Posted at 1:39 PM ET, 12/ 7/2010

Is liberal anger at Obama overstated?

By Greg Sargent

I noted below that a new poll sponsored by MoveOn finds intense opposition among Obama's 2008 contributors to a deal extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich. But it's only fair to note the counterargument: In a general sense, for the past two years the idea that there's widespread anger on the left at Obama has been mostly a dramatic overstatement.

Chris Cillizza has the latest numbers showing support for Obama has remained strong among liberals:

In the latest Associated Press survey, which was conducted Nov. 18-22, Obama's standing was quite strong among liberals.

While just 48 percent of the overall sample approve of the job Obama is doing, 80 percent of self-identified liberals feel the same -- a stratospherically high number.

The story is much the same on Obama's personal favorability ratings. An AP poll in the field just after the 2010 election showed that 90 percent of liberals felt favorably inclined to Obama as compared to 55 percent overall.

In February, Obama's approval rating among liberals in the Gallup weekly tracking poll stood at 79 percent. (His overall approval was 50 percent.)

On the week of the election -- Nov. 1-7 -- Obama's approval among liberals was a virtually identical 78 percent even as his overall job approval had dipped to 45 percent.

These numbers suggest that there may be a gap between what high profile liberal commentators -- the so-called "professional left" -- think of Obama, and what self-described rank-and-file liberals think of him. The impression of liberal wrath is also perhaps exaggerated by media organizations that seem eager to feed that storyline.

The question now, however, is whether GOP gains in Congress will induce the Obama team to undertake a strategy that risks genuine alienation of liberals. Obama advisers have reportedly concluded that the key to winning back independents in advance of 2012 is to demonstrate compromise with Republicans in order to recapture his post-partisan appeal.

This has led some folks to proclaim that Obama has already embarked on his own strategy of triangulation. But after talking to White House insiders it's my general sense that they don't view provoking the left as a desirable goal in and of itself. They take seriously the need to maintain relations with the base and are well aware that there are political costs to jettisoning liberal priorities. What's more, if Obama racks up other accomplishments important to liberals -- such as repeal of don't ask don't tell -- the latest round of chatter about liberal anger could again prove to be a mirage.

By Greg Sargent  | December 7, 2010; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  2010 elections, 2012, Independents, taxes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Obama supporters strongly opposed to deal extending Bush tax cuts
Next: Obama administers a stern scolding to lefty critics

Comments

As his staunchest defenders keep reiterating:

Obama never ran on a liberal/leftist ticket; and

We aren't his base.

Do not forget that going forward.

Posted by: Papagnello | December 7, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"The impression of liberal wrath is also perhaps exaggerated by media organizations that seem eager to feed that storyline."

Yes to that whole paragraph.

"whether GOP gains in Congress will induce the Obama team to undertake a strategy that risks genuine alienation of liberals"

No way. There are a LOT of policies that have already been passed that will only begin to come to fruition in these next two years. EPA regulating GHGs, more HCR provisions, Liz Warren's consumer finance bureau, etc. Even if the next two years are a legislative stalemate, Obama will have lots to point to as evidence that his agenda has borne fruit. An economic revitalization will only add to that sentiment.

"Liberal antipathy" is a grossly exaggerated phenomenon perpetuated by the same media clowns who pass along right-wing myths without due diligence or factual analysis.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | December 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll repost because its still relevant.

Published: Thursday, 27 Mar 2008 | 4:15 PM ET

"BARTIROMO: Why raise taxes at all in an economic slowdown? Isn't that going to put a further strain on people?

Sen. OBAMA: Well, look, there's no doubt that anything I do is going to be premised on what the economic situation is when I take office. I'm going to be sworn in in January, we don't know what the economy's going to look like at that point. And, you know, the thing you can--you can be assured of is that I'm not going to making these decisions based on ideology. I'm not a dogmatist."

