Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Shopping for Techies

Things have been relatively quiet in tech news this week -- hey, it's Thanksgiving week, what did you expect?

The biggest job on my plate this week is putting together the annual technology gift guide, which will appear in this Sunday's Post.

A self-described gadget geek, I'm always leery of gift guides that list specific products, so we've spent hours trying to frame advice that will help you know what to look for if you're going to buy an MP3 player, cell phone or video game for that special someone on your list.

All of which got me thinking about my own hoiliday list. I picked up the Treo 700p a few weeks ago and reallllly want a new SD card so I can store some music and photos. And just when you think I couldn't get any geekier, I'm also asking for a network storage enclosure so I can put all of the digital music and photos onto a home network drive that everyone can share. (Yeah, I know. You should have seen my wife's eyes glaze over when I mentioned this one.)

My wife is hoping for the practical tech gifts: some software to organize her recipes and some new earbuds that go over - not in - her ears but don't look like something out of the 1970s Hi-Fi days. My kids, 10 and 8, want what every kid is probably asking for: video games, iPods and a laptop computer of their own. (I certainly hope Santa picked up some overtime this year.)

How about you? What do you want in your technology stocking this year?

By Sam Diaz  |  November 21, 2006; 5:38 PM ET  | Category:  Sam Diaz
Previous: Hollywood Chiefs Take on New Role: Lobbyists | Next: Kramer Helps Seinfeld DVD Marketing. Not.

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"Our slogan is: you can talk when you need!Thare is no problem what we can not

solve."
game

Posted by: edisern | November 22, 2006 3:28 AM

Seems to me that it has actually been an exciting week in the tech world, sounds like you guys at the Post just copped out and started your Turkey Day celebration a few days early!

Among the highlights: the Treo 680 from Cingular launch on Friday, the Nintendo Wii launch, Microsoft's Linux dispute, and what about the "grey goo" worm attack?

In fact, before you claim there is no tech news next time, take a look at Google News for inspiration:

Posted by: lem | November 22, 2006 4:00 AM

Sam, instead of buying a nas, build one using freenas with a junker pc (it's super easy). It'll be cheaper, more powerful and more versatile than one of those $100-200 jobbies you buy. You can see full instructions in the hak5 video podcast from 9/5. Any legitimate tech journalist would do this.

Posted by: FreeNas | November 22, 2006 8:15 AM

I am just going for a SE W810i - Looks like a good deal with the business account discount I will get when I renew my contract with Cingular. Too bad I am not a new account candidate - I could have gotten it free over Amazon and gotten something else for Christmas.

Posted by: Sam | November 22, 2006 9:11 AM

I'm giving my friend a gift certificate from thinkgeek.com to let them choose their "toy de tech".

Posted by: Nina | November 22, 2006 9:22 AM

Do not bother subscribing to the Washington Post if you live in Lexington Park, MD.

I have not had a paper delivered for the last two weeks, the delivery subcontractor does not acknowledge or return phone calls, and neither does the Washington Post.

Don't waste your money paying for a product not delivered.

Posted by: Don't Bother | November 22, 2006 10:25 AM

I already picked up my tech toy for this holiday -- the HD DVD player for the Xbox 360. The first shipments of the HD DVD come with a free HD version of King Kong and remote control, so I had to convince my wife that it was better to buy now in order to get the $40 worth of free stuff.

She wants to pick up a satellite surround sound system for the TV, and my son is getting a PSP.

Posted by: Dan Green | November 22, 2006 10:43 AM

A pair of Sure E3c sound isolating ear buds, so I can listen to my music at a reasonable volume, and not have to drown out the metro train.

Posted by: Great Scott | November 22, 2006 11:32 AM

I was one of the lucky few to get a Wii on the launch day... but there are so few games available! I wish the developers would hurry up and release more before Christmas!

Posted by: Nick | November 22, 2006 12:07 PM

I want a 750GB ATA internal hard drive for my computer to consolidate all my stuff - & I just turned 64 y.o. - don't count us over-the-hill geeks out!

Posted by: Bill S. | November 22, 2006 12:13 PM

I am hoping Santa will drop off a new core 2 duo processor. The extreme version would be nice but I may have been a little to naughty to get this one.

Posted by: Jason | November 22, 2006 1:12 PM

A computer that is truly upgradeable; not just one with an OpenBay and all 4 IDE connections already used. with-out the original installation disks there is no way to take apart and reconnnect the IDEs.
Also PCs should come pre-set up with a decent security suite; not make the customer spend 200 to get one.

Posted by: DilbummedOut | November 22, 2006 1:42 PM

I want gift certificate to a CD ripping company like Riptopia. I have a massive CD collection that represents and equally massive investment. I want to back it up, but I am not spending the time to rip it myself.

Posted by: Washington, DC | November 22, 2006 1:48 PM

Sweep the exhausted water area advertisement, the wow takes the lead.
game

Posted by: edisern | November 24, 2006 4:48 AM

I have to agree with edisern; you guys kind of missed a few launches that would definitely qualify as 'news.' But I understand the attitude to kick back for the holidays.

As far as my geek list goes, I already bought one this weekend: Anapod Manager for my iPod. After a couple of moves in as many years, my music library was held hostage on my iPod and there was no easy way to get it onto my new lappie. For $25, Anapod Manager software made it easy. It was well worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who works on a PC but still loves their iPod.

My kids want the Wii; My hubby a new high-speed video card. Does anyone have recommendations for the video card? It must be able to handle hours of playing WoW.

Happy Holidays

Posted by: MamaCasz | November 27, 2006 10:10 AM

Hey Sam. I just got a TiVo. Can you come back to San Jose to help me set it up? Please.

Posted by: Dennis Rockstroh | November 28, 2006 8:56 PM

hey rockstroh... welcome to the tivo world. now you can make baseball games more exciting to watch --- on fast-forward.

Posted by: sam diaz | November 30, 2006 2:48 PM