Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty

Mike Musgrove

Microsoft announced today it will extend the warranty on Xbox 360 video game consoles to three years, and said too many have succumbed to hardware failure.

Microsoft's corporate vice president of interactive entertainment, Peter Moore, has posted something of a mea culpa at the company's Xbox Web site. "Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about," he writes. "And frankly, we've not been doing a good enough job." The company says the policy change will cost the company $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2007.

The announcement comes on the eve of the video game industry's major trade show, E3, which kicks off next week in Santa Monica.

It also, for whatever it's worth, comes right as I've started to experience some sort of problem with my own Xbox 360 at home (guess I'll have to get to The Darkness and Forza 2 after the show...).

By Mike Musgrove  |  July 5, 2007; 6:01 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Is Your Boss A Pirate? | Next: Facebook Popularity Soars

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

For crying out loud, having had my 4th Xbox 360 break on me I was and still am pretty fed up. MS was trying to make me pay $140 for their mistake so I sold the broken system a month ago. Now they announce this warranty extension, well poo. However, some of the wording is still hazy. I am not sure if this warranty only helps those that are still under warranty or also helps people like me who are 2mos outside it? Oh well, mute point now.

Now here is the dilemma: Should I pay for a new 360 console knowing it will probably break and will not be able to play it for 2mos out of the year because I will be shipping it out to the repair center. Or do I go with the PS3 that actually has less gaming performance and absolutely no games! I am still pretty dang sour about the way I've been treated by MS...They better just thank their lucky stars that Mass Effect is a 360 exclusive!

Posted by: Kmach | July 5, 2007 7:50 PM

I'd still go with the 360, Im on my 3rd xbox now, but i got the warranty at best buy. All I had to do is walk in tell them my xbox was broke and they told me to go grab a new one and said i could keep what i wanted. So I actually had no xbox for a about an hour. Also with my last one breaking it gave me the opportunity to upgrade to an elite.

Posted by: Derk | July 6, 2007 10:54 AM

I agree with the last statement. If you're going to buy a shoddy made video game system, you have to buy the extra store warranty for brand new exchange. It's an extra 130 dollars or so, but it will save you a small fortune, since the avg full time gamers loses their system at least 1x/year!

I however have become disgusted with this practice of shoddy technology that seems designed to break so you pony up for a new one. I cannot keep losing money so what did I do? I stopped buying them until I hear that the system's bugs and hardware problems have been ironed out.

Perfect example is the Pentium Dual Core 800 series. Problems, problems, problems. What happened? The 900 series came out and solved the problems. The answer is not to be an early adopter and that will also keep demand lower, which means lower prices and sooner.

In a year or 2 the xbox 360 will be smaller, cheaper and packed with more features, so I'll buy it then. Even though it will have to go on a charge card :(

Posted by: anypersonwithsense? | July 6, 2007 11:49 AM

Mike : I know it's not the Post's responsibility to answer for MS's misdeeds, but wondering if there is any information out there on the actual failure rates for XBOX 360 consoles - the posts above make it sound like hard-core users expect to have to repair or replace their consoles frequently, something that seems to be unacceptable for a relatively expensive piece of consumer electronics, regardless of how complex.

Has MS said anything about how they plan to address hardware reliability & would newer consoles (particularly the Elite) offer any better reliability? The Peter Moore letter & Warranty FAQ on the Xbox website were pretty vague or didn't address these questions.

An extended warranty is nice, but doesn't address the inconvenience of waiting for a repair / replacement, particularly for serious gamers or those who are using it for more than just gaming (i.e. multimedia, IM's, etc).

Lastly, any info, even if just anecdotal, on reliability of the competition : Wii / PS3?

Posted by: Archer | July 16, 2007 1:48 PM

We are now on the 3rd Xbox360 in 7 months. We just picked this one up today and it has froze up on three different game now. The last one we got the red flashing light which I believe means the hard drive failed. Why does it seem that we are having so much problems with our xbox. I know other people who haven't had one break yet. Could we actually be doing something to harm our xbox 360? I can't think of a thing but this is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: Selina | July 20, 2007 11:32 PM

Posted by: Selina | July 20, 2007 11:32 PM

Posted by: Selina | July 20, 2007 11:32 PM

I am just about to send my xbox 360 to the repair center in Texas. I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it taks them to fix a xbox 360.

Posted by: Connor | July 28, 2007 8:42 PM