The Bloggers

Tim Russert Dies

Patricia Sullivan

Meet the Press host Tim Russert died today. Our story online; we'll have a fuller story later.

By Patricia Sullivan |  June 13, 2008; 3:50 PM ET  | Category:  Patricia Sullivan
Previous: Untidy Lives, Family Warfare | Next: Tim Russert

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

A man like Tim Russert comes along once in a life time. Tim made politics not only interesting but enjoyable. His loss will be felt by many . I for one will miss him. To his family my deepest condolences...Sis

Posted by: thunder bay ontario - sis | June 13, 2008 7:31 PM

My sympathies to those close to Mr. Russert. 58 is too young. I think he was overweight and was an overeater. I think those close to him should have done more to help him have a healthier lifestyle.

Posted by: Karl | June 13, 2008 9:16 PM

I am sad. I trusted Tim Russert to report honestly and intelligently. We are left the lesser.

Posted by: Martiniano | June 13, 2008 9:24 PM

I was stunned...just stunned......This is one man im going to miss.....Im really sad......it's unbelievable..so young......

Posted by: diane goldberg | June 13, 2008 9:25 PM

Rest in peace Mr. Russert. You seemed to be an extremely likeable guy, and one that could connect with everyone out there. You made politics interesting, and we've lost a great deal today.

I wish we could've had a beer together. We wish your family peace and comfort during this horrible time.

Posted by: See | June 13, 2008 10:59 PM

What a decent, decent man who showed every day how he loves and is proud of this country. Its very rare to see someone of his stature to say how truly proud they are to be an American, and acutally mean it. He was a person of genuine integrity and honesty, who never let his politcal beliefs interfere in doing his job as a journalist. The world has lost one of the last honorable journalists and he will be truly missed.

Posted by: Saddened Republican | June 13, 2008 11:16 PM

MY PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCE TO THE FAMILY OF MR. TIM RUSSERT.MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND REST IN PEACE MR. TIM RUSSERT.

Posted by: CIRILO CABLITAS'VEGAS | June 14, 2008 2:59 AM

Several years ago, I was taking my son to Coach Wooten's camp in western Maryland. And there was Tim Russert in shirt and shorts and ball cap taking his son also. He was totally unassuming, just a regular dad who had taken the time out for the long drive that Sunday. Actions speak louder than words. Some people just reaffirm our belief in basic humanity, and they are an example of real family values.

Posted by: eastport1 | June 14, 2008 7:06 AM

As a former press secretary in the U.S. Senate, it was always a highlight to take the boss over to Meet the Press. Tim Russert treated everyone with the same level of respect and genuine affection, no matter their position in Washington's egocentric culture. He was as affable and interested toward the guy who served eggs in the "green" room as he was to the U.S. Senator he was about to cross examine in front of millions of viewers. At one party for his son Luke who was launching a sports show with James Carville, I told Russert that he must be very proud. I have never seen such genuine love from any dad and at that moment, Tim Russert became one of my heroes. It occurs to me looking back at his career, perhaps what Tim displayed most is what the media lacks the most: a civility about the game of politics that helped inform us better, keep us interested, and reinforce a sense that fair play is fair play and that those who practice it always, in the long run, come out the winner. Tim Russert was not only a sports fanatic, but a gregarious spectator in the game of life and he was indeed, one of the winners.

Posted by: David Snepp | June 14, 2008 7:33 AM

A brilliant, fair man and journalist is lost to us all. Timkept integrity to Journalism. My deepest sypmathy to his wife Maureen, to his son Luke, and his Father Russ, and his sisters. I shall miss him during this presidential run, not only for his wit, but for the true newsman he was. May God keep him safe in his arms.

Posted by: Susan Misakonis | June 14, 2008 8:32 AM

We in the www.mabuhayradio.com wrote this obituary, Tim Russert (1950-2008) Will Always Be Remembered on Father's Day

We wrote also on June 16, 2007, an article that has this lead paragraph: "Yesterday was Father's Day. One of the best tributes to American Fathers is broadcast journalist Tim Russert's book, 'Wisdom of Our Fathers (Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons).'"

We in the Filipino-American press grieve on the passing of an American broadcasting and literary giant.

Posted by: Bobby M. Reyes | June 14, 2008 9:48 AM

I will miss his pleasant smiling face and the tough question for his guest. What a shock. I may recall this moment just as I recalled the JFK asassination many years ago. We will all remember just what we were doing when we got the news.

Posted by: Jay Freeman | June 14, 2008 9:51 AM

Journalists help us to understand what we need to know so we can navigate through this ever complex world. Through his untimely death, Tim Russert has shown us that understanding what's really important isn't nearly so complex. Faith, devotion to family and honesty are the building blocks of a successful life. It's too bad we had to lose such a fine man to bring those facts into focus.

Posted by: Dan Monaghan | June 14, 2008 9:54 AM

can not imagine Sundays without him. What a sad and devastating event before a Father's day and just after proud celebration of Son's graduation. I wish his family all the strength to recover from this tragedy.

Posted by: nagalpura viswanath | June 14, 2008 10:39 AM

Why does it matter why he died-alchohol, weight, eating habits, or genetics? This was a great newsman, and more importantly a great person. We should be focused on celebrating his life, not critizing him for what he may have enjoyed while alive.

Posted by: RLB | June 14, 2008 10:56 AM

Tim Russert was a giant in the worlds of journalism and politics, and an all-around good man who was deeply spiritual. I will miss his insightful commentary during the upcoming elections, and the world will miss his essential decency and fairness. My condolences to his family and all who knew him.

Posted by: Susan Eisenberg | June 14, 2008 11:08 AM

To the Russert family, our deepest and most heartfelt sympathy; words fail to express the emotions and the shock of his sudden passing. We have lost a highly respected, gentle, brilliant, civil and incisive member of the press. You have lost a loving and devoted husband, caring father, and a son to make any father burst with pride. Our enduring hope is to have just one tenth of one percent of the positive impact Tim Russert had on the Nation and his family during his 58 years on this earth. Sunday mornings will never be the same again.

May God comfort the Russert family in your time of sorrow and leave only cherished memories of his loving devotion to family, friends, the city of Buffalo and those who were privileged to enjoy his very human, down-to-earth news coverage.

Posted by: Roy & Lendra Horton | June 14, 2008 11:47 AM

You were a role model for me. God bless your family as they cope with your loss. I am devastated and feel as if I lost my best friend. Goodbye Tim, earth's loss is heavens gain.

Posted by: kathleen caulkett | June 14, 2008 1:21 PM

The entire world is in shock over the death of Tim Russert, but there is a deeper message here too. Here is a man who died at 58, too young. He battled his weight and his weight fluctuated over the years if you will look at those old Meet the Press clips. He was a larger man.It can't be denied that one of the reason for the death was his size. Everyone who is being gracious and everyone seems to dance around the hard issue here-carrying too much weight will kill you.

Posted by: Noel Cook | June 15, 2008 2:33 PM

How very sad it is for all of us to lose a good and gentle man like Tim Russert. I admired him as a journalist but most of all as a kind and loving husband, and a deeply devoted dad. The Russert family and all his friends and colleagues have our sympathy. A former Rochesterian now living in Chicago.

Posted by: Jacqueline Chesler | June 15, 2008 8:39 PM

Tim was an inspiration to many. I admired his interview techniques. He asked a question, and then waited for the answer. Most moderators continuously interrupt their guests and never let them speak. Tim was as good a listener as he was a questioner. His loyallty to his family and his roots showed in the way he lived his life. Always giving thanks to his family, teachers, Catholic Church and his home town roots. You will be missed, Tim.

Posted by: Pat Wozny | June 18, 2008 9:22 PM