What that tells me is he's a Centrist that isn't going to draw a line in the sand to get what he thinks will benefit Americans in this economic downturn. Mind you that interview is before the collapse and only a couple months into the job losses.

I'm starting to think the professional left bought into the professional rights pre-election rhetoric of Obama being a Socialist. :)

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

>>Obama advisers have reportedly concluded that the key to winning back independents in advance of 2012 is to demonstrate compromise with Republicans in order to recapture his post-partisan appeal.>>

They've done a whole lot to try to compromise with Republicans over the past two years. The left has criticized them for doing too much.

Notice how well that worked out in the recent elections?

I see no evidence anyone cares about process. They only care about results.

Posted by: fuse | December 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The truth is the democrats have become the "Party of Bait and Switch"

And they are insisting on the "switch"

However, the real situation is that the customer has come back to complain - and the customer is complaining that the Bait be honored - instead of the "switch"

And we have the liberals here - complaining, screaming - they want the "switch" to prevail -

The problem is clear: The "switch" is a non-starter - and the whole country is angry at the left. The "switch" will not hold, it will never win an election - and the American People want their money back.

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me the plantation liberal racist just don't like the fact that Obama is a black president.

Lets just call all this backstabbing anger what it is ...RACISM.

Posted by: Straightline | December 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

They see me triangulatin.' They hatin.'

Posted by: sold2u | December 7, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I think a lot of the real die-hard Obama supporters, and they're certainly entitled to their opinion, fail to recognize that for some of us, just because we're willing to criticize and push for liberal or progressive policies and even criticize the President and many Dems, it doesn't necessarily mean we're going to abandon the ship. I am capable of holding two thoughts and even messages in my head at the same time. Just because I'm disagreeing with some of the decisions and failures of the Administration and Congress doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that I will suddenly hope for or actively work toward putting a Republican in the White House. But I also shouldn't be nervous about expressing my opinion on policy or mistakes for fear of undermining Obama. I'm not, after-all, emotionally invested in his success, but rather the success of his policies.

I happen to agree with a lot of the "professional left" when it comes to policy criticism and I believe we've set the liberal or Dem agenda back in many ways and my silence would only indicate my tacit approval, which they don't have. But by the same token, it's not as if there aren't any accomplishments, there clearly are. I seriously doubt there will be any credible calls for a primary candidate and in the meantime, we have to keep pushing for the policies we believe in. I'm an activist and an advocate, it's what I and others like me do. I'll tell you a little secret though, we never really expect to get more than about half of what we want on a really good day.

I'm also sure as we get closer to the election and campaigns kick into high gear, we'll see the populist side of Obama again. The one problem I see is whether he may have blown some of his credibility with the left, but people are generally willing to give charismatic politicians numerous chances when they hear what they want to and see success on any front.

Posted by: lmsinca | December 7, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

It's not that liberal anger is overstated...

Liberal hypocrisy is understated.

Posted by: sbj3 | December 7, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you that if Ed Schultz was the only news source on teevee Dems would be supporting impeachment right about now or at the very least announcing a primary opponent.

What drives me nuts is the demagogues now trying to grab hold of the right wing tea party arguments about the debt we're passing onto our children and grand children after pointing to poll after poll of voters not concerned about the debt and more concerned about jobs and debt was always a distant 4th or 5th on the radar.

Now all the sudden Obama's a sellout to our grandchildren.

If getting extensions of unemployment for what, 13 months means a bunch of greedy people get a compromise, then so be it. At least now we've got some sort of estate tax in place which was lacking this year. And honestly, I don't see anything drastically wrong with that estate tax. It might need some tweaking but it's not completely outrageous.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I keep getting a notice that this site doesn't have a valid certification. Are you aware of that?

And thank you for looking at how the widest part of the base is viewing things.

And lmsinca, if you're around still, I understand and respect what you said on an earlier thread in response to one of my comments. I sometimes think that the internecine battles/jousts among liberals/progressives are about whether glasses are half full or half empty. But hopefully we're all looking at the same set of glasses.

Posted by: AllButCertain | December 7, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

good stuff, lmisnca, very sane. thanks.

Posted by: sargegreg | December 7, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Seeing these two comments one right after another make me wonder where our education system went wrong.

"Posted by: Straightline

Lets just call all this backstabbing anger what it is ...RACISM.

December 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sold2u

They see me triangulatin.' They hatin.'"

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@mike

sheesh. its a joke.

Posted by: sold2u | December 7, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised to report that this tax "deal" is not the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Frankly, I was more disappointed with the pay freeze. I do think Obama cut a poor deal and he is setting himself up for trouble by not having leverage for another unemployment compensation extension in a year but at least he got something.

But I do think the problem has been uncovered for many of us Obama supporters. He spent almost two years telling us all about what he wanted to do and then he becomes president and stops short of actually fighting for his own opinion.

What Obama needs more than anything else is an extremely strong, vocal, very liberal Democrat leader in either the House or the Senate that will consistently push a progressive agenda. With that, Obama's reconciler style could seem attractive. Unfortunately, we don't really have that. We actually look to Obama to provide that and he is either unwilling or unable.

Posted by: matt_ahrens | December 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"I am capable of holding two thoughts and even messages in my head at the same time."

Oh well then what the heck are you doing here?
On this planet I mean.

Posted by: shrink2 | December 7, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@mike

def was not responding to the prior statement. probably posted simultaneously.

Posted by: sold2u | December 7, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

From Center for American Progress, that right wing bastion of hate!

" Our analysis of the framework tax agreement that President Barack Obama announced yesterday, including additional tax cuts and an extension of unemployment insurance, finds that 2.2 million jobs will be the end result. In this time of economic distress, millions of new jobs are, of course, very welcome. It is, however, unfortunate that these jobs have to come from an agreement that is a balance between large, unneeded, bonus tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans and the needed continuation of unemployment benefits, middle-class tax relief, and additional help for the economy for the rest of us.

While the terms of the deal are understandable given the effective veto power of conservatives, it is unfortunate that policies aimed at the vast majority of Americans and at boosting the economy were held hostage to wasteful tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent. But the Obama administration clearly had its eye on job creation in its willingness to accept $133 billion in misallocated bonus tax breaks for the rich in exchange for policies to sustain the economic recovery and help the middle class."

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

As his staunchest defenders keep reiterating:

Obama never ran on a liberal/leftist ticket; and

We aren't his base.

Do not forget that going forward.

Posted by: Papagnello | December 7, 2010 1:52 PM

_---------------------------

Wow - then why do the liberals keep on expecting Obama to have a far-left agenda

It's all about the "Bait and Switch" Agenda -

The customer is complaining - he wants the original deal.

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AllButCertain 2:09 PM

_______________________________

AllButTheTears

Greg never had a valid certification. This is a rogue leftist site.

In fact, Greg is blogging from a ship off the coast of Venezuela - you didn't know that?

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

If I were Obama, I'd mention the tax cut for the rich will cost more than TARP, after the vote.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | December 7, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Lets just call all this backstabbing anger what it is ...RACISM.

Posted by: Straightline | December 7, 2010 2:03 PM

-------------------------

LOL

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I support him, I just wish he held more ground in fighting against America's enemies, the GOP.

He's actually been a slightly-to-the-left centrist, if you look objectively at what he's done (implementing the Republicans' health care reform plan from the early 90s, pushing for centrist tax rates, etc.).

Posted by: B2O2 | December 7, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Greg, please get something straight....I don't want you to parrot the fox news types. Being a Democrat and being a liberal aren't one and the same thing. In your post at one point you say rank and file democrats and then later you say professional left liberals. The Democratic party has all types. They have conservatives, although most got voted out of office this last November, they have moderates and they have liberals.

I suspect it is safe to say conservative and corporatist Democrats don't have any problems with President Obama's 'negotiations' and 'compromises'. I think it is safe to say that those of us who are liberal think Obama is being Republican lite and that isn't what I voted for or worked hard to get elected.

It will play out in 2012. I'll vote for Obama if it's him against Palin, but he won't get my money nor my time.

Posted by: kindness1 | December 7, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca said -
"I'm also sure as we get closer to the election and campaigns kick into high gear, we'll see the populist side of Obama again."

Perhaps, but so what? "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...."

Barack has been known to stir up a crowd, but for me what was "red meat" has turned to meringue. I could see him being elected again, but something dramatic is going to have to occur to keep the Senate or take back the House in 2012.
Consequently, we'll be back to square one, with a lame duck Prez and about 300 GOP members doing everything they can to negate his agenda.

Posted by: filmnoia | December 7, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone agree with this?

Posted by: ChuckinDenton | December 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Is correcting DADT an equivalent achievement? It seems like he just gave up on this one -- after decrying these high income tax breaks as unfordable and a giveaway to millionaires and billionaires, he's signing off on them? After that, DADT seems like a garbage time TD after the other team has its starters on the bench.

Posted by: NoVAHockey | December 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Whether you're talking about the "professional" left, the "rand and file" left, or the plain old moonbat left, makes no difference because no matter how you slice it, you're still talking about a minority within a faction within a fringe.

They elected their messiah to the most powerful office in the known universe — and now barely two years later, their highest remaining aspiration is to get more same-sexers in uniform? LOL.

Posted by: thebump | December 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Is the tax code fair or efficient???

47% of the country does not pay ANY Federal income taxes.

So WTF is Obama talking about???

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@chuckindenton: "Anyone agree with this?"

Haha. No.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | December 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

lms, thank you for saying so eloquently what I wish I'd said. Good to see you!

Posted by: Michigoose | December 7, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

OT:

The United States and China have significantly narrowed their differences on the verification of reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, officials say, providing hope that a United Nations conference here on climate change here can achieve some modest success.

[...]

The reduced friction between the two nations has greatly improved the mood here, and envoys from both countries expressed guarded optimism this week that a deal could be reached by the end of the conference on Friday.

Posted by: Ethan2010 | December 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

People who identify themselves to pollsters as "liberal" today are a much different - and narrower - group than they were two years ago.

Personally, if "liberal" now means a willingness to endorse an unwillingness to take any kind of moral stand, then I'll just call myself an independent, thank you.

It doesn't mean I've moved to the right; far from it! It merely means I am too disgusted with the President's spinelessness to be identified with it.

Posted by: Itzajob | December 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Just like when you sell a product - you need evangalists. Yes - a lot of people who don't tune into the political process still think Obama is doing a good job. But the people who would push them to the polls have given up on the loser wimp president.

Posted by: aksunder | December 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Is correcting DADT an equivalent achievement?"

I part ways with my left wing brethren on DADT. I'm all for the concept, but I could care less whether it passes before the Congress breaks for the holiday.
It's a parochial issue, whereas the tax cut issue affects everyone.

Posted by: filmnoia | December 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Federal Tax Code as it is now

the bottom half pays nothing.

So, Obama is looking at the 50-60 percentile - and comparing that to what the 90-100 percentile pays.

And the whole debate in how much those percentiles in the upper half pay.

Just to be clear.

Posted by: RainForestRising | December 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Why is extending the unconscionable tax cuts for the rich a liberal issue? Maintaining and extending these tax cuts are hurting the economy of the nation by sinking the deficit even lower. This issue should concern all Americans because it's simply not right to keep stuffing money in the packets of the rich while impoverishing the rest of us. Why is it that doing the right thing a liberal obsession? This only shows that the right-wingers have millions of Americans, including reporters and news analysts, brainwashed. Continuation of this state of affairs is frightening.

Posted by: carlfer | December 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You too Michigoose, you and Sue and I don't hang out here that often anymore, but sometimes I like to weigh in still. I'm doing more local stuff (both politically and volunteering wise) and we're busy at work this time of year so my priorities have shifted a little. If it wasn't for Kevin's troll blocker I'd be gone indefinitely, LOL.

Happy Holidays to you!!!!!!!

Posted by: lmsinca | December 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I loved Obama's noting his "new and improved" Korea trade agreement in his recent press conference attacking his compromise agreement (by the way, this agreement is truly bipartisan unlike the stuff you have been ramming down the country's throat the last two years). How does the left of the left (a/k/a the professional left) feel about that?

I especially thought it was hilarious that he noted the broad range of support this new and improved agreement had from "the auto companies and labor". Wow, that runs the whole gambit of support. Those two groups may have once been opposed, but as the ongoing Government Motors debacle proves, they have been in bed together for some time. And the American taxpayer has been stuck with the drycleaning bill to get their filthy emissions off of the sheets.

Posted by: RecriminyCricket | December 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Someone on another blog posited that the Dems "wanted" this fight over taxes after the election to position themselves just as Obama is doing as "defenders of the middle class". This is partly why they didn't pass it before.

Anyone agree with this?"

Nope. Since I haven't seen any sort of push truly criticizing the Republicans for refusing to vote for middle class cuts alone, I don't think one can argue that this was the plan.

It doesn't even seem to make sense to me. If you want to be the "defenders of the middle class" one would think you would pass middle class tax cuts rather than talk about wanting to do it then only doing it as part of a "compromise".

The only thing I see left to capitalize on is calling on Conservatives for their lip service on caring about the debt then demandng the tax cut for the "wealthy".

Posted by: ashotinthedark | December 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Imsinca/Bernie 2012

Posted by: ChuckinDenton | December 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, sorry, '16...

Posted by: ChuckinDenton | December 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@lms: If I could figure out some way to do it, I'd get Kevin his own personal wink and a smirk from Sarah Palin for Christmas to thank him for creating Troll Blocker! It's amazing how much more pleasant it is with just one poster blocked in all his/her numerous disguises.

@ChuckinDenton: Second!

Posted by: Michigoose | December 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it makes much sense in this present situation to even enter the discussion on taxation ideologies or theories without starting from an acknowledgement that there's an over-arching goal here to cripple government through denying it the funds it needs to operate, to make it so small it can be "drowned in a bathtub" as Norquist stated it.

If you guys lose sight of that fundamental, you're going to get it wrong.

Posted by: bernielatham | December 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Chuck said: "Imsinca/Bernie 2012"

I would accept the position of Assistant to the Prime Minister under Imsinca and the two of us, with your help, can work to bring about a bright new morning for all the people in Canada's newest province, tentatively renamed Queenslandlesstexas.

Posted by: bernielatham | December 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Bernie

If it's Canada you get the top billing, if it's here, I'm moving to Canada.

Posted by: lmsinca | December 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Liberal hypocrisy is understated.

Posted by: sbj3 | December 7, 2010 2:09 PM

Right ... because this deal definitely addresses the two most important issues the GOP raised in the mid-terms -- uncertainty and deficit reduction -- by granting short term tax bonuses to rich people by increasing the deficit. No hypocrisy there.

Posted by: pragmaticagain | December 7, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

David Kurtz apparently thought that Barack Obama was Bernie Sanders and that today was a Seminal Moment in declaring that, no, Barack Obama is not Bernie Sanders, he is Barack Obama:

What a bunch of claptrap.

Barack Obama is/was/shall forever be a pragmatist Democrat. Period fullstop.

No wonder Obama dislikes the Professional Left. They're total boobs. (No offense to boobs)

Posted by: Ethan2010 | December 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

please explain how only 13 months of unemployment extensions is worth 2 years of tax cuts?
It would be a *whole* lot easier to swallow if there was at least some parity (which is sublimely ironic given how much more the tax cuts cost vs the unemployment benefits)

Posted by: rpixley220 | December 7, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Sargent, your point is well-taken: Obama's poll numbers have actually increased since the mid-term election.

