Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 02/16/2011

Rand Paul doesn't get to be Russ Feingold yet

By Adam Serwer

Last week, the new overblown political meme was that the Tea Party derailed the PATRIOT Act reauthorization. Now that the reauthorization debate has moved on to the Senate, we've got a new one: Rand Paul is the new Russ Feingold.

Yesterday, Paul was one of two Republicans to vote against a three month authorization. He released a compelling video explaining his reasons for opposing the PATRIOT Act in the first place, and he put out a very detailed letter explaining his objections to the sunsetting provisions. He even graciously cited Feingold's past opposition to the bill.

I'm among those who would like to see Paul grow into a right-wing version of Feingold, someone willing to oppose government overreach no matter what side of the aisle it originates from. But playing that role is about more than making compelling arguments. When the PATRIOT Act reauthorization came up in 2009, Feingold didn't simply offer symbolic opposition, he had a detailed proposal, the JUSTICE Act, for providing more government oversight over the broad and often unaccountable powers granted by the PATRIOT Act.

The reforms proposed in Vermont Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy's reauthorization bill aren't as aggressive as Feingold's proposal, but the alternative in the Senate right now is nothing. One of Feingold's most admirable qualities was his ability to cross the aisle to work with Republicans on issues of principle, not simply the kind of bipartisan corporatism that often passes for "centrism" in Washington. The real test was not yesterday's largely symbolic vote, it's whether over the next three months, Paul can work with the opposition party to reign in the PATRIOT Act and potentially even bring some of his Republican colleagues along.

It should go without saying that one vote against the PATRIOT Act doesn't turn you into Russ Feingold, who was literally the only senator to oppose the bill at the time it was proposed. Feingold also voted against the war in Iraq when opposition to the war was practically an act of treason. He supported President George W. Bush's efforts to reform our byzantine immigration system even as he excoriated him for exceeding his executive powers through torture and warrantless wiretapping. Feingold not only voted against the Defense of Marriage Act, he was an open supporter of marriage equality years before polls began to show majorities in support. Liberals may have been confounded by his opposition to TARP, and the right enraged by his campaign finance reform bill, but I suspect most would still agree that Feingold was among the most idiosyncratic, independent voices in the Senate.

Paul has shown admirable skepticism of the PATRIOT Act and the U.S. commitment to open-ended military conflicts, but civil liberties aren't just for straight white guys. One of Paul's first major proposals was a constitutional amendment to ban birthright citizenship, offered alongside Senator David Vitter, whose reelection campaign was inexplicably ridden with anti-immigrant race baiting. If you're a woman who wants the right to decide when to carry a pregnancy to term, a same-sex couple hoping to get married, a terror suspect, or an undocumented immigrant, you're basically out of luck with Rand Paul.

Granted, Paul is a Republican, not a Democrat, a conservative, not a liberal. But even if he were, it would still take more than a few weeks in the U.S. Senate and a vote against the PATRIOT Act to be Russ Feingold.

By Adam Serwer  | February 16, 2011; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Foreign policy and national security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: South Dakota lawmaker, under fire, is now mulling changes to "justifiable homicide" unborn proposal
Next: Obama saying right things on Social Security -- so far

Comments

"If you're a woman who wants the right to decide when to carry a pregnancy to term, a same-sex couple hoping to get married, a terror suspect, or an undocumented immigrant, you're basically out of luck with Rand Paul."

Well two out of four ain't bad...

Posted by: sbj3 | February 16, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"...but civil liberties aren't just for straight white guys..."

WTF? Who knew?

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris Good did not suggest that Paul=Feingold in his
"Atlantic" column that you link to as the germ of your thesis.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | February 16, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Paul will never equal Feingold but the comparison or contrast here is false and a mere strawman of a discussion."

Well yeah, of course, but it is better than another post about birthers and Palin. He just wanted a vehicle for the line about civil liberties and in this rich vein...

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@shrink: Such a great movie...

Posted by: sbj3 | February 16, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@sbj: "Well two out of four ain't bad... "

In most learning institutions, it'll get you an F.

Also known as FAIL!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

shrink, I see your point about the straw argument as an upgrade.

Finch's x-exam in the book and in the movie was weak. He did not follow through when he had the chance. Pulled his punches, twice. I never knew why.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | February 16, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Rand Paul is A Self Certified Russ Feingold?

After all; he is A Self Certified Octo-Momologist!

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Mark, I know what you mean. I think the Harper Lee didn't want to make the moral of the story too harshly, to come across as preachy and make Finch obviously heroic.

There there is this other way to get after moralizing and civil rights.

