Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Eddie Izzard's IPhone

Mike Musgrove

British comedian Eddie Izzard isn't famous for his consumer tech humor, as far as I know, but he worked many observations and riffs about technology into his act last night at DAR Constitution Hall.

Izzard, known by some for his role on the TV program The Riches, and to others for his stand-up comedy, made cracks last night about Bill Gates, Wikipedia, and Macs during his nearly-two-hour show.

He even yanked out his iPhone at one point, as he was asking and joking around with the crowd about what year the U.S. got universal suffrage. Faster typists than he looked up the year and yelled it out before he pulled up the answer.

My favorite part of his tech-related material was when he mentioned the ever-so-slightly guilty feeling that you get when you're updating iTunes and click on the button that indicates you've read (and agree to) the software's legal "terms and conditions" even though you haven't.

"No one person in the world has read the terms and conditions," he declared. "I got halfway through once... and had to kill myself." And, he asked, just how many times are we going to have to indicate that we've read the "terms and conditions" before companies like Apple start believing us?

Izzard joked about not knowing how to feel about Bill Gates. After all, "he's giving away billions... but he's keeping billions."

He also told a story about an iPhone-using lion who was tricked into thinking he's in Paris, thanks to some tricky giraffes and a dodgy GPS system. Izzard backed up the veracity of some of his tales by exclaiming "it's on Wikipedia!" (Izzard joked that Wikipedia is actually written by "three people in a toilet" and that he checks his Wiki entry every day.)

By the way, D.C.: If you're going to spend half the show checking your text messages, like a couple of folks in front of me last night, please hold your phone up high enough so the folks behind you can also read them and see what's so important.

Izzard worked in another couple of good tech cracks, but I'm off this morning to try and find a copy of a popular new video game. If you were at the show, and taking notes, please post away...

By Mike Musgrove  |  May 2, 2008; 11:23 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Another Jab At 'White Spaces' | Next: GTA IV: 6 Million Sold

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sorry, didn't go, going tonight...

Posted by: Hemisphire | May 2, 2008 11:59 AM

thanks for the article. went to the show last night -- but couldn't hear a thing....the person in charge of acoustics should be fired.

Posted by: tom | May 2, 2008 1:23 PM

Monkey monkey monkey monkey monkey YOU

Posted by: STIV | May 2, 2008 5:11 PM

We were at last night's show. It was one of the most frustrating experiences! We were only three rows from the stage and could only hear about a quarter of what was said. We agree the person in charge of acoustics should be fired! Thank goodness for YouTube. This morning we were able to view the routines we missed.

Posted by: Cam | May 2, 2008 9:00 PM

badgers can't be choosers. look it up.

Posted by: bwistar | May 3, 2008 8:39 AM

what a waste of internet space !

Posted by: dah | May 3, 2008 9:13 AM

I was at the Friday nite show, in row 8, and had no trouble hearing...granted, Eddie does think/talk really fast, so I probably missed some of the jokes, but not because of faulty sound...I did learn, however, that I should never cover my neighbors' ox...

Posted by: karen | May 3, 2008 6:16 PM

We went to show Thurs night, were one of about a hundred people in our section who left 45 minutes into the show due to acoustics. i can't believe post did not write about that. there was a huge crowd of fans in lobby asking for money back. literally could not hear a word he was saying. sound person tried the "minimalist" approach by plugging two boom boxes on stage as only sound for whole place. i hope they were fired.

Posted by: Alex | May 5, 2008 8:34 AM

We were about 20 rows back at Thursday's show. It was sad that we couldn't understand alot of what Eddie said. I remember a guy shouting out early in the show, asking Eddie to hold the mic closer because people in the back couldn't hear. I hope that Friday's show was better. I did wait at the stage door and met Eddie and talked with him for a few minutes. It was worth being there for that alone. Will have to get the DVD to see the show and figure out what most of it was about.

Posted by: Joanne | May 7, 2008 7:25 PM