Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Bye-Bye, Landlines

Kim Hart

Mobile phones are replacing landlines faster than ever these days, and T-Mobile is tapping into the trend.

Today, the company launched its HotSpot@Home service, which lets people use their mobile phones over a wireless Internet connection at home without using any of their minutes. T-Mobile developed a technology that hands off the calls between its wireless GSM network and an in-home Wi-Fi router. When outside the house, the phone acts like a normal cellphone.

Besides offering one more reason to ditch a landline in favor of a cellphone, the new service is also an effort to retain customers. Joe Sims, T-Mobile's vice president of new business, told me in an interview that poor coverage in the house is the number one reason customers leave the carrier. And one-third of all calls on the network originate in the house.

But since this service allows customers to make calls without being charged for using minutes, would it cannibalize T-Mobile's traditional business model?

Sims said no. In an eight-month pilot project in Seattle, "customers used just as many of their minutes as they used to--they're just talking at home more," he said. "The overall usage goes up pretty significantly."

To use the service, you must have broadband Internet in your home. T-Mobile will provide a wireless router if you don't already have one. You'll have to buy one of two handsets that allow you to use the service ($50 each), as well as an add-on to the service plan ($9.99 a month for a single line and $19.99 for a family plan).

Recent research suggests landlines are on the way out, especially in the younger demographic (T-Mobile's traget customers). According to a poll released yesterday by Harris Interactive and Ingenio Inc., 89 percent of young adults (age 18-24) own a mobile phone, while only 57 percent own a landline. Fifty-two percent own both.

And a study conducted by Telephia, a market-research firm, showed the nearly half the people who moved in the fourth quarter of 2006 dropped their landline service. A Gartner survey shows that 10 percent of all wireless customers use their mobile phone as their only phone. For 18-24 year-olds, that number rises to 30 percent.

By Kim Hart  |  June 27, 2007; 11:32 AM ET  | Category:  Kim Hart
Previous: Sports Leagues Lobby on the Hill | Next: How Do You Use Your Phone?

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Recent research suggests landlines are on the way out, especially in the younger demographic (T-Mobile's traget customers). <- Target customers?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2007 3:58 PM

Cincinnati Bell already does this. It is called UMA technology and have been doign thios for a month now.

Posted by: John Jones | June 27, 2007 4:00 PM

I haven't had a landline...um...ever? Why would I want a phone that rings where I'm not, and pay for it?

That doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2007 4:03 PM

I too had no landline for over 5 years (1998-2004)... of course I also didn't have a house with a monitored alarm system as I do now. That is one reason I think I wouldn't be able to do this... I'd be curious how T-Mobile (or any other cell provider considering this very interesting model) would address that issue as well as the peverbial 911 call issues.

Posted by: ebubbaaz | June 27, 2007 4:10 PM

I've heard of the ditching of landlines, and even know of some people (family included) who have done so. I am hesitant to do it though. Remember the NY blackout a few years ago and the longlines at the payphones when the cell phone towers went out with the power. And I don't care how much the cell companies tell you that they have a system in place to prevent that happening again, until it does happen and their network stays up, I won't believe it. Landlines, however, are time tested and proven that it takes a lot to bring them down.

Posted by: JT | June 27, 2007 4:16 PM

Landlines are not leaving us, it is just coverting from a dialtone service to a data service. How many people out there removed there dial tone but kept DSL or data access? this artical proves also that the cell companies are using copper lines via the internet, which is provided by landlines or copper lines.

Posted by: Fatty | June 27, 2007 4:24 PM

Losing the power to the cell towers is just one problem. Where I live we lost power for a week and had no where to charge the cell phones. Our trusty, old fashioned, landline still worked though. I lose power all the time, I have dropped cell calls often too, I've never lost my landline connection.

Posted by: Scott | June 27, 2007 4:25 PM

($9.99 a month for a single line and $19.99 for a family plan).
19.99 covers the landline cost in most cases, and its always nice to have a house phone, when you want it,

Posted by: MFRankel | June 27, 2007 4:26 PM

I have never had a cell phone, nor would I ever want one. You can call me on my landline. If I'm not there, leave a message. I feel bad for people who NEED to have a phone on them at all times of the day. Soon we will find out that cell phones cause cancer. So keep on chatting on your cell phone and causing car accidents because you constantly need to be talking to someone on the phone.

Posted by: Fack You | June 27, 2007 4:28 PM

To the person who has been hanging onto their landline because their alarm / security system needs it...

Almost all of the major security companies now have a cellular unit that can be added to your existing alarm system, thus negating the need for your landline, and at the same time, making the system more reliable in that a burglar cannot "cut the line" before breaking in. If you want a secondary medium, most companies also offer a VOIP-based add-on that will be able to make the phone-call over your existing Internet connection. You really can say g'bye to the landline, unless you need to be able to send and/or receive full color faxes at high speed.

Posted by: Jessica McKinnon | June 27, 2007 4:46 PM

this is all so grand, but... I have a Earthlink DSL line on my Bellsouth landline. I could use the Comcast cable. I'm not sure which is the lesser of both evils.

Posted by: mh | June 27, 2007 4:47 PM

Landlines are gone. While carrying a cellphone requires you to manage more information, it's becoming a necessity in todays world. The people who do not want to adapt, will have to. When you carry a cellular phone you learn to manage it. Those who let it take over their lives loose, those who don't own one loose as well. It's a balance.

Posted by: Landlines are dead | June 27, 2007 4:47 PM

Radiation from cellphones (and from other wireless applications) have been shown in tests to affect the human organism negatively. I would therefore cut down use of cellphones to an absolute minimum instead of disposing of landlines.

Posted by: ddd | June 27, 2007 4:50 PM

Fack, your an idiot. You probably still use your 14.4k Baud Modem to connect to the internet and think that big brother is listening in on your calls too, don't you! oh and cancer!? come on!! There is one thing that you happened to leave out and that is the amount of lives cell phone's and wireless technologies have saved because they are... umm... oh yeah wireless and you can take them anywhere that you have a signal (which is most places now). The fact is, is that dedicated copper landlines are an extinct technology and we are seeing them disapear rapidly. with superior technologies like high speed wireless and fiber optics. copper is just not fast enough these days to carry the load of the information highway. These wireless to landline ratios will increase. SELL YOUR COPPER STOCK!

Posted by: Tim | June 27, 2007 4:51 PM

Studies have shown that the consumption of food increases the chances of choking and Dieing so we should all stop doing that too!

Posted by: Tim | June 27, 2007 4:55 PM

Studies have also shown that consuming food increases the chances of choking and dieing so maybe you should stop eating... you don't want to choke do you? :~)

Posted by: Tim | June 27, 2007 4:57 PM

To say that Cell phones cause cancer is just wrong. There have been no conclusive tests to show that long term use of the Cell phone causes cancer, and with most night an weekend packages that start at 6 or 7 pm why pay $20 more per month. If you are setting at home all day and talking on your Cell phone GET A JOB!!!

Posted by: you are all CRAZY | June 27, 2007 5:00 PM

When will cell phones use solar powered towers?

Posted by: Rajiv | June 27, 2007 5:10 PM

When will cell phones use solar powered towers?

Posted by: Rajiv | June 27, 2007 05:10 PM

These towers require alot of power and reliablity the two things solar power does not have in it's favor.

Posted by: Uhhhhh | June 27, 2007 5:22 PM

All I know is Wi-Fi gives me a headache. I turn it on and 15 seconds later hello headache and I can't concentrate on anything other than the pain, Turn it off & 4 seconds later goodbye headache and I can daydream again. Now don't get me wrong I love the technology. But we really all need to take a step back and look at what all this wireless technology is doing to people especially in the work place (since at work I'm popping aspirins like they are miracle drugs).

Also I'm not saying all Cell phones do this but I had two models that would give my girlfriend and I headaches every time we talked on them for more than 2 minutes. So I know I am not the only one experiencing this.

Pleas people if you are experiencing symptoms like me you really need to start talking to people about it.

Posted by: Aspirin popper | June 27, 2007 5:56 PM

Tim, you too are an idiot. Copper and copper containing alloys have skyrocked in cost over the last 20 months and it shows no sign of slowing. I too do not have a cell. I am hooked to an 800 number 8 hours each day. If you don't have the facilities to reach me then, I don't need to talk to you.

Posted by: jeff | June 27, 2007 6:03 PM

John Jones: hey i had a cincinnati bell wireless phone for several years. then i moved to pleasant ridge, a suburb not more than five miles from downtown, and my cb wireless phone would not work! i called and they told me it was because i had a hillside behind my building! what!! i was in the heart of cincinnati and the phone would not work. i went to verizon and guess what? it worked. they should offer a "no excuse plan".

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2007 6:03 PM

Yes, I have had the same problems with it. I wonder why noone in the media is talking about it.

Posted by: Also headaches | June 27, 2007 6:04 PM

Cell phones suck, but they come in handy. Landlines are cool too. T-mobile make that money baby!

Posted by: polite mike | June 27, 2007 6:13 PM

In reviewing the pro/anti landline positions, it appears that the landlines have at least one key advantage to which the cellphone advocates cannot persuasively respond - landlines are and probably will always be more reliable. That is because landlines have their own power source and are not affected by power failures, which apparently will for one reason or another always be with us. Having a high speed or VOIP will not insulate a user from that vulnerability: if there's no power, the computers themselves won't work. And even if the cell networks did retain power in an emergency - which is highly unlikely - the phones themselves could not be recharged.

In addition to that factor, landlines have some secondary advantages that argue for their retention:

1. Cellphones are small, fragile objects that are easily lost, stolen, misplaced or broken. I wouldn't want to depend solely on such a tenuous means of communication.
2. No matter what the cellphone companies say, there will always be spots of very poor or no service, particularly in rural areas, where a landline is a necessity.
3. The quality of communication is and will always be better on landlines. Digital cellphones lose connections during moments of silence, giving conversations a sketchy, intermittant quality. No so with landlines, where you can better hear and interpret the respondent's tone and mood - and there are no dropped calls.
4. On the health issue the verdict is still out. Some studies find no hazard; others suggest latent dangers that will take years to manifest. People will have to access the risks for themselves.
5. And finally, if people depend solely on cellphones, it will result in an even a higher amount of needless public blathering - I assume you all know what I mean.
My verdict: cellphones are great for convenience, safety and fun. But don't drop the landlines, at least for the intermediate future.

Posted by: Gordon | June 27, 2007 6:39 PM

They all come handy. We at home of 3 have a landline for our DSL. Plus 2 Wireless Carriers. They have each their Cingular lines which I dislike (CING). And me 2 Tmo lines, one business and one personal. Best service ever. I've been a Tmo customer for over 6 and a half years and not planning to move out of it. I had service with GTE now Verizon for over 6 years off and on and terrible experience. Then moved to Cing. same crappy crap. Then I discover Tmobile back in 2001 when my ex moved to Italy and enable me to text her without recurring charges in 2002. Now She's gone but still happy with my Tmo

Posted by: R3N364D3 | June 27, 2007 6:54 PM

My question to Tmobile is: When are guys gonna let me play EVE-ONLINE on my sidekick UH? Ask sharp to boost their GPU and You Tmobile Upgrade your wireless lines to real broadbanding

Posted by: R3N364D3 | June 27, 2007 6:58 PM

Power failure is likely to become more common, not less, and that is the Achilles heal of both VOIP and cell phones. Cell phones work great until you really, really need a phone, then they flake out. Murphy's law is here to stay, so are landlines.

Posted by: plazaO4433 | June 27, 2007 7:31 PM

Typos are one thing, but ...

"peverbial"

"artical"

"alot"

"intermittant" ...

You all need to hang up the phone and figure out how to SPELL again.

PEVERBIAL???

Posted by: Lori | June 27, 2007 7:54 PM

Ok, first of all, the fact that you should have to pay anything for a mobile phone that works in your own house is ludicrous. I have dealt with 7 years of poor service in every apartment and house I have lived in and the way I see it, T-Mobile owes me at least 3-5 years of this service for free for the 5 years I have put up with their excuses about why my phone didn't work in my house from wiring to my house being between two towers. Also, many people are getting cable/internet/phone in one package so by the time you lose the discount for having all 3, you won't really be saving any money anyway by getting rid of your landline especially as you will be using more minutes.

Posted by: WillStylz1974 | June 27, 2007 7:55 PM

Where is WiMax wireless internet? I have to keep a land line for DSL service, otherwise I would ditch the land line and get a cell phone in an instant. I don't need both or want to pay for both.

Posted by: T. Monroe | June 27, 2007 8:14 PM

Tim, your [sic] the idiot here. Most people (adults) choose how they want to be contacted based on need, not marketing. For many people, ubiquitous communication is unnecessary. For others it is essential. Many, like myself, dislike the business model of wireless companies with their forced contracts, intentionally confusing rate structures, and marketing strategies targeting the insecurities, and general lack of business acumen, of juveniles such as yourself. (Sell copper? Case in point.)

Posted by: Grow up | June 27, 2007 8:16 PM

I'll switch to a Cell phone, when they start to approach the sound quality of a land line. I like being able to talk to someone without it cutting out and garbling the sound. I also like the freedom of not being hooked up 24 hours a day.

Posted by: TH | June 27, 2007 8:36 PM

In former BellSouth territory, now the new at&t, it is not possible to have a really stable Internet connection without also paying at&t for a "land line." They are bundled. The DSL is very stable. The other alternative is cable modem, which is much inferior, at least in the deep South. Unfortunately, the old Ma Bell Monopoly is alive and well in Estados Unidos.

Posted by: Internetlarry | June 27, 2007 9:03 PM

Cell phones suck because of the noise and intermittent sound quality. I've tried AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile -- they all have that issue. Cell phones are fine for short duration calls, but I'll never get rid of my clear, static-free landline. Cell phones are just radios, so they'll never be as good.

Posted by: Charles Everwood | June 27, 2007 10:10 PM

Laurie(sic)(means Lori) uwar(sic) oughtohpeek(sic) tpohst(sic) uhbowpt(sic) cpehling(sic) iz(sic) tpathowlawjeekal(sic). Ghou(sic) tdoo(sic) aye(sic) tspel(sic) czech(sic) awn(sic) mie(sic) sel(sic) fone? You know in cyrilic you can't misssssspail(sic), seens(sic) eets(sic) fauxnettique(sic). See a shrink. This is the web if you understand the words and their meaning, shut up and listen. When you are mature enough to comment do so. Yes, you have been flamed.

Posted by: maskeddemon | June 27, 2007 10:28 PM

I personally do not ever want a cell phone! Why in the world people are so addicted to talking incessantly, I'll never know. Ya Know, Whatever!!!! blah blah don't some people ever shut up?

Yes, and cell phones DO cause brain tumors!!! We'll be seeing the increase soon now as most people enter into their 10th year of cell phone use. And it may be sooner now since some people talk for hours a day on them!

Posted by: "old Lady" | June 27, 2007 10:31 PM

Depending on cell phones that can potentially microwave your brain stem causing cancer tumors and deserting established land lines at this time before all the health hazards are recognized and noted will be a tragic mistake, combining
satellite, Microwave and groundlines (Fiber optics) togeather may be the only workable solution, Type in "Cell Phone and tower dangers" w/Google and you will be more than frightened ,Can you imagine how many health lawsuits will be generated as the 5-10 year user tumors spring up in the brain stem (the most inoperable brain area) Well maybe the future is rosy and this doesn't matter as we are already being exposed to wind borne radioactivity
from Depleated Uranium (DU)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2007 10:53 PM

WHAT ABOUT THE BEES ?

if cell phones are indeed responsible for the demise of the bees, chat away folks - soon you will have nothing to eat but by god you can still chat

Posted by: ethan | June 27, 2007 11:21 PM

I read of some Russian college students who cooked a raw egg using two cellphones. RF energy will damage cells in your brain.
Watch for illness in people living near the towers.
Americans are easily tracked and monitored, via these "phones".

Posted by: TDog | June 28, 2007 12:22 AM

You'll still NEED either a telephone line or CATV connection to your house providing the high-speed data service. This is NOT the end of the land-line, that probably will never happen as more and more data are transmitted and consumers demand faster and faster speeds.

Posted by: David | June 28, 2007 1:09 AM

everybody's lifestyle is different from one another. Cell phone usage is according to each person's lifestyle; not everyone yap constantly on the phone every minutes. Cellphone is like landline except for the technical differences; but the functionality of both are the same. If you don't like to receive incoming calls every minute, then let those calls kick into Inbox and check them at your convenient time. In this darn age, it is harder to find a landline anywhere. I use my cellphone to talk with my family, relatives, and friends at least twice a day like I would with a landline phone. The price and minutes that I use are in fact cheaper than having a landline (with local and long distance) because I don't use the phone much; however, cellphone does have its advantage when I need to use it for urgent or emergency cases. For those who criticize others for using the cellphone, do be aware that everyone's life style is different for yours.

Posted by: zeniboy | June 28, 2007 1:27 AM

Tim:"...Fack, your an idiot. You probably still use your 14.4k Baud Modem to connect to the internet and think that big brother is listening in on your calls too, don't you! oh and cancer!? come on!!..."

1. 14.4 k Baud modem? The baud rate on a 14.4 kbps modem is 2400 baud with 6 bit per signal transition. Most modems except 56kbps units have a baud rate of 2400, 3000 or 3200 baud. I think the last modems that had the baud rate the same as the bps (bit) rate was in the very early days of modems. A 300 bps modem for instance, does have a baud rate of 300 baud (1 bit sent per signal transition). Newer modems transmit more than one bit per signal transition (baud) hence the "noise" when you pick up the receiver (like a chord on a piano).

So before you put down others perhaps you should do some research and get your terminology correct. Likewise, you should investigate you're other assertions as they are incorrect also.

2. Cell phone security. First as there was a breakthrough on solving prime numbers most modern telecommunications encryption methods (not to mention military, banking..) have now been compromised. None-the-less, prior to this, it is well know that most analog and newer digital cell phone transmissions were intercepted and recorded. One of the many reasons is to obtain credit card and other private information for the purpose of identity theft. There are also more exotic methods to hack into cell phones...the phone directory for instance. This is all really basic security 101 stuff.

3. The NSA and other governmental agencies do have the ability to covertly access the cell phone (microphone, camera and so forth) without the phone appearing to be in use. It's no different than a company such as Google which is working to access the microphones and webcams of home users for the purpose of collecting and selling information to various corporations (an extension of "spyware" and "cookies").

4. The ability to triangulate or use GPS technology in a cell phone is well known. Some cell providers do offer the GPS service so you can keep track of (example) your children's location. Obviously, just as there are NSA backdoors in popular OS such as Windows it seems quite obvious that there would be back doors built into cell phones as well. Again this is "security 101" stuff.

5. The health issues of cell phones are obviously being suppressed in the name of profit but they are still available. My concern is in regards to the emissions. I see it as an issue similar to "second hand smoke". If you want to smoke that's fine -- but I don't want to breathe it. Likewise, if you do not care about your personal health or personal privacy that is your choice-- but I have an issue when that technology effects the personal health of both myself and my loved ones.

EW

Posted by: EW | June 28, 2007 8:38 AM

It is amazing to me that so many of the people posting comments show a total lack of research and a total confidence in what is printed. Cell phones have been tested in every manner whatsoever without once producing hard evidence that the radio waves emitted from these devices actually have caused physical harm to their users. And to the folks claiming that WiFi causes them to suffer headaches - life must be tough without microwave ovens! Same frequency! As for Verizon...try venturing off the freeways and look for your "network". They are afraid of urban traffic!

Posted by: Yumajohn | June 28, 2007 9:45 AM

I live without phone and microwave. Life is just fine, let me tell you. The cell phone is just a tool to give people excuses to break their promises and agreements. It gives new life and meaning to "phoney".

Posted by: grump | June 28, 2007 10:16 AM

Cell phones caused tumors? SO that explains those two extra heads growing on my head. I will stop using cells from now on, and next time I find myself stranded in the desert I will pull my serape and use smoke signals to reach 911. I just wonder if they'll be able to decipher my signals or they'll have to get a translator?

Posted by: R3N364D3 | June 28, 2007 10:26 AM

I can be completely without a telephone and live happily ever after.

Posted by: Eric-Gunther...Oberhauser | June 28, 2007 11:03 AM

Interestingly enough, Forrester recently issued a report by Sally Cohen titled "Why Dial-Up Just Won't Die: Broadband Have-Nots Don't Understand High-Speed." Might be an interesting parallel read to the other research cited!

Posted by: Heath Row | June 28, 2007 12:37 PM

The Federal limit on radiated power leakage at the seal around the door of a microwave oven is 1/2 a Watt, not at where your standing waiting for your danish...AT THE SEAL... (there's a good reason for that limit). The radiated power from a cell phone (up agianst your head) is 3 to 5 Watts. This is not good, and no Virginia, those cheesy "as seen on TV Antenna Shields" don't work...

Posted by: William | June 28, 2007 1:05 PM

Yumajohn
It is amazing to me that you trust the reports you read rather than listening to an individual's life experiences.

My advice to you all..

Microwave ovens are shielded for a reason and nobody should ever put there head up to one.

WI-Fi I believe is probably safe in moderation. When I say moderation I mean a few minutes a day not hours a day in the same location with you in-between the signals. Personally speaking I only use it when I go on my laptop and want to surf on my balcony. Aside from that I prefer to use Bluetooth around the house and unplug the Wi-Fi Transmitter

Cell phones I believe are safe too if you don't talk on them longer than 2 minutes per call and you constantly change the location they are on your body.

In the end you do what you want I really don't give a crap. But id prefer that all businesses replace Wi-fi with Bluetooth since its transmissions don't seem to have any affect on me. But who knows maybe its because of my specific model of Bluetooth adapter.

Posted by: Aspirin popper | June 28, 2007 5:23 PM

> See a shrink. This is the web if you
> understand the words and their meaning,
> shut up and listen. When you are mature
> enough to comment do so. Yes, you have
> been flamed.

Stop making excuses for web users being uneducated, lazy fools. Flame me if you want, but not calling out people who can't take the time to spell correctly is a symptom of a lazy society.

Posted by: Lori | June 28, 2007 7:42 PM

[maskeddemon] "This is the web if you understand the words and their meaning, shut up and listen."

Insightful, and mature.

[maskeddemon] "When you are mature enough to comment do so. Yes, you have been flamed."

Ironic.

Spelling is a litmus test. If you can't be bothered to spell correctly, why should we take you seriously? Don't expect apology. Expect to get flamed, or at the least, ignored.

Posted by: Grow up. | June 28, 2007 11:46 PM

I've tried to cancel my landline in Atlanta. But Bell South tells me I have to have it to keep my dsl. I've thought of getting a cable modem, but Comcast requires you get some tv to go with it; and I don't watch tv--ever! Wireless broadband is still about $90. So, Bell South still holds a monopoly over what ever comes in over the twisted pair they own, and the make me buy their stupid phone service, which leaves me paying for phone, dsl AND a cell phone. It ought to be against the law.

Posted by: Cabbage Townie | June 29, 2007 6:07 AM

Landlines are still the safest, most reliable way to go in emergencies. AND believe it or not, the old fashioned DIAL phone is best! During hurricanes, when electricity is cut off your cordless phone won't work. You need that phone cord to the phone, and the cord from the phone to the receiver! Rest my case!

Posted by: French-fry | June 29, 2007 8:22 AM

i have a landline & DSL for broadband 'Net access. but i use a Tracfone pay as you go mobile phone because i only use the phone as i need it... going to visit elder friends & relatives, i give them a quick call 5-7 minutes before i arrive to let them know i'm almost there & they can open the door w/ less fear & also gives those w/ ambulatory issues time to to get to the door & open it.

both have their place on my life. when the power has gone out @ my home the wireless phones on my landline didn't work, which is why i still have 1 hard-wired phone on my landline. just to cover my a** & my bases i use all the technology i can, as appropriate for my needs. also many of the lines currently used in my part of the world are fiber-optic so as to facilitate & accelerate voice & data transmission.

Posted by: dk jones | June 29, 2007 9:01 AM

To Cabbage Townie.

Just tell Comcast that you are going to get satellite TV installed so you don't need Cable and they will hook it up for you (it's the law). The best thing about this is you end up with free cable TV along with your internet regardless of if you use it or not.. But if you do don't be stupid & ask for a cable box or complain when your picture goes out.

You should have no problmes. I have done this at least 3 times.

Posted by: Aspirin popper | June 29, 2007 10:46 AM

I had the Vonage Wi-Fi phone. It rarely worked right and there are very few free wi-fi spots. I thought it would be great and tried it in the US, Germany and the Middle East and it was a bust. My Vonage Soft Phone worked somewhat.

T-Mobile's key differentiator is capitalizing on it's T-Mobile hotspots. They could truly supplant land lines. Who knows, in 5 years iPhone version 8.4938 might work with this and than you've really got something!
www.danmosqueda.blogspot.com

Posted by: Dan Mosqueda | June 29, 2007 2:26 PM

I really wish that, if land lines are actually on the way out, that someone would start thinking about the hearing impaired and providing additional cell phone amplification for those of us who are still dependent of their highly amplified landline phones. All of you who think those of us who still have land lines are stuck in the dark ages, should be glad that you can hear well enough to use a cell phone, period.

Posted by: Nocturne9 | June 29, 2007 4:50 PM

Can't charge your cell during a power failure? Ever hear of a car charger? We lost power here last winter. All I did was take the phone to the garage and plug it in to the cigarette lighter plug for a few hours at night while I was asleep. No big deal.

We have a landline for DSL, but we ditched our local dial-up phone service. All we ever got was telemarketers calling. Our family and friends all call us on our cells.

Posted by: TheSharkMan | July 3, 2007 10:19 PM