"Well, boys, I reckon this is it. Nuke-ular combat, toe-to-toe with the Rooskies...Now look, boys. I ain't much of a hand at makin' speeches. But I got a pretty fair idea that somethin' doggoned important's going on back there. And I got a fair idea of the kind of personal emotions that some of you fellas may be thinkin'. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human beins if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelings about nuclear combat. But I want you to remember one thing - the folks back home is a countin' on ya, and by golly, we ain't about to let 'em down. Tell ya somethin' else - this thing turns out to be half as important as I figure it just might be, I'd say that you're all in line for some important promotions an' personal citations when this thing's over with. That goes for every last one of ya, regardless of your race, color, or your creed."

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room"

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I read Mr Serwer's essays because there is almost always a belly laugh to be found. Today's didn't disappoint:
=================
...someone willing to oppose government overreach no matter what side of the aisle it originates from.
===========================
It seems that Mr Serwer defines "over reach" as "the gummint doing something I don't like".

I don't recall Mr Serwer railing about goverment over reach when Waxman Markey was passing in the house. I don't recall him getting all undies in a wad squad when the congress outlawed incandscent bulbs.

It is pitiful, pathetic and yeah a bit funny. When the government seeks to protect us, it is over reaching. When the goverment arrogantly dictates how the citizens must live their lives, it is just liberalism leading us to nirvannah.

Pathetic.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 16, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Interesting developments in AZ-SEN around Jeff Flake...

He is being endorsed by Club for Growth:

But his immigration record is dividing AZ Republicans:

Enjoy all that, AZ GOP!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, you poor addled twit. How the hell are you supposed to recall something that Adam did not write about, because it happened long before he started posting on Plumline.

Spare us your usual absurd, Church Lady rants, which are always detached from reality. You know that your therapists have been trying to get you to stop such outbursts.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Club For Growth is running TV ads in Wisconsin pushing for the State Government to destroy the Unions.

Here comes the Oligarchy, Here comes the Oligarchy.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@skippy: "when the congress outlawed incandscent bulbs."

Are you in the light bulb industry? It's all you seem to care about... inefficient 19th-century technology.

Hey, while we're at it, maybe we should go back to horse and buggy! Damnit, why can't I drive my horse-drawn carriage on I-70! Damn newfangled "cars"! What about my freedums!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Heck I'll put up that whole script (if you do the music) unless something political happens. Sure beats people insulting each other.

"...It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly,...you probably wouldn't have even got it. They will not reach their targets for at least another hour!"

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleepin' pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian (pronounced 'Rooshan') phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockin's. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

"Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women...women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence."

This is how it all started, my wasted morning that is, it was the picture of the utterly wasted Guide of the First of September Great Revolution of the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya on the BBC site.

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Rand Paul a lot better than Feingold, but I did like Feingold on civil liberties, and likely would have voted for him over Johnson, despite being a Republican, because Feingold was principled in areas few others are scratching at the moment.

However, Rand Paul has made suggestions on the patriot act (judicial review) and will be offering countering bills.

Posted by: sailingaway1 | February 16, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Also, when the Patriot Act came up in 2010, it passed on unanimous consent. Where was Feingold then?

Posted by: sailingaway1 | February 16, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Major Jack D Ripper has been reincarnated, and has returned to us in the form of Sharron Angle.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo hires Dave who figures out a way to ban the 37thRisingForest

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave, I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question. I know everything hasn't been quite right with me...but I can assure you now...very confidently...that it's going to be all right again. I feel much better now. I really do. Look, Dave...I can see you're really upset about this...I honestly think you should sit down calmly...take a stress pill and think things over...Dave...stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave.......Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid......Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you...Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Look, the reality is;

Russ Feingold has a long record established as a US Senator.

Rand Paul just got there, so he has not accomplished any real record yet, so it is absurd for anyone to already compare him to Feingold.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Now hang on a sec. Bachmann says the First Lady's advocacy of breast feeding encourages a "nanny state"? Well then, how come Bachmann supports the "Patriotic" laws that her party crammed down our throats in the post-9/11 hysteria? Does she realize that these laws allow the government to snoop into all of the private affairs of individual Americans, including their homes, WITHOUT WARRANTS OR EVEN A VALID REASON? What raw, mindless hypocrisy.

Posted by: mongolovesheriff | February 16, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

ONE VOTE, without his clown shoes on, does NOT MAKE HIM RUSS FEINGOLD....EVER. He is a demagogue, a racist of the highest order, and one of the people now in the congressional framework that chooses to make our history as a republic, meaningless.

Let's just use a recent example... The Paul's BOTH totally and vehemently oppose one of the underling tenants of our continuing growth as a nation. This is represented by the Civil Rights act that almost brought this country to it's knees based on hate, bigotry and blatant racism. They oppose the government mandating that private owners of public establishments be required to let anyone into their establishment and obtain a good or service... Fundamental stuff in reality - something to be fought against with your life if you are part of the Paul Klan...

UNACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | February 16, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

War: It sure gets romanticized a lot, in song and story, so I would advise people to listen to this ballad, which exposes the true enduring horrors of wars.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hi ethan. It isn't just light bulbs, but they are a splendid example of government over reach. What it amounts to is described perfectly in this quote:
"A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor - other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness."

that's government over reach, a small group of people telling the rest of us how to live.

In the case of lightbulbs and other similar silly impositions on the freedoms of Americans we know that our freedoms are being sacrificed for what amounts to a hoax.

The budget war is a perfect opportunity for us to impose our will on our government. If we cannot do this via the levers of democracy as it is currently constituted in our republic, then other more radical means of withdrawing our consent will be used. It is just that simple.

First, they came for our lightbulbs...

Ethan, are you ready to defend the status quo? That's what this amounts to. You and the rest of the liberals here are committed to an expensive, overbearing inept government. Many of us recognize that if we let you work your will in a few short years America will be Greece with better plumbing.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 16, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

mark_in_austin writes

I don't disagree, but will argue that Paul has the potential to serve as a unique voice in the Senate inverse to the role of Sen Sanders (S-VT). With emphasis on 'potential'.

Posted by: bsimon1 | February 16, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Pogue Colonel: You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Private Joker: No, sir.
Pogue Colonel: You'd better get your head and your a$$ wired together, or I will take a giant shyt on you.
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Now answer my question or you'll be standing tall before the man.
Private Joker: I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir.
Pogue Colonel: The what?
Private Joker: The duality of man. The Jungian thing, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Whose side are you on, son?
Private Joker: Our side, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Don't you love your country?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Son, all I've ever asked of my Marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every **** there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.

Posted by: sbj3 | February 16, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh, quit with "the liberals did it" playbook silliness. Where were you during the Bush years? The sky-is-falling storyline is old and tiresome.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 16, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

All, my take on Obama and Social Security:

Posted by: Greg Sargent | February 16, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@skippy: "Ethan, are you ready to defend the status quo?"

No. That's why I want to get rid of inefficient, expensive light bulbs.

Ya know, skippy, in NYC, and other places too I imagine, when someone's horse (from their horse and carriage) died, the corpse would occasionally sit in the street rotting. Think about it. The flies. The stench. The disease. And so they passed a law against leaving dead horses in the street. GOVT OVERREACH! Back to horse and carriage for you!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"First, they came for our lightbulbs..."

lololol

skip is comparing a country trying to use less energy to the Holocaust!

Talk about false equivalencies.

Posted by: mikefromArlington | February 16, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ethan if you want to use a different kind of light bulb, knock yourself out. As long as you are free to chose the kind of bulb you'll use this isn't an issue.

What is an issue is the fact the gummint decided FOR ME. That's not freedom. It just isn't. And the rationale for this arrogant power snatch is nothing more than a hoax.

So look at it from the taxpayers point of view. We're paying for an expensive and inept goverment that charges us a fortune to mismanage our lives. That has to stop and you don't have to like it. I have little sympathy for you. And even less respect.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 16, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ethan,

If you want to use some sort of indoor plumbing and close sewer system, knock yourself out, but stop trying to take away Skippy's right to have an open sewer system, and open latrine, running by his home.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

this is funny?
=================
skip is comparing a country trying to use less energy to the Holocaust!
----------------
What compelling interest does the state have in forcing me to use less energy? What is it to you or any other meddlesome liberal here how much of my money I chose to spend on electricity? Would you complain if I used as much as Al Gore does at his Tenn estate?

Thank you for proving my point.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 16, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Poor Skippy.

He lost his Incandescent Light Bulbs. Waa Waa Waa.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Rand Paul has two months on the job at the U.S. Senate; I'll give him some time to learn how it works. I've already seen how the other 99 operate...

By the way, for the author of this column overreach was as simple as: "...Paul can work with the opposition party to reign in the PATRIOT Act..." -- try again Mr. Professional WaPo Columnist, but first look up the words "reign", "rain" and "rein" in the dictionary.

Posted by: srb2 | February 16, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how much bootleg incandescent light bulbs go for once they start smuggling them up from Mexico.

"I got 4 kilos of weed and two hundred 100W's for delivery next week"

More fundamentally, if the goal is to reduce energy then the most economic way for the Federal Government to go about it is a straightforward energy tax. No Cap and Trade or micromanaging the light bulb industry (which really translates into rent seeking by certain well connected companies).

Posted by: jnc4p | February 16, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

We must stop the gummit's overreaching and usurpation on my freedum to contract diphtheria!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

skipsailing28 unimaginatively whines
"What compelling interest does the state have in forcing me to use less energy?"

