Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Ladies And Gentlemen: The World's Smallest Laptop

At the Qualcomm booth, one thing that caught my eye is what the company claims is the world's smallest laptop.

It's small alright, looking more like an oversized cellphone than a computer. The keyboard slides out from behind the screen. It weighs one pound and the company today introduced a 64-gig model.

The Qualcomm rep showed me how you can dock it to a station at your desk so you can use it at the office, and just take it home from there. "This is the only computer I ever use," she told me cheerily.

But looking at that tiny screen all day would turn me cross-eyed, even if I could plug in a regular-sized keyboard and mouse.

(Updated with photo at 10:15 p.m.)

By Kim Hart  |  January 7, 2008; 7:50 PM ET  | Category:  CES 2008 , Kim Hart
Previous: A Rare Find: Tranquil Space | Next: Searching in Three Dimensions

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

What no picture of it...huh?

Posted by: craig | January 7, 2008 9:22 PM

Well, there is a picture there now -- AT LAST.

But not to worry -- The company website of www.qualcomm.com doesn't even mention this new computer. Maybe tomorrow ???

Posted by: brucerealtor | January 8, 2008 12:06 AM

What cute but uninformative writing. *Can* you hook it up to a full keyboard? Can you hook it up to a monitor?

Posted by: aleks | January 8, 2008 10:21 AM

I've been test driving the OQO ulta mobile PC. www.oqo.com It's quite handy for travel. However, when I am at my desk or at home I utilize a 22" monitor, full size key board and mouse which conveniently connect to the docking station, so there is no fussing with reconnecting cables. I would be surprized if the Qualcomm model did not allow connection to a full size monitor...especially for those of us with baby boomer eyes.

Posted by: laurence diamond | January 8, 2008 1:18 PM

Remind me how this differs from the Nokia N810? Oh, yes, it doesn't run Linux, that's it. That Nokia thingy isn't a real computer as it does have an MS OS.

Posted by: Dave Beck | January 8, 2008 3:17 PM