Posted at 4:23 PM ET, 02/ 2/2011

House GOPer to Dems: Please stop saying I want to cut spending

By Greg Sargent

Rep. Robert Hurt, a freshman Republican from Virginia, is one of 19 House GOPers who are being targeted by DCCC ads that accuse Republicans of wanting to cut spending on education by 40 percent. According to a local Virgina news outlet, Hurt really wants Dems to cease and desist:

One of the ads says Hurt has plans to cut education and research by 40 percent. Hurt says he's on a committee that studies proposals, but that the claim isn't true.

"Because I'm a member of that committee, somehow that means that I want to cut education by 40 percent or something like that. I mean it's just totally made up out of whole cloth. I don't know where its coming from," he said.

Steve Benen says Hurt has no business complaining, because he joined the Republican Study Committee, which has advocated for deep, across-the-board cuts. I think the key takeaway here is that Hurt seems to recognize that this attack line is potentially very damaging, and wants it to stop.

This is just one district out of 19, so who knows how significant it is or whether it tells us anything about the success of the DCCC campaign. Still, this sort of thing should be encouraging to Democrats who want to go on offense on the issue of government spending, on the theory that if there's one thing that can get folks to rethink their supposed anti-government bias, it's actual cuts to government.

By Greg Sargent  | February 2, 2011; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  2012, House Dems
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vinson fallout: Florida returns $1 million in health care money to feds
Next: Wisconsin AG clarifies claim that health law is "dead"

Comments

*yawn*

/boring

Posted by: KaddafiDelendaEst | February 2, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

LOL. He's surprised that Dems are telling outright lies? Welcome to Washington.

Posted by: Brigade | February 2, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

One could ask him if not 40% then what percentage does he want to cut from education spending?

Posted by: bernielatham | February 2, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

When the Illinois Appellate Court dropped Rahm Emanuel from the Chicago mayoral ballot, he (or someone in his campaign) tweeted, under the name @RahmEmanuel: "Rahm on today's decision: I have no doubt that in the end we will prevail at this effort … This is just one turn in the road."

Another Rahm Emanuel, this one listed on Twitter as @MayorEmanuel, had a less measured response to that ruling: "Mother(expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) (expletives). What the (expletive) (expletive) mother(expletive) happened?!"

When the Illinois Supreme Court reinstated him a few days later, @RahmEmanuel returned to Twitter to declare: "The IL Supreme Court just ruled that Rahm will stay on the ballot. Thx for your support & let's get ready to vote!"

@MayorEmanuel tweeted: "MOTHER(EXPLETIVE) STREET LEGAL, (FEMALE DOGS)!"

The official Emanuel tweets sound like what you'd expect from a serious politician vying for high office, but @MayorEmanuel, written anonymously amid much

Posted by: RainForestRising | February 2, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The Democrats could build a whole campaign around this phrase: "we'll stop telling the truth about the Republicans when they stop telling lies about us."

Posted by: JennOfArk | February 2, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Ask him how he is going to vote on raising the debt ceiling?

If he says he is going to vote against it; then Democrats will owe him an apology, because he will not be cutting the federal funding to education by 40%. He will be voting to cut it by 100%.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 2, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I thought you were going to stop posting violent metaphors?! "Targeted", "attack", "campaign", and "offense". Didn't you take a pledge or something after you got back from the dentist?

Dana Milbank couldn't keep his "No Mention of Palin" pledge either.

Posted by: clawrence12 | February 2, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

See, he doesn't actually want to cut anything, he just wants to blame Democrats for "too much" spending that drives up his constituents' taxes. And blame them for deficits.

He's like the fun parent who only wants to give the kids ice cream and go to the park, and blame the other parent--the MEAN parent--for "forcing" the kid to go to school and to eat dinner.

So, "spending" is bad, but he's all for our schools! And lower taxes! And ponies!!!

Posted by: theorajones1 | February 2, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Clawrence is JakeD.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 2, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

All, never mind this boring post. This is way better:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | February 2, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Liam makes a good point upthread.

Posted by: JennOfArk | February 2, 2011 4:25 PM
========================================

LOL. I'll bet that's the first time anyone's ever said that---and probably the last.

Posted by: Brigade | February 2, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JennOfArk | February 2, 2011 4:48 PM
=====================================

That's right; they could. But it would be just another lie.

Posted by: Brigade | February 2, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I keep hearing Spending this, spending that, spending whatever....and the Dems and the Repub's are fighting over this and that....what I'd like to know is(and this is off subject-sorry) why aren't they saying anything about the 1.5 BILLION dollars we're sending to EGYPT every year...what the **** is that all about? We could use that money right here at home for say, education,etc. don't you think? You people have your priorities screwed up...don't cut spending on schools or mess with the taxes...quit sending our tax dollars out of the country to places that can make their own way and most of our problems will be over! Quit it!

Posted by: oosolo | February 2, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Clawrence is JakeD.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 2, 2011 5:02 PM
==================================

Greg,

Liam-still is Ed Gein.

Posted by: Brigade | February 2, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Brigade is Plumline's lobotomized version of Nelson Muntz.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 2, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Greg

Liam is Jake

__________________

Greg

Jake is Ed

_____________________

Greg

Ed is Liam, who in turn has lost his mind.

Posted by: RainForestRising | February 2, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

At the risk of repeating myself, Republican braggadocio = epic fail.

Posted by: karenfink | February 2, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm back on topic again....I'm trying to figure out what this guy Hurt is complaining about..I mean he IS a Republican and he IS on that committee so where is he coming from? This is what I'm talking about...
"Rep. Robert Hurt, a freshman Republican from Virginia, is one of 19 House GOPers who are being
advocated for deep, across-the-board cuts."
Now, doesn't that actually say what he's all about? Now I'm going to go back to my last comment...why is no one looking at the BILLIONS and TRILLIONS of our tax dollars that are being sent to all of these countries overseas...I mean, what are we...the world's Salvation Army? I think we had better start thinking about our own troubles...our own economy before we lose control sliding down a hill in a hand-basket! In the words of an old movie "There's still time Brother!"

Posted by: oosolo | February 2, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

oosolo, allow me to apply your logic to the other end of the political spectrum and I think you will spot the problem rather quickly. Our very own Liam-still has made it no secret that he will be personally helping to get Palin nominated as the Republican candidate for President next year (based on the assumption that she could never beat Obama). If he joins SarahPAC in order to accomplish his goals and the RNC starts running tv ads that claim "Liam-still wants her in the Oval Office too!" wouldn't you agree that such a claim would be totally made up out of whole cloth, especially after he affirmatively denies that is his intent at all?

Posted by: clawrence12 | February 2, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I am only doing so to repay our great debt to Rush Limbaugh, for having being so gracious as to urge all his followers to participate in selecting the Democrat's nominee, back in 2008.

I really appreciated that; and it would be very rude of me, not to repay Rush's act of great generosity and bipartisanship.

I am going to Tea Party for Palin like it is 2008.

No need to thank me, Conservatives. The pleasure will be all mine.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 2, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Hello Mr. Hurt.. Welcome to your worst GOP nightmare... The Pig-Swill chamber... You helped shape it now live with it you meaningless piece of garbage....

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | February 3, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse