BOOK WORLD - August 15, 2010
The list grows a bit longer this week, with a surge of books on war and its execution joining the ranks. Perhaps a grappling for meaning with the renewed focus on the dual wars (their funding and timetables) in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Hard to say ... Maria Ressa, then CNN's Jakarta bureau chief (now with the ABS-CBN network in the Phillipines) penned her book back in 2003, though it's still a lively look at a critical region in the growth of extremism and Al-Qaeda terrorist networks.
And David Kilcullen, a former counterinsurgency advisor to Gen. David Petraeus, has a study that surely resonates for those on the front lines of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan ... and those responisble for sending them there.
And Bacevich, the former Army colonel turned academic, ponders the sacrifices and justifications for America's almost perpetual state of war as it aims to settle crises around the world. An act of global leadership or a way of maintaining the supremacy of America's interests?
1. The Obama Diaries (Threshold Editions, $25)
By Laura Ingraham
2. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
(Norton, $27.95). By Michael Lewis
3. Washington Rules: America's Path to Permanent War
(Metropolitan, $25). By Andrew J. Bacevich
4. War (Twelve, $26.99). By Sebastian Junger
5. Cyber War: The Next Threat to National Security and What to Do About It
(Ecco, $25.99). By Richard C. Clarke and Robert K. Knake
6. Spoken from the Heart
(Scribner, $30). By Laura Bush
7. Seeds of Terror: An Eyewitness Account of Al-Qaeda's Newest Center of Operations in Southeast Asia
(Free Press, $26). By Maria A. Ressa
8. The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One
(Oxford Univ., $27.99). By David Kilcullen
9. To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine
(Regnery, $29.95). By Newt Gingrich
Drawn from Book World's bestseller data supplied by Nielsen BookScan for the week ending August 8 (culled from the top 50 titles sold). The chart may not be reproduced without permission from Nielsen BookScan. Copyright © 2010 by Nielsen BookScan.