be some admission of wrong doing, hence the poo flinging, even from Mr Sargent.

Again, thanks for demonstrating the depth of your character. I'll keep this in mind.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

12Bar, if I may address you by your first name?

That is an almost impossible question to answer. All I can do is speculate that it will not hurt her with her hardcore Tea Party base, but how it will play with the undecided is all that really matters, and there is no way to say how they will react to it.

My own political gut tells me, that it is not an issue that will shift many votes. Of course in such a tight race, micro shifts can be of huge importance. Look at the small number of votes that Al Franken won by.

I doubt if this tape release will cause a major impact on the decision making of the remaining undecided bloc.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@skip,

We know what you didn't say, but what do you say? Will this tape hurt Sharron Angle's election chances?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

How much is Reid paying this ringer?

Posted by: Truthteller12 | October 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA! This is hilarious.

The Spokeswoman For Teabbagger Lunatic Sharron Angle Condemns.....Sharron Angle

You know you're having a bad day when one of your spokeswomen condemns you for peddling propaganda:

"The chairwoman of the Nevada Republican Hispanic Caucus, who moonlights as a spokeswoman for Sharron Angle, this week denounced the Republican U.S. Senate candidate's ad on immigration."

"Tibi Ellis on Monday told 1060 AM Spanish radio host Edwin Saldarriaga that she doesn't agree with Angle's depiction of illegal immigrants in a campaign ad released earlier this month."

"I condemned this type of propaganda, no matter who is running them, where they blame Mexicans as the only problem and where they attack them as the only source of illegal immigration," Ellis told Saldarriaga. "I don't agree with that."

Proving only that the job market in Nevada is really rough. A situation, by the way, that nutty Sharron Angle says wouldn't be her job to address if she's elected.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I drew attention to the report on 60 Minutes, about Iraqi Kurdistan violations of the Sanctions against Iran.

Skippy, through to his name, skipped right over that central point, and decided that he would instead beat his chest about how great it was that Preisdent Bush got so many US troops killed and maimed to liberate those Kurds, who are now busily stabbing us in the back, and helping Iran defy sanctions that are designed to pressure them into halting their development of a Nuclear Arsenal.

I have your number all right Skippy.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@liam,

IMO, the consequence of the leak is that Ashjian is NOT going to drop out. Otherwise, why would he leak the tape? So, he will not be swinging his voters toward her. I have a suspicion he's got a grudge against Angle that precedes this taping.

With Mrs. Angle' base, I don't think it will hurt her.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Fox News in Las Vegas has this backstory:

Angle campaign says Ashjian called for the meeting. Ashjian campaign says it was her campaign. Per Ashjian's campaign manager, Ashjian agreed to meet with Angle hoping to get an apology for Angle's lawsuit to get off November general election ballot.

"They wanted Scott to get out of the race, and they wanted him to endorse her," Burns said. “Why would we call her? We don’t have anything to offer her. It’s ridiculous. Why would we contact Sharron Angle?"

Ashjian holds high the principles of the tea party movement, and has no plans of backing down, Burns said.
-------------------------
Ah, ha. I thought I smelled a grudge here.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

And here is why Ashjian made the tape:

Ashjian, who confirmed the authenticity of the tape to CNN Sunday night, said he had decided to record the session in case there were misrepresentations in the press. He decided to leak it after he got upset with some of the initial portrayals of the meeting and an earlier phone conversation with a lawyer for Angle, which he said was condescending to him.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Again, Liam-still, I've learned much about your character by the way you've responded. Thanks. More lies about me won't improve the impression I've gotten. You've already shown yourself for who you are. no additional data points are required. Again, my thanks to you for demonstrating the depth of your character.

Will this hurt Ms Angle's chances? Who can honestly say? None of us has a crystal ball. Everything is speculation.

My point remains, the lefties here are projecting something nefarious in the absence of actual facts. Much like Liam-still projecting statements and putting words in my mouth, the liberals here are making assumptions about what Ms Angle meant in the absence of actual facts.

What I find so amazing about all this is how two faced the Democrats are. ms Angle and others on the right are unfit to serve, according to the left. They point to verbal gaffes or the kinds of issues that ordinary Americans face as proof of this contention.

Then they elect the likes of Marion Barry, Alcee Hastings, Chollie Rangel and others whose lackluster ethics have been demonstrated beyond a doubt.

there is no reason to take Mr Sargent's "reasoning" seriously. He knows no more about what Angle meant that anyone else. But the left needs a bone to gnaw on and this is handy.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Skippy,

You are the creep who started out by engaging in mass character assassination against "the left". You said that they had no souls.

It is too late for a low life, character assassin, which you are, to now try and act as if you are the poor picked upon, innocent bystander. If you can not handle return fire, then you should not have engaged in character assassination in the first place.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

nd here is why Ashjian made the tape:

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 4:58 PM

....................

What grounds would she have for filing a legal action to have the guy removed from the ballot?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Ah, ha. I thought I smelled a grudge here."

Good call. Harry Reid is one lucky dude, befitting a NV senator.

Posted by: wbgonne | October 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Skip, who cares about your latest insane conspiracy blaming the entire world's problems on "Teh Lefties"?

You are ignorant of reality and, in fact, choose not to back up any of your statements with factual evidence... because there IS no factual evidence which backs up your absurd comments.

You are truly delusional. We're all out to get you. Run awayyy!!! Fool. Get help. Take your meds. Up your dose. I don't care. Do whatever it takes, but stop your incessant fact-free, delusional, fraudulent whining.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

keep digging Liam still. Now that putting words in my mouth didn't work you've apparently resorted to tactic 2: name calling.

the fact remains, you made statements about me that you cannot support. You attributed words to me that I never wrote.

I've pointed out how this displays your character. Rather than accept this, or even acknowledging the truth of what I'm saying about you, your nastiness just spirals down.

that is just sad. Why not just admit that you put words in my mouth and leave it at that? As I noted, that would be the adult response. Surely you'd like to seen as an adult?

I'm not acting poor and picked upon, quite the opposite. I'm simply examining your very own words and holding them up as examples of your character.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Skip, furchrissakes, can you at least capitalize the first word in each paragraph?

You not only SOUND like an amateur, your comments look like they were written by a 3rd grader.

Take your meds. Up your dose. Do whatever it takes. Just stop your flagrantly false fraudulent whining already. So boring and tired.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 4, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, you are a liar, and you did attack "the left", and completely ignored the fact that I was drawing attention to the Iraqi Kurds stabbing America in the back. You still have not said one word of condemnation against them. You have had plenty of chances to do so, but all you do is lie about Liberals, and remain silent about our so called ally, The Iraqi Kurds, helping Iran to get around sanctions.

Shame on you.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

more name calling from Ethan. Thanks, Ethan, for demonstrating your character as well.

A day without being called a fool by Ethan is like a day without being called a fool by Ethan.

Tell me Ethan, were you part of the group that wanted to ban some commenters here? If so, how does your comment to me comport with the behavior you demand of others?

it is pretty simple, really. Liam still put words in my mouth. Just as Mr Sargent attributed malice to Ms Angle without any factual evidence.

I never said any of the things Liam still claims. And his counter argument is just plain childish. Just like your name calling.

As I've said to you repeatedly, I am reminded of Spencer Ackerman: strong words from a weak man. Strong people don't need to write this kind of stuff Ethan. You do.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Shame on you.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the left had a soul?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 3:24 PM

...................

His own words, posted at 3.24PM

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

not even a nice try Liam-still. You keep digging yourself deeper.

the lesson from this is clear: righteous indignation will trump manners and maturity every time.

Thanks, again, Liam-still for the clear illustration of what you are. I've learned much about you, and Ethan too for that matter.

Once more, why not just apologize for lying about me? that would be the adult thing to do. Instead you get nastier and nastier.

I'll ask again, were you part of the group that sought to have commenters here banned? If so, how do your lies about me comport with the behavior you demand from others?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Kevin_Willis, that's the part of this story that I find the most interestng and amusing. I know there's an issue about the deal-making, but what Angle doesn't seem to realize is that even if she got elected she would hold no real power or influence among the likes of the GOP DC elite.

For years now, the GOP has been building their brand by taking fringe groups and making them THINK that they are a valuable part of the decision-making process. Case in point -- the right-wing evangelicals who helped get Bush into office. It's been well-documented that the Cheney wing of the GOP mocked them and belittled them behind closed doors, all the while they were courting them and using them in the 2000 and 2004 elections.

So Angle, O'Donnell, even Sarah Palin may think they are big names in the GOP and have loads of influence and power, but they don't have any real power in DC and they won't. They are being used, just like all the rest.

Juice? Naw, more like sap. ;)

Posted by: elscott | October 4, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Have you asked any Republicans who were so quick to judge the reports of a WhiteHouse/Clinton/Sestak 'offer' if they have any comment?

Posted by: MassachusettsLiberalinDC | October 4, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
A little research shows there have been several lawsuits, one having to do with insufficient signatures, another having to do with Ashjian running "for his own benefit". That's a good one.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | October 4, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Serious question here ... what is the difference between what she said and what Blago did? She's offering access to a Senator in return for dropping out of the race, which directly benefits her.

Not trying to shill for either side, but is it much different than saying "it's @$#% golden"?

Posted by: tgaylord1999 | October 4, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

'll ask again, were you part of the group that sought to have commenter here banned? If so, how do your lies about me comport with the behavior you demand from others?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 5:36 PM |

.....................

If you had payed attention, you would have learned, a long time ago, that I was almost the only progressive who kept objecting to banning Bilgey, and stated so, before many of the conservative posters did.

I also spoke out, the other day, against calls to ban people such as Brigade, Quarterback, and TrollMacWingNut. Now; how do you feel about JakeD2 posting that he came her to take down Plumline, like he claims he did to other blogs? Do you back his right to deliberately try to vandalize and destroy Plumline?

........................
remember when the left had a soul?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 4, 2010 3:24 PM

...................

His own words, posted at 3.24PM

Skippy, stop acting like a hate monger, and when people call you out on it, turning around and just start calling them liars.

You can not even admit the truth about what you wrote.
At least be man enough to stand by your original hate message.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Funny reading Righties' posts defending Angle's wheelin and dealin.
Not surprising though. "Family values" Righties in Louisiana are voting for a married "family values" Senator that wore diapers with hookers in a prostitution ring.
And Righties in South Carolina are voting for a Senator that believes gays and single women who sleep with boyfriends shouldn't be teaching public school. Hmm...he didn't say anything about single male teachers sleeping with girlfriends.
And Righties are voting for a Senator that believes China is taking over the U.S. {gasp!}

Posted by: angie12106 | October 4, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

>>>>UPDATE -Also: Since Angle is attending an NRSC fundraiser for her on Wednesday, you have to imagine that NRSC chair John Cornyn can't be too happy with this quote, either

Nah......Cornyn won't care. He's not interested in the character of Republican candidates. He'd just be glad to have another warm Republican body in the Senate where he'll show newbie Angle WHO has the juice.

Posted by: angie12106 | October 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Yep, and the recent "Values Summit" invited serial adulterer, and three times married, Newt, to be one of the featured speakers.

Some Values those hypocrites must have!

Posted by: Liam-still | October 4, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

tgaylord1999 wrote>>>Serious question here.....what is the difference between what she said and what Blago did? She's offering access to a Senator in return for dropping out of the race, which directly benefits her.

Good point!

Posted by: angie12106 | October 4, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

liam-still wrote>>>By the way, the Kurds would have been in far less danger, had Reagan not send the starter kits for the WMD to Saddam

Exactly! Reagan and Rummy.
The GOP props up dictators and when they become too big for their britches, the U.S. takes em out for the sake of "democracy."

Posted by: angie12106 | October 4, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Liar-still:

I did not come to destroy Plumline, but rather to save it! For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, so that whosoever shall believe in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 4, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Reid has a unacceptable immigration record as he has said--YES--to Federal funding for Sanctuary Cities, Comprehensive Immigration Reform; Dream Act (a De Facto Amnesty); another Guest Worker program; (previous Guest Worker programs resulted in Amnesty); allowing illegal aliens to participate in our struggling Social Security. Voted--NO-- on just English for government agencies All these very negative actions have cost US Taxpayers billions of dollars, which is taken from their paychecks. Reid voted--NO--to making E-Verify mandatory as a business requirement; or limiting welfare to illegal aliens that is another massive cost, estimated to be just the federal level of $113 billion dollars yearly. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) voted faithfully the same to Senator Reid. Then the majority speaker Democrat Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) says that arresting and detaining--ALL--illegal immigrants was Un-American, an administering to the same party line issues as all Liberal-Democrat members. His voting records and other Democrats is costing taxpayers billions, including the $ 60.Billion in remittance money leaving this nation, to other countries.

Posted by: infinity555 | October 4, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Sharon Angle needs some help from the Delaware witch. Don't people realize what the teapots are trying to do. They want smaller government, less taxes for the wealthy and less regulation. This means eliminating the Depts of Education, Banking, Insurance, Healthcare and Transportation. Results: Then you have will higher bus, plane and airline costs as fares become deregulated, higher healthcare costs with less service as republican controlled healthcare companies raise rates, banks charging whatever they want for credit card fees, Creationism being taught in schools because the right wing radicals do not believe in the theory of evolution, drug companies extending their patents so you can't get generics and raising their prices on current drugs, millions more jobs lost as what happened under Bush. Eliminate or reduce Social Security and Medicare In other words, the cracked teapots only plan is to not take back America, but to destroy it. You will have more people in lines for soup kitchens and possibly a revolution in the making. Don't forget their motto: "Guns for all college students in Texas" This will replace "Remember The Alamo".

Posted by: Hamm1 | October 4, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse