Will tomorrow's One Nation rally show enthusiasm gap closing? Will media care?

So how many people will turn out at tomorrow's big lefty rally on the national Mall? It's an important question, because the rally is turning into a key test of whether Dems can close the much-ballyhooed enthusiasm gap.

The Service Employees International Union is expecting some 75,000 of its members to turn out tomorrow, SEIU spokesman Teddy Davis tells me, an estimate based on the number of pledges to attend and the number of buses they've chartered. Members are coming from 22 different states.

Meanwile, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka is vowing that labor will turn out a total of at least 100,000 at the rally, which is being dubbed "One Nation Working Together." There are multiple other groups involved in the rally, and they could add tens of thousands more people, though organizers expect labor unions to be the main turnout engine tomorrow.

It's unclear whether these numbers will prove accurate. But if turnout is healthy, it's going to be very interesting to watch how this rally is received. The dominant narrative about this fall's elections, of course, is that Dems are in for a shellacking because they are not going to be able to recapture the enthusiasm and turnout of 2008 and because the left has failed to match the oppositional energy of the Tea Party.

A successful turnout tomorrow -- if it happens -- could go some way towards reversing that narrative. It'll also be interesting to see whether a decent sized liberal rally can garner anywhere near the national media coverage that's routinely lavished on Tea Partyers. Granted, it's hard to compete as spectacle with those lurid signs and outsized three-corner hats, but given how ubiquitous and heavily promoted the "enthusiasm gap" narrative has been, you'd think a healthy turnout tomorrow would be considered somewhat newsworthy.

UPDATE, 1:20 p.m.: To clarify, the AFL-CIO's 100,000 estimate refers to their federation and doesn't include the SEIU's promised 75,000 member turnout. So that puts the estimated turnout of union members at 175,000 or more.

By Greg Sargent  | October 1, 2010; 12:37 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections, Political media, Tea Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Rouse era won't be better than the Rahm era
Next: What Rick Sanchez said about CNN and Jews

Comments

Hard to say since the media is not pimping this rally the way all the Tea Party ones were pushed. No wall to wall endorsements from Fox News and then coverage of the Fox coverage by anyone else. And I think the people coming to this are not the enthusiasm gap people.

Honestly the Stewart/Colbert rally is the one to watch. These people are the 2008 voters that are written off as not voting in mid-terms. The 20 and 30 somethings, minorities, non political junkies. The deomgraphic that watches Stewart and Colbert. When 100,000 people show up for an event pushed to younger people by two comedians I think it will tell you something about young voters and the value of these types of rallies for figuring out anyhting about voting.

Posted by: zattarra | October 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

They can have twice the numbers of the Beck rally and it will only get 1/10th of the news coverage.

In the news media ecosystem journalists and editors get ahead by pleasing the boss, who is more often a media tycoon or corporate executive of the deeply political conservative variety.

That's the real media bias!

Posted by: ANDYO1 | October 1, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Question for commenters: Is anyone really bailing because of the trolls?

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 1, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

what trolls?

It seems to me that the new definition of troll is "anyone winning an argument with a liberal". That's also the modern definition of: racist, islamophobe, homophobe, etc, etc.

it is easy enough to ignore comments on these threads, but it takes some self control. Instead, some folks here seek to stifle opposing voices. Given that this is the reputation of liberals these days the effort at banning seems to me to be par for the course.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 1, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm not exactly a regular commenter here although I do post relatively often and I read the blog every day but, Greg, I know you read the comments and many have posted in the past couple of threads that they are leaving because of the trolls, STRF in particular.

For me, STRF is the only commenter that seems to be acting entirely in bad faith. Others, while glib and wrong-headed, at least occasionally engage in real discussion. While I scroll through the comments of every discussion, I routinely and religiously ignore everything and anything STRF posts and still I am frustrated by its ability to hijack every thread and I am less interested in any of the discussions as a result of that frustration.

As is obvious from the lack of comments today, many of the regulars remain true to their word.

Posted by: pragmaticstill | October 1, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Will tomorrow's One Nation rally show enthusiasm gap closing? Will media care?"

There's a rally tomorrow?

