Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

FiOS To Launch Washington TV Channel

Frank Ahrens

Two years ago, Verizon began rolling out its fiber-optic service, or FiOS, in the Washington area and across the country.

Now, FiOS is launching some original programming.

FiOS combines consumers' telephone, television and high-speed Internet services in a "triple-play" competitive counter to cable and satellite television providers and phone companies.

On Friday, Verizon will launch FiOS1, a television channel devoted to "hyper-local" coverage of the Washington area, the company said. The 24/7 channel will include local news from WUSA-9 TV and a traffic and weather service.

Verizon will hire a "handful" of videographers to produce pieces about local events and items of interest.

Also in the offing: Northern Virginia high school and some local college sports, including games from Georgetown and George Mason. And the channel will carry some Major League Baseball games.

Now: Who will actually see FiOS1? The channel will be available in parts of suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia, but not yet in the District.

By Frank Ahrens  |  March 28, 2007; 6:00 AM ET  | Category:  Frank Ahrens
Previous: Bum Rush the Charts: More Numbers | Next: A Venture Capital Social Network

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I went to Verizon's site, but saw nothing about which channel number this will be on. Any hint?

Posted by: Herndon | March 28, 2007 9:41 AM

So when will we actually see FIOS offered in DC? Does anyone know what is causing the delay? When I look to the Verizon website, it shows coverage surrounding the city, but nothing in the city. I've used Verizon broadband for several years and experienced excellent customer service. Comcast - I could go on an on about hours on hold and overbilling, but as my mother used to say, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." Basically, I have nothing good to say. In any event, I just wish we had an option other than Comcast. Living in the city, DirectTV and the like are not an option for many of us. So again I ask, when is FIOS coming and why the delay?

Posted by: DC Resident | March 28, 2007 9:44 AM

I have FIOS now for telephone and internet, but FIOS TV is not competitively priced.

Posted by: bkp | March 28, 2007 9:53 AM

I liked this the first time, when it was called News Channel 8.

Posted by: DCer | March 28, 2007 11:53 AM

I couldn't wait to dump Comcast and get FIOS TV once it became available in my neighborhood. I now have the "triple play" with Verizon FIOS, telephone, Internet, and now TV. I couldn;t be happier with all services and their support. No more crappy reception, much better sound, etc. You DC'ers just need to ask your rep on the Council why they won't issue V a franchise.

Posted by: Pete from Arlington | March 28, 2007 12:11 PM

bkp, FiOS TV is very competitively priced... I get over 200 channels (not counting premium channels) for about $35 a month (because I have phone/tv/internet bundled). If you go to Comcast's website, it shows you that you get over 150 channels for $64 a month

Posted by: Bowie | March 28, 2007 1:12 PM

I have FiOS TV,Internet and Verizon Phone. Very happy with everything. The picture, sound and speed is amazing.

Posted by: CD From Maryland | March 28, 2007 1:56 PM

I want FiOS... Darn DC Council. Shouldn't the Post do a story on why DC won't allow us more options? More competition? What's Fenty's take on this? Who has been opposed to letting VZ enter the DC market with FiOS?

Posted by: Genna | March 28, 2007 2:54 PM

This is for CD in Maryland.
Where do you live? When I inquired about FIOS TV in Upper Marlboro, I was told it's not available and don't know when it will be. I also have phone/internet but for tv alone it will be $95 (3 tv's) including premium channels.

Basically I'll have more bang for the buck in the way of options, channels etc.. but the cost is still a little steep.

Posted by: Upper Marlboro | March 28, 2007 4:40 PM

*Y*A*W*N*

Given that it is Verizon, I can safely say the content will suck.

Posted by: Andrew | March 28, 2007 6:17 PM

Very jealous. I hope Verizon expands that concept to their other major markets. FiOS triple play is an excellent deal! Competition is good for the consumer; DC council should open the market to competition!

Posted by: larry | March 28, 2007 9:12 PM

My theory as to why FiOS is not yet available in DC deals with the snub that DC gave Verizon when they booted them out of their longstanding contract with the city. DC Office of the CTO (OCTO) then invoked an old law, took over the fiber right-of-way, and laid their own fiber (plenty of it dark for future expansion) for city government use. In other words, with the exception of residential telephone service, Verizon was out. It will undoubtedly take DC Council action to bring them back in, but I say if you are looking for short term competition with Comcast why not try RCN?

Posted by: HateComcast | March 28, 2007 10:14 PM

I agree with the Genna's post: I would like to see the Post do a story on why DC doesn't have FIOS. I've searched the net and can't seem to find a clear answer. As to the suggestion that those of us who are not happy with Comcast switch to RCN, RCN is not available in all parts of the city, nor in certain buildings. At this point, I would gladly pay more for any option other than Comcast! How about an article Washington Post editors?

Posted by: DC Resident | March 29, 2007 9:24 AM

I have sent the following inquiry to the Office of Cable Television of the District as well as the Mayor's office and my councilman's office. I will let you know what, if any, response I receive.

I agree that it would be worthwhile for the Post to run a story on this.

Having lived in the District of Columbia for nearly six years, I have
always lamented the lack of cable television competition in this city.
Given the urban nature of large parts of the city, satellite television is
not viable due to condominium rules and/or signal blockage from
neighboring buildings. Furthermore, RCN does not provide service in large
parts of the city. Comcast, is in effect, a monopoly with poor service
and exorbitant prices.

My instant inquiry is regarding Verizon FiOS (fiber to the premises that
provides television in addition to broadband internet and phone service)
and its absence in the District. I am dismayed that nearly all of the
suburban counties of the District have FiOS service and there is not the
most faint hint of when it will arrive in the District.

A city like Washington should be at the forefront of the adoption of such
technologies rather than a laggard as is the case. I would appreciate any
information you have on the District's plans to offer a franchise license
to Verizon so that the company may provide television service in
Washington and as to the company's plans to roll out FiOS in the District.

Posted by: Arturo | March 30, 2007 7:28 PM