Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Mitt Romney Stumps in Local Tech Circle

Kim Hart

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney told Northern Virginia technology executives this morning that government should be more like the private sector: more analytical, debate-intensive and data-driven.

At least, that's how he said he'd approach the top job at the White House. He said he'd use the same approach he used at Bain Capital, the Boston venture capital firm he founded in 1984, which made a fortune after investing in companies such as Staples, Dominoes Pizza, Brookstone and DoubleClick, the Internet advertising firm that Google plans to snatch up for $3.1 billion.

"I want to surround myself with argumentative, bright people who aren't afraid to tell me their opinions," he said to a crowd of about 400 local business people, including top executives at Sprint Nextel, AOL, Unisys, Lee Technologies and GTSI, at the breakfast sponsored by the Northern Virginia Technology Council.

Romney, who leads his Republican opponents in fundraising, talked about the need to reign in government regulations in order to protect the interests of private businesses. Sarbanes-Oxley regulations, which require close monitoring of public companies' accounting, is one example he pointed out as the "government weight" companies carry on their shoulders.

He also stressed the importance of nurturing technology in order to stay competitive against formidable Asian economies. Spending more on research and development, making it easier for foreign engineers and scientists to work here and allocating federal dollars to develop energy efficient technology appeared to be priorities during his hour-long speech.

"We need all the brainpower we can muster," he said. "We need to stop illegal immigration and provide special support for the educated, skilled people we desperately need."

By Kim Hart  |  April 18, 2007; 12:36 PM ET  | Category:  Kim Hart
Previous: Counter-Strike & Va. Tech | Next: Online World Grieves for Va. Tech

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I am particulary impressed with his Romney's campaign innovations such as the creation of "Students for Mitt" and the work he is doing on youtube to increase voter awareness. Time and time againg, he has demonstrated his ability to think out of the box, bring to together brilliant minds, and make impactful decisions. America needs Mitt Romney in the White House during these trying times.

Posted by: Aaron | April 18, 2007 1:30 PM

I am particulary impressed with Romney's campaign innovations such as the creation of "Students for Mitt" and the work he is doing on youtube to increase voter awareness. Time and time again, he has demonstrated his ability to think out of the box, bring together brilliant minds, and make impactful decisions. America needs Mitt Romney in the White House during these trying times.

Posted by: Aaron | April 18, 2007 1:32 PM

I am currently reading "An American Life", Ronald Reagan's autobiography. Mitt Romney's ideas appear to be a "reincarnation" of Reagan's very successful common sense approach to government.
I support Mitt Romney all the way to the White House. I strongly believe the neglected American people need his leadership and our Country needs to return to America The Beautiful in every way possible.

Posted by: Linda Archer | April 18, 2007 3:24 PM

Mr. Romney's feelings about Sarbanes-Oxley as being a government imposed weight on corporations are just what is wrong with the Republicans. Because corporate America decided to play games with stock options and basically screw the little guys (you and me), the government comes in and slaps their hand which is still in the cookie jar.

Corporate America gets what it deserves when they try to take advantage of everybody.

Sure, Mr. Romney, let's have Corporate America run everything. GWB has proven that Corp America doesn't care about people, only profits for the rich.

Posted by: blasher | April 18, 2007 4:36 PM

Who do you work for, Blasher? His interest is not loose cannon Corporate crooks! He's talking about red tape, for little and large Corp's. He's talking about you yourself,creating your own business. He would do anything to yank down corruption.

Posted by: Jim | April 18, 2007 7:00 PM

I'm very impressed with Romney, not only does he get my vote, but I'm donating to his campaign. We need his type of leadership more than ever. Look what he did for the Olympics and failing companies. He makes money the old fashioned way, ingenuity and hardwork. No scandels in his business ventures...

Posted by: Less Government | April 18, 2007 7:22 PM

I dont understand the title of the article?
Stumps?
Are we just following the lead of anti Mitt Media to our advantage? Make a bogus title to get readers to the article?

Posted by: sean | April 19, 2007 2:11 PM