Posted by: sbj3 | October 1, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I lurk for the most part, but must say the trolls are getting tiresome. There are both progressive and conservative posters who are willing to debate pros and cons intelligently, passionately, and without acrimony, but you have to wade through a swamp of slime to find their posts. I don't like banning posters on the gut level, but it would be nice to see the poster's name first so you can just scroll past the nasties.

Blessed Be!

Posted by: wiccan | October 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Per my comment on the prior thread: To the extent this rally is merely a Dem GOTV effort I'm not interested. If this signifies an awakening of the Left and helps Liberals take control of the Dem Party it may matter.

Posted by: wbgonne | October 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I used to read and post fairly frequently, but ever since STRF and Troll McWingnut and skipsailing and a few others, I just read frontpage posts and very rarely read the comments section.

It happened to Politico pretty quickly (if you want to see some incredibly hostile rightwing confrontational fact free insanity, read the comments section in Ben Smith's blog sometime).

IMHO, the best sites are the ones with a very low tolerance for invective, insults and fact free trolling (see SSP and Washington Monthly and Balloon Juice for example).

But yes, I am frequenting this place much less, and enjoying it much less than I did a few months ago.

And I say this as someone who has enjoyed your (Sergeant's) writing, insight and analysis ever since you were over at Marshall's place.

Posted by: AjaxtheGreater | October 1, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I'm an infrequent commenter -- I don't have much problem scrolling past comments by STRF, which tend to be repetitive "howling at the moon." But I can understand why frequent commenters would grow weary of dealing with STRF, who sometimes seems to take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the total length of a thread with little concern for being on topic. And JakeD has stated that it is his goal to destroy this blog. Nice guy.

As for the rally tomorrow, my experience is that for the most part rallies reflect enthusiasm, they usually don't create it. And honestly, the fact that two unions are talking about "delivering" a large number of attendees will tend to cause the rally to be discounted. For many people, that appears like "required attendance." Even with lots of press coverage (which is unlikely), a rally in Washington largely attended by union members is unlikely to motivate those who came out in unusually high numbers in 2008 to come out and vote in a mid-term election.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 1, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@Greg: "Question for commenters: Is anyone really bailing because of the trolls?"

rukidding has said he's stepping back, as has lmsinca and suekazoo also mentioned it as a factor. Not as the only factor, however.

@skip: "it is easy enough to ignore comments on these threads, but it takes some self control. Instead, some folks here seek to stifle opposing voices."

SaveTheRainForest is not an "opposing voice", he's a threadbomber. Or has been. My complaints re: STRF have nothing to do with his "opposing voice", but the weird accusations and assertions, the melodramatic victimhood when he gets the natural reaction his outrageous behavior oughta produce . . . he's a poseur. Plus the spam. He's 3° removed from trying to sell us name brand handbags and discount prices. Cut and paste of the same comment 3 or 4 times across multiple threads, combined with everything else, it's just nutty. Non-sequiturs. It's an act.

I'd be perfectly happy if certain posters could be blocked by the individual. If I could, I would.

That being said, I'm not going to stop hanging out here because of any given troll. ;)

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | October 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

FOX and WSJ have transparently bought their way into the GOP, giving them in effect part ownership of the US government (paranoia much me?). This is the very definition of facism.

WaPo, NPR, etc., are nearly as bad, trumpeting every made-up ginned-up issue as having equal weight with stuff from the reality-based world we really live in, with some perverted interest in fairness and balance.

The Tea Party is actually no bigger than those who believe that the earth is flat or that we didn't send astronauts to the moon, yet the media worships them as avatars of a new political movement. That's what is scary, and again, WaPo is just as guilty as any other outlet.

Posted by: seriousfun | October 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Greg

I think this blog was going pretty well until 12BarBlues showed up one day and started to stir up trouble.

Almost everyday, she is coming on this blog looking to start a fight.

In addition, she is constantly making negative postings - and encouraging other people to start fights on this blog.

12Bar has also started to recruit her friends to come over to this blog and start the hostile behavior as well.

As a result of this constant "egging on" the hostility has ramped up on this blog.

WHO are the adults here - doing the mature thing and attempting to get people to get along? They are looking to start fights.

I have for the most part - ignored these and responded without the name-calling and hostility.

But there 12Bar is again - telling everyone to ignore other posters - scroll through - encouraging others to fight.

This is the creation of the hostile atmosphere.

Greg - those making the hostile remarks - and not containing themselves are the ones who should be banned - if anyone.

Once all this starts - it is difficult to say where the civil discussion starts and where it ends - I admit.

However, the truth is - the blogs are not for people who ALL AGREE - and the presence of opposing views seems to be the real point which they are upset with.

A bunch of people - saying oh Im leaving - they never leave.

Several of them tried that before, and none of them left - they came back.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm still here but find the attempts at stifling intellectual dialog to be deplorable.

STRF, JakeD2, Skipsailing, TrollMcWingnut should be banned for not making any attempt at honest dialog. I'm so over it. And I honestly don't care about the perception of calling for bannings. It's a private website. It needs to be moderated, period.

As for the event, 175,000+ would be amazing. I wish I could go, but I'll be there in spirit for sure. I hope the turnout is so huge that the MSM can't ignore it.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, forgot about JakeD. He has been trolling WaPo comments sections ever since I have been reading them (better part of 4 years at this point).

He has stated that he has no desire to do anything other than insult liberals and basically acknowledges that he knows nothing except how to spread stupidity and anger (ie typical teabagger).

Posted by: AjaxtheGreater | October 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Question for commenters: Is anyone really bailing because of the trolls?

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 1, 2010 1:09 PM |

.............

Two points I wish to make.

This thread does not mention who will be the featured speakers at the rally. Without big names, the rally is not going to have any drawing power.

On your question about the negative effectives being caused by a couple of people who have stated that their mission is to vandalize and destroy this site:

You do not have to tell anyone what happened, if they suddenly stopped posting on here.

I have been thinking about this free speech rights argument, and as you know, I fought for a long time, to not have Bilgey banned, until he started daring you to do so. Then he lost me.

As for the calls for banning people with strong conservative views, such as QB, Brigade, and especially TrollMcWingNut; I say hell no. They are very worthwhile contributers to the conversations, debates, and political fracases.

Here is a suggestion, that you might want to consider.

Treat your blog like it is an online town-hall forum. People have a right to state their views, and engage in vigorous rebuttals, but they are not allowed to shout every one else down, and totally disrupt the proceedings.

People who show up at town hall meetings, expressly for to do just that, get shown the door, and are not allowed back in.

You know who the two people are, who keep coming into your Plumline Town Hall meetings, just to vandalize, disrupt, and eventually put you out of business. They have said that is what their intentions are.

So, Greg,

My advise is; "Taser them Bro", and keep it to yourself.

I am off to do so voter turn out work.

Be sure to vote in all your State Governors races. It is very important to keep in mind that Governors will have a big say in where the new district lines will be drawn, based on the 2010 census results.

Better to have Democratic Governors calling those shots, that Republicans doing so. The revised district boundaries will determine how many safe seats one party or the other will end up with, for the next decade, so work hard to elect Democratic governors.

Have a great afternoon all.

Posted by: Liam-still | October 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Greg

The ration of liberals to conservatives here is about 7 to 1.

At one point yesterday, there were 8 straight postings by liberals.

Just that situation, will invite one side to respond more - just to keep up with the points.

There NO IMBALANCE HERE - the conservatives are NOT dominating the conversation -

The problem appears to be that the ratio is closer to 50 - 50 than before - however conservatives do not have more posts than the liberals.

The HOSTILITY is coming from the liberal side -

The hostility is what is against the terms of service - it is DESIGNED to discourage people from posting. That is clearly against the rules.

The Washington Post rules prohibit comments which are:

"predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass "

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THESE POSTERS HAVE BEEN DOING.

Just saying "I'm scrolling through" - is pretty obnoxious -

Posting a comment like that is telling other people IGNORE THAT PERSON - that is not civil discussion - it is hostile - and it is aimed at third parties.

And it is harassing.

I tell you - 12Bar came on here - and she has been stirring up much of this discontent. She has been bringing people over here to stir up trouble as well.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Ethan

Making a list of conservatives and saying they should all be blocked is childish.

And if you are attempting to describe any of your comments as "intellectual dialog" you are fooling youself.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Greg, I did...six weeks ago. It was the #1 reason I left.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | October 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

OT:

A Tennessee man has been charged with threatening to burn down the home of an Ohio congressman during the health care debate.

Prosecutors in Ohio say 40-year-old James Schmidlin, of Cleveland, Tenn., was charged with making an arson threat by phone against Democratic U.S. Rep. John Boccieri (boh-CHEHR'-ee) of the Canton area. The federal indictment was unsealed Friday in Cleveland, Ohio.

The charges say the threatening call was made around March 4 amid the congressional debate on health care.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | October 1, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Greg

Liam You have been pretty disruptive - especially the other night.

It is funny how the people who get hostile on this blog are the ones who want to start banning.

Yes - the new definition of a troll is one who engages in a discussion and wins the point.

Greg - It is not right to have a few posters taking constant shots at other people on the blog - a

THE TRUTH is that when these posters FAILED to get their way with hostility - they started to try to get a LYNCH MOB together and start getting calls for banning.

How about ACTUAL CIVIL DISCUSSION? How about addressing the actual points made ?

Again, the conservatives are NOT dominating this blog -

If anyone is "thread-bombing" it can not be the side which has fewer posts.

Ethan is not a troll?

The bottom line is - once a liberal engages in a certain behavior, and no one voices objections - then others feel that the same is OK for all.

_______________________________

Take a look at some of these requests for banning-

they want 4 or 5 people banned - what they really want is a POINT OF VIEW BANNED.

These people only want one side's views expressed.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Our neighbor is flying out this evening to attend from Texas. She's just an ordinary Mom of 2, not a Union Member and not even political. She and a couple of other church ladies want to show their solidarity with the Middle Class Mom and Dad's that need jobs. Wish I could be there, but I'll be watching on C-Span. I doubt if any of the main stream media types will give a flip about it since Beck, Palin & Fox aren't sponsoring it.

Posted by: clintt5 | October 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I bailed over the summer due to trolls, lurked for a month, commented a few times yesterday and today (thanks for the feedback, Kevin!), but I think I'll be heading out again as well. It's not your writing, it's the overabundance of childishness.

Posted by: Michigoose | October 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Greg - yes, apparently they are.

Posted by: nisleib | October 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Greg

We have here a situation in which posters have declared - "I am not going to talk to you" -

And they have encouraged others to do the same.

AND WHAT IS THE MAIN COMPLAINT?

- Lack of civil discussion.

Well, who is refusing to engage in civil discussion ?

It is pretty clear - there is a hostiliy which is based on CONTENT - not anything else.

12Bar has stirred up this little round.

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading the comment section a lot less frequentl than I used to becasue of the trolls. Not every right wing opinion is a troll, some provide good back an forth, but certain posters have just made reading and slogging through and participating in the comments section not worth it. When a couple of posters spam/hijack every thread it's just not worth it most the time. Now I'm mostly a front page reader and an infrequent at best poster.

Posted by: zattarra | October 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I clearly remember Ms Pelosi trying to convince America that the Tea Party was astro turf.

yeah, now we hear that the SEIU will, at the expense of their dues paying members, bus in some "attendees".

That's certainly closer to astro turf than the self funded assemblies we're seeing on other side of the political spectrum.

further, what other unions will pay for "attendees"?

did anyone see the video of the illegal immigrants in CA offering to carry signs, for a price, for Govenor Moonbeam? Classy, no?

Posted by: skipsailing28 | October 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I've been toying with the idea of flying to DC at the end of the month for the Stewart-Colbert rallies. I wonder how big a draw those'll get.

Anyone else thinking of going?

Posted by: jzap | October 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

clintt5,

How did "a couple of church ladies from Texas" hear about the rally?

Unfortunately, I think the rally will be characterized as "unions turn out for the Democrats" and will be placed in the "dog bites man" round file. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | October 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

All, here's my take on Rich Sanchez and Jews:

can you come over to the other thread? want to tell you about what we're doing about the trolls

Posted by: Greg Sargent | October 1, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg, You probably won't print this, but just so you know the facts, assuming you don't already know:

The NAACP, Unions, etc., are providing free buses and free lunch for their people to go to the rally.

Conversely, the Glenn Beck rally was attended by Tea Party members who paid for their own bus/plane fares, food and lodging.

The Tea Party buses in my area cost roundtrip (one day) w/lunch over $130 per person. And they had to order extra buses.

The Union Rally tomorrow is commonly known as Astroturf.

The Tea Party rallies are purely grassroots.

Quite a difference!

Posted by: janet8 | October 1, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

jzap:

Free buses are being provided by HuffPo from SoHo (I still doubt they will get the same turnout that Glenn Beck did).

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 1, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I plan on staying here until the Good Lord takes me home, unless Mr. Sargent asks me to leave. For the record, however, I've never stated that it's my goal to destroy this blog, but rather I take the "Devil's Advocate" position to test the libs arguments -- I am not the one who fired Weigel or instituted a new comment system at The Fix -- I was just puffing about that before. In fact, I just had an enjoyable (and refreshingly honest) dialog with "scat" about the teachings of the Catholic Church yesterday.

I'm out the rest of today, anyway, so play nice everyone.

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Greg

I see one reference to "bad faith" - well I see few of these characters trying to "get along" with anyone.

I see a great deal of nasty comments - statments that posters will ignore someone - which when that is posted is NOT ignoring someone - it is encouraging others to adopt the same tactic.

WHAT these people are really trying to do is SHUT DOWN a point of view.

They are not complaining that ONE liberal is posting too much, is a troll or anything else - if the comment is liberal in nature, EVERYTHING GOES.

It is only the conservative comments that are singled out for infractions.

THE POINT IS THIS: who is creating the negative atmosphere ? Is it the ones who are getting nasty, encouraging ignoring - and looking to ban others?

THE MATURE THING TO DO would be to try to get people to calm down, to get along -

But do the liberals do that? NO - it is nastiness all through -

The liberals are convinced that they, and only they are right - ONE comment which diminishes that world view is INSTANTLY DELIVERED BY A TROLL.

What exactly does a troll look like? I usually imagine a Keebler Elf - with the cookie machines further down the trunk of the tree. The computers are up in the tree - with the trolls typing at mini-keyboards.

Is that it?

Posted by: SaveTheRainforest | October 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The One Nation rally tomorrow is supported by over 400 different groups from the NAACP, environmental groups, peace activists, church groups, and unions just to name a few. Granted, the unions will have a big presence, but there will be many other groups represented there as well.

BTW, many of the people attending the Beck rally traveled on buses provided by groups such as FreedomWorks.....in other words, free transportation.

Posted by: bpotter110 | October 1, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@Greg

Two things:

1) Can you track down the number of people that turned out at the Tea Party rallies that have taken place in DC this year? There was at least two that I remember, a true "Tea Party" one and the one put on by Glenn Beck. If we have those numbers, it would make a direct comparison much easier.

2) Yes, I comment less because of the trolls. It ruins the community aspect of the blog - the selling point for "blogs" in the first place. It's tougher to have any sort of debate, because while it's usually better to ignore them, there's a line at which you have to push back against blatently false things - the lie half way around the world before the truth gets it's pants on effect.

The commenting community on this blog isn't NEARLY large enough to constitute some major burden to police. Obviously if you just start banning people left and right for no reason, you'll lose readers...but that doesn't mean people should be allowed to dominate the board with vitriol and lies. Give a warning. Maybe two. Then ban, and stop letting them waste all our time.

Posted by: TheBBQChickenMadness | October 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I read this in the U.K.’s Telegraph and thought I would pass it along. It is a pretty strong commentary: Who would have predicted this a year ago? Certainly not the complacent army of White House spin doctors who have failed to grasp, let alone acknowledge, the momentous political transformation that is sweeping America. CNN’s latest poll confirms that the Tea Party movement has more political clout than the President of the United States in influencing voters during this November’s mid-terms. While just 37 percent of Americans are more likely to vote for a candidate if backed by Barack Obama, a far larger 50 percent will vote for a Tea-Party endorsed candidate.
Posted by Yael

Posted by: corebanks1940 | October 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Greg - to echo nisleib, "yes, apparently they are."
I'm a very infrequent commenter, but an avid reader. The comments often become a real slog (although I have no trouble quickly identifying the annoying ones (especially when they're double-spaced!)and scrolling past them. But as pragmaticstill said, referring to STRF, "I am frustrated by its ability to hijack every thread and I am less interested in any of the discussions as a result of that frustration." Because of that, I don't learn nearly as much, which is even more frustrating. (If STRF switched to single spacing and changed his moniker to SaveTheWhiteSpace, he might fool us for a little while longer :)

Not sure about banning. It seems extreme. I'll really miss the regulars who are backing off, but I can understand it. I'll continue to read your blog.

Posted by: carolanne528 | October 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

bwpotter110,

The buses provided by Freedom Works were not free.

People had to pay their own fares, food, lodging, etc.

Freedom Works has members all over the US, so the FW website is where members who wanted to go to Beck's rally could link up with buses in their home towns. That's it.

I suggest you go to their site and check out how it works.

If it was free I might have gone to check it out.

Posted by: janet8 | October 1, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

when all dems got is "closing the enthusiasim gap" instead of the old fashion "convincing swing voters", you know the era of obama is over because a slim democratic majority and maybe even a republcan one is on the way.

Posted by: dummypants | October 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the FBI is going to have a field day. The sponsors of this event reads like the FBI Watch List of treasonous terrorists:

- Chicago Democratic Socialists of America
- Code Pink
- Communist Party USA
- Democratic Socialists of America
- Color of Change (Van Jones)
- Green For All (Van Jones)
- SEIU
- National Council of La Raza (The Race)
- American Muslim Association of North America (ties to Hamas and David Duke)

Posted by: bingham60 | October 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I am going tomorrow with camera in hand to record the American Communist Party, The Socialist Party, La Raza and the other hate groups in attendence.

Don't worry Greg, it will get plenty of attention.

Posted by: robtr | October 1, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

This rally is virtually meaningless.

Why? Because it is an event that is manufactured primarily by Union Bosses. This isn't a grassroots movement, where the attendees payed their own way to get the event like the Beck Rally.

This event is payed for by the Unions, chartering busses, attempting to manufacture energy. The reality is that there isn't hardly any energy from the left, because the policies that have been put in place aren't working.

The energy from the other side is authentic. Why? The same reason, because the policies aren't working and people are mad as hell.

November will be the true gauge. This weekend is meaningless....

Posted by: Magox | October 1, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Bearclaw, the church ladies found out about the rally through Sojourners.

Posted by: clintt5 | October 1, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So the unions order their members to go.

Talk about phony astro-turf.

Posted by: drjcarlucci | October 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Question for commenters: Is anyone really bailing because of the trolls?

Posted by: Greg Sargent
________________________________

Oh, my. God forbid anyone penetrate your echo chamber!!

Here's an idea: why don't you start a mailing list, invitation only, and you can just bring in only those who share your misguided world view. And then you can all talk together about how Rush Limbaugh should die and how "teabaggers" are idiots, and how much you hate Sarah Palin, and no one will EVER find out all of the vile things you say.

Oh. Wait. Ezra Klein already tried that. How'd that work out again?

Yutz.

Have fun at the Communists and Thugs-R-Us rally. I look forward to seeing how many arrests there will be. (Glen Beck's rally had zero, if you'd like to use that number for comparison purposes).

Posted by: etpietro | October 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, anyone with contrary thought is called a name. Big surprise. Oh, so common these days from the libs. They have trouble writing anything positive about Obama's policies so they attack Beck, Palin, Boehner, Tea Party, conservatives....anything to take the focus off Obama and his failed leadership. He's incompetent at every level and couldn't even find 3 unemployed people w/o a felony to push for extended unemployment benefits. Democrats running for office know this and "run" when he visits their state.

Progressives have taken over the dem party and scared the crap out of the people that make the most difference....independents.

Now they are going to hold a labor sponsored rally? Rah, rah, let's make gov't even bigger by making labor unions more powerful. Unions have bankrupt CA, IL, NY, NJ, MI and other states who are controlled by democrat state legislators. Is it a good idea to remind voters that unions are democrat's favorite interest group and tax payer dollars are likely indirectly funding these rallies. Brilliant.

