Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Sony Pulls PS3 Update After Users Report Problems

Mike Musgrove

PlayStation 3 owners had been looking forward to the features offered with a downloadable update for the game system's operating system due this week. But looks like some of the software bugs might not have been squashed before the update, called version 2.40, went online yesterday. Sony has taken the update down following some reports that the software is causing problems for some users.

Tech sites that took an early look at were impressed by the new tools, designed to let PS3 owners chat with each other and play their own music instead of a game's soundtrack. But it seems, over at Sony's online forums for the PS3, that for some users the update has crippled their systems.

I asked Patrick Seybold, the director of corporate communications for Sony's U.S. PlayStation division about the issues. His response:

"We are aware of a limited number of consumers experiencing an issue with installing firmware 2.40 on PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to enabling the community and XMB access features delivered in the 2.40 update. In order to further assess the issue, we have temporarily taken the firmware off-line for further testing. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up."

By Mike Musgrove  |  July 3, 2008; 9:34 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: IPO Drought: A Crisis for the Start-up Community? | Next: Scrabble vs. Scrabulous, Take Two

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sony Pulls PS3 Update After Users Report Problems:

» ??" from "淘宝
???? read more »

Tracked on October 16, 2010 4:17 PM

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Who can I get mad at?
WHO?!

And umm.. can you thank them for not testing it out before sending it out to everyone.

Posted by: David | July 3, 2008 10:59 AM

it worked fine for me, and a bunch of my friends

Posted by: mets0408 | July 3, 2008 11:30 AM

This was not Sony's fault they did do there tests, this only happened to a few consoles over the net, there has been no pattern found as of yet, but its probably some sort of corrupt data on the users hard drive that caused it to lock up. some people have found that if you remove the hard drive and format it else where the problem would be fixed. hope this helped anyone

Posted by: PS3/xbox/wii User | July 3, 2008 1:34 PM

It works fine for me too. It's great, actually. I am able to check my messages and enable my bluetooth headset without exiting the game. AWESOME!!! thank you Sony.

Posted by: PS3User | July 3, 2008 1:36 PM

I really don't think this is a widespread problem, I have had no problems with the new update......Thank You Sony

Posted by: PS3 Owner | July 3, 2008 2:26 PM

it corrupted my system
i was looking forward to it and then my system just crashed
i thought it was only my system but then i was happy to hear that it happened to otehrs too
just so im not the onyl one and they dont charge me since my warrantys done

Posted by: mehh | July 3, 2008 7:15 PM

no problems here, I have the 80GB PS3-metal gear bundle.

Posted by: transient_dreamer | July 3, 2008 10:53 PM

i checked the next day after the update was released but it wasn't there no more... good thing i didn't download it... sorry to the others who experienced problems... and to those who dont cool now you have an update that others dont have yet

Posted by: SAINTLOKE | July 4, 2008 1:38 AM

My 60GB PLAYSTATION works perfectly with firmware version 2.40. The only people having issues are the people using Linux or trying to hack the PS3. This update is not damage you can still get it from the official PlayStation website. All of my buddies have their PS3 with firmware version 2.40 no problems, install it and stop trying to make it look bad is flawless.

Posted by: Ivan_PSP | July 4, 2008 5:22 AM

i downloaded the update, and 2 days later, the ps3 whated to format my hdd, i had limited data backed up but i now seem to be ok

Posted by: sam | July 5, 2008 10:37 AM

Absolutely fresh idea - million dollar site http://www.buckcounter.com - no more pixels :)
Don't forget to tell your friends

Posted by: Zorro | July 6, 2008 1:02 PM

Does the PS3 chat offer avatars? If they don't, it'd be kinda cool if they did.

Posted by: Peanut | July 7, 2008 3:23 PM

I updated... now I can't play any PS2 or PS3 games. Somehow I can play PLAYSTATION twisted metal on my hard drive. I have all of the other functions (music, internet explorer, and search) except for function of playing games. Alots of fun.

Posted by: rollingstone70 | July 15, 2008 10:39 PM