Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Star Wars & Legos: The Force is Still Powerful

Mike Musgrove

(Screenshot courtesy of LucasArts)

I have a secret agenda: To get my girlfriend's five-year-old son interested in Star Wars, so that I don't have to just watch Pixar's summer blockbuster Cars 5 million times this winter after it comes out on DVD.

Thanks to a new video game, this plan actually has a chance of working out. It's called Star Wars Legos II, and we're both hooked.

Basically, it's the Star Wars story told through Lego toys: Blast a stormtrooper and he shatters into a bunch of Lego pieces. It's one of those rare games that is simple enough for kids to play and clever enough for adults to enjoy as well. At the moment, we're working through the original Star Wars story (and, by original, I mean the 1977 flick): The kid likes to play Luke, while I take Han or Obi Wan, depending on the scene. Now, he knows the names of all the characters and has started asking me to bring over my Star Wars trilogy DVDs.

(Screenshot courtesy of LucasArts)

The circle is now complete.

By Mike Musgrove  |  October 31, 2006; 5:30 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Readers to Papers: Drop Dead | Next: Lunchtime Briefing: Halloween Edition

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

A marriage of Legos and Star Wars? Both are icons in my life, but I can't say I get the appeal of building virtual plastic spaceships or snapping together electronic replicas of plastic landspeeders. I must be getting REALLY old now...Maybe when my 8-yr old grandkid visits at Xmas, I'll get this picture...

Posted by: justinKM | October 31, 2006 7:35 AM

You really have to play it to get it. At first it makes no sense at all, but I defy you not to laugh as you watch the original trilogy played out in lego. Your little lego characters have to build little puzzles in order to solve the levels or gain bonuses. It's a very clever game and very addictive. There are literally hundreds of unlockable secrets, creating immense replay value! Wait until you unlock a secret hatch in the death star and discover a group of bathing-suit-and-helmet-clad stormtroopers lounging in a hot tub. You will laugh out loud!

Posted by: Jimbo | October 31, 2006 9:00 AM

My son and I enjoy the original Legos Star Wars which takes you through Episodes 1-3. We have played it for hours and there are still new things to discover each time we play. I am waiting until Christmas to get Legos Star Wars II but it is very hard to be patient. I can't wait until Christmas morning!

Posted by: Troy | October 31, 2006 10:47 AM

Right, you don't want to have to watch a G-rated film with a five year old, so you'd rather expose him to a PG film featuring all manners of death and destruction. Maybe you should leave the parenting decisions to the kid's parents.

Posted by: appalled | October 31, 2006 10:53 AM

Come down off of your high horse. It's not like he's showing the kid the Matrix. Heck, some fairy tales have more disturbing stuff than Star Wars.

Posted by: to 'appalled' | October 31, 2006 11:06 AM

You let your kids watch Cars?! Shock! Horror! Do you know how many people speeding cars kill each year?!?!

Get a grip

Posted by: to 'appalled' (2) | October 31, 2006 12:36 PM

Hey Appalled,

uhhh... the G-rated Pixar movie 'Toy Story' had death and destruction in it too. Remember all the toys that were disassembled and/or *blown up* by the creepy neighbor kid. Heck, Buzz Lightyear even had his arm ripped out of its socket. Even Star Wars, that glut of violence and filth, only *hinted* at limb amputation (by a wookie no less!?)

This is why I don't let my kids watch ANY movies...they might be exposed to brain damaging fantasy violence and grow up to live on the [shudder] east coast.

Posted by: mtt | October 31, 2006 1:21 PM