Morning briefing: Japan hikes cigarette tax dramatically
1. Japan hiked taxes on cigarettes to a record 40 percent to try to discourage smoking.
2. Ecuador declared a state of emergency as protests that began Thursday, when some military and national police upset with proposed wage cuts walked off the job, quickly escalated into national unrest.
2. Manufacturing growth in China picked up the pace in September.
3. Retail sales in Germany were down slightly in August.
4. Polish manufacturing grew at the fastest rate in four years thanks to exports.
Ariana Eunjung Cha
| October 1, 2010; 8:16 AM ET
Categories: *Morning briefing
Save & Share: Previous: Economic agenda: Friday, Oct. 1, 2010
Next: N.Y. Fed chief Dudley: 'Further action likely to be warranted'