Sharron Angle: No insurance mandates

There's been a ton of attention paid to Sharron Angle's exhortation at last night's debate that Harry Reid "man up" on Social Security, and much commentary on the debate has focused on whether her answers were too canned or whether they revealed her to be far saner than her public image suggests

But once you get past the process commentary, what will really matter is whether there were any important moments that either side can seize on to frame the closing days of the race. And it's my bet is that it's something that Angle didn't say that could end up having a pretty big impact.

I'm talking about Angle's silence after being pressed on whether there is anything at all government should mandate insurances companies to cover. Here's the exchange in question:

You could not ask for a starker illustration of Angle's vision of the proper role of government in our lives. When pressed to name one thing insurance companies should be forced to cover, she cited the free market as the best way of guaranteeing that insuance companies will make available the coverage people need. Asked again, she volunteered nothing.

Many have noted already that the Angle-Reid race has posed voters with one of the starkest ideological choices you could possibly ask for in a political contest. Her answer on mandates makes this even clearer. Contrast Angle's vision with Reid's. Whatever his flaws, he was one of two or three people who were most instrumental in passing a far reaching and ambitious health reform law -- after half a century of false starts -- that is reshaping government control over our whole health care system by, among other things, forcing insurance companies to cover people with preexisting conditions.

Sure, we already knew that this was her position on mandates, and this exchange has been covered here and there in the debate write-ups. But this is a bigger deal than people think it is, and if the Reid people have their way, it will enable them to define Angle as unfit to govern in the final days of the race. The Reid people already rushed this mandates moment into a new ad, and they will almost certainly pound away at it as hard as they can in the closing stretch.

By Greg Sargent  | October 15, 2010; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections, Senate Dems, Senate Republicans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dems' next challenge: Linking secret election cash to economy
Next: Happy Hour Roundup

Comments

Greg,

Did you catch my suggestion about an Ignore Option, and the link I provided to a site that offers such feature?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead and pick one clip out of context. Luckily for the rest of America, most voters in Nevada think that Angle won the debate.

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 15, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

JUST TO BE FAIR AND BALANCED:

"Reid meanwhile looked tired. Sounded entitled. He mixed up the Department of Education with the Department of Energy. Couldn't find his notes for the close ..."

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Jake, I guess you missed the fact that I linked that commentary or similar at the top of my morning roundup?

Whoops.

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 15, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

No, I didn't miss anything. I'm just trying to keep EVERY thread of yours "fair and balanced" (at least until the Cillizza-style comments do that job for me ; )

Whoops.

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@Jake: "most voters in Nevada think that Angle won the debate"

Then you might want to link to a poll, instead of to Jon Ralston's column (which basically says Sharron won because she didn't look like Linda Blair in The Exorcist) and a blog post by a conservative newspaper publisher.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Luckily for sbj3's bank account, there are only 11 week days left until November 2nd ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

SBJ keeps sending her contributions, even though she is completely against him having Man Dates!

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

As much as a Mike Pence-like dim bulb as Angle is, it really won't hurt the disfunctional US Senate to have another troglodyte occupying space if she wins. Reid has been a weak Majority Leader. The Senate will remain in the D column, so either someone like Durbin or Schumer will probably be Majority Leader, and that will be an improvement. If that occurs the people of Nevada won't have viable representation in the US Senate, what with the disgraced Ensign on the way out, and Angle who will do nothing more than engender head shaking and laughter in the Senate cloak room.
She would only be a one termer before the people of Nevada dummy up.

Posted by: filmnoia | October 15, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Liam, thanks for that. I'll take it up with the higher ups

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 15, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

In Joke's defense, it's unlikely that his support for the insane Angle stems from any sort of old-man crush on her, as is the case with his slavering support for Palin and COD.

Angle looks like she should be pushing a shopping cart full of rags and cats down the street, babbling incoherently.

Posted by: Observer691 | October 15, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Greg:

Snazzy. I didn't watch the debate but I definitely see your point. These GOP candidates are on the Radical Right fringe of America. They are Free Market zealots and ideologues who hate government because it stands in industry's way. That McClune out in AZ is just the same. They are the Plutocracy's dream candidates. Literally merge business and government. Think of the efficiencies!

