Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

South Park: Now in High Def

Mike Musgrove

Ok, I like "South Park," and I like downloading shows and movies on the ol' Xbox 360. But I gotta say I'm a little confused by a promotional e-mail I just got from Microsoft.

A high definition version of the South Park episode "Good Times With Weapons" is now available as a free download to Microsoft's game console via "Xbox Live Marketplace." It's available until March 20 and part of some promotion from Best Buy.

Yes, I know this particular episode contains some anime-style action, if only because I just Googled it up. But come on now -- it's a cartoon. What could you possibly see that you didn't see before, in a "high def" version of a South Park episode?

By Mike Musgrove  |  March 9, 2007; 12:12 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Play Fetch or PlayStation? | Next: Giveaway mp3 Players

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I disagree. Even though it is a cartoon the HD version will still present a cleaner, sharper image on certain tv's. I know that on my widescreen HD tv most normal resolution sources do not look very good. They may have looked fine on a regular tv, but they are very grainy on my widescreen. I have downloaded the HD and non HD trailers for Halo 3 as well, and noticed a significant difference in the image quality.

Just my 2 cents

Posted by: infectednite | March 9, 2007 2:28 PM

If you have to ask...

...you'll never know. ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 9, 2007 3:28 PM

Those of us with plasma HDTVs have to stretch the 4:3 image for standard broadcasts to avoid burn-in. If it's in HD, we'll be able to avoid making Cartman look like a little fat kid to save our TVs.

Posted by: Jeff | March 9, 2007 3:57 PM

For one, you can see Eric Cartman's tiny penis which is much harder to identify as such in standard definition.

Posted by: Williestyle | March 9, 2007 3:59 PM

Are you kidding me... It was so clear, colorful and bright that my eyes started to hurt. HD makes a huge difference. In the sharpness, colors, brightness... This episode in HD was amazing and I cannot wait for more free hd content.

Posted by: Harmin | March 12, 2007 5:32 AM

I watched it, and I have to say it was amazing. I could read all the text in the background, everything was sharp and beautiful. Comedy Central is about the only channel I still watch on analog cable (Comcast doesn't carry a digital version), and that feed looks horrible on a HDTV. The HD South Park only showed even more how much better it COULD look.

Posted by: Adam | March 12, 2007 8:24 AM

Ok, ok -- I downloaded & watched it last night and it did look great. Thanks for the warning about the full frontal Cartman. I don't have enough hard drive space left on the 360 for much HD content, though, wish I did.

Posted by: Musgrove | March 12, 2007 10:45 AM

OBVIOUSLY, you don't have an HDTV. I have a 60 inch 1080p and standard TV is painful to watch. I can't wait until I buy an xbox 360 and can watch South Park in HD.

Posted by: MikeMacMan | March 28, 2007 6:30 PM