Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees

EBay chief executive Meg Whitman debuted many new features and policies for eBay's marketplace in her keynote speech Tuesday night, but it was the surprise concert by singer Davy Jones of the Monkees that got the crowd roaring on its feet.

Davy Jones provided Tuesday night's entertainment. (Leslie Walker-The Washington Post)

A Monkees song provides the backdrop for one of eBay's "It" TV commercials, and the 1960s-era rock band reflects the Baby Boomer demographic that makes up much of the mom-and-pop seller base that helped make eBay a world leader in electronic commerce.

Thousands of eBay dealers screamed when Jones ran on stage, and many rushed to the front of the vast arena to get their pictures taken standing in front of the Monkees star.

As for news, Whitman and Bill Cobb, president of eBay North America, announced all sorts of changes:

EBay chief executive Meg Whitman announced a number of initiatives during her remarks. (Leslie Walker-The Washington Post)

--Next week, eBay will start integrating the Skype phone calling system into eBay listings for autos, real estate and 14 other merchandise categories.

--EBay is launching a mobile "eBay Alerts" service that will let bidders get calls on their cell phones shortly before bidding ends on the items they are trying to buy, allowing them to raise their bids by phone.

--The auctioneer has decided to enforce rules prohibiting "excessive shipping" charges more strictly.

--EBay is raising its seller verification requirements for merchants who want to sell across national borders.

--U.S. Postmaster General John Potter went on stage to announce a special new priority mail box -- just for shoes.

By Leslie Walker  |  June 14, 2006; 10:15 AM ET  | Category:  EBay Live , Leslie Walker
Previous: EBay + Skype + PayPal = ?? | Next: Blogs, Wikis, Guides, Reviews ... What Next?

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

There is really only one thing good about ebay & that is information. Learning about item & related items is big plus. However, there is real downside, you will likely pay above list price for near useless broken junk. Ebay is bad value with good information. I do NOT reccomend ebay to anyone. Any monies spent will be 100% loss. You'll see.

Posted by: THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK | June 14, 2006 4:26 PM

"However, there is real downside, you will likely pay above list price for near useless broken junk."

Oh really? Then all the college textbooks I got for under half price, the racing scanner I got for half price, and the CDs I picked up for 75 cents were all anomalies? Being able to buy 8 CDs with a 50 dollar gift certificate was a fluke?

I've never paid above list price for anything on eBay, even when you include shipping, because I do my research. Both on the item, and on the seller. Sounds like you didn't, and got burned.

Doesn't mean that eBay isn't for everyone, but it may not be for you.

Posted by: Columbia, MD | June 14, 2006 5:00 PM

It was cool to hear that Davy Jones was there. ;O)

Posted by: dj fan | June 14, 2006 6:00 PM

I would be happy with EBay if they would just give David his own page. All the "Pirate" items make it difficult to weed through the items to locate David's stuff.

Posted by: beenaround4ever | June 14, 2006 7:26 PM

Using Daydream Believer was the coolest thing Ebay ever did. Weird Al is cool, but Davy is COOL...:-)

Jan

Posted by: Jan | June 14, 2006 9:33 PM

How cool to have Davy at the Ebay event! Tip for beenaround4ever - type -pirates - locker after Davy Jones and it will eliminate a lot of the POTC stuff, leaving you with about 100 items to search through.

Posted by: busysewing | June 15, 2006 8:38 AM

Sounds like a turn for the better even though I haven't had a bad deal like the first poster Thomas Steart van etc...

Way to go DJ. Hitting 60 never looked better! Crave the Dave right, Jan?

Posted by: janice | June 15, 2006 12:45 PM

Davy Jones

Posted by: tammy | June 15, 2006 9:59 PM

I've always had success with Ebay. I have a whole room of Davy/Monkee stuff because of them. Found items that I never thought I would have. But I still think Davy needs his own page (thanks for the tip-busysewing!)

Posted by: beenaround4ever | June 16, 2006 6:15 AM