BOOK WORLD - December 19, 2010
Just one week 'till Christmas ... and political books are selling just about the same, with only one new addition to the list this week (others have been on, fallen off, and made return engagements).
That new title is "And the Pursuit of Happiness," a delightfully illustrated meditation on the meaning of democracy by artist and illustrator Maira Kalman. The book, which actually was first published as a blog series for the New York Times, begins with President Obama's inauguration and follows Kalman's travels across the country documenting and absorbing the acts of demoracy, big and small, practiced by our fellow citizens. It's a shame this book (which published back in October) took so long to join the bestseller ranks ...
1. Decision Points (Crown, $35)
By George W. Bush
2. America by Heart : Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
(Harper, $25.99). By Sarah Palin
3. Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure
(Threshold Editions, $29.99). By Glenn Beck
4. Pinheads and Patriots: Where You Stand in the Age of Obama
(Morrow, $27.99). By Bill O'Reilly
5. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
(Norton, $27.95). By Michael Lewis
6. American Heroes in Special Operations
(Fidelis, $24.99). By Oliver North
7. Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices
(Twelve, $30). By Noah Feldman
8. More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
(Penguin Press, $29.95). By Sebastian Mallaby
9. Obama's Wars
(Simon & Schuster, $30). By Bob Woodward
10. And the Pursuit of Happiness
(Penguin Press, $29.95). By Maira Kalman
Drawn from Book World's bestseller data supplied by Nielsen BookScan for the week ending December 12 (culled from the top 50 titles sold). The chart may not be reproduced without permission from Nielsen BookScan. Copyright © 2010 by Nielsen BookScan.