Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Farewell Yahoo Photos

Yahoo has announced that it will be closing its Yahoo Photo service, opting to devote its resources to the Web 2.0-ish photo-sharing site Flickr instead, which the company acquired two years ago.

From a business perspective, the numbers make sense - Yahoo Photos has seen a steady decline in usage while Flickr has grown its share over the past year. Likewise, Yahoo had been offering unlimited photo uploads and storage while Flickr sells the unlimited package in the form of a premium membership for $24.95 a year. (There is a free version of Flickr but it has limitations.)

Yahoo Photos is more of a traditional site where families share photos and visitors can download and print photos. Flickr is more of a social site where amateurs showcase their photography for a larger Web audience that largely just look at pics online and don't print.

Yahoo is expected to offer its users a one-click option of transferring their photos to Flickr or competing sites, such as the popular PhotoBucket site. It will also offer options to transfer photos to other traditional store-and-print sites such as Shutterfly and Snapfish.

By Sam Diaz  |  May 4, 2007; 10:05 AM ET  | Category:  Sam Diaz
Previous: Chatting Less; Texting More | Next: Xbox, Lunchbox Redux

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

What happens to all the photos on Yahoo Photos? Do they get transfered over to a new Flickr account?

Posted by: Darkzero63 | May 4, 2007 12:31 PM

Yes. read the last paragraph.

Posted by: geek | May 4, 2007 12:59 PM

I never knew Flickr existed.

Posted by: Bill Madden | May 4, 2007 9:34 PM

Do they offer option to transfer to Picasa Web by Google?

Posted by: Picasa Web | May 4, 2007 10:28 PM

photobucket / snapfish, ftw.

Posted by: me | May 5, 2007 10:55 AM

Other stories that I have read on this, neglected to mention that there is a profit motive targetting migrating clients. I have friends who have been storing on Yahoo Photos for years. This will come as a rude shock. I chose Yahoo Photos precisely because it readily allowed me to share photos with less than a dozen family members and friends. It seems unlikely that Yahoo decision makers could be bereft of all judgment and to assume that EVERYBODY wants to make their photos public. So, it appears Yahoo has given the shaft to a sizeable part of its client base. As a company that has failed to perform up to expectations this does nothing to enhance credibility. I no longer feel quite as secure with any of its services, Yahoo Mail Beta, Yahoo Messenger with Voice, Briefcase, and Yahoo 360 all of which are respectively my principal services. I'll be watching closely and the next time some Yahoo corporate bright light sees a bird flying and wanders off in pursuit, I'll be right behind on my way to a wholesale change in principal service providers.

Posted by: HOgruk | May 5, 2007 12:11 PM

Switch to PhotoBucket, tha tis what I am advising my wife, I have used it fr a year now and I think it is great.

Posted by: R. Miley | May 5, 2007 12:26 PM

Yahoo! Photos is great, by far the best for uploading,viewing and downloading hi res images. Great user interface and ease of use. This decision is a great letdown and I would hope other users will express a similar opinion. Yahoo! PLEASE reconsider.

Posted by: bhbrit | May 5, 2007 12:42 PM

www.shutterfly.com
Great site - free to use, easy to share, unlimited storage. Image editing, special projects & products. Great service. Ordered prints are great and arrive fast! (No, I don't work for the company)

Posted by: ShirleyG | May 5, 2007 1:53 PM

Yahoo! PLEASE reconsider.

Posted by: The Computer Guy | May 5, 2007 3:47 PM

That's sad. It's the only service I still use from Yahoo!.

Posted by: Aimee | May 5, 2007 4:13 PM

i think this is good because people put dirty things on yahoo photos ok so i think you should do it!♥

Posted by: alex king | May 5, 2007 4:33 PM

I said good-bye to Yahoo years ago! This has to be the worst site on the web! They change things just to piss of their customers!

Posted by: John | May 6, 2007 6:01 PM

This is sad news for me. I've been using Yahoo Photos for over 6 years and have hundreds and hundreds of photos there over about 65 albums.

I don't want a "Community" experience like Flickr. I don't want people all over the world looking at my photos. I just want a nice simple online place to store photos organized in albums. And I want a simple and clean URL I can just give to people to look at with having to send any dopey "view my album" emails.

I've looked at all the other services that Yahoo will transfer my pix too, but none of them suit my needs as Yahoo does. In fact the only service that seems perfect in every way for my wants is Picasaweb - which naturally is not one Yahoo will transfer my pictures too.

Well I have months to do, so I'm painstakingly going into each album and downloading the pix back to my hard drive, preserving the Yahoo album structure. But once I do that at least it only takes 2-3 clicks to upload them all via Picasa to their new home. I should finish by the fall I hope. :-)

Posted by: Deb | May 29, 2007 7:35 PM