Posted by: Tostitos | October 1, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

There will be quite a few oldies at the Lincoln Memorial on Saturday. Same ones who were there on Aug.28th l963(march for jobs)...we are still around- still remember the American War in Vietnam,the murders of JFK, Malcolm X, MLK and RFK.
As for the trolls - why not put an article together about them. I have noticed the ones who are addicted to Mr. King, Mr. Miloy and Mr. Robinson (their favorite racists) - I assume that they are naughty, little white boys who have too much time on their hands and who like to show their behinds...but maybe they are big white boys?

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | October 1, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to see Americans coming together for liberal, pro-people values for a change. Looks like a GREAT day out there for a rally weatherwise, too.

I hope the rally goes wonderfully. But if it doesn't, don't blame Stewart/Colbert. (Instead, thank them for providing an excuse--because that's all it would be--for low attendance this time!)

Posted by: fairfaxvoter1 | October 1, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

75000 seiu members.

Not really grass roots.

Not really the same story.

Not really such a big deal.

seiu members reading from the alinsky playbook, while demanding more is nothing new.

Posted by: docwhocuts | October 1, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

October 2, 2010: the beginning of the end of the corporate-military agenda to impose fascism upon America. We, The People woke up.

Posted by: Spiritof761 | October 1, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Everywhere there's lots of piggies
Living piggie lives
You can see them out for dinner
With their piggy wives
Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon."
--George Harrison

Posted by: mtpeaks | October 1, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

If the standard for trolldom were being "willing to engage in honest debate," many liberal commenters -- including Ethan -- would fall well short. If it were no lying, many liberals would fall well short.

STRF is a problem, but Ethan's complaints about others are nonsense.

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

As for the astroturf rally, no, no one cares.

Posted by: quarterback1 | October 1, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

So how will we know if the rally has a big turnout?

BGeck's rally, less than 80,000 (by those who've countred rallys on the mall for years) was suddenly a half million figure
in the wacky right media

which inexplicably carried the day!
The media is a joke in this country.

Spend all their time ferrreting out anything that might be anti semitic and the rest of the news is up for silly grabs.

Posted by: whistling | October 1, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

No, the media will not care about a rally that makes sense. They would rather talk about 80,000 racist psychos bowing down before Beck and Palin. Fortunately, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are bypassing media approval and turning the Koch/Murdoch/Armey brownshirts into the ultimate joke.

Posted by: revbookburn | October 1, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

There will be crowds supporting the Pres' agenda here in NY and I'm sure it will be reported in the local media. What surprises me about many of the comments about the Tea Party crowd is that these affluent, but upset, Americans chose an entertainer(s) to restore America's honor. I guess the GOP didn't fit the bill. Lest anyone think otherwise, we libs are still fired up and ready to go.

Posted by: ElinorMiller | October 1, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"Hard to say since the media is not pimping this rally the way all the Tea Party ones were pushed. No wall to wall endorsements from Fox News and then coverage of the Fox coverage by anyone else."

It's true. Since there is no "news" outlet in America that donates $1 million to the Democrats the way Fox "News" did earlier this year, it will not be shamelessly promoted by any network. And of course Fox will zoom in on the one or two most radical characters they can find, and focus on them for six hours in one of their "fair and balanced" roundtables. The red state rubes will swallow it uncritically, fully convinced they are watching an actual news channel. I really feel sorry for those people. Complete pawns for the billionaires who manipulate them to vote 180 degrees against their own economic interests.

Posted by: B2O2 | October 2, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey qb, if I see someone, you, Scott or anyone else on an old thread trying to begin a discussion I'll bite. I'm seriously over wading through nonsense threads though. When STRF isn't actually thread bombing himself others are talking about his thread bombing.

Also, I agree he's the only one who may deserve some attention and I'm not even convinced of that. I just don't enjoy it anymore so I'll take a little break. Let Scott know for me will you that I'll keep an eye out for "dead thread" (I just made that up) conversations.

Have a nice weekend!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lmsinca | October 2, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

400 groups--each group containing who knows how many people--couldn't do what God did through one man--Glenn Beck. Why is it that the media in America is still not listening?

Posted by: mollyjenkins | October 2, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse