Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Nintendo Impressions

Solid press conference. Reggie Fils-Aime (marketing head of Nintendo America) really knows how to pump up a crowd. The live demo of Zelda on the Wii was pretty cool, too. I was kinda bummed about the visuals. After seeing PS3's HD visuals, Wii's looked kinda weak. Looked like GameCube, honestly.

By Bob Greiner  |  May 9, 2006; 2:05 PM ET  | Category:  E3: Dispatches
Previous: A Wii Problem | Next: Wii, Myself and I

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

No mention of the versatility of the controller? Are you a graphics whore Mr. "Journamalist"?

That's funny, you seemed to be very excited about the Sony rip-off controller, even to the point that you disingenously compared it to the Wii remote.

But no, no mention of the MAIN SELLING POINT of Ninetndos new system, the innovative controllers.

Oh, but that Reggie can sure pump up a crowd.

God, I cant stand ignorant media-elite rubes...

Posted by: John in Chicago | May 9, 2006 2:11 PM

Reggie Fil-Aime is _not_ the "head of Nintendo America". He is Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Nintendo of America.

Is it really that hard to do a little research? Whether its sports, politics or technology; one would think that WaPo employees do not have access to google or something....

Posted by: Dee-Duh-dee | May 9, 2006 2:13 PM

I was not ableto watch the actual press conference but I am hearing that the visuals were not that great and that is why Nintendo did not even talk about them---all about the gameplay, which is great but in this day and age Sony/Microsoft frame these issues and have a lot better marketing than Nintendo---this could kill them. Still no price or date. I was actually let down at this press conference--in regards to big bombs and more info. Come on Nintendo!

Posted by: TheCzar | May 9, 2006 2:16 PM

The new Zelda game actually is being released for GameCube (even though it will be compatible with the Wii). That could be the reason why the graphics look like GameCube graphics....

Posted by: Pup 'n' Taco | May 9, 2006 2:21 PM

The mistake in Fils-Aimes's title was not Tom's -- it was inserted by an editor. The error has been corrected.

Posted by: post.com staff | May 9, 2006 3:08 PM

Who care's if everything isnt 1080p I wont be buying a High def TV till it becomes the standard definition .

Posted by: Matt | May 9, 2006 3:20 PM

Awful bias, or just complete ignorance..

Posted by: Jim | May 9, 2006 4:28 PM

What about the new features of the controller, like the built in speaker? The 24 hour internet connection service that has your games interact over the internet while you sleep? Any of that worthwhile at all?

HDTV only has about an 8% market penetration, the fact that the Wii doesn't support true HD (only 480p) is considered the most important thing for you to mention?

Extremely poor article. Wow.

Posted by: Erik | May 9, 2006 4:41 PM

"in this day and age Sony/Microsoft frame these issues (graphics) and have a lot better marketing than Nintendo"

HD is expensive to develop for games. Microsoft and Sony have doomed developers for the next 4-5 years to commit 10+ million for decent games. That will 1) keep them away, 2) bankrupt them when games tank or, 3) produce a great game that is only moderately profitable. Graphics have been the selling point of all systems since SNES, which is why the industry is creatively stagnant.

As for marketing, anyone that saw Nintendo's and Sony's presentations knows who puts a better foot forward.

Wii will be cheaper, and funner. Forget about the price, it will be cheaper than Xbox Lite. Forget the date, it will be out for Christmas.

Posted by: Dave | May 9, 2006 6:41 PM

To add further to what Dave has said, the baseless arguments that Nintendo's marketing is poor is shown to be even more false when you consider the success of the DS, paritucularly in Japan. The DS Lite launch in Japan had numbers comparable to, and almost beat the PSP's original launch.

Let me re-iterate, Nintendo can re-package a year old system, and almost sell more than their competitor did with their brand new system. If that's not good marketing, I just don't know what is.

Posted by: Erik | May 9, 2006 9:12 PM

"If that's not good marketing, I just don't know what is."

It's not good marketing, it's a good product. Nintendo built itself on quality, not business savvy... which is why it's the underdog in the console wars.

Posted by: JC | May 10, 2006 11:14 AM

Agree to disagree I guess, I just don't see how selling a slightly better version of a year old product with the same results as a competitor sells a new product as bad marketing.

Position as "number 3" seems irrelevant. Espcially since world wide the best selling console is the DS, not the PS2, X-Box or any other system.

Posted by: Erik | May 10, 2006 11:27 AM