However, I think you're overlooking the vulnerability Obama has opened in Democratic primaries. There are a number of really strong candidates, not the least of whom would possibly by Hilary, who can make a huge issue of his compromises.

If Obama makes it out of the primaries, I agree, he has a strong position, even given the irritation lately from his base, especially if his opponent is someone like Palin. But, right now, he would have a very tough time making it out of the primaries.

Posted by: abqcleve | December 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

All, Obama's rebuke of his lefty critics was really quite remarkable:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | December 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Bernie says:

"there's an over-arching goal here to cripple government through denying it the funds it needs to operate"

Of course, what it "needs" to operate is entirely a function of the goals it is trying to accomplish, which is of course a source of political differences. Bernie ignores this fact, pretending that what the government "needs" is well established and objectively knowable thing agreed to by all, and therefore attempts to prevent it from getting its "needs" represent a malicious attack on the very notion of government.

In other words, Bernie's unexamined premises lead him, yet again, to the wrong conclusion.

Posted by: ScottC3 | December 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@Michigoose: "If I could figure out some way to do it, I'd get Kevin his own personal wink and a smirk from Sarah Palin for Christmas to thank him for creating Troll Blocker! "

Donate a few bucks to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

Or, send me some money, there's always more month at the end of the money. ;)

Or, in lieu of that, I'll accept an iPad. ;)

Posted by: Kevin_Willis | December 7, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"liberal anger" and their influence on Obama is what guided us into the slime pit in which we are currently residing. If he would simply ignore and discard those radical leftists he just might be able to salvage something from his administration.

Posted by: rplat | December 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@Ims "I think that's why a number of us were just hoping to let them all expire and just extend unemployment benefits."

My preference too where political/electoral realities (or what I take those to be) are not the focus.

Posted by: bernielatham | December 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

You really think that liberals support Obama remains strong?

How about another kind of poll: how much money can Obama now motivate liberals to contribute to anything he wants to do? That, I should think, is a pretty good measure of how deep the support for Obama really is among his base -- and it is, of course, a very critical part of how he rose to the nomination of the Democratic Party for President, as well as the Presidency itself in the general election.

And God knows that, come 2012, Obama is going to need every last cent he can lay his hands on to run against the Republican candidate, partly because the Republican candidate will be rolling in dough, but even more importantly because there will be so little about Obama that's going to seem appealing to the American people in the midst of what promises to remain a wretched economy.

Posted by: dispartisan | December 7, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"I have just the slightest hunch that Obama and best buddies found it quite a bit harder to drum up financial support from liberal citizens in the 2010 elections than they did in 2008."

The good news for Republicans is that thanks to Citizens United, Obama can't just get anonymous donations from who knows. So he doesn't need all those $10 donations that came from citizens. Hooray for the 1st Amendment!

Posted by: ashotinthedark | December 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And by "Obama can't", I of course meant Obama can get anonymous donations.

So whatever money Obama loses from liberal posters here he can get it from the evil Soros.

Posted by: ashotinthedark | December 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

But ask Obama supporters what they think of the war in Afghanistan? What they think of the tax cuts?

Posted by: Hopeful9 | December 7, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"I guess just seeing those two statements back to back didn't fair good for ya. :("

Talk about our education system going wrong...'fair' good for ya?

Posted by: austin_conservative | December 8, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

To compromise, both sides have to give a little. We have not seen "compromise" on the side of the Republicans; only obstructionism. On the issue of extending the Bush tax cut for the super weathly, I am not in a compromising mood. Obama and the Dems have caved into the Republicans and if that tax cut goes thru I am finished with Obama and the Dems. It is the middle class that must be helped and helped quickly.

Posted by: rosecmazur | December 12, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse