Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

CDs Not Dead Yet

Kim Hart

Grim predictions about the music industry don't seem to be coming true just yet.

According to the results of a survey from the Pew Internet & American Life Project released last week, only 7 percent of consumers said the Internet plays a major impact on their music purchases. In contrast, 82 percent of respondents, and 69 percent of those under 35, still buy all or most of their music on CD. Fifteen percent, or 27 percent of those under 35, said half their purchases are digital singles.

Most music buyers say they rely on TV, radio and movies to find out about music, and a little more than half said online information had zero impact on their music purchases.

Nearly 70 percent said the Internet helped them find information about artists they already knew about. And 57 percent said they used Web sites, streaming music sites and Web radio to get introduced to new artists.

I imagine, If the survey had focused solely on the 12 to 24-year-old population, the results would have reflected a higher influence from the Internet. But the survey shows that there are still many people who'd rather own their music the old-fashioned way, rather than on an iPod or hard drive.

By Kim Hart  |  May 27, 2008; 8:00 AM ET  | Category:  Kim Hart
Previous: Google's Page Talks Wireless Policy | Next: Translating Digital Body Language

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

why the concern as to what form people use to buy their music??the overwhelming percentage of people have a musical IQ of 70 or under!!

Posted by: ludwig von beethoven | May 27, 2008 11:48 AM

So 69% of people 35 and under still buy CD's....that means that nearly one third of that age group do *not* buy CDs. Only a marketing shlub could interpret that as being good for the CD market. Twenty years ago the number would have been 99%. If things were so good for the CD market, then why did Tower close and why is Borders fazing out CD sales?

I really expect better reporting than this from the Post.

Posted by: BobOran | May 27, 2008 1:24 PM

First, this is a blog!

Secondly, I realize what is happening. If I can't at least get a 256 bit rate, then I buy the music at the big box store. Then, transfer the disc to my hard drive using non-Apple software. Otherwise, if I can get a DMR-free, 256 bit rate song, then it's a ching-ching at the iTunes store.

Posted by: umm.huh | May 27, 2008 2:43 PM

I rarely buy complete CD's unless its an artist that I really like, but it still depends on a variety of circumstances that determines where I will buy it. The price, gift certificate, bonus tracks, but I would say 99% of my music comes from downloading. In fact I spent yesterday downloading free songs from Amazon.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:58 PM

If the music isn't of the best quality why would anyone want to listen to it? I'll stick with CDs until there aren't anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 28, 2008 11:13 PM

The reason CD's still rule is that:

(a) There is no DRM (copy protection) on CD's. You buy then, copy to your computer, then you can put it on any device without restrictions.

(b) If you get tired of a CD, you can sell it to anyone. With electronic downloads, you bought it, it's yours.

(c) There are great deals to had buying CD's used.

(d) Places like Sony/BMG Music clubs routinely sell CD's for about $6 delivered to your door

(e) With the exception of Amazon's MP3 downloads, most deliver music in a proprietary, obscure, or copy protected way. Itunes downloads have copy protection and are in a format that only iPods play. "Plays for Sure" uses a very proprietary WMA format and is heavily copy protected...and it doesn't play for sure!

(f) In terms of sound, the CD blows away every download service.

(g) CD's give you obsolescence protection. In 5 years when there is the "next new iPod", you take your CD's rip them to your hard drive in the new music format and you're set.

Until music downloads are about 10 cents each with no copy protection and let me load to any music player I want and have better sound quality, they will be a poor 2nd choice to CDs.

Posted by: Ombudsman | May 29, 2008 5:40 AM

If you really care about the sound, the 'old fashioned way' should mean vinyl!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 8:48 AM

old fashioned? you mean 1/2" tape? copper plate? how about learning the song and singing it yourself? Now That's Entertainment!!!

Posted by: grendelfots | June 8, 2008 11:15 AM

this is very interesting.
Todd WIlliam