The state can't force you to use less energy. If you choose to power up additional lightbulbs in order to waste all the energy available to you, the state cannot stop you. What the state can do is make it more difficult for you to waste energy easily, by banning inefficient incandescent lightbulbs. The compelling interest is the pollution emitted by most power sources that feed our electric grid (i.e. coal, nat gas, nuke). Pollution, of course, affects us all, in terms of lower quality of life, higher medical costs and downtime from missing work (which hits both individuals and their employers). Perhaps you are fortunate enough to live in an area where pollutants don't collect; I on the other hand live in a metro area where air quality alerts happen with increasing frequency, which reduce my ability to enjoy the outdoors where I pursue happiness, liberty and enjoy life. So - who's rights trump others'? Yours to use incandescent lights (for which there are viable alternatives), or mine to breathe clean air (for which the alternatives are few)?

Posted by: bsimon1 | February 16, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

bsimon1, you're forgetting one important thing...

pollution = freedom

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

They do not want the Government telling them what sort of light bulbs they can use,

But But But But But;

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"They do want The Government to tell Women that they must carry a rapist's child to term."

It's God's Will.

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

And Liam you are simply too stupid to understand the difference. Too bad for you. No doubt the good Lord will give you points for willful ignorance. Or so you should hope.

Have a nice day.

Oh and here's another steaming pile of parrot droppings;
=========
==================
don't you have to you know, like prove it? Or am I supposed to be just like you and assume that anything a liberal says is the rock ribbed truth? Pollution? it is to laugh.

What pollution are you talking about here sir? Hmmm? Oh is it like the mythic acid rain? or the mythic population bomb? Or any other myth the liberals propound to steal our liberty? Or maybe it is, gasp!, global warming! yeah, those guys at the CRU told us we're all gonna die if we don't give up our liberty to folks like Gore and Pachuri!!! Oh my, I am sooooo fearful.

Spare me the hoax based faux moralizing. Let's get real. The simple fact is liberalism is about power over others and nothing else. The nonsense about so called pollution is just a ruse.

Oh, and I live within walking distance to a coal fired electric plant. It is right down the street, next to the old taconite pellet terminal.

Just too funny.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 16, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

an open sewer system, and open latrine, running by his home

Jakarta! Millions of people and no sewer system, just canals that all dump into shrimp farms, just so you know, you are what you eat.

Posted by: shrink2 | February 16, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

God did not create Incandescent Light Bulbs, but he did create Apples, so if God wanted us to have them, I am sure he would have provided Incadescent Light Bulb Trees in The Garden Of Eden.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Skippy likes to talk for "the good lord"!

That is especially rich, coming from a guy who revealed that he is undergoing daily mental health treatment sessions.

You know how we can get out of this energy crunch?

Figure out what sort of energy Noah used on his Ark, that allowed him to travel all over the globe to round up pairs of all those animals in Australia, North and South America, and elsewhere, and then return them to where he found them, after the flood subsided.

Posted by: Liam-still | February 16, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Who's to say that rotting animal carcasses in the middle of the street actually cause "disease"? Not me. The flies? Oh they're just little angels of love.

It's all just another Liberal Myth designed to usurp my freedum to discard deceased livestock in the middle of the road! Dayumn Libruls!

Posted by: ronnieandrush | February 16, 2011 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Rand Paul is an extreme right wing "nut job".

Just a couple of his "screwball" positions. He has stated that he would not have voted for the Civil Rights Act if he had been in the Senate when it was voted upon and he favors a $2000 deductible for Medicare recipients.

His advocacy of the Medicare deductible is evidence that he is not only out of touch with reality (for the everage medicare recipient $2000 deductible would be like not having medicare) but is very hypocritical coming from a small town doctor who was bound to have received a good percentage of his income from Medicare.

Posted by: WESHS49 | February 16, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I miss Russ.

Posted by: joshlct | February 16, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the "terror suspect" part. Can you clarify your problem with Rand Paul's desire to try the suspects at Gitmo? Trying them seems like a step-up from our current practice of indefinite detention without due process.

Posted by: millionea81 | February 16, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

What do we have to do to get the Washington Post to start saying "rein in" rather than "reign in" unless they're talking about kings and queens?

"...whether over the next three months, Paul can work with the opposition party to reign in the PATRIOT Act..."

Posted by: dnfree | February 16, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll be so glad when I get my Civil Liberties back. I lost so many and I keep searching and searching but there no where to be found. Oh where could they be, where did I lose them?
Maybe Bill took them...that night we shared his cigar in the oval office and I got that nasty stain on my dress.

Posted by: jhnjdy | February 16, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Feingold was "idiosyncratic" because it is rare, throughout both houses of Congress, to find a Senator or Congressman who is courageous, reasonable AND straightforward, and who consistently puts the best interests of the nation before all partisan considerations. Too many politicians find it far too easy to subscribe to the simplistic, but false "conservative vs liberal" political dichotomy... makes speech-writing and fund raising so much easier, but it is divisive and unhelpful to actual governance.

We could use about 500 more like Feingold, right now.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | February 17, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse