Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Sony Re-releases PS3 Updates

Mike Musgrove

Last week, I posted an item about how Sony had to take a software update for the PlayStation 3 down after it caused problems for some users who downloaded it to their systems.

The PlayStation blog now says they have fixed the problem and put the update back online. If anybody has any thoughts about the new features offered in version 2.41 of the PS3 software, please post away.

By Mike Musgrove  |  July 8, 2008; 5:50 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Activision Blizzard: It's Official | Next: Peer Pressure in Online Shopping

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

It is alot better we needed it for the PS3
Now you cant compare the 360 or the wii
they both are not as good you can do so much more with PS3

Posted by: Kyle Armstrong | July 8, 2008 8:44 PM

NEED PATCHES FOR EXISTING TITLES - I YEARN TO JAM

Posted by: MATT | July 8, 2008 11:34 PM

wow...weirrd

Posted by: pishi | July 8, 2008 11:54 PM

the new up date{2.41) has given myself and
my friends nothing but nightmares, it hasn't fixed a thing only made matters worse. I wasn't experiencing a problem with 2.4 but now my ps3 is going mental, it will say no friends online yet i am getting messages from them and much more problems. sony will no doubt release another update within a week or two. this
is not up standard

Posted by: Gaius | July 9, 2008 6:14 AM

I've installed the 2.40 no problems, installed 2.41 and is working perfect.

Hope that you guys solve yor problems soon.

PS3 40GB version(US) changed HDD for a 250GB. PSN id draconus787 (yu cn add me if you want)

Posted by: Draconus | July 9, 2008 10:19 AM

Every update has worked on my 20 GB since day one and my 80 GB has also downloaded all the updates since March of this year.

No complaints, just happy to get updated functionality over time...cost-free.

Posted by: Jonathan CheeseburgerWithFries | July 9, 2008 10:54 AM

Update 2.41 works great didn't get the 2.4.. I have a 60gb model PSN id Kanzass.. never had any issues with my PS3 and have had it since the first month they came out.. Just heard the auxillary fan come on for the first time ever the other day.. man that thing is loud.. anyway these functions should have been present from day one... by the time they finish the update the PS4 will be here...
BTW where is home

Posted by: KANZASS | July 9, 2008 11:13 AM

80gb PS3 no problem with 2.41 download.
Sounds like gaius, is that prononced gay-us, is a 360 owner or switch from dail up.

Posted by: #1 | July 9, 2008 1:10 PM

Gaius is a lier,provably some xbox fanboy.
i got no issues with the updates,nither my friends.

Posted by: OMEN | July 9, 2008 3:19 PM

my ps3 is working great (80G) i downloaded the 2.41 update and its working fine, but when i try to play a music track on top of the game it says this content can not be played during this game, is it beacuse only some games can do that.

Posted by: number23 | July 9, 2008 3:26 PM

gaius isnt lying...my friend has the 60gb ps3 and he experienced the same problem...he couldnt see anyone online but he could read our messages. i dont know if its because of the firmware but he did experience that. although when he restarted the ps3 it worked fine again.

Posted by: pistol0 | July 9, 2008 3:40 PM

why can't i play my music ingames? I thought this patch was going to allow that!

Posted by: huh | July 9, 2008 4:01 PM

Web browser functionality have changed a bit!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 4:28 PM

I have the 40 and 60 gig and the firmware work. Long story why i have two lol but the both 2.40 and 2.41 work fine. But the in game xmb is pretty useless apart from being able to send and recieve messages hasnt realy given any other new features. like being able to play music in game dont work on any of the titles i have or my friends have. Oh and the trophy thing has anyone got any?

Posted by: AC | July 9, 2008 5:49 PM

my update took 3 hours then when i am playing it lags for one game. Then when i try to send a message to a friend when playing it somtimes says it cant be done. i have to do the internet connection test just so i could log on. so the update(2.41) is driving me cray!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: OMG!!! | July 9, 2008 6:09 PM

man i got the 80 gb ps3 did the update i can listen to music on top of games even gta iv

Posted by: mo-g | July 9, 2008 8:04 PM

the ps3 rocks

Posted by: nat | July 9, 2008 8:05 PM

Working well. I didn't have any problems with 2.40 (nor did anyone I know), 2.41 is also fine.

The Trophy support is limited by supporting games, at the moment, but this will change, as will support for the ingame music..

Basically Sony have laid the foundations, this seasons big hitters will be delivering the goods ontop...

Build them trophies now, and have a nice shiny trophy cabinet for when Home launches later this year.

Posted by: Mark | July 10, 2008 4:55 AM

I have all 3 consoles, and with this latest update, it finally puts PS3 top of the pile. Sony have brought the online functionality to within a hairs width of the 360's offering, but of course keeping it free..

Time to finally trade in my 360 for a pile of PS3 games I think....

Posted by: Stewie | July 10, 2008 4:57 AM

All that trouble for a XMB Crossbar that does nothing.

Posted by: Michael | July 10, 2008 12:08 PM

Ok, so now I have a clock, what will they think of in the next year.

Posted by: Mary | July 10, 2008 12:09 PM

Still can't chat, still cant even listen to a song.

Posted by: Sony MOD | July 10, 2008 12:10 PM

It's worthless and does nothing.

Posted by: Goerge | July 10, 2008 12:11 PM

oh iz working absolutely fine . great now u can chat with ur friends while playing game kool i like it

Posted by: sumit | July 10, 2008 1:09 PM

ps3 is the best and you & i am getting it soon in this summer holidays

Posted by: zack | July 10, 2008 2:30 PM

i updated, flash videos are glitchy now. Will gt5 prologue be updated for custom music? The supplied soundtrack is so bad i wanna die.

Posted by: inuk2600 | July 10, 2008 5:31 PM

disappointed that i cant play my own music off my harddrive

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 9:52 PM

i have the 80 gig 2.40 never gave me a problem neither did 2.41 i like being able
to chat with clan members while im in a game also like being able to go into setting for my bluetooth headset
it saves me some time i just wish
all the games i have had trophy support
and ingame music but i bet devs are working on it as we speak

Posted by: grimmz357 | July 11, 2008 10:10 AM

The 2.41 upgrade seems to have caused my PS3 to not be able to read CDs. I had no problems with the 2.40 upgrade. As soon as I upgraded to 2.41( and I mean within an hour afterwards), my Blu-Ray movies and all my PS3 games would lock up after a short period of time. I have tried multiple restores (including a hard reboot and full format) and nothing works. My PS3 isn't completely "bricked", but it might as well be. Luckily, my PS3 is still under warranty, and Sony says they'll repair / replace it (their option, of course), but it's going to suck having to wait a month or more to get my PS3 working again...

Anyone else having the same problem? I've seen some other people out there on the internet with the same problem, but it seems like the majority of people didn't have problems with the 2.41 upgrade.

My console is a 60 GB model, bought Sep 2007. Maybe 2.41 just messes up certain models? If anyone else is having a similar problem, please speak up. If there's enough people affected, maybe Sony will release another patch (God forbid! LOL)...

Posted by: Ozzy1313 | July 12, 2008 5:41 PM

ive noticed not just because of the update but on my 60 gig, my friends list just doesnt show up. Thats one of the reasons why i had to get new ps3. so if anyone knows how to solve this problem plz add me. my playstation network id is "aercc"
thanks

Posted by: AC. | July 13, 2008 12:11 PM

2.41 completely bricked my ps3. Everytime I turn it on I'm greeted with "your hard drive is corrupted and pathetically it's the 80gig with MGS4 I got the first day it came out.
I didn't have internet for 2.4 so I figured I could rely on this supposed "fix" so I didn't have a single thing backed up.
I've been with sony since the ps1 but this is simply disgusting, get your **** together sony, this update is like a year late, patched once already, and barely even does anything! Yet they still can't get it to work, atleast for me.
If it actually brought ingame soundtracks, like it was supposed to, I'd be less sore but thats just the cherry on the **** sandwich, now I have to pray that all the devs for my games feel like patching a feature that should have been included since launch. Many simply won't because they're old enough that few care about them anymore, Oblivion, or because they somehow think their music selection is the only possible one that suits their game even tho thats irrelevent on the 360, I'm lookin at you GTA 4.
I've got gigs of music and a big ass stereo that should be usable for game effects and my music at the same time but some devs are just too retarded to realize that custom soundtracks = replay value = sales, atleast for some.

Posted by: nerull | July 13, 2008 2:56 PM

the 2.40 update didn't cause me any problems, but now that i've installed 2.41, my system won't read any discs at all. it just leaves the loading icon up in the top right corner whenever i put a disc in, and nothing happens. My console is a 60 GB model.

Posted by: andre | July 13, 2008 11:33 PM

Nerull, go buy an xbox if your not happy!!! The ingame cross bar rocks!!! We dont want to listen to you cry..

Posted by: Nero | July 17, 2008 10:28 AM