Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Vista Launches Today

Frank Ahrens

Microsoft Inc. rolls out its much-anticipated, frequently delayed Vista operating system today.

The global hype is impressive, writes my colleague Alan Sipress. There's a laser display along the waterfront in Shanghai and a huge interactive laptop in Germany.

It's a big push for Microsoft, because desktop operating systems, like Vista, are facing increasing competition from Web-based applications.

For other Vista coverage, check out Computerworld's "Vista A to Z."

Here is CNet's complete guide to Vista.

And here's a Seattle Times Q-and-A with Bill Gates on what may be his last big launch as head of Microsoft.

By Frank Ahrens  |  January 30, 2007; 11:13 AM ET  | Category:  Frank Ahrens
Previous: War games at Walter Reed | Next: Mobilizing Google Calendar

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Why on earth would anyone buy Vista or the new accompanying Office? Vista isn't backward compatible with much/most of Microsoft's older software. It wont run run SQL 2000, for example. And, it's nothing more than a poorly done copy of Apple's OSX. As for the new, highly touted Office, you can get NeoOffice or OpenOffice for nothing from the Open Source project and it already has all of those highly touted new features (like opening and editing PDF format files, other file formats, etc.), and includes a database (and it's Access compatible). Furthermore, the Spreadsheet, database, word processor, and presentation software with this are all 100% compatible with everything Microsoft is doing. Only a complete idiot would buy Vista or the "new" Office.

Posted by: Mike Brooks | January 30, 2007 3:46 PM

Posted by: Mike Brooks | January 30, 2007 3:55 PM

I look forward to using Vista, when it comes preinstalled on my next computer. I am in no rush to replace my current computer though.

I am going to upgrade from Office XP/2002 to Office 2007 next month. (Office 2007 sounds like an excellent product.)

Like 95%+ of computer users, I have absolutely no interest in Mac/OSX.

Posted by: JohnJ | January 30, 2007 7:57 PM

Apple stands to benefit, big time. OS X is a better operating system (still). If you have to buy a new computer anyway, why not make it a Mac?

Posted by: Chris | January 30, 2007 10:07 PM

In all likelihood,Vista will be an excellant serieis of products!

Posted by: david a galler | January 31, 2007 11:27 AM

After reviewing Vista, I am glad I recently invested my money in an iMac versus another archaic PC. Vista is just a watered down version of Tiger, completely unimpressive, and not compatible with older software. I recommend skipping the PC drama and moving on to a more stable/productive/creative Mac environment, especially for small businesses where every dollar counts.

Posted by: jen martinez | January 31, 2007 11:36 AM

Since I took plunge, I have had to buy a new COX modem, internet no longer works. Permissions are so rough, I so far have not been able to chage my IPCONFIG files that prevent me from using the internet. I can get there buy have no permission even tough I am king of the PC. They still have a few bugs but the internet bug makes it impossible to get the fixes. they never though of that to make sure the internet was the one thing that would work.

Posted by: Jack | January 31, 2007 11:40 AM

It seams even in VISTA, donothing loops are not deleted.

Posted by: Debiprasad Ghosh | January 31, 2007 1:12 PM

I played with Vista release candidate 1, and even provided a partition for it (and one for Linux) when I reinstalled XP64 after finding Vista somewhat usable and mostly pretty. I am disappointed to see that the internet connectivity issues that forced me to abandon the OS were not just a function of my beta copy, and have not been fixed.

Posted by: notthe600 | February 2, 2007 10:37 AM