Posted by: wbgonne | October 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It will be much easier for Obama to run for reelection against a congressional GOP caucus that includes a few well-known nutbags like "Right" Angle.

Posted by: Observer691 | October 15, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

OT -

This just arrived in a memo from building management:

"This means no person shall smoke or carry any lighted smoking instrument within ten (10) feet of a public entrance, exit, windows that open, ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area or a service line that extends an entrance."

I'm not a smoker, but I have to admit I am curious what is meant by "any lighted smoking instrument." Could this be like when Jimi Hendrix burned his guitar at Monterey Pop?

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Or God's Instrument; Joan Of Arc?

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I believe that many people in the country believe that the individual mandate will be repealed or stuck down before it comes into effect.

First of all, it is HORRIBLE ECONOMIC POLICY -

These are EXACTLY the people who CAN NOT AFFORD health insurance.

Those people - who the mandate will affect - will have to SHIFT THEIR SPENDING away from other items - JUST TO SEND MONEY TO THE BIG INSURANCE COMPANIES (for a policy which they will use little)

So - if anyone actually THOUGHT ABOUT IT, THE MANDATE IS AN ECONOMY-KILLER - how much DEMAND will be lost on other things because all that money will have to go to the big insurance companies.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Might also be a weapon in World of Warcraft or one of those games the kids play.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Liam,

So you think burning people at the stake will have to occur off-premises? How inconvenient!

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Back on thread --

I understand the argument that insurance mandates drive up the cost of insurance.

But there is a simple solution. Government can simply mandate that insurance must cover anything bad that happens to me, bearclaw1, but not anything bad that happens to anyone else. Insurance will be affordable, and I will be completely covered.

Thank you for subsidizing me! I'm beginning to understand what it feels like to be an Alaskan!

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Liam, thanks for that. I'll take it up with the higher ups

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 15, 2010 3:48 PM

...................

Greg,

Your very welcome. Good luck.

Here is what bothers me about changing formats or banning people, to cater to those who complain the loudest. Some of them are rarely or ever heard from, after they get what they have demanded.

Recall when Bilgey was finally ousted. One person doing a lot of the complaining about him was named MsMolly. She returned on rare occasions after that, and I do not recall having seen any posts from her in a long time. Have you?

I hope that they can provide you with an Ignore option, because I think that changing to that Fix format, would turn out to be a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Jake

There is a common theme/mistake among the democrats on the mandate issue - and the tax bracket issue.

Many liberals view the economy as STATIC - which means that they look at one set of numbers and say to themselves "I wish we could switch this money to be over here"

And for some reason, they think that is possible.

The truth is that the economy is DYNAMIC - it is a system of incentives which cause money to go in different directions.

So, if one moves money from one area to the other, the incentives are shifted - and it CHANGES THE ECONOMY FOR THE NEXT YEAR.

So, what is important is the incentives - and the economy for the NEXT year.

And that is why GROWTH is so important -

It is far more important to GROW the economy and make a bigger pie - than to divide up the existing pie. Because dividing the existing pie MAY lead to less growth - and less to divide up in the future.

Growth has a way of feeding on itself - 3% over 10 years is 30% - which is far more than ANY re-distribution scheme could EVER hope to achieve.

And yet, the democrats are still talking about "income gap", closing the income gap or raising taxes in a way that will limit growth.

____________________

And one more note - a BUBBLE is not growth - it is like cheating - so pull OUT of your economic numbers the internet bubble, the mortgage bubble and the stock market bubbles - and that is a more REALISTIC picture of what the growth has been.

So - if you want to look at TAX RATES - pull OUT the bubbles from the numbers - and compare the tax rates to those REVISED growth rates.

If you care, go do that - Im not going to give anyone any numbers.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Liam,

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 4:01 PM

....................

And sure to contribute greatly to global warming; once the likes of Christine O'Donnell come to power.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

For those here, who, like Angle, think that the free market can and should solve everything, take a look at what John Bogle has to say here -

This guy founded The Vanguard Fund and is a died in the wool capitalist, but even he knows that we're spiraling down the drain economically because the financial side has usurped the production side. If the GOP have their way the spiraling will accelerate and out sourcing will even be worse.

Posted by: filmnoia | October 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

SaveTheRainforest:

One important battle was won though ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 15, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Our balance of trade deficit is widening again.

Sending most of our good paying manufacturing jobs to China and other foreign lands, and then having to purchase all the durable goods from them, that we used to make here in America, appears not to have done wonders for our "Fair Trade" side of the ledger. Who would have thunk it!

Stopping the making of stuff here, which means stopping the providing of good paying jobs here, so that those wages got spent here, and stopping making stuff to export, has not improved our balance of trade situation. What a surprise.

Vote the way The Chamber Of Con Artists are urging you to vote, if you are eager to see more of the same.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________

Thank you - that is EQUAL to an Obama tax increase this year of $550 BILLION DOLLARS

All that money sucked out of the economy - and GOING TO THE BIG INSURANCE COMPANIES

Does that make sense???

NOW all the big insurance companies are going to be giving money to the politicians in order to KEEP THAT MONEY FLOW GOING.

It is OBAMA CORPORATE WELFARE.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Jake - want a laugh -

Obama - just like any other American family, right?

Who says Obama is not "one of us"

______________________

DATELINE KENYA

President Barack Obama's polygamist half brother in Kenya has married a woman who is more than 30 years younger than him.

The 19-year-old's mother told The Associated Press on Friday she is furious that her daughter quit high school and married the 52-year-old.

Mary Aoko Ouma says her daughter tried to marry Malik Obama two years ago, but the mother says she wouldn't give permission.

Malik Obama, who is Muslim, has two other wives. Polygamy is legal in Kenya if it falls under religious or cultural traditions.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

filnoia, thanks for that.

So many Republicans are just bad capitalists. They think they can get wages so low that profits will increase forever. But when demand dries up, you just don't have an economy.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Insurance Mandates are JUST FINE, RIGHT ?

Dateline CONNECTICUT - TODAY 3:22 pm

Health insurance companies get permission to raise rates.

The new rates took effect Oct. 1, and include increases from 19 percent all the way to 47 percent depending on the individual, the Hartford Courant reported.

Sullivan responded to Blumenthal saying the new rates included "very rich benefits" mandated by federal law.

"There is not one person in the state of Connecticut who will see an increase in their current premiums based on what the department approved for Anthem and Aetna," Sullivan said in a release. "The rates that were filed and approved reflect the current cost to deliver care and the impact of more comprehensive benefit designs required under the federal healthcare reform law. If the attorney general wants to complain to someone, he should complain to Congress."

_______________________--

By the way Jake - you do realize what is coming.

If the democrats get their way, and the Federal government is allowed to invade health care as interstate commerce -

The next thing that will happen is the Courts will say that the STATES can not regulate health insurance - SO ALL the safeguards the states now have - to regulate and KEEP DOWN RATES, they are ALL OUT THE WINDOW.

Another unintended consequence to the stupidity of Obama.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Put it this way: If Reid's people have their way, this moment will ensure that even if Angle does win, Nevadans will know exactly what they voted for."

Good. I hope so.

I thought Reid was visually awful during the debate. His mannerisms and everything, but on matters substance he was far better than Angle. The differences could not be more plain.

When they started this race frankly I hoped Reid would lose. His leadership in the Senate has been abysmal. Yet after seeing Angle's positions (and her denial of them) I have been convinced Reid is the lesser of the two evils.

And SRF, caps don't make you right. Just makes you look like you're desperate for attention. Well rock on with your bad self. I hope you get a job someday.

Does SRF have a job?

Posted by: Alex3 | October 15, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Sargent, I have been a "regular" at CC's blog for almost five years, and the new format has allowed for focused dialogues and conversations, as FairlingtonBlade stated.

I have been a mere "lurker" here. I would have been quick to recommend the "reply" format that CC uses until I read that would exclude Kevin_Willis. His voice is refreshing and it would be a shame to lose it[IMO].

Please do not opt for the intrusive moderation of the NYT blogs. No conversation is possible there because of the time delays.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 15, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

BGinCHI at 4:34 PM

the Republicans will say that Obama's policies on health care are drying up demand.

The mandates are drying up demand.

The talk about the tax brackets is drying up demand - even before the new rates take effect. There is so much UNCERTAINTY about Obama, no one wants to spend any money.

It is Obama.

The BEST THING for the economy would be if Obama would resign - the stock market would go up 1,000 points and DEMAND WOULD SOAR. That is what to do.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mark. I didn't see FB's post on that, but I second the suggestion that moderation not ruin the blog (I don't think Greg would let that happen), and I would NOT want to exclude Kevin Willis.

He needs a spanking now and then, but not a ban.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

BG,

No one talked about banning Kevin. He said that he would not participate, if the format was changed to how The Fix blog now operates. I also will not participate, if that is the format we end up with.

Of course I am astounded that I have not been banned yet. I have send many many emails to the Post, complaining about my own outrageous conduct, and demanding that they ban me. I should not have to put up with reading all that outrageous stuff that I write on Plumline.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I find these people who talk about the blog like it is the second coming are complete jokesters.

Their posts do not have near the quality they claim.

In addition, in terms of hostility and bringing down the discussion, they are often among the biggest offenders.

It really is unbelievable.

When this election is over, I think I'm going to switch sides. I prefer the underdog - and Obama is sure to lose in 2012 - so I suppose I will be supporting Obama next.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Liam,

We can add our voices to the chorus.

Greg -- it is true! Liam has been a very, very naughty boy.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Liam, thanks. I don't think Greg will do that. He's too smart to mess with the comments in such a way that would send everyone packing.

I'd also like to get banned, but I only ever get thrown out of bars.

I really need to get my priorities straight.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I did catch that last one, SRF. I'm sure Obama will get right on that "resigning" thing for you. Crazy, man. What's for dinner in your house tonight? The usual, pencil shavings over a pile of hair?

Posted by: cao091402 | October 15, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Liam: "No one talked about banning Kevin. He said that he would not participate, if the format was changed to how The Fix blog now operates."

Actually, I said I _can't_. Something about how it's implemented isn't like either by our proxy filter or the IPS (Intrusion Protection System)--I think it might have something to do with a lot of calls to javascript libraries hosted in other domains. Whatever the case, it just won't work for me. It will literally be impossible (not inconvenient) to read or comments, so I'll have to bid adieu!

But I completely understand wanting to try something else as a format, and I can't hold up progress. But the other thing that bugs me is that the Fix comments link doesn't list the # of comments. If this is all wapo labs, they oughta be able to hook it up so it lists the # of comments currently on a story). But I digress . . . I don't care for the Fix comments per se, when I can see them, it's just that most of the time--for example, right now, waiting for a large batch of files to process--that I could participate, I won't be able to, if it's the same implementation as The Fix.

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 15, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Bginchi

I like to get thrown out of bars too

Biker bars are the most fun.

What are your favorite bars in Chicago - and which one's have you been thrown out of ???

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Cao

Would you please go back to not reading

YOU promised. Please keep your promises.

NOT like Obama.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

STR, if I told you that I'd have to kill you.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

OH MY --- PLease Greg

Protect us from the Conservatives

We need the protections from the Conservatives - OR OUR MINDS WILL JUST EXPLODE IF WE READ THEIR COMMENTS.

Those comments are just so HORRIBLE TO READ

Man, you would think someone was forcing them to walk on WHITE HOT BURNING COALS.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Bginchi

I just wanted to know which bars you got thrown out of.

Because I seriously do not believe you.

Did you fight with the bouncers too - or did you just go quietly?

Yea - please tell - tell us

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Bginchi

This topic is really bringing up a good story, but I can not share it on the blog -

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

STR, here's my answer, in the form of a Sassy Gay Friend lecture:

Remember, it's an analogy; you are Ophelia and I'm sassy.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, it is possible to know the number of comments at CC's blog without actually counting them. If you were not behind an impenetrable firewall :-), below the "Weigh In" box you would read "XX Items", where "XX" is a variable number indicating the comment total at that moment.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 15, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

BginCHI

I am still curious to know which bars in Chicago you have been thrown out of .

Im waiting to hear about it.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Greg

I personally think your blog is doing fine without changing the comment format. It's easy to scroll past STRF because of his own formatting style, don't ever change please.

I think you've picked up a lot of new and interesting commenters. I'm not here as often more because of time constraints and I just don't have the time to read all of it anymore. Plus I'm more of an issue/policy gal so the little details of different races don't interest me all that much.

Sometimes when I read the comments they seem to have devolved into mostly jokes and name calling but I think people enjoy it so who cares. Other times more serious discussions ensue. It's a little like a dinner party, you never know how it will evolve and you just sort of hope that it's at least 90% successful.

Posted by: lmsinca | October 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca

Im sure you include me in the 10% - the top 10%.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

lms, good to see you around. Hope all is well with your family. Your girl back from France? How'd it go?

And, what are you hearing around your neck of the woods about turnout/gotv, and the general mood of the coming election?

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

STRF, actually you've been sent to the kids table. :)

Posted by: lmsinca | October 15, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca

You go to dinner somewhere, and you never know how it will turn out.

Going to a bar and getting thrown out with BginCHI sounds much better actually.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

STRF, if I told you that I'd have to kill you.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:06 PM |

....................

Please tell him.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

BG

Hi, yeah she's back and had a great trip other than traipsing through knee high mud for miles about four days in a row. She really enjoyed it though. She's off to UT for field work this weekend and already got two internship offers for next summer, so all's going well.

GOTV is going great out here and some of the down ticket props will get the Dems out so we should be good. Boxer especially will be fine I think, her outsourcing ads re Fiorina really paid off. My local guy, who I'm working hard for took a big jump in the polls this month so we're hopeful.

Did you notice our actblue page, we're at almost $800 and I haven't put in today yet.

Posted by: lmsinca | October 15, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I don't see a need to change formats. I've been on blogs with a threaded format (Weigel when he was at The Washington Independent). While the "threaded" approach is useful in some respects to be able to follow a single discussion, it also seemed to foster even more "cut and paste" commenting -- people who wanted to inject the same point into every separate discussion. And it was a pain to scroll through multiple pages if I was late arriving to a discussion.

I also don't support banning people for the crime of being annoying. It seems to me what that accomplishes is to encourage lots of posts along the lines of "he's being mean to me" and "no, no, please don't ban me." If there is anything worse than someone like STRF, it is STRF whining about being a victim. Unless you want to spend your time as a blog cop, instead of writing, just let people develop thicker skins, scroll past the bad stuff, or go elsewhere if this doesn't meet there needs.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 15, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

lms, glad to hear it. She's getting some amazing experience.

Carly and Meg losing is going to put a smile on my face. But can't believe Feingold is looking grim. That's really a nasty surprise.

Good work on the Act Blue page. I think on Monday we need to put the call out again.

It's go time.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw

We don't just need what you propose. We need a MASSIVE FEDERAL AGENCY.

We need a Massive Federal Agency to PROTECT EVERYONE FROM THE CONSERVATIVES.

Seriously, why should anyone have to listen or even be within eye-shot of a CONSERVATIVE IDEA ???

The LIBERAL PROTECTION AGENCY (LPA) would fan out accross the nation - banning and "taking out" any conservative idea that ANYONE found to be slightly conservative.

We need to help Obama put forth his far-left agenda - and what better way than to ban all ideas to the contrary? The LPA is what the nation NEEDS NOW.

HOW much will it cost? We don't know, and we will never know. However our great leader Obama has assured us that it is "paid for."

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

It's go time.

Posted by: BGinCHI | October 15, 2010 5:45 PM |

......................

Milwaukee media reported yesterday, that in the past four weeks, there have been over 18,000 thousand TV attack ads, from outsiders, run in Wisconsin against Feingold.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 15, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Liam

And there will be 18,000 more in the next few weeks.

Did you count all the democratic attack ads in the past few election cycles ?

Obama's $700 Million paid for more attack ads than anyone other person in history.

It is a disgrace.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Liam

It is impossible to talk about the excessive money in politics when Obama's $700 million in the last election is by far the worse offender.

The democrats had all summer in 2008 to complain that Obama's own actions were running counter to CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM.

Clearly, the democrats were SILENT - they preferred to seek a temporary advantage instead of ACTING TO HAVE LONG-TERM GOOD GOVERNMENT.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 15, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

All, Happy Hour Roundup posted:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 15, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

lmsinca, I visited the Act Blue organizers page today too and kicked in for a few other Dems. Joe Sestak, Alan Grayson, John Hall (NY area congressman who may be in a tough race), Scott McAdams... There was a poll out of Alaska showing it a real 3-way race, so any help for McAdams now is pretty huge.

Glad to hear things are good in your neck of the woods! This is just a hit and run post so have a great weekend all. :)

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 15, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

One solace is that the GOP and these organizations are not capable of raising money from voters. They are basically falling into the trap that self-funded billionaires fall into, thinking that as long as they have money, they can win anything. But they can't get voters to give them donations. That's why Obama was so successful. He was about to get hundreds of millions from small donors. The Democrats are also able to raise money in this way. This correlates with actual votes.
Look, the dirty money will make a difference. If you saturate the media with attack ads against Democratic candidates, it will move the needle and even tip races. Fortunately, this effect is a good bit overstated.

Another thing, Dems seem to be winning the ground game again.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 15, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I saw your post this morning and thanks again Ethan. Working on a GOTV phone bank this weekend, always fun. Have a good one.

Posted by: lmsinca | October 15, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

This can be a serious threat in races, which are within a hairs breath of each candidate winning. With just 20 days left until the Nov. 2 midterm election, party tensions in Houston Texas are running high over allegations of enormous voter fraud. Amid the conclusion were that only 1,793 of the 25,000 registrations the group submitted appeared to be valid. Elicit registrations included one of a woman who registered six times in the same day; registrations of illegal aliens; so many applications from one of the Houston Voters collectors in one day, that it was deemed to be beyond human ability; and 1,597 registrations that named the same individual multiple times, often with different signatures. Now the Liberal nonprofit Houston Votes 2010, along with Tex Together Fund, are being investigated by the state’s attorney general’s agency over allegations of fraud, conspiracy and ties to the New Black Panthers.

If it wasn't for the Tea Party's vigilance this type of voter fraud would have remained likely undisclosed, especially now the Liberal-Democrats party is under the axe. We must be particularly heedful of illegal aliens voting--either deliberately or because both parties have not illustrated federal regulations strong enough, warning of the consequences. Illegal aliens have already broken laws on illegal passage into the US, so affecting the course of any general election has no significant risk with imprisonment or a hurtful fine; just deportation. The third issue is to enforce laws we already passed in 1986 by Congress. If enforced the regulations would have curtailed employers hiring. Build the--REAL--double fence at the border and stopped Sen. Reid and Senate Democrats from nearly tabling E-Verify, limiting the effect of the labor verification program to a voluntary system. Research on any Computer Search Engine Browser and seek your own truths and not the lies fabricated by the Liberal media or the colluding politicians.

Posted by: infinity555 | October 16, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

These are the most critical point to bear in mind, when arriving at the polling stations to vote. The most treacherous person to re-elect is Senator Harry Reid of Nevada. Part of his main formula in issues, is the passage of Amnesty for all illegal immigrants squatting in this country. This must be sterilized as the cost to compel through a path to citizenship should terrify every prudent American. The most nonpartisan organization known as the Heritage Foundation, has calculated the dollar numbers and projected that that to create this new law will cost US taxpayers--$ 2.6 TRILLION DOLLARS. This is just at the federal level and doesn't take into account State and local government expenditures. America already owes foreign governments 11 to 13 Trillion dollars and an additional 2.6 Trillion dollars is an incomprehensible financial nightmare.

GOOGLE--Harry Reid; Amnesty; Path to Citizenship; always add illegal alien costs. Investigating these keywords will offer hundreds of articles and reports of taxes you’re paying to support this pestilence. The welfare entitlement programs from federal, state and local government are being compromised by foreign nationals, who are pilfering your money through over-taxation; blue and white collar jobs; the lowering of wages. The second most disgraceful issue is that of voter fraud resurfacing around the country. In most states there are no compulsory regulations to identifying the voter and so the federal system can be effortlessly compromised. The "Honor System" died back in the early 1990, and trust went out the window. Just GOOGLE--Voter fraud and highlight registration groups such being (ACORN) Association of Community Organization for Reform Now with workers complicit in changing the direction of the vote as in previous elections.

Posted by: infinity